Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you go school in Waterford?

Options

Comments

kfallon wrote: »
    Yer man O'Doherty's missus came in for a few months as a sub teacher! I remember he gave us a lecture one day that we weren't to be messing and if he heard any stories he'd be down on us like a ton of bricks! We hadn't even seen the sub at this stage. Found out the next day it was his missus, as usual he was acting the big man, tit!

Mr. O'Doherty was well hard man. :P

He used to scream at me and try to intimidate me when I was 14, wish I was hard enough to try and scare little kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Mr. O'Doherty was well hard man. :P

He used to scream at me and try to intimidate me when I was 14, wish I was hard enough to try and scare little kids.

The only thing tough about him was his shirts, they had to be to stand the big sweat stains under his arms :rolleyes:

Absolutely clueless as a teacher too, couldn't teach a cat to drink milk!

kfallon wrote: »
    The only thing tough about him was his shirts, they had to be to stand the big sweat stains under his arms :rolleyes:

Absolutely clueless as a teacher too, couldn't teach a cat to drink milk!

He used to always go on about how the leaving cert is the most important exam in our life, if we fail then we will be stuck in dead end jobs etc

He loved the sound of his own voice so much. He really wasn't suited to being around young people. He used to go red in the face and scream at people for the slightest things, man had serious anger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He used to always go on about how the leaving cert is the most important exam in our life, if we fail then we will be stuck in dead end jobs etc

He loved the sound of his own voice so much. He really wasn't suited to being around young people. He used to go red in the face and scream at people for the slightest things, man had serious anger issues.

He had serious teaching issues too....in that he couldn't teach!

Luckily once my Junior Cert was over I had nothing to do with him ever again. I remember one day in class he told me "kfallon you're just a very boring person" after he had given us another bullshít story about some cool thing he'd done over the weekend and he caught me rolling my eyes. He was hoping for a reaction from me......I just gave him a little smile and said nothing, he didn't like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭silverbella

Went to the mercy in the mid-late 90's primary and secondary and I have to say I have great memories of both! After reading some of jennyfurrs memories I have to say mine seem like the couldn't be more different! I'm definitely not from a wealthy family and am far too uncoordinated and lazy to be into sports and athletics but most of the teachers were great and would still stop and say hello if I saw them on the street! I saw my old year head in Supervalu a month or 2 ago and we chatted for about 20 mins! There were some old battle axes now don't get me wrong but for me the good definitely outweighed the bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Went to the mercy in the mid-late 90's primary and secondary and I have to say I have great memories of both! After reading some of jennyfurrs memories I have to say mine seem like the couldn't be more different! I'm definitely not from a wealthy family and am far too uncoordinated and lazy to be into sports and athletics but most of the teachers were great and would still stop and say hello if I saw them on the street! I saw my old year head in Supervalu a month or 2 ago and we chatted for about 20 mins! There were some old battle axes now don't get me wrong but for me the good definitely outweighed the bad!

It could my unfortunate luck of the draw with teachers. I know I had some good/ok-ish teachers while I was there. Sister Gerry (spelling? pronounced with a hard G) was a wonderful primary school teacher I had and gave nuns a good name. My sister also went, she was a few years ahead of me, and had a great time. But my experience was overwhelmingly negative. I would put my hands up and say it was all in my head if it weren't for the fact that I changed schools. After I changed I couldn't have been happier. While in the Mercy I would have severe panic attacks and felt nothing but dread when I passed those doors. I pity my poor mother and the amount of effort she went through trying to get me to go to school. I could go on and on, and the amount of stories I could tell would bore the arse off of you but I won't to try to convince you that I had a bad time. If your time was good there, I'm happy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nite Klub

De La Salle, Leaving Cert 1979. There was a lot of violence from Brothers and Teachers alike but only 2 that were touchy feely, both Brothers. Never laid a hand on me thankfully but during PE one day, one boy got the full force of a sliothar into the goolies and one of the Brothers put a hand down the front of the boys shorts to massage said goolies. I was playing in goals that day and in happened 10 yards or so from me and I saw it as clear as day. The Brother is dead now.

That'll be Paddy Track.

St Declans - Br Basil the aggressive alco used to beat the ****e out of us for playing foreign sports like soccer and don't get me started on getting beat with a cane if you got the lyrics wrong when he had us singing the Pirate of Penzance. I remember he hit a fella who ran out of class one day only to return a couple of hours later and say "me dad wants to see you outside Br".

De La Salle - I hated my time there. Got beat up a lot by the Br.'s and in fairness I was a bit of a **** too. I remember having a scrap with the science teacher, Mr Lucy I think he was called, because he hit me and didn't like it when I hit him back. Then there was Br John who loved to feel his balls under his dress then rub the back of your head whilst he had you read to the class. Seamus Clancy was a very good teacher and always gave respect I felt and nobody messed with him really. I learnt a bit off him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Nite Klub wrote: »
    I remember he hit a fella who ran out of class one day only to return a couple of hours later and say "me dad wants to see you outside Br".
    One guess, Snotty Kinsella?

fiachr_a wrote: »
    One guess, Snotty Kinsella?

Close but no cigar *hits fiachr_a with cane* initials JH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

Nite Klub wrote: »
    That'll be Paddy Track.

Then there was Br John who loved to feel his balls under his dress then rub the back of your head whilst he had you read to the class.

Bro John wasn't one we had to watch, not when I was there anyway. Bro's Declan, Gerard and Tim were also decent men that I respected and learned from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I went to St Declans and then De La Salle in the 80s/early 90s. Loved St Declans with the exception of Mrs Dowling who was a battleaxe. Slapped me across the face for laughing during the Angelus one day. It didn't hurt but I pretended to cry just in case she decided to follow up with some kicks and that ruler she had with rusted bottle tops on it for quick raps across the knuckles. Br Anselm was a legend - great teacher and coach. We always lost to Stephens St in the blitz competitions though :( De La Salle was good enough. Some good teachers but some awful. How Woody McGovern ever qualified as a teacher is beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

rgmmg wrote: »
    How Woody McGovern ever qualified as a teacher is beyond me.
    He went round the school one time telling everybody that a guy in my class had a disability. No good teacher would have done that.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    He went round the school one time telling everybody that a guy in my class had a disability. No good teacher would have done that.

Was it you pal? Let the pain out, I'm here for you. *group hug*

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

De la sale primary and secondary. In hindsight they were great schools. Never really realised it at the time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

newtown in the 80's .what a school, missed it for years after leaving,missed my extended family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Went to Ursuline secondary until Junior Cert and hated it. Mad Dunne was an awful little Hitler. Lots of favouritism going on.

Switched to Sacred Heart in Ferrybank for my last two years and loved every minute of it (mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

St Pauls all the way through, we started off in the Manor St John then moved into prefabs, we were the first into the secondary, we used the scout hall and two classrooms from the primary, then in 2nd year we had a part of the WIT for two years including scout hall and prefabs in Ballybeg, the new secondary opened on Brown's road inSept 1979.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Kizzles

I went to The Mercy Primary and Secondary and I have to say I loved it. Mr Lane and Mr Clancy were absolute gents and were always willing to give a helping hand to anyone, and Sister Margaret in the primary was an absolutely lovely woman.

I remember Mr Lane on numerous occasions giving lunch money to girls that had forgotten theirs and he would never take it back from them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Was quite surprised to read that Enda O Doherty from De La Salle has been made Assistant Principal of the school. The man was a little bully and totally unsuitable to teach young people back in my days there, 2001 or so and I have heard that a lot of parents have made complaints about him picking on students and this is the man who will probably be principal one day. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

Was quite surprised to read that Enda O Doherty from De La Salle has been made Assistant Principal of the school. The man was a little bully and totally unsuitable to teach young people back in my days there, 2001 or so and I have heard that a lot of parents have made complaints about him picking on students and this is the man who will probably be principal one day. Depressing.

He's not one of the deputy principals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

I went to the abbey in ferrybank

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eddie r

Same what you think of the dls college i was there until 2000 meself great times in the main a few horror stories also

ye i was in dls college also until 2000 good school in the main but alot of deadwood teachers in there for sure, hated it when i was in school at the time but looking back now at 40 yrs old it wasnt so bad at all. Funny owl world

Ye she was a teacher in the 90s when i was there she only lasted 2 yrs as principal was a big mistake given a woman that job

I was in dls until 2000 enda o doherthy got me expelled for nothing 5th year lca class he was a bully and got alot of people thrown out with no leaving cert, makes me sick to see him around today with hes pieta house nonsense and hes washing machine crap, t must be guilt for the way he bullied and got kids expelled in the 90s some i know went on to take there own life very young

Spot on he was a jumped up bully for sure who got me expelled in 5th year lca class year 2000 was totally unfit to be any kind of teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

De La Salle college was an horrific experience for me in the 90s and a lot of that was due to transition year. Some of the lads in that year were nothing short of scumbag bullies and even years later ive seen a few of them around and they are the exact same now at 40 than they were at 16, very depressing. Once a bully always one i guess. And that O Doherty was another jumped up little hitler and i nearly choked when i saw him pretending to care about Pieta and doing all these charity events.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Following the money all he's doing...life coach, mental health rubbish. Sociopathic tendencies.

Ye O Doherty is a complete con man, a utter snake i think hes gone from dls now, he was never fit to be a teacher i dont know anyone had anything positive to say about him, he got pleasure from bullying kids i still see him around today and i just stare right true him he knows who i am he always turns away as im not 15 now and if anyone will be intimidated its him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Went to DLS and had O'Doherty for junior cert history...what an awful person. As already said here, he was a nasty bully. He put the fear of God through us but he really picked a few lads who weren't the brightest buttons in the basket and he focused his nastiness on those lads.

Years later when I heard about his washing machine stint I was seething! I heard him on the radio playing the self-pity card...if only the interviewer knew the misery he inflicted on young kids. He failed that climb like he failed at his job...and now he's selling himself as a life coach/endurance athlete/general spoofer. Honestly, I hope the corporate types who employ these sort of people can see through this lad for that he is, a failure and certainly not somebody who should be put in a position to inspire anyone.

Advertisement