Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

Boarding small aircraft there is a necessary weigh-in of passengers, eg the Islander. On the take-off run, as a passenger, you feel if the aircraft is heavy, as it bumps up and down on the gear quite sharply as it rolls when heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Interesting piece looking at volume of notices provided to pilots, denting their effectiveness and contributing to safety incidents.

https://twitter.com/maxk_j/status/1380878773420105734?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I have been saying this for years. Pages and pages of absolutely useless information within a set of notams and an actual important piece of information buried in the middle of it.
    I know some operators have tried to highlight words like "closed" because it could relate to something important. They definitely need to reduce clutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Our NOTAMS are divided into departure ‘ destination alternate airports, followed by airspace, then enroute airspace. This is where it gets interesting, watching the countries like Greece and Turkey fighting through notams is mind numbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭General Disarray

The alphabet vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

smurfjed wrote: »
    then enroute airspace. This is where it gets interesting, watching the countries like Greece and Turkey fighting through notams is mind numbing.

The joys of the provision of ATS in delegate airspace over international waters.
    Or any disputed territory for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Passenger throws coin into plane engine for 'good luck' :eek:

https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buzz/article/shocking-man-throws-coins-into-plane-engine-for-good-luck-airline-cancels-flight-for-safety-reasons/750012
    A passenger hoping to fly with some good luck ended up having the entire flight cancelled after he threw coins into the engine of the plane. Yes, the passenger actually threw metallic coins into one of the propellors of the flight, thinking it can bring him good luck.

The incident reportedly took place at an airport in Weifang. A male passenger, identified with the last name Wang, was scheduled to fly from Weifang to Haiku on a Beibu Gulf Airlines flight GX8814 when he threw a handful of coins into the engine.

Fortunately, the staff was soon alerted about the coins in the engine after workers found coins on the ground during the pre-takeoff inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I think hes second name was Ker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e74b6e5&opt=0

Mid air collision involving a Cirrus and a MetroJet, incredible that everyone involved walked away.

• Advertisement

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e74b6e5&opt=0

Mid air collision involving a Cirrus and a MetroJet, incredible that everyone involved walked away.

That was quite the spectacular escape. One that will go down in the annals of aviation accident history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The guys flying the Metroliner are probably earning less than the guy who owns the Cirrus. regional airline pay in the US is pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Not many GA aircraft have an in-built parachute like the Cirrus. Perhaps another type would have had a different outcome.

They were lucky for that outcome in the Metroliner, considering it has a reputation for being a bit unforgiving at the best of times, let alone when almost severed in two by the passage of another aircraft.

Not many GA aircraft have an in-built parachute like the Cirrus. Perhaps another type would have had a different outcome.

There's a perception among some detractors that the parachute leads to poorer airmanship because the option to pull it and resolve an otherwise unrecoverable incident is there.

I don't buy that myself. I think it's unlikely anyone would be more cavalier in their flying because of the perceived get out of jail card the parachute offers. That's just madness.

Worth noting that the Metroliner was single pilot ops on a cargo flight. Guy was cool as a cucumber. I doubt there's even a door to the flight deck on that type, so he would have realised the cabin got a whole lot breezier all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] I doubt there's even a door to the flight deck on that type, so he would have realised the cabin got a whole lot breezier all of a sudden.

There's no door between pilots and passenger/cargo area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

Worth noting that the Metroliner was single pilot ops on a cargo flight. Guy was cool as a cucumber. I doubt there's even a door to the flight deck on that type, so he would have realised the cabin got a whole lot breezier all of a sudden.
    The ATC recordings suggest he thought he had a right engine failure but maybe there are elements missing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5tb2dVWJqc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Reminiscent of the "convertible" Aloha Airlines 737 :eek:

553174.jpg

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

xper wrote: »
    The ATC recordings suggest he thought he had a right engine failure but maybe there are elements missing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5tb2dVWJqc

I'd say he did have right engine failure, probably ingested debris from the fuselage! Surprised on the audio it doesn't sound like there's much background noise, he's not even raising his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

Purely by coincidence last night I was watching a Youtube video of a Brit taking a Metroliner from Denver to the US's least-used lower 48 airport, somewhere in the boondocks of Nebraska. He was saying that the Metroliner was a rare bird now in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Fixed it for you.

Second interim report on the crash of G-OJCS NG5 on 13/6/19 now on AAIU site.

Storm 10 wrote: »

Such an "unnecessary" outcome, but thankfully not fatal. Using mogas, lapstrap only, and the almost tragedy of life that could have been lost "landing" in a well-chosen field under the circumstance. Better to allow it come down "in the rough" than what happened. I once had an experience of landing "in the rough" and usually you will get either very abrupt braking action or at worst some aircraft damage rather than very serious injury, A stall crash like this inevitably causes serious vertical impact. It was a near thing.

Im not a fan of the standard shoulder straps in 172s. They can slip off the lap strap very easily and they are about as effective as the belts on a Hillman Hunter. Most 172 operators refit modern four-point harnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

3.2 Probable Cause
    Loss of control due to stall and wing drop of the left wing at a low height during a forced
    landing following a detonation-induced engine failure.

3.3 Contributory Cause(s)
    1. Loss of airspeed during the final moments of the landing.
    2. The aircraft was routinely operated on automotive gasoline (Mogas), which was not
    approved for use and is less resistant to detonation than the approved fuel (Avgas).

Why in the world would someone use Mogas if it's not approved for that aircraft?

Mogas is not approved for use on fuel injected engines as it can cause vapour lock in the fuel lines. Apart from that,people use it for convenience when they can get it from their local petrol station,especially high turnover stations. Avgas is more expensive by at least a euro a litre and drives up the hourly cost of running an aircraft. It is not often available at the smaller airfields and private strips as the cost of fitting out an approved Avgas pump and associated tank and plumbing is very high. Mogas is allowed to be used on some carburetted engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Mogas is not approved for use on fuel injected engines as it can cause vapour lock in the fuel lines. Apart from that,people use it for convenience when they can get it from their local petrol station,especially high turnover stations. Avgas is more expensive by at least a euro a litre and drives up the hourly cost of running an aircraft. It is not often available at the smaller airfields and private strips as the cost of fitting out an approved Avgas pump and associated tank and plumbing is very high. Mogas is allowed to be used on some carburetted engines.

To be honest I find that explanation a bit bizarre. If someone's worried about the price of Avgas then they really shouldn't be in aviation. Knowingly putting Mogas in when it's not approved seems just plain madness...and criminal, I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

To be honest I find that explanation a bit bizarre. If someone's worried about the price of Avgas then they really shouldn't be in aviation. Knowingly putting Mogas in when it's not approved seems just plain madness...and criminal, I would suggest.

Frightening to think of what could have happened if the engine had failed over a town or City very lucky they were over fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Dreamliner nose collapse at Heathrow

E4JyBDFX0AcoxGF?format=jpg
    E4JyBEwWYAENWHB?format=jpg
    E4JyBKnXIAURC22?format=jpg

https://twitter.com/999London/status/1405811404171628544

Advertisement