Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy infrastructure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Is this the new spin from the wind bluffers?? claiming bills would be even higher despite the fact that for years they spun the lie that wind would lead to lower energy bills. Pretty pathetic really and i doubt the general public will take much more of this. In the UK yesterday there was a number of large protests calling for energy bills to be capped, that spells trouble for governments still indulging this nonsense

Norway has vast hydro resources - there is nothing like that available here as anyone with a basic knowledge of geography will tell u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does anyone on here know how our electricity system purchase system works, mainly the capital side ?

I mean eirgrid own/ operate the grid, and ESB networks own and run the local distribution and meters - but generation capacity ? I know there are auctions , but what are the typical terms ?

If I build a Ccgt for 6 0r 7 hundred million ,I'm getting a contract to have it available ? Up to a max use and a minimum ? And then charge for the electricity supplied per unit- ( with the price based on fluctuating gas price ?

How long would these contracts last ?

I assume wind and solar are a bit different ,15 year contracts ? And priority access ? Who decides the price ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Spin, what are you on about?

Take 2020 fuel mix. 43% renewables and 50% natural gas. Do you seriously think electricity would be cheaper now if wind didn't exist and the grid was 93% gas?

Include EU fines for having a >90% fossil fuel mix as well.

We have wind, Norway has hydro, Spain has sun etc.

It's just a case of playing to the strengths of the available renewable resources.

Your labouring under the fallacy that ever MW of wind replaces a MW of gas - showing your ignorance of how gas plants and basic load works. There is also the matter of windfarms taking power from the grid in low wind conditions to prevent their turbines ceasing up and the truck load of RESS money they get. You will also find the highest energy prices in the EU are associated with grids with the most installed wind capacity like here, Germany and Denmark.

Comparing wind to hydro is utter nonsense for a long list of reasons - wind has performed poorly in any case across Western Europe for the past 12 months - hence the desperation to secure more gas generation across the region.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So what ? Even if every MW of wind only displaced half a MW of gas it's still way cheaper and greener.

I'll remind you again that in NI derating 900kW turbines to maximum output of 250kW meant twice the capacity factor as a 250kW turbine. So displacing twice as much gas. It just shows how installing lots of extra turbines can double the % of power we get from wind.

At present we need large generators on-load at all times near the big cities for grid stability. So that can't be displaced by wind or interconnectors. Yet.

We can have 4.5GW of wind stabilised by 1.5GW of generators. Demand in summer is low and when the new interconnectors come on line we could be exporting 2.2GW of that 1.5GW and wind would be providing up to 118% of demand. (4.5GW/3/8GW) without other grid improvements.

We've all seen stopped wind turbines so we all know they aren't taking power all the time to prevent seizing. However so called "24/7" Nuclear plants absoutley depend on grid power when they aren't generating their own. Bad things happen if you keep a reactor cool.

Reminder that wholesale prices are a published reflection of what it costs to produce electricity and can be compared between countries. Retail prices not so much.

Wind is already backed up with other generation equipment ,so yeah there may be more need of gas to run those generators longer -

What would they be running if the wind turbines didn't exist ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: @correct horse battery staple

I presume you are referring to myself.

You are not prevented from saying anything. Just that this thread is not about your favourite topic, and you can exercise that topic in another thread with a suitable title that applies to all posters who wish to debate that same topic.

I do not, a a moderator, allow my own views to affect my moderation of threads - nor do I tolerate back-seat moderation by posters.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Meanwhile in the real world:

"He said climate change is the challenge of the generation and ESB is looking to increase the amount of renewables fivefold by 2030.

He said up to 15 gigawatts of renewables should be connected to electricity networks by 2030.

This will involve onshore and offshore wind farms."

I'd say that the CEO of the ESB will know better what we need to do to achieve these goals then anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What alternative do the ESB have, realistically?

The only other zero carbon source is legally prohibited in this country, and the ESB do not make law.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

True, but Nuclear doesn't make sense for such a small country like Ireland anyway. Far too expensive and large and no way could we build half a dozen Nuclear reactors in just 8 years, so we would fail to meet our 2030 goals. Hell even 2050 would be a strect going that way.

Yes but the point is, using the ESBs plan as a signal of the benefits of renewables isnt really accurate. They are operating within a strict set of conditions that state basically they have no other option but to add more and more renewable capacity, because nuclear is illegal, the government have committed to 2030 and 2050 targets, and ultimately it doesn't matter to ESB if the price per watt goes way up. Their remit is generation capacity within the co2 emission constraints (and Irish law). They have no price motivation.

Its not an endorsement of how great or cheap renewables are, its just the ESB having no other choice to try meet targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Wouldn't say that, it's just a random executive position that changes regularly, Paul Reid used to be with Eircom, now in charge of HSE so I'd expect that a macro level understanding of what they do would be adequate, people seem to give more credit to actual positions than is deserved

• Advertisement

I know that it will never happen as the anti-rural rump in government won't allow it but a grant to install solar panels and small wind turbines in the gardens and farmyards or rural houses with a guaranteed buyback off the ESB would do more for grid stability than any pie in the sky ,twenty year in planning/objection type projects that every wing nut is pushing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Net zero won't be cheaper than continuing to burn gas at historically low prices. You have to factor in carbon taxes and carbon fines.

You still have to provide realistic prices for alternatives. Because nuclear needs backup and or storage and way more spinning reserve.

Both renewables and nuclear need the same GW of backup.

Providing minimum demand for nuclear means you have to provide power from elsewhere for half the hours in the year. And it has to be dispahtcable because nuclear isn't. So that means gas. Or enough storage to provide half our power all through the winter which is more than enough to get wind and solar through dark calm days in winter.

on the other hand moving to providing more than minimum power from nuclear means doubling or even trebbling the number of reactors and them things are expensive if you ignore the PR and look at the actual costs of completed ones. (note : one in four plants that started construction weren't completed, so there's another huge overhead that you don't see in the brochure.)

Limiting 900kW turbines to 250kW output in NI doubled the capacity factor. So having another 15GW of wind on the grid could provide our demand 80% of time. That alone would get us to 2030 target. Beyond that the massive excess at times could be stored.

Round trip efficiency of 40% out of 15GW surplus wind would get you 6GW. Prices for hydrolysers aren't excessive and will fall with volume. (Setting up a 2.5GW per year factory costs £50-55m and like prices for storing hydrogen are a rounding error)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Except the percentages he quotes are based on MWh figures. Not MW. Big difference, MW is measure of instanteous power, MWh is measure of electricity consumed. So "replacement" doesn't even come into it.

I don't follow your other point about "preventing ceasing (sic)".....I've worked on a lot of wind turbines over the years, and haven't seen any import power to a significant degree. Turbines are perfectly happy simply idling in low wind, with a very small parasitic load measured in tens of kW, which is basically just used to power the yaw motors to allow the turbine to follow the wind (when windspeed increases).

Limiting 900kW turbines to 250kW output in NI doubled the capacity factor.

This is not the selling point you think it is - just a tacit admission that turbines output is so poor across the year that if you downrate it, suddenly its closer to hitting capacity. A rebranding exercise to distract from poor true capacity.

if you downrate it, suddenly its closer to hitting 80% capacity. - FYP

A Scotland offshore wind farm had a capacity factor of 57.1% Which means it was generating a 25 - 33% of nameplate capacity for a even longer.

https://energynumbers.info/uk-offshore-wind-capacity-factors - these graphs for UK, Belgium, Denmark and Germany show that the rolling average for offshore wind is at a minimum of 25-30% of rated capacity. Once you know how long the rolling average was you can work out how much storage would be needed.

The original data sets are every half hour from https://transparency.entsoe.eu/

• Advertisement

I suppose your spinning reserve could be provided by another nuclear reactor , ( or 2 , if your single point of failure is part of the grid transmitting 2 reactors worth of power .. )

And you're going to need another spare reactor to cover for the reactors that are being refueled or in maintenance ,

Obviously , the grid would need some serious beefing up ..

And you'd need some serious grid level storage too - to load balance ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭josip

Where has it been said by the government that the electricity generation sector must be net-zero by 2050? I can only find statements that the economy across all sectors must be net zero.

From what I read, it's by the end of 2050, not the start, so 12 more months than I had thought.

Plus net-zero would mean that our exports of any renewable surplus could be used to offset against any non-renewable generation even after 2050.

So it would be perfectly ok to generate some of our electricity from gas during calmer periods as long as we exported more during the year?

Tis a pity none of that corresponds to any type of reality on grids around Europe

We will be importing plenty of nuclear anyway once that interconnector in Cork gets built. As for targets, wouldn't get too hung up on them given that successive governments have ignored multiple EU targets on water quality, habitat protections etc. for decades now

You misread the post I was responding too so none of that is relevant unless you actually believe that every bit of wind power produced replaces its exact equivalent of gas.🙄

I appreciate you clearing that up for me "eye role".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭gjim

Nah - you're clearly still confused and are repeating the same fundamental mistake.

The original claim was "Take 2020 fuel mix. 43% renewables and 50% natural gas." - this refers to energy. Your response "Your labouring under the fallacy that ever MW of wind replaces a MW of gas" is a statement about power.

It's like if people were discussing the distance between Dublin and Cork - and you pipe up that a Ferrari is faster than a a Lada. It demonstrates you're not at the races in terms of understanding the fundamental concepts being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Was just looking at the Eirgrid website.

Showing the graph for energy demand for the past 24 hours. Notice at approximately 4 am, the energy demand began to increase.

Would this be when most vehicles start to be charge?

• Advertisement

If you install offshore wind equal to three times peak demand (3x33.8% =100%) then you will be able to meet peak demand 53% of the time with wind alone. Minimum demand is roughly half peak demand and would be met 74% of the time.

During the other 47% of the time peak demand could be met on average by ~23.5% from offshore wind and ~23.5% from other sources which can include gas, interconnectors, biomass, waste to energy , storage, demand shedding, hydro and solar. So would stay within 2030 target.

Graph from https://energynumbers.info/uk-offshore-wind-capacity-factors by Andrew ZP Smith, ORCID 0000-0002-8215-4526

Pity that has FA relevance to operation issues and costs on the grid imposed by accommodating the greenwash fantasies of your type

I wouldn't have thought so, I would imagine most cars start at the beginning of night rate (12 or 1am) and finish when they finish from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Yeah most likely best fit the points to generate the daily graphs.

97% ?

There was about 903MW being exported at the time.

Industry starting up, Deliveries to supermarkets start around then, Ovens would be heating up for deli etc.

How would you know? Just because you don't understand something - the difference between energy and power - doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

You couldn't be more wrong. Distinguishing between energy and power is absolutely relevant and fundamental to all aspects of running a grid. Electrical engineers and grid operators would never confuse them the way you do continually.

No wonder you're confused about how electricity is being de-carbonized.

The ESB has set out an ambitious programme to reach Net Zero carbon emissions by 2040 and to increase its capacity from renewable energy sources five-fold by 2030 to five gigawatts of power.

The renewable technologies will include wind, solar and storage, with the big emphasis being on offshore wind.

....the future of Moneypoint power station.

It says it is sticking to plans to shut down the coal plant there and to build a 1.5GW wind farm offshore. The power generated from that could be used to generate green hydrogen at a new power hub at Moneypoint.

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Eamon Ryan has welcomed the ESB's 2040 Net Zero plans and says hydrogen will be a big part of the future of energy in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I still wonder about the logic of completely scapping money point and tarbert - they both have their own stores of oil and aren't dependant on pipelines - just keep them mothballed with a skeleton staff,and run them the bare minimum - for a few years at least , and I know they'd take days to get up to operating temperature,

Better to be looking at it than for it .. ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Does Anyone know anything about the Allam cycle gas generators - randomly saw some stuff about it on you-tube , but it was about 5 years old ,

It's supposed to be a much much more efficient way of electricity while removing the carbon dioxide -

Just surprised ( from watching the videos) that it's not being touted everywhere as a planet saving tech .. !! A cheap way of backing up renewables without CO² emissions -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Cos i live in the real world outside your greenwashed fairy land. Your ignorance of the best performing grids in the EU in terms of costs and carbon outputs makes a mockery of your BS on here.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/millions-offered-to-future-gas-plants-in-bid-to-meet-growing-demand-for-energy-41315167.html

I think were arguing the same side of the page here 😂😂😂

You're saying wind doesn't work because we have to build more gas fueled turbines..

Pro wind are saying because wind works and we're building more of it,so we need more gas turbines ,as back up ..

As a country we're trying to move to more electrified systems ( cars ,heating ect ) , which will need more electricity ...and more generating capacity ...

If I were building a new on shore wind farm tomorrow , how much state support would I get ? , Do I only get paid per unit of electricity produced ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

From BBC - [Australia's largest coal-fired power station will close seven years earlier than planned, as its operator says it is increasingly unable to compete with the "influx of renewables".

The 2.88 gigawatt Eraring plant is located in the Hunter region north of Sydney and operated by Origin Energy.

The plant will now close in 2025 and be replaced by a large-scale battery.]

More signs that both renewables and batteries are making coal uneconomic.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Did you actually read the article you posted?

If not, I draw your attention to this part

However, the multi-million-euro contracts on offer include generating plants that are not yet built and may struggle to get planning permission.

So as you live in the real world and not a green-washed fairy land, please explain how you preferred option of nuclear power stations will get planning permission?

In the real world I live in, the complexities of getting planning permission for nuclear would be 100 times harder than for gas.

Your real world is obviously different so you obviously have a cunning plan for this.

• Advertisement

You're paid per unit of electricity, from what I understand of the process. You'd have win at an RESS action where your bid includes a price per MWh and how much capacity you're proposing to provide. After all bids have been submitted and vetted, a settlement price is chosen so that all bids with a price per MWh below this "win". So say this RESS round is looking to dish out 1GW of on-shore wind, and it receives bids to build 4GW, then the settlement price will be chosen to ensure that there are only 1GW worth of winning bids - the winning bids will all have lower prices than any of the losing bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Electricity bill just landed. Its well up and 30% of it is made up of standing charge, vat and bloody public sector charge.

Am taxed to the neck when I get paid, and am taxed again on the services I cant manage without.

Well standing charge is supposed to go towards the meter and costs of providing the line - Vat is vat ( pure tax ) , and the public service levy is supposed to cover things like turf power stations ( now gone) and any extra for wind energy ..

That renewable part should drop significantly as wind should be cheaper than (currently ) very expensive gas -

As (if) established onshore wind continues to get cheaper (as it becomes more established ? And hopefully costs come down ? ) you should see you see the pso levy being roved from some of the wind energy , although it'll probably be replaced by levys for grid level batteries and off shore wind ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

More likely that on costs will go up to pay for subsidising complete nonsenses like solar. We are heading in the direction of the German model which has been huge taxes and levies to fund the cheap renewables, which of course end up being far more expensive for the consumer than conventional energy sources. The cheap lie.

I think if they're going to pay a subsidy for solar it should include an element of battery storage ,and not a straight pay per unit produced - ( which will be very heavily loaded towards midday especially on cheaper fixed arrays ) , as well as obviously very seasonal ...

But yeah , I wonder about the economics of large scale solar in Ireland - just because the panels are cheap ... the grid it's feeding isn't ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement