Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jaspoon12

Congrats dude! Super annoying for me, I had two getting bre checked , came back the exact same. 48 and 48 😪
    Daly29 wrote: »
    Best of luck everyone on the rechecks, I received mine in the post there.

I needed Company to go from a 42 to a pass to get my magic three.

Recheck came back as 54. Very happy.

Anyone who says that it is totting up of marks again is obviously wrong.

It looks to me that you have the best chance of going up in Company. I received a lot of messages where people had gone up significantly in this subject or heard of people who had. The external examiner marks much fairer than the internal and thankfully the original mark doesn't seem to affect them when rechecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JHalpin

Same, I sent in a recheck of 42 hoping to be marked up as it would give me the Magic three. but to no avail, I'm a bit raging but then again not surprised having read this thread and seeing a few people say the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Do you have a link for more information on this?

There’s no information online about it yet, it seems - an email was sent to people who’d passed the FE1s but not yet started PPC1 last week. Text of the email is in the PPC1 2019 thread here on boards. Presumably it will be publicly announced at some point, but they’re taking applications for it soon so would want to hurry up.

It’s frustrating that such an important development has been communicated in this way - but that’s the Law Society for you, it seems. Even the top five firms don’t seem know much about it. A friend of mine with a traineeship offer for 2020 in a top 5 got an email saying they weren’t planning to let their trainees take this option right now (which makes sense - they’re already in Dublin and getting paid to do the course, and the hours those firms require aren’t exactly conducive to doing an online course in the evenings.)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

I spoke to a person I know in the Education Centre in the LS.
    It Jan - November and it's a Fri/Sat/Sun once a month in Dublin.
    There's 2 weeks during the year too.
    You start the 2 year phase in November 2020 then.
    You can subtract 5 months if working in a firm during the PPC1 as credit.

I think those relying on FE1s in Autumn to do it will be allocated limited places, if any are left, so I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wunwun11

I'm Just starting Company Law for the first if anyone could give a heads up on what the esential topics to cover are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Apologies if this is slightly off topic, I'm just looking for some advice. Am considering retraining to be a solicitor but am nearing 40. In an accounts position at the moment but it's not an area I have much interest in - I sort of fell into it. Is there anyone here that has decided to take the plunge late in life? I don't have a family or mortgage to worry about so it's something I could focus fully on. I competed a law degree 5 years ago and it's always been in the back of my mind to do this but the circumstances were never right. So am I mad?!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Apologies if this is slightly off topic, I'm just looking for some advice. Am considering retraining to be a solicitor but am nearing 40. In an accounts position at the moment but it's not an area I have much interest in - I sort of fell into it. Is there anyone here that has decided to take the plunge late in life? I don't have a family or mortgage to worry about so it's something I could focus fully on. I competed a law degree 5 years ago and it's always been in the back of my mind to do this but the circumstances were never right. So am I mad?!

No you're not mad. I'll be 40 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Not at all, plenty of people do it in their 30s or older! If you’ve done your research and are sure it’s something you want then why not. Having an accounts background would probably be useful for lots of practice areas as well

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Depends on what you're searching for. I'm 35 and have passed the FE1s and poised to go to Blackhall. However, I've decided on a slightly different route now after spending time in-practice(s).
    The actual environment is quite similar so maybe do an Internship first and see if it's for you. Keep in mind it'll take about 4 years (incl FE1s..... 5 yrs if your FE1s slow you down ) albeit we'll all be working to 70 so there's plenty of work left on you lol!!! I know a guy about 50 doing a traineeship with a Big 5 firm now!!
    Find a local firm willing to back you/ give you a taste.
    Spoiler alert: there's a lot of paper-pushing/ repetition. It's not like the tv dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thanks folks, I think I will give the FE1s a go next spring and take it from there! Will try and line up an internship before that to get a taste for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

Jaspoon12 wrote: »
    Congrats dude! Super annoying for me, I had two getting bre checked , came back the exact same. 48 and 48 😪

Happened to me before, my company re-check came back and they marked me down. But thankfully this time they brought me up 14% in company. So just want to say that re-checks are definitely worth it. As someone said before on this thread, if it's your last exam definitely go for it. If it wasn't for this forum I'd just leave it and wouldn't bother with a re-check so thanks to whoever posted that comment. I owe you one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Has anyone here enrolled in Griffith College? Specifically, I'm looking for someone who has access to the Sample Answers they provide. I desperatley need material for Constitutional law. Haven't glanced at it in any significant detail since first year college.

Mod
    Pls do not discuss individual colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Yohnathan wrote: »
    PM me with your email address. I'll send you what I have. If anyone else needs them, then you can provide them to them! I don't need anything in return.

Would you mind sending me on the Constitutional materials please? I tried contacting Jewles to no avail. I'll happilly pass it on if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DoomDaDa

Hi.
    Would someone be able to share the syllabus for Tort please?

Thanks in advance

DoomDaDa wrote: »
    Hi.

Thanks in advance

The syllabus for all the subjects is on the Law Society website

DoomDaDa wrote: »
    Hi.

Thanks in advance

The syllabus for all the subjects is on the Law Society website

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Does anyone have up to date grids for EU, property or tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Would be much appreciated if someone could PM me and up to date grid for tort!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

For contract would anyone recommend bringing in the legislation or do you really need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Updated Grids for Contract and Constitutional required please

also if anybody has any of those handy dandy << recent case law >> sheets for either of the above that would be fab.

I got lots of random bits here and there for most other subjects to give in return

• Advertisement

Hi Guys. I'm doing the following but I don't have a copy of March's papers so don't know what came up. If you don't mind can you let me know please? Whichever ones you recall. Thanks.

1. Tort
    2. Company
    3. Property
    4. Constitution

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

KMPT wrote: »
    Hi Guys. I'm doing the following but I don't have a copy of March's papers so don't know what came up. If you don't mind can you let me know please? Whichever ones you recall. Thanks.

1. Tort
    2. Company
    3. Property
    4. Constitution

Easiest to do might be to order the paper for E6.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Become-a-Solicitor/Order-Past-Exam-Papers/Exam-Papers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

lisac223 wrote: »
    For contract would anyone recommend bringing in the legislation or do you really need it?

Definitely bring it in. I passed contact last time out, 50% on the nose. I clawed out a fifth answer using just the legislation. You're virtually guaranteed a question on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Hi, I am sitting the FE1s in October for the first time and was wondering how you all planned your study? I haven’t a clue how to approach making a study plan as there is just chapter after chapter. The exams I will be sitting are Company, EU, equity and criminal.

Thanks

Daly29 wrote: »

Thanks. Do you know if that €6 is for all 8 per sitting (spring or autumn) or if it's €6 per subject?

Hi, I am sitting the FE1s in October for the first time and was wondering how you all planned your study? I haven’t a clue how to approach making a study plan as there is just chapter after chapter. The exams I will be sitting are Company, EU, equity and criminal.

Thanks

Start with exam grids. You need to cover as many topics as possible to guarantee 5 questions but there are some you could leave out or spend less time on. The exam grids will guide you.

Once you have an idea how many topics you're covering you could start making notes. And attempt past papers as you go along. It's not a fool proof way but it works for some people. Everyone is different. Some people jump straight into the questions and take it from there. Others study and then closer to the exams they do their own mock exams. But I think once you know which topics you're covering and you actually start you'll find your own strategy. Good luck!

Thank you so so much. I have exam grids, but they only go as far as 2017, so I will have to add in the 2019 topics ASAP. Thank you!

Thank you so so much. I have exam grids, but they only go as far as 2017, so I will have to add in the 2019 topics ASAP. Thank you!

I have up to last year for company and criminal so I'll PM you later this evening.

That would be amazing, thank you so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

KMPT wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you know if that €6 is for all 8 per sitting (spring or autumn) or if it's €6 per subject?

It's 6 for the 8 subjects, so for the sitting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement