Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HD_Cooney mush

Nice one!! I'll have to start ringing around next week to get quotes. Good luck to me. I'll take all your advice and see what I can get it for. I'll be on an A2 license, smaller bike, wonder does that make a difference or do they just pull numbers out of thin air...

I started off with Liberty as I have them as a car insurer. They wouldn't quote me on my bike unless I had 5 years no claims bonus or a grade 2 liberty/axa insurance assessment.

Then I moved on to Axa. They also required me to have a Grade 2 insurance assessment and quoted me E917 fully comp.

Principle next and they were much more helpful. Qouted me E591.98 for fully comp and E480.21 for TPF&T.

And finally it was on to Carol Nash. They quoted me E551.99 for fully comp.
    Which was a good price but I then decided to start trying to shave some off.
    So I told Carol Nash I had been quoted E500 from Principle for fully comp (which wasn't true but what they don't know won't hurt them ;-) )

A few minutes later and the lady I was talking to spoke to her supervisor and they reduced my qoute to E491.93. I told them I wanted to have a think about it and I phoned Principle back straight away and asked if they could beat the price and they said they couldn't go any lower so phoned Carol Nash back and went ahead with their quote.

Moral of the story, fill them with ****e because they do pull prices out of thin air. So you should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I started off with Liberty as I have them as a car insurer. They wouldn't quote me on my bike unless I had 5 years no claims bonus or a grade 2 liberty/axa insurance assessment.

Then I moved on to Axa. They also required me to have a Grade 2 insurance assessment and quoted me E917 fully comp.

Principle next and they were much more helpful. Qouted me E591.98 for fully comp and E480.21 for TPF&T.

And finally it was on to Carol Nash. They quoted me E551.99 for fully comp.
    Which was a good price but I then decided to start trying to shave some off.
    So I told Carol Nash I had been quoted E500 from Principle for fully comp (which wasn't true but what they don't know won't hurt them ;-) )

A few minutes later and the lady I was talking to spoke to her supervisor and they reduced my qoute to E491.93. I told them I wanted to have a think about it and I phoned Principle back straight away and asked if they could beat the price and they said they couldn't go any lower so phoned Carol Nash back and went ahead with their quote.

Moral of the story, fill them with ****e because they do pull prices out of thin air. So you should do the same.

Absolutely, I’m one swift sentence of saying look I want to do business with ye and give them a few compliments and the price drops cause they pick it out of thin air. So funny as so many might not ever ask. Liberty don’t seem to be easy to deal with at all. AXA underwrite most of the other insurers anyway, I’ve found all 3 nice to deal with CN, AXA & Principal. Moral of the story part 2
    “If you don’t ask you don’t receive”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Any recommendations for an instructor to do a pre-test or two for Tallaght? Cheers

I’m decided I’m going with the 125cc for the next few months and get in my road experience. Even the owner of The Harley shop agreed that road experience is the most important to get under the belt. Have my eye on 125cc cruisers at the mo so I’ll be purchasing in the next week fingers crossed if the ones I’m looking at are available and work out. :D Important to get one if there’s Lockdown again as I’ll have quiet roads to practice on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Best of luck and don't forget to put up some pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I’m decided I’m going with the 125cc for the next few months and get in my road experience. Even the owner of The Harley shop agreed that road experience is the most important to get under the belt. Have my eye on 125cc cruisers at the mo so I’ll be purchasing in the next week fingers crossed if the ones I’m looking at are available and work out. :D Important to get one if there’s Lockdown again as I’ll have quiet roads to practice on :D

Don't forget to pick up a good lock unless you have somewhere safe like your rear garden best to have it before you get the bike

I picked up one of the ground anchor and a 14mm Chain and bolted it to the wall of the house as I cant get down the side to the back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

The excitement!!! good luck with the shopping and don't forget to post pics!! I'm with you on the trying to get sorted before another lockdown, quiet roads would be lovely!!

I'm supposed to finish my IBT this Friday morning.... wondering with the storm and all that whether it'll happen. I don't mind the rain but let's keep positive that the alert stays orange/yellow only for today and tomorrow.

Silly question but are there any good mounts \ stands that could support the bike when parked up?

I will be storing mine out the back of the house with just a cover for now until I get a new shed sorted

Would prefer to have something stable so it doesn't get blown over or fall on the kids!

Don't forget to pick up a good lock unless you have somewhere safe like your rear garden best to have it before you get the bike

I picked up one of the ground anchor and a 14mm Chain and bolted it to the wall of the house as I cant get down the side to the back garden

Yea I’ve got a ground anchor ready to go and I’ll get a another lock for the brakes or brake disc. I’ll be parking my car snug to it too. If you want the bike you’ll have to take both of them :D
    The excitement!!! good luck with the shopping and don't forget to post pics!! I'm with you on the trying to get sorted before another lockdown, quiet roads would be lovely!!

I'm supposed to finish my IBT this Friday morning.... wondering with the storm and all that whether it'll happen. I don't mind the rain but let's keep positive that the alert stays orange/yellow only for today and tomorrow.

Thanks :) Best of luck with the IBT, I was only looking outside this morning thinking I was right to try get out done asap as I knew the weather would be all over the place. Let us know how you get on with the IBT Friday. Yea look how wonderful it was out yesterday plus there is still plenty of heat in it. Have you ridden previously? How did you find the first day?

Seen a lovely Honda Rebel 125cc for 2k but it’s a year 2000 bike. That’s way too much for that year of bike. Anyone any opinions on Rebels or that pricing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did my IBT in a storm, well the part in the compound, it was an excellent learning curve tbh.

My own the road piece was in the lashings of rain, again dealing with Friday traffic in torrential rain was brilliant for learning. I've hardly been off the bike since I got it, it bought a 250 but have already since sold it and gone to a CBR600F3. World of difference but the riad time on the 250 was invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

Seen a lovely Honda Rebel 125cc for 2k but it’s a year 2000 bike. That’s way too much for that year of bike. Anyone any opinions on Rebels or that pricing?

That's what I sold mine for 19 years ago and it was already second hand :eek: !!! Sounds like a lot of money, but it's a beautiful bike to ride (unless you're going uphill when theres SFA power out of it and feels like a moped)

Edited because I forgot to say, I've been on the compound only for the 2 sessions I've done (my IBT is broken int 3) and really enjoyed it. One of the days it was in melting heat so I don't know what'll be worse. The only thing I'm concerned about for Friday is the wind/gusts. Rain is a common enough occurrence in Ireland so might as well get used to it :-)

That's what I sold mine for 19 years ago and it was already second hand :eek: !!! Sounds like a lot of money, but it's a beautiful bike to ride (unless you're going uphill when theres SFA power out of it and feels like a moped)

Edited because I forgot to say, I've been on the compound only for the 2 sessions I've done (my IBT is broken int 3) and really enjoyed it. One of the days it was in melting heat so I don't know what'll be worse. The only thing I'm concerned about for Friday is the wind/gusts. Rain is a common enough occurrence in Ireland so might as well get used to it :-)

Yea it’s too much but looks very good condition and a nice list of work recently done to it. I’ll see it’s Plan B atm. The condition is impressive tbf. Ah IBT broken into 3, that’s very interesting way to go. I’ll avoid the hills so lol When I was driving the 125 back to the compound after the road drive I was going 80 with the wind gusting hard into me and a truck past so I went to position one as I didn’t need any more wind in my face :D Exactly the weather in Ireland is all over the place if you were fair weather rider you’d barely ever get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Lad, don't get sucked in. This is a bike to get you to the A or A2, think cheap and cheerful, these lads are dreamers. You'd get a 4 or 5 year old grom for 500 more, 1k more and you have a brand new keeway, think diminishing returns, would you get 2k for that bike in 6 months time, no, cos you're not a cheeky b'stard. I'd forget the cruiser thing and keep an open mind, your next bike in 6 months can be a cruiser, just get something to learn on easily that's not a lemon. I never felt strongly about any particular style of bike even when starting so it's easy for me to say, but you're not buying your dream bike right now.

zubair wrote: »
    Lad, don't get sucked in. This is a bike to get you to the A or A2, think cheap and cheerful, these lads are dreamers. You'd get a 4 or 5 year old grom for 500 more, 1k more and you have a brand new keeway, think diminishing returns, would you get 2k for that bike in 6 months time, no, cos you're not a cheeky b'stard. I'd forget the cruiser thing and keep an open mind, your next bike in 6 months can be a cruiser, just get something to learn on easily that's not a lemon. I never felt strongly about any particular style of bike even when starting so it's easy for me to say, but you're not buying your dream bike right now.

Was looking at a lovely CBF125 but it’s gone, looked the business, I quite enjoyed the CG125 in the IBT. I’ll be ready to go in the next few days so never know what bikes will be available, watch this space :D Sound advice , thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The last time I was on a bike was 15 years ago and it was the day I passed my test.
    But am now shopping and really not sure whether to go for a wee 125 for a few months or to go straight for a 250. I definitely would not have the confidence to go bigger than that. There will be no big mileage done. I am really tempted to go for a Mutt Mongrel 250...
    bikes_eleven_img_one_hero_2048x2048.jpg

Usually prefer modern bikes but that's a cool looking bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

The last time I was on a bike was 15 years ago and it was the day I passed my test.
    But am now shopping and really not sure whether to go for a wee 125 for a few months or to go straight for a 250. I definitely would not have the confidence to go bigger than that. There will be no big mileage done. I am really tempted to go for a Mutt Mongrel 250...
    bikes_eleven_img_one_hero_2048x2048.jpg

Was really tempted to get one too as a city bike.

goblin59 wrote: »
    Was really tempted to get one too as a city bike.

They are a really cool bike tbf, love the overall look of it. Performance wise I wonder what they are like.

They are a really cool bike tbf, love the overall look of it. Performance wise I wonder what they are like.

I know Franklins have them.
    I'm not really in the market to buy another bike, although i keep looking at them xD

had a go on a royal enfield when i was home in fermanagh the other week, seriously tempting bike for the money.
    He payed less than 5k sterling for a brand new Himalayan with panniers and other bits.
    Really nice weight on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I know Franklins have them.
    I'm not really in the market to buy another bike, although i keep looking at them xD

had a go on a royal enfield when i was home in fermanagh the other week, seriously tempting bike for the money.
    He payed less than 5k sterling for a brand new Himalayan with panniers and other bits.
    Really nice weight on it too.

I am going to go see them in Franklins at the weekend.
    I really don't understand how a bike that has an on the road cost of £3800 in the UK is over €6,000 here in ireland. I guess VRT, VAT and Transportation?

I am going to go see them in Franklins at the weekend.
    I really don't understand how a bike that has an on the road cost of £3800 in the UK is over €6,000 here in ireland. I guess VRT, VAT and Transportation?

Yeah pretty much, even the cost of living in the UK is lower tbh
    Why a few people go through the effort of buying used vehicles in the UK and bringing them back here

Its crazy how much more expensive cars and bikes are over here,

I've bought all my cars in the UK for the last 5-6 Years as they are so much cheaper compared to Ireland,

Currently looking to bring in a bike also as selection and prices over here is poor

zubair wrote: »

Suzuki GN125’s look nice and popular on the market aswell should hold their value in a few months time. If the Maurader goes today as it’s been viewed I’ll turn my attention to that type of bike but I am more open now cause I need to be able to learn on any bike and sell in few months too. Definitely opens up the field, thanks Zubair.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Anyine looking for a bike collected in UK and brought to Ireland. I used https://www.facebook.com/Shore-Way-Logistics-103959971341506/

Can't recommend him enough bike picked up in London and delivered to Galway in under 24 hours.. And really sound chap..

steven087 wrote: »
    Anyine looking for a bike collected in UK and brought to Ireland. I used https://www.facebook.com/Shore-Way-Logistics-103959971341506/

Can't recommend him enough bike picked up in London and delivered to Galway in under 24 hours.. And really sound chap..

was he expensive? Have a friend looking at a few at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

was he expensive? Have a friend looking at a few at the moment

€380 but cheaper if closer to Dublin I think.. Was good price for next day delivery and they look after everything for you

steven087 wrote: »
    €380 but cheaper if closer to Dublin I think.. Was good price for next day delivery and they look after everything for you

cheers!
    Have a friend looking at Harleys over there.
    Can't persuade them to get an adventure style bike xD

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HD_Cooney mush

cheers!
    Have a friend looking at Harleys over there.
    Can't persuade them to get an adventure style bike xD

Tell your friend that the cheapest place to buy Harleys at the moment is actually Ireland! We were importing Container loads of Harleys from the US the last 3/4 years as the market was great! The bikes were cheap in America and the demand was relatively high here at home and we had a lot of people come to us from the UK for them!

Due to Covid, HD have ceased production in the states until further notice and because of this, and the dealerships not being open, the demand for the second hand bikes has gone up drastically! So we had to stop importing as the profit margin was wiped out completely!

Even after all this, Ireland is still the cheapest place to buy a Harley! My advice, from someone who has been around Harleys all my life, don’t go to dealers of any form! Be that HD in Dub or Waterford or any independent dealers. They’re are plenty of garden shed bike mechanics around the midlands who specialize in US bikes and particularly Harleys!

• Advertisement

Tell your friend that the cheapest place to buy Harleys at the moment is actually Ireland! We were importing Container loads of Harleys from the US the last 3/4 years as the market was great! The bikes were cheap in America and the demand was relatively high here at home and we had a lot of people come to us from the UK for them!

Due to Covid, HD have ceased production in the states until further notice and because of this, and the dealerships not being open, the demand for the second hand bikes has gone up drastically! So we had to stop importing as the profit margin was wiped out completely!

Even after all this, Ireland is still the cheapest place to buy a Harley! My advice, from someone who has been around Harleys all my life, don’t go to dealers of any form! Be that HD in Dub or Waterford or any independent dealers. They’re are plenty of garden shed bike mechanics around the midlands who specialize in US bikes and particularly Harleys!

I'll definitly say that to them.
    Never thought i'd see Ireland being the cheapest place for a Harley tbh!
    I think she's after a newer one though, which could be part of why its so expensive to find one that she likes.

I must try and have a go on one at some point though to see what theyre like to ride.
    I had a go on a cafe racer bike, and felt cramped on it coming from an F650GS.
    I imagine these will be alot more spacious

Advertisement