Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random/General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

theres a guy going around town who is a nasty piece of work. He has an english accent and wears a cap and i believe he sometimes wears headphones. He was going around shouting a people on monday. If u see him dont look at him he will attack you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I think they are doing the right thing by thoroughly excavating the site and then building over it.

If there was anyway to save it, I'd be all for it. Maybe they could locate the factory somewhere else in Waterford but I'm sure it's not as straight forward as that.

http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-knockhouse-ring-fort-west-pharmaceutical-2228226-Jul2015/

I think they would be doing the right thing from a historical point and the right thing for the site by letting the archaeologists dig as much as they like and remove everything the find. Trying to preserve the site will impact the building and is anyone going to visit it if it's left there? Honestly?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hijpo wrote: »
    I think they would be doing the right thing from a historical point and the right thing for the site by letting the archaeologists dig as much as they like and remove everything the find. Trying to preserve the site will impact the building and is anyone going to visit it if it's left there? Honestly?

hmmm always wonder about humans and where we re going as a society when i see comments like this. how long has the fort been there? how long will the factory be there as a useful building and used? which one means more to us, culturally? have we really sold our cultural just to make a few quid and create a few jobs? can both of these things exist together, maybe even complement each other? i think both can coexist and compliment each other. could the fort be included as a centerpiece of the site by being included in the landscape of the site? dont think it would look too bad and of course it would be preserved for future generations to enjoy, long after the factory is flattened.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    hmmm always wonder about humans and where we re going as a society when i see comments like this. how long has the fort been there? how long will the factory be there as a useful building and used? which one means more to us, culturally? have we really sold our cultural just to make a few quid and create a few jobs? can both of these things exist together, maybe even complement each other? i think both can coexist and compliment each other. could the fort be included as a centerpiece of the site by being included in the landscape of the site? dont think it would look too bad and of course it would be preserved for future generations to enjoy, long after the factory is flattened.

lol this makes you wonder about society?

I think we have as much as we're going to get and be able to preserve in terms of culture, especially when it comes to ring forts. Like all the historical culture based in this city think of it from a tourist point of view. For a single attraction it is a fair distance outside the main attractions, no one is going to go there.
    Instead, move all that can be and is worth moving and put it with all the other artifacts. All the things on display are not in their original place, unless the were dug up in those shiny display cases?

And why would my opinion make you question where we are going as a society? I certainly didn't say "who cares! we need jobs, smash it to bits".

lol this makes you wonder about society?

I think we have as much as we're going to get and be able to preserve in terms of culture, especially when it comes to ring forts. Like all the historical culture based in this city think of it from a tourist point of view. For a single attraction it is a fair distance outside the main attractions, no one is going to go there.
    Instead, move all that can be and is worth moving and put it with all the other artifacts. All the things on display are not in their original place, unless the were dug up in those shiny display cases?

And why would my opinion make you question where we are going as a society? I certainly didn't say "who cares! we need jobs, smash it to bits".

ah id disagree with you there. dont forget, our city has and will continue to do so over time, shift and change. compare the city to when you were young to now. now go outside that even further, compare waterford from hundreds even thousands of years ago. our city will continue to change indefinitely. buzzing places now will eventually become run down in the future etc., as the function of the city changes. dont forget in a thousand years, this ring fort could be in the middle of the city. we have no idea if it will or not. who knows what modes of transport will be available to people in the future either, getting to the ring fort may not be an issue for future tourists. we have a tendency to think in the short term regarding construction nowadays. how long have these historical buildings existed? buildings nowadays are generally only constructed for short term gains. our historical buildings are all important and its our job to preserve them as best as possible for future generations to enjoy. they are a part of our identity and i personally think most of them are fascinating to look at. we have a tendency to allow people or organisations with a big bags of cash to wander into the country and pretty much do as they please just so we can get some of the cash. this particularly happens during difficult economic times like now. i believe its possible to preserve most if not all of these historical constructions and still construct these new functioning buildings for the likes of factories etc., around them and in fact include them in the design. we have made major mistakes in the past with such issues, city square comes to mind. i think it would have been possible to integrate the medieval city found under city square into the building. it would have been an amazing feature in the city, but of course we decided, plough over it and build the shops! do we really want to erase our past just to create jobs for the short term? yes im aware, it would have cost a bloody fortune to construct a functioning building around the medieval city of city square but not impossible. we just need to be a little more thoughtful when considering construction projects. it is possible to preserve the past and still build modern buildings around these historical constructions and as i said, both can coexist, even compliment each other. you bring up a good point about the shiny cases. wouldnt it be amazing if the medieval city and its artifacts were left in place under city square, construct city square over it, install glass floors around the building, light up the medieval city from under these glass floors, have entry and exit points into the medieval city from within city square! yes, all incredible costly to construct but not impossible. i think this is maybe what you mean by think of it from a tourist point of view? all a pipe dream im afraid though.

im glad you made your last statement. i apologise if it seemed i was jumping on you about this subject matter but its obviously something im fairly concerned about. yes we need jobs, but lets just think before we demolish. oh and your opinion matters like anybody elses as it may just mirror a large amount of peoples opinions.

• Advertisement

Went to get a haircut in a hairdressers monday on Michael street at about 3.15 and went in and the girls said eh we're taking a break. I felt like I wasn't wanted there and they should of said come back in about 15/20 mins and we will give u ur haircut. I have heard good things about that place but they need to have a bit of respect for customers that are willing to pay for there service

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Went to get a haircut in a hairdressers monday on Michael street at about 3.15 and went in and the girls said eh we're taking a break. I felt like I wasn't wanted there and they should of said come back in about 15/20 mins and we will give u ur haircut. I have heard good things about that place but they need to have a bit of respect for customers that are willing to pay for there service

On the ball, boy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone go to the Londis in Cleaboy recently? There seems to be a few new heads there, and some of the staff that were very slow on the till seem to be history! Sadly the deli staff are all still there. Anytime I have to get something there they are all chatting about their fave tv show, the esb bill or babies. Then when you finally get their attention, its clear from their body language that they dont like their jobs. There are plenty of people out there who will gladly take their position. :mad:

The manager there seems to be running a very tight ship and the place has changed a lot for the better but he seems to be blind as to how slow and unfriendly the deli staff are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I really did help an old lady across the road today. *not going to hell after all*

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lessthen50p

Few of us going to end up in waterford city for a 30th on sat night,
    Could i get a recommendation for pub to watch the football,
    restaurant in between casual and not too fancy :-)
    and then pub for evening, not really into nightclubs, prefer decent late bar.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Few of us going to end up in waterford city for a 30th on sat night,
    Could i get a recommendation for pub to watch the football,
    restaurant in between casual and not too fancy :-)
    and then pub for evening, not really into nightclubs, prefer decent late bar.

Thanks!

The holy cross for the match, plenty of room with a viewable TV. Stop in at the Chinese on the cork road for food and then the kazbar or shorts for finishing up. Only trouble is there is a bit of a distance between each place, you would want taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

The woodman for the football then burzza for grub then a choice of 3 late bars shortts /sinnotts/ Kazbar
    All within 2 or 3 minute walk from each other on the same street

The holy cross for the match, plenty of room with a viewable TV. Stop in at the Chinese on the cork road for food and then the kazbar or shorts for finishing up. Only trouble is there is a bit of a distance between each place, you would want taxis.

That was a bad recommendation in fairness, there is no need to go the whole way out to the Holy Cross to watch the football. You will find the game in loads of pubs around town, you will find numerous places to eat around town and all the late bars will be open in town. It makes literally 0 sense to go out to Holy Cross, why bother?

Stick with the town in my opinion and you will find everything you are looking for with multiple options available for each.

That was a bad recommendation in fairness, there is no need to go the whole way out to the Holy Cross to watch the football. You will find the game in loads of pubs around town, you will find numerous places to eat around town and all the late bars will be open in town. It makes literally 0 sense to go out to Holy Cross, why bother?

Stick with the town in my opinion and you will find everything you are looking for with multiple options available for each.

It's a 30th, I figured a large number. Anywhere in town with a TV is pretty sh*t for space. Alfie down the back on a Saturday? The woodman down the back on a Saturday? I did mention he would need taxis so made reference to the distance.

so in the sense of space and a viewable TV the holy cross is a decent spot. Actually they do food there at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lessthen50p

thanks for replies, only 5 of us, going to go to the town and stay central for the day, effort of taxis!!!

Why do guy who drink in ballybricken pubs have the strongest Waterford accents lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Why do guy who drink in ballybricken pubs have the strongest Waterford accents lol

aaah the old Waterford accent.......has to be the worst accent in the country.

obezyana wrote: »
    aaah the old Waterford accent.......has to be the worst accent in the country.
    well boy, ah go on boy, shes some lack

well boy, ah go on boy, shes some lack

Good god i can hear it through those words :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

What's it like to live in Waterford? Nice city?? Being serious. ...for some reason I'm drawn to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

On the ball boi

What's it like to live in Waterford? Nice city?? Being serious. ...for some reason I'm drawn to it...

Im from Waterford I moved away I came back with one of the reasons being I missed being here. The town is ok (i dont go in there much) The countryside, beaches, mountains are what make it home and a nice home at that.

what interests have you? what requirements do you have for a place to live? its a small city and easy to get around but that may not suit some. i think some of us will be a little biased towards the place so maybe if you share your needs you might see if its the place for you

It's not v county side- ish is it? I dunno it's just a notion I think

It's not v county side- ish is it? I dunno it's just a notion I think

As in there isn't much countryside or what?

is it more like city-life or country life?

Well regarding city life....it is the same as anywhere, traffic, people, crime, lots of shops, good restaurants, decent nightlife.

Regarding country life......well you have plenty of places to go see and do out the countryside. Beaches, mountains, nice scenic drives, etc.

So in reality it depends on what you are after....... the mountains are beaches are not far from the city, the city itself is small enough to walk from one end to the other without breaking a sweat. Personally I stay out of the place (city) as much as I can not because it is bad or the likes but because I hate having to go in there for any reason other than driving through (which i do almost everyday)

When it comes to the countryside I hike a good bit so I head up to the Comeraghs, I like swimming so I am spoilt for choice for beaches to swim in, walking forest walks or the Anne valley is another thing out the countryside so it is a place where you can do loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

It's not boggerish if that's what your asking - we leave that to the South Kilkenny lads.

Waterford is grand. Small city, easy to get around, great restaurants, some good pubs, with plenty to do.
    And if you need a break from city life, as stated above, there is a glorious coast line dotted with beaches, and a mountain range with some lovely walks, and some wonderful towns & villages to visit.
    Kind of get the best of both worlds if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Today Greenstar did the green and brown bin picks up, at one point the truck stopped at a house with the brown bin only, and one of the crew emptied the accumulated junk inside his cab into the bin - bottlers, wrappers, crisps bags etc and then took the bin to the back and emptied it.

What's the point of segregated bins when the employees do that?

• Advertisement

Today Greenstar did the green and brown bin picks up, at one point the truck stopped at a house with the brown bin only, and one of the crew emptied the accumulated junk inside his cab into the bin - bottlers, wrappers, crisps bags etc and then took the bin to the back and emptied it.

What's the point of segregated bins when the employees do that?

wouldnt surprise me if the whole lot is just dumped into landfill together anyway

Advertisement