Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

doc_17 wrote: »
    This by 100.

Think of the pressure that must have been brought to bear on the staff. We aren’t open for students until Monday and the place is still mad.

In other news, looks like all staff meetings will have to be virtual from Thursday if there are more than 6.....

Where are you hearing this about more than 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

doc_17 wrote: »
    This by 100.

Think of the pressure that must have been brought to bear on the staff. We aren’t open for students until Monday and the place is still mad.

In other news, looks like all staff meetings will have to be virtual from Thursday if there are more than 6.....

Yet 160+ for an assembly today was fair game. You couldn't make this sh!t up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Absolutely taking the proverbial

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Presume it's in relation to indoor gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

scrubs33 wrote: »
    The managerial body for the school have been tweeting their praise for the organisation of the event etc. I really don’t see what everyone else is worried about. Can do attitude goes a long way; even as far as stopping a virus. We all need to follow this lead...

Worth noting that the head of that organisation was until fairly recently principal of that school in carlow. Nothing against the organistaion but ffs does mgt at the school not have a brain to stand back and think for a moment - maybe our one big assembly isn't a great idea this year:eek:

• Advertisement

trihead wrote: »
    Worth noting that the head of that organisation was until fairly recently principal of that school in carlow. Nothing against the organistaion but ffs does mgt at the school not have a brain to stand back and think for a moment - maybe our one big assembly isn't a great idea this year:eek:

And does it really need to be on TV? RTE didn't magically know they were opening today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Mardy Bum wrote: »

I heard it from a deputy earlier who says that’s what their principal heard from their DOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

lulublue22 wrote: »
    What I think is very interesting is that the principal is adamant that the assembly was in compliance with the guidelines citing using the hall for 3 classes

Surely those guidelines assume there's a partition between groups of classes in the hall? Not sure how they could work otherwise. If that's the case then that Principal is misreading them badly if she equates an assembly to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Rosita wrote: »
    Surely those guidelines assume there's a partition between groups of classes in the hall? Not sure how they could work otherwise. If that's the case then that Principal is misreading them badly if she equates an assembly to that.

You'd have to wonder what other stunts that principal had been planning on pulling and if they are being reconsidered now?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Practical work guidelines have been published at long last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Well they're hardly going to say their own work is a shitshow are they?

We've been discussing here for weeks how kids are going to fit into classrooms safely, what precautions have been put in place etc, public gatherings are essentially a no-no at the moment, but they can have a gathering of 150+ people?

How do they go about justifying that when we've been told not to have all staff together in the one place for staff meetings?

It's not about a can do attitude, there are guidelines there and they are being followed or they're not.

I know they can’t run it down but they could at least have held off on promoting it. It seemed like it had barely finished and the tweet was gone out. My point is that despite the guidelines etc there will be principals who will look at this and say we can do exactly the same. I wonder how other schools in Carlow feel about this? Our principal is very image conscious and could look at that as an example of what can be done (unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Practical teachers,hope you are all ready for the extra half hour in the evening allocated to cleaning,disinfecting etc.

I do not see schools /etbs spending the money on all the cleaning stuff required....as usual you will put your hand in your own pocket!

scrubs33 wrote: »
    I know they can’t run it down but they could at least have held off on promoting it. It seemed like it had barely finished and the tweet was gone out. My point is that despite the guidelines etc there will be principals who will look at this and say we can do exactly the same. I wonder how other schools in Carlow feel about this? Our principal is very image conscious and could look at that as an example of what can be done (unfortunately)

Sorry, your post appeared to be in support of the tweet the way it was written.

For every principal going 'wow great PR opportunity' I'd like to think there's at least another rolling their eyes and going 'ffs, just open your school as safely as possible'.

ethical wrote: »
    Practical teachers,hope you are all ready for the extra half hour in the evening allocated to cleaning,disinfecting etc.

I do not see schools /etbs spending the money on all the cleaning stuff required....as usual you will put your hand in your own pocket!

I'm not going to pay for cleaning materials out of my own pocket. enough stuff in my science lab has come from my own pocket, but is kept in my locker under lock and key. If cleaning materials are not provided for my lab, I will inform the LWR and I will refuse to teach science in the lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Sorry, your post appeared to be in support of the tweet the way it was written.

For every principal going 'wow great PR opportunity' I'd like to think there's at least another rolling their eyes and going 'ffs, just open your school as safely as possible'.

"How could inviting national media to the school on the first day during a pandemic ever go wrong?"

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Some of our so called colleagues are absolute delusional loons!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Back tomorrow. We were told this evening that the PPE hasn't arrived (didn't see that one coming :rolleyes: ) so we will have to provide our own in the interim.

Kids not in tomorrow and I know practically everyone in the country is in possession of a mask anyway, so it's no big deal in the scheme of things, but if this is how competent they are on day one, I despair at the thoughts of what it will be like when they start getting complacent.

I've never felt the fear as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

ethical wrote: »

You would be quite foolish to spend your own money on cleaning equipment. As for staying behind to sanitise room, that might last a week or two but once the works piles on and the evenings get dark I can’t see all staff being as particular about this.

People will get lax, I know when I’m tired I am less inclined to wait on in evenings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

If every school in the country did that and didn't fail anyone in Maths then there will have to be downgrades. Same for every other subject.

Why do there have to be downgrades ? Are you willing to teach your 6th year students who fail maths but repeat to matriculate ? I wouldn't be entertaining this.

Certainly we cannot be having a major increase in the number of top grades awarded for fairness to candidates from previous years. But what I don't agree with is failing students for the sake of failing them or because the computer says no.

In recognition of the extraordinary circumstances, no one should fail this year. Or at the very least have matriculation requirements waived for applicants who fail maths.

Norma Foley on Primetime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Norma Foley on Primetime

Car crash incoming

Aaaaaand the first question is being attempted to be avoided already. She got there eventually I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭amacca

Preferable

Best practice

Advisable

Hmmmmm.........

A suite of resources......it sounds so reassuring

Not just extra resources ...a whole suite of them, like take your pick, we got all kinds a music here, country and western!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

amacca wrote: »
    Preferable

Best practice

Advisable

Hmmmmm.........

Yes preferable. What you want is for heads to roll for a school doing its best.

I think much of the criticism of Norma Foley is unwarranted. She has kept a very low profile, obviously working very hard behind the scenes.
    I've even heard some teachers here criticise her appearance FFS. Leave this woman do her job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

[/QUOTE=ethical;114422721]Practical teachers,hope you are all ready for the extra half hour in the evening allocated to cleaning,disinfecting etc.

I do not see schools /etbs spending the money on all the cleaning stuff required....as usual you will put your hand in your own pocket![/QUOTE]

Practical teachers are well used to this. Staff in my place going mad about wiping down a table and the practical teachers were just laughing. Honestly, based on what I've seen, there won't be a dramatic change to how I'll be carrying out practicals other than they'll have their own Googles and lab coats will need to be washed. All our glassware etc is out through a dishwasher every use and tables are disinfected.

soso02 wrote: »

I think much of the criticism of Norma Foley is unwarranted. She has kept a very low profile, obviously working very hard behind the scenes.
    I've even heard some teachers here criticise her appearance FFS. Leave this woman do her job

:D ok then, you clearly know what you are talking about, I shall bow to your superior knowledge of what shes been doing behind the scenes

I must be mistaken when i thought what i heard was a well rehearsed speech with lots of buzzwords and nearly all respinsibilty ultimately conveniently shifted to those poor public health officials.....I wasnt filled with confidence personally but....at least she was deginite about the facemask I suppose.

As for heads to roll, ok fair enough, perhaps they shouldnt roll but i do think there should be a slap ob the wrist for putting over a hundred students + whatever staff were there into a room for what seemed to me to be highly dubious reasons and i suspected were really self PR.....i think those public health officials would agree. People need to cop on, there cant be any over riding need for that

If were going to have a national conniption about the golf thing then that has to be on a par........and it might make some of the more eager beavers focus on what the priorities should be for the next couple of months and maybe let the PR take a rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I would hate for our efforts to be destroyed for naught... But I kinda want the kids to tweet images of the classrooms and the practicalities of school social distancing, just like in the states and Scotland, and see how the public reacts to authentic visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

soso02 wrote: »

I don't agree with the comments on appearance. It's irrelevant.

But someone working hard behind the scenes would know her own dept's guidelines on masks at second level.

The Dept: they're recommended.
    The Minister: they're compulsory.

The criticism of her performance is fully warranted when she can't even get that right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

What questions would you have put to Norma if you could?

Advertisement