Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you go school in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jimbojazz wrote: »
    We had a "Christian Brother" who taught junior infants - if a kid - bearing in mind they would have been only 4/5 years of age - got a question wrong or was misbehaving he would dress them in a pink nightie, he called a Gúna and make him wear it for most of the day. the underachievers - at 4/5 years of age - were lined up against the wall and called wallflowers. he had a stick he called the stinger - basically a stick with thorns on it that he would mete out more punishment with - to remember kids age 4/5.

dreadful story. id say some of those people are suffering with things like dyslexia and adhd etc. thankfully we have evolved and learned some lessons from our past mistakes. id say some of the victims here have struggled throughout their lives. sounds like to me, some of these victims need to visit their local garda station!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There used to be a shop on Patrick Street that sold canes ..... I suspect specifically for some of those 'christian' brothers in DLS Stephen Street.
    Those canes with the curved 'handle' so beloved by those carers.

I saw quite a number of them broken across other kids ..... received my fair share of welts from those canes myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

It is incredible reading some of these stories about physical,sexual and emotional abuse that went on in this country in the past.There was hardly anything done to give justice to those victims.Its an indictment of hypocrisy that these so called a"Christian" brothers were at the forefront of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

It is incredible reading some of these stories about physical,sexual and emotional abuse that went on in this country in the past.There was hardly anything done to give justice to those victims.Its an indictment of hypocrisy that these so called a"Christian" brothers were at the forefront of it all.

Thing is not all of them were Brothers - a lot of them were lay teachers.

A lot of people think this stuff went on the 50 & 60's only but it went on more recently - my experiences go up to 1985 but some of the posters are relating stories up to the mid 90's which is even more shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭deisemum

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Thing is not all of them were Brothers - a lot of them were lay teachers.

A lot of people think this stuff went on the 50 & 60's only but it went on more recently - my experiences go up to 1985 but some of the posters are relating stories up to the mid 90's which is even more shocking

I know of abuses going on in the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Some can of worms started on this thread, some of you should go to the garda with this stuff.
    If some of these people are walking around Waterford today or anywhere else for that matter, they need to be put behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

deisemum wrote: »
    I know of abuses going on in the last 10 years.

That's the really shocking thing. An awful lot of what went on in the past came to light in the past couple of decades, and my feeling would have been that this sort of thing had been consigned to history.

Given that we're hearing so many victims' stories from the past nowadays, you'd have thought that society would have had the bullies on the run. If you're aware of such abuses in the recent past, how come they're not being investigated and prosecuted? For example, have you gone to the Gardaí with your concerns? You could call the confidential line if you didn't want to get involved yourself (which is completely understandable).

Edit: Or have you (or your friends) reported the behaviour, and simply nothing has been done about it?

fricatus wrote: »
    That's the really shocking thing. An awful lot of what went on in the past came to light in the past couple of decades, and my feeling would have been that this sort of thing had been consigned to history.

Given that we're hearing so many victims' stories from the past nowadays, you'd have thought that society would have had the bullies on the run. If you're aware of such abuses in the recent past, how come they're not being investigated and prosecuted? For example, have you gone to the Gardaí with your concerns? You could call the confidential line if you didn't want to get involved yourself (which is completely understandable).

Edit: Or have you (or your friends) reported the behaviour, and simply nothing has been done about it?

I've been to the gardai and they were extremely helpful, they told me it's a lot more common than most people realise. I've nothing but praise for how the gardai treated it. However it's absolutely shocking to see how teachers close ranks to protect a colleague, the disgusting threats made by principals to parents who report abuse and how the union will do everything to protect the teachers involved in abuse allegations but don't get me started on how true to form parish priests are when it comes to covering up such abuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

disgusting threats made by principals to parents who report abuse and how the union will do everything to protect the teachers involved in abuse allegations but don't get me started on how true to form parish priests are when it comes to covering up such abuse.
    I saw a now deceased teacher put his hand on a 1st year's crotch in school. One of the most respectable families at the time, his daughter is now a leading name in Irish law. No wonder people in this town end up on drugs and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

fiachr_a wrote: »
    No wonder people in this town end up on drugs and drink.

This is probably the most eye-opening; shocking thread I've read on boards.

Don't really have words. Someone should really call the guards about these monsters. Hate the idea of some of these "people" still being around, especially near kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just for the record seeing the way this thread has gone, anything I saw in Mount Sion was just common or garden bullying thinly disguised as discipline. Myself and a friend have an (admittedly unfunny) joke that we must have been seriously ugly kids because we never saw, or heard of, any 'fiddling' in our entire school careers.

From looking at the thread I am almost glad I just spent my entire school career only with a gnawing knot in the pit of my stomach as we waited for the next explosion of temper from the supposed adult in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

My secondary school years in the 90s were like the post above - mostly ridiculous explosions of temper and fireworks by teachers.

I do remember an awful weapon of a teacher in second babies which would have been mid-80s. An elderly woman with a ferocious temper who kept a "bota" behind the radiator. If any child (aged 5-6) misbehaved in any way, she would take it out and walk to the child's desk and wave it in front of them. It was thicker than a broom handle.

On one occasion, I was handed an envelope in class. Now, whether I was daydreaming or not listening to what was said before it, I got excited as any 5 year old might do and opened it. It was a report for our parents, and she came running from the top of the classroom and hit me full force across the face. To this day, I still can't comprehend how any adult could hit a child with force in the face. Forgive me, but I hope she died roaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

eiresandra wrote: »
    My secondary school years in the 90s were like the post above - mostly ridiculous explosions of temper and fireworks by teachers.

I do remember an awful weapon of a teacher in second babies which would have been mid-80s. An elderly woman with a ferocious temper who kept a "bota" behind the radiator. If any child (aged 5-6) misbehaved in any way, she would take it out and walk to the child's desk and wave it in front of them. It was thicker than a broom handle.

On one occasion, I was handed an envelope in class. Now, whether I was daydreaming or not listening to what was said before it, I got excited as any 5 year old might do and opened it. It was a report for our parents, and she came running from the top of the classroom and hit me full force across the face. To this day, I still can't comprehend how any adult could hit a child with force in the face. Forgive me, but I hope she died roaring.

What school?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

St Paul's primary school in the 70's. The teacher had 4 rulers taped together and you got them full force across the hands if you stepped out of line. He also used the stick from a bow and arrow that one pupil brought in for him( he ended up getting beat most with it) Also these bullies lifted you out of your chair by the hair if you talked out of turn. FFS we were 5 or six years of age. If this happened nowadays the teachers would be arrested or battered by the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

St. Pauls. Late 90s. Great laugh, mostly good teachers. Not molested.

swannyuponnelly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

De La Salle College have a female principal Ms Betts. must be a strong headed women to be dealing with mostly a single sex school.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

PTH2009 wrote: »
    De La Salle College have a female principal Ms Betts. must be a strong headed women to be dealing with mostly a single sex school.

Did she teach there years ago?

kfallon wrote: »
    Did she teach there years ago?

Yes.

Yes.

I think she was there when I attended, never had her tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

St Declan's in water street. Probably the best boys school in town. Great memories there. Had class reunion couple of years bk. had full access to the school and old principal and teachers joined us. Great night.
    DSL college then. Another enjoyable experience

• Advertisement

kayevajo wrote: »
    St Declan's in water street. Probably the best boys school in town. Great memories there.
    Bet Brother Finnian Neenan never followed you into the jacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

fricatus wrote: »

I would believe there were still abuses going on at that time since it happened when I was at school 10-15 years. I will say that there were a few male teachers (and one female) that walked the line with sexual abuse. Nothing nearly as extreme as past generations to go to the gardai about but enough that I remember having to be "careful" to avoid those teachers attention. I laugh about some of these old stories now but you shouldn't have to tip toe around your teachers in that way. You should be afraid of not having homework done or hiding a piercing you're not supposed to have.

I also had one teacher at primary school for three years who hit me quite often. I wouldn't say it was anything compared to the lashings my mother would have gotten but I think it was more of a humiliation exercise. From what I have heard from other students is that she seemed to pick one or two from each class that she would humiliate all the time. One episode really sticks out to me, she brought up to the board and announced to the class that I was so stupid she had to get class work from senior infants so I'd have something to do. Bare in mind I was in 5th class. She wasn't a strangling nun waiting out retirement either. She was a very young teacher, although I have worse stories from people in my year with nuns as teachers. I have no problems with saying this happened in the Mercy. I told my parents there was no way I'd go back after I finished my Junior Cert. I moved to Saint Paul's and was all the better for it.

I don't want to take away from other posters stories. I know much worse has happened in the past and things have gotten much better in the last 20 years. Sadly like all professions, there will always be wrong'uns in teaching but when it comes to kids there should be a much higher standard than what's still going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If there is one place I would agree to having cameras it is the classroom.

Then have each available on line for parents to check if 'little Johnny' actually went to class or not :)

Such cameras would put a stop to physical abuse in the classroom at least, and the more excessive verbal abuse also.

Of course if there was sound also then even the verbal abuse would cease ;)

..... not going to happen of course .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

De La Salle, Leaving Cert 1979. There was a lot of violence from Brothers and Teachers alike but only 2 that were touchy feely, both Brothers. Never laid a hand on me thankfully but during PE one day, one boy got the full force of a sliothar into the goolies and one of the Brothers put a hand down the front of the boys shorts to massage said goolies. I was playing in goals that day and in happened 10 yards or so from me and I saw it as clear as day. The Brother is dead now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

If there is one place I would agree to having cameras it is the classroom.

Then have each available on line for parents to check if 'little Johnny' actually went to class or not :)

Such cameras would put a stop to physical abuse in the classroom at least, and the more excessive verbal abuse also.

Of course if there was sound also then even the verbal abuse would cease ;)

..... not going to happen of course .... :)

If only! I'd love if they were put in anonymously. Catch 'em while they don't know they're being watched. Ah, I can only dream..

I would love to see cameras in the classrooms but going on the objections of teachers in a local school I cannot see it happening.

Brothers put a hand down the front of the boys shorts to massage said goolies. I was playing in goals that day and in happened 10 yards or so from me and I saw it as clear as day. The Brother is dead now.
    One guess, Brother Patrick? Died a decade later but never found out what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ballygunner NS and then DLS (1995 leaving)...some memories from the latter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Remember in dls college when ur class had a sub teacher for the day. The amount of messing going in those classes were unreal.

Heard a story of a class with a sub teacher they did so much messing that the sub teacher told the permanent teacher the next day and let's just say when the permanent teacher was finished talking with the class the next day they didn't mess again and got the fright of there life's

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Remember in dls college when ur class had a sub teacher for the day. The amount of messing going in those classes were unreal.

Heard a story of a class with a sub teacher they did so much messing that the sub teacher told the permanent teacher the next day and let's just say when the permanent teacher was finished talking with the class the next day they didn't mess again and got the fright of there life's

Yer man O'Doherty's missus came in for a few months as a sub teacher! I remember he gave us a lecture one day that we weren't to be messing and if he heard any stories he'd be down on us like a ton of bricks! We hadn't even seen the sub at this stage. Found out the next day it was his missus, as usual he was acting the big man, tit!

Advertisement