Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random/General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Where is best and biggest shopping centre in Waterford city please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Are you taking a trip down Liz? :)City Square SC is probably your best bet, right in the city centre. Are you looking for anything in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The best and biggest shopping centre in Waterford starts at Shaws and weaves its way towards Michael St. and ends in City Square SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why do we always miss out on Top international musicans/bands/comedians when they tour Ireland ???

Obv we have Daytripper/Aslan, Little Green Cars ,Picture This etc and most top Irish comedians play shows here but we miss out on a lot too

John Bishop is doing a tour of Ireland next September/October and is performing in Places like Ennis, Claremorris, Galway etc and not here. The Hub in kilkenny has played hosts to acts such as Don Mclean and The Waterboys etc in the past few years

Anyone read the Councillor in last weeks N&S who said we should built a new stadium in Waterford and work could begin as early as next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

PTH2009 wrote: »
    why do we always miss out on Top international musicans/bands/comedians when they tour Ireland ???

Obv we have Daytripper/Aslan, Little Green Cars ,Picture This etc and most top Irish comedians play shows here but we miss out on a lot too

John Bishop is doing a tour of Ireland next September/October and is performing in Places like Ennis, Claremorris, Galway etc and not here. The Hub in kilkenny has played hosts to acts such as Don Mclean and The Waterboys etc in the past few years

Anyone read the Councillor in last weeks N&S who said we should built a new stadium in Waterford and work could begin as early as next year

This will probably improve with the new WIT Arena after opening. I think the problem is we just don’t have a suitable venue in the city centre though.

As for the stadium. This is something that has always annoyed me. When counties come to play Waterford it is embarrassing to think they have to go to Walsh Park. Surly some agreement could be reached with WIT for the use of Carriganore with Walsh Park being sold to help fund the building of a stand or two. But we all know the problem when it comes to developing a new GAA stadium in the city is from past experience.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Any ideas good place in city to get small poster framed nicely, about a3 size.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Max Powers wrote: »
    Any ideas good place in city to get small poster framed nicely, about a3 size.thanks

There's a framing place on Michael street beside greers. Don't know what there like for price

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

debok wrote: »
    There's a framing place on Michael street beside greers. Don't know what there like for price

Is that new? I have never noticed it?

looksee wrote: »
    Is that new? I have never noticed it?

Only there this year i suppose. Can't remember what was there before.

Cheers debok,I passed that place numerous times, never put 2 and 2

• Advertisement

anyone have a list of the bands who played the Feile festival in the Tramore Racecourse in think in 1992 or 1993 ???

I think Bob Dylan and Jerry lee Lewis were on the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

anyone have a list of the bands who played the Feile festival in the Tramore Racecourse in think in 1992 or 1993 ???

I think Bob Dylan and Jerry lee Lewis were on the bill

You're thinking of the Fleadh Mór. Quick Google brings back a few result but I haven't seen a full band list

You're thinking of the Fleadh Mór. Quick Google brings back a few result but I haven't seen a full band list

Pretty sure Christy Moore and van Morrison played it too, hard to credit Vince power lost a lot of money on it.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Pretty sure Christy Moore and van Morrison played it too, hard to credit Vince power lost a lot of money on it.

Fleadh Mor 1993
    Tramore, Ireland
    Line-up: Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Jimmy Cliff, Jerry Lee Lewis, Joan Baez, John Prine, Luka Bloom, Ray Charles, Bhundu Boys, Moving Hearts, and more…

Fleadh Mor 1993
    Tramore, Ireland
    Line-up: Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Jimmy Cliff, Jerry Lee Lewis, Joan Baez, John Prine, Luka Bloom, Ray Charles, Bhundu Boys, Moving Hearts, and more…

Some good acts there and its amazing that took place in Waterford. Pity we dont get that kind of music in Waterford these days. The organisers of Daytripper are doing well though in bringing bigish acts to Waterford during the Summer.

could be wrong but I think the Bridge Hotel played host to a few well known bands in the 80's including Def Leppard (played there 11th Aug 1986 during the height of there fame too), The Pogues, Status Quo. Anyone knw anyone else that played there

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-leppard/1986/bridge-hotel-waterford-ireland-5bd04f78.html

Johnny Cash of course played The Fourm in the 90's. Roy Orbison, The Smiths, Calvin Harris and the orginal UB40 played here too down through the years

U2 played the showboat in there early days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

oing well though in bringing bigish acts to Waterford during the Summer.

could be wrong but I think the Bridge Hotel played host to a few well known bands in the 80's including Def Leppard (played there 11th Aug 1986 during the height of there fame too), The Pogues, Status Quo. Anyone knw anyone else that played there

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-leppard/1986/bridge-hotel-waterford-ireland-5bd04f78.html

I saw Da Leps in what is now called Halfway House (Katie Reilly's Kitchen) but I can't be certain of whether it was 86 or 87. If it was 86 then I doubt they also played the Bridge Hotel - also it was not the Hysteria Tour as the whole point of the shows was to shake the rust after 3 years in the studio (and to see if Ric Allen's synth drum kit would work!)

Fleadh Mor was an idea that was ahead of it's time - now the equivalent would almost certainly be a success.

I saw Da Leps in what is now called Halfway House (Katie Reilly's Kitchen) but I can't be certain of whether it was 86 or 87. If it was 86 then I doubt they also played the Bridge Hotel - also it was not the Hysteria Tour as the whole point of the shows was to shake the rust after 3 years in the studio (and to see if Ric Allen's synth drum kit would work!)

Interesting story about this Waterford gig

http://www.deflepparduk.com/2013newsaug70.html

Ric himself referred to there Show in Ballybunnion as an historic show for him. At last year's Dublin show he had a Ballybunnion sign on his drum kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Red Hot Chilly peppers played Kitty Kiernans

Red Hot Chilly peppers played Kitty Kiernans

seriously ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Ye, there wasn't many at it though as ACDC were playing The Can Shop the same night

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Ye, there wasn't many at it though as ACDC were playing The Can Shop the same night

ah yeah remember now, Gilbert O Sullivan was playing a homecoming gig in the Theatre Royal that night too and barley anybody showed up, Prob all up at the ACDC and RHCP gigs lol. GOS wont play Waterford nowadays cause of that night lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭deisemum

ah yeah remember now, Gilbert O Sullivan was playing a homecoming gig in the Theatre Royal that night too and barley anybody showed up, Prob all up at the ACDC and RHCP gigs lol. GOS wont play Waterford nowadays cause of that night lol

Was the Eurovision on the same night too?

deisemum wrote: »
    Was the Eurovision on the same night too?

Yeah it was held in a marquee on the lemybrien gaa pitch lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Yeah it was held in a marquee on the lemybrien gaa pitch lol

No it wasn't. It was held down in the park with the bandstand being the main stage.

It was nicknamed the eurolark in the park!

some say Elvis and Michael Jackson are still alive and live down the road from Mount Mellery, they often play a few tunes in the cats bar at odd bank holiday weekend lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

some say Elvis and Michael Jackson are still alive and live down the road from Mount Mellery, they often play a few tunes in the cats bar at odd bank holiday weekend lol

Don't be so quick to lol ...... its true!

Why do "Lycra lout" cyclists on the ring road refuse to use the cycle lane? It is a sign of effeminacy or something? It's pretty wide and human/dog traffic is pretty light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The footpath? They probably don't want to knock down a pedestrian. It's safer for everyone if they're on the road. The ring road is two lanes wide, if you can't safely pass them in your car you shouldn't be driving.

• Advertisement

It's called a cyclepath for a reason. It's 4 meters wide.

Advertisement