Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

They were doing a gear solenoid test. Mechanic put the gear lock pin in the wrong hole. Easily done. Virgin carried out a modification on their 787’s which made it impossible to fit in the wrong area.. but BA didn’t do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

'A freighter aircraft has been damaged while stationary on stand. As a freighter only aircraft there were no passengers on board.‘

Not a good look for BA when they start lying to the public / media. That’s seriously unimpressive...

It’s not a freighter only aircraft... its by its very designation a passenger aircraft that ‘can’ obviously be used to haul freight in the lower deck compartments...

Obviously when an incident like this happens they’ve been thinking damage limitation but you don’t achieve that by trying to mislead the public.

Strumms wrote: »
    'A freighter aircraft has been damaged while stationary on stand. As a freighter only aircraft there were no passengers on board.‘

Not a good look for BA when they start lying to the public / media. That’s seriously unimpressive...

It’s not a freighter only aircraft... its by its very designation a passenger aircraft that ‘can’ obviously be used to haul freight in the lower deck compartments...

Obviously when an incident like this happens they’ve been thinking damage limitation but you don’t achieve that by trying to mislead the public.

I am assuming that because you are on an aviation forum you know a thing or 2 about aircraft or at the very least take a keen interest.

Put yourself in the shoes of Joe Public who really has no clue and only cares about the Ryanair Airbus 747 that will bring them on their holidays! So BA, or whoever control the narritive and the average flyer knows any different.

Point example, those HERO EI pilots last year that flew to China to get PPE for Ireland. Oh you mean the guys that did a long haul flight following a prescribbed route thats taken by aircraft every day following the standard risk assessment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I get your point but dont think its any nefarious coverup.

I read elsewhere that this aircraft has actually been only used for freighter operations over the last few weeks (no info on whether or not the seats were removed) Thus it is an aircraft that is carrying our freight flights.
    The first question in 'normal' times would be "how many people were onboard and were any injured"

• Advertisement

I am assuming that because you are on an aviation forum you know a thing or 2 about aircraft or at the very least take a keen interest.

Put yourself in the shoes of Joe Public who really has no clue and only cares about the Ryanair Airbus 747 that will bring them on their holidays! So BA, or whoever control the narritive and the average flyer knows any different.

Point example, those HERO EI pilots last year that flew to China to get PPE for Ireland. Oh you mean the guys that did a long haul flight following a prescribbed route thats taken by aircraft every day following the standard risk assessment.

And that EI A330 didnt magically turn into a cargo aircraft or freighter... it was still a passanger A330

This 787 was still a 787... of which ZERO freighters or cargo variations exist.. so to refer to it as such is disengenous by BA...deliberatly refered to as a freighter to mislead people...ie. distancing the idea that people could have been sat on it, press releases should have facts, nothing else..

Id consider myself 'joe public' and appreciate when i read something in the news its factual... as opposed to something made up for PR purposes as has been clearly done here. Shame the journalists didn’t simply point it out but I’d imagine with advertising revenue etc...

And that EI A330 didnt magically turn into a cargo aircraft or freighter... it was still a passanger A330

This 787 was still a 787... of which ZERO freighters or cargo variations exist.. so to refer to it as such is disengenous by BA...deliberatly refered to as a freighter to mislead people...ie. distancing the idea that people could have been sat on it, press releases should have facts, nothing else..

Id consider myself 'joe public' and appreciate when i read something in the news its factual... as opposed to something made up for PR purposes as has been clearly done here. Shame the journalists didn’t simply point it out but I’d imagine with advertising revenue etc...

Did you direct this issue towards BA?

As for the journos and with stories like this that have a shelf life of zero. They get the release, copy and paste and pull a picture of any aircraft that is near them and upload. But yeh, shame on the journalists and their lack of integrity! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Frightening to think of what could have happened if the engine had failed over a town or City very lucky they were over fields.

Unless you are over the centre of a large metropolitan area, it's not a major worry. You can glide quite a distance,even in a 172. Over Dublin, as an example, ATC would route single-engined aircraft in such a way that they would be able to force-land clear of housing or built up areas. Pilots are always conscious of the potential forced landing scenario and are trained to think of emergency events such as electrical failure in flight or engine failure.

Did you direct this issue towards BA?

As for the journos and with stories like this that have a shelf life of zero. They get the release, copy and paste and pull a picture of any aircraft that is near them and upload. But yeh, shame on the journalists and their lack of integrity! :rolleyes:

Why should i contact BA ? This is a discussion forum.. its being discussed here :)

Yes... shame on them for not reporting facts and the truth... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I don't get what the discussion is. When the incident occurred it was being used for freight only, therefore it was a freighter. :confused:

• Advertisement

Why should i contact BA ? This is a discussion forum.. its being discussed here :)

Yes... shame on them for not reporting facts and the truth... :)

You’re the only one “discussing” it.

I don't get what the discussion is. When the incident occurred it was being used for freight only, therefore it was a freighter. :confused:

the aircraft was not fitted out as a freighter. It still retained all it's passenger seats and galleys and was flying with all freight carried in the holds. BA's use of the word freighter is disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

To be honest I find that explanation a bit bizarre. If someone's worried about the price of Avgas then they really shouldn't be in aviation. Knowingly putting Mogas in when it's not approved seems just plain madness...and criminal, I would suggest.

Plenty of folk adopting this sort of attitude in the Irish GA scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Stovepipe wrote: »
    the aircraft was not fitted out as a freighter. It still retained all it's passenger seats and galleys and was flying with all freight carried in the holds. BA's use of the word freighter is disingenuous.

I think people are just looking for something to give out about. It's perfectly clear what the message was; it was not a passenger service, there were no passengers on board, no passengers could have been injured. Plenty of freight dog pilots fly freight on planes that fly passengers by day and cargo by night. The seats are removed in those cases but it's still essentially the same plane. No passengers, just cargo, exactly like the BA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That's a slightly off topic comment.

To the most members of the public the pilots were not praised for the actual route or procedure of the flight - it was for what they did in heading in to a very uncertain situation. They flew into the centre of what was a rapidly emerging pandemic of a disease that no one knew much about ... except that it was very contagious, with a high mortality rate and no known treatment or cure.

The flights were undertaken to bring back much needed equipment in order to save lives back at home. Personally, I would be less sarcastic about their efforts.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That's a slightly off topic comment.

To the most members of the public the pilots were not praised for the actual route or procedure of the flight - it was for what they did in heading in to a very uncertain situation. They flew into the centre of what was a rapidly emerging pandemic of a disease that no one knew much about ... except that it was very contagious, with a high mortality rate and no known treatment or cure.

The flights were undertaken to bring back much needed equipment in order to save lives back at home. Personally, I would be less sarcastic about their efforts.

I suppose we will have to disagree. EI, or any other airline would not send it crew without first conducting a thorough risk assessment of the situation. They deemed it to be safe.

It was hardly ground breaking. They flew a flight plan, landed, loaded up and the other crew flew back. Interaction was kept at a minimum. (Well I assume it was, I didnt hear about any of that crew getting Covid)

The 'hardest' part of that flight was probably having to pax over and fly it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

I suppose we will have to disagree. EI, or any other airline would not send it crew without first conducting a thorough risk assessment of the situation. They deemed it to be safe.

It was hardly ground breaking. They flew a flight plan, landed, loaded up and the other crew flew back. Interaction was kept at a minimum. (Well I assume it was, I didnt hear about any of that crew getting Covid)

The 'hardest' part of that flight was probably having to pax over and fly it back.

Agreed.

The whole thing was a money grabbing exercise which coupled nicely as a PR exercise.

AL crews didn't even leave the aircraft during the whole "ordeal". Absolute heroes.

The AAIU site seems to have come to life again; investigations list updated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

737-200 ditched after take off from Honolulu this morning:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e9bbe04&opt=0

the crew were saved by the Coast Guard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0923/1248635-air-crash/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

F-HIRD P68. It's been flying on survey duties from Waterford in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Footage emerged of the F-35 taking a leisurely stroll off the end of the HMS Queen Elisabeth. Looks very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Looks like someone left the handbrake off and it just rolled in...🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

The other day they were saying a plastic engine cover/blank hadn't been removed. Seems an incredibly costly mistake if so.

I've read that the inlets have an outer blank and an inner blank and it is possible to miss the second,inner blank, especially if it falls over and appears to have been removed. There have been several close calls with the type already,because of these blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Which Airline is this? When did it happen?

Scary is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Advertisement