Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds more Like Oliver Cromwell.... the bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That's just coked up Conor McGregor going to the Galway races

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Was one of the samurai in bushido blade meant to be Irish. Thought that was bizarre at the time but perhaps I'm misremembering.

Routine reminder that anybody who likes quake should try Dusk. Easily my fave game of the last decade. The level designs glorious.

Nintendo always under manufacture everything it keeps the brand premium. They can still sell Mario Odyssey for 60 euro two years on. Once you let the product become commoditized you're done. Other publishers/manufacturers could learn a lot from them even though on principal I hate the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Anyone tried using only UV light to restore yellowed plastic? I've been hesitant to mess with Retr0bright, but read on UKVAC that this does the same thing albeit more slowly. Chemistry is NOT my forté!

I've added an unyellowed piece for contrast. The rest of the machine looks great. I really want to improve this it's my first import console and still going strong.

522996.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just found out that two Akira t-shirts I've been wearing for almost 20 years and putting through the wash and dryer without thinking twice and worth over 500 quid each. One recently sold for 750 USD.

I literally only wore one of them to bed last night and just legged it down to pull it out of the washing basket before it went through another cycle!

Not sure why I'm posting this in here, just absolutely gobsmacked and nobody in real life seems to know wtf I'm talking about! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Just mental. Cool, but mental :)

Checked a few out on eBay, yep, loads of bids, all floating toward a grand. And that's with "the faded look"...

Master of the Universe

Yeah check out the price this went for!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-akira-Joker-T-Shirt-Size-XL-23-x-29-Movie-Promo-Rap-Tee-/164277478923?hash=item263fb3660b%3Ag%3AR9kAAOSwQRhfAhnD&nma=true&si=4%252BOro5nlJ1ZKtPKbEh%252Fi87gl5i0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here's a shot of my two I stuck up on reddit last night to see if there was any interest;

IMG-20200814-212928974.jpg

The one on the left is a little more faded and I've already received an offer of $550 on it. Hard to believe.

Here's a reflection of me wearing it with a tiger in 2007 :pac:

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

I tell you what, I may go digging through the rest of my wardrobe!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah check out the price this went for!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-akira-Joker-T-Shirt-Size-XL-23-x-29-Movie-Promo-Rap-Tee-/164277478923?hash=item263fb3660b%3Ag%3AR9kAAOSwQRhfAhnD&nma=true&si=4%252BOro5nlJ1ZKtPKbEh%252Fi87gl5i0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here's a shot of my two I stuck up on reddit last night to see if there was any interest;

IMG-20200814-212928974.jpg

The one on the left is a little more faded and I've already received an offer of $550 on it. Hard to believe.

Here's a reflection of me wearing it with a tiger in 2007 :pac:

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

I tell you what, I may go digging through the rest of my wardrobe!

Sure one of the ones on auction has "pinholes" in it, in other words worn down big time.

I don't know anymore, it's like anything remotely cool from the 80's is crazy sought after. I used to think it was just a phase but it keeps going and going and going. It's like a multigenerational thing.

Mad, in an entertaining way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Would it not be a LOT cheaper to just rip the design off and get a new tee printed? I mean it's a t-shirt...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Inviere wrote: »
    Would it not be a LOT cheaper to just rip the design off and get a new tee printed? I mean it's a t-shirt...:o

Surprised that's not the case considering the likes of Qwertee and Redbubble. Even Displate clearly have copyrighted stuff on there which puts me off buying from them.

I'd sell them. It's mad that old and worn clothing has some value but as soon as I wear a rare pair of Jordans once they're worth feck all!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Gradius wrote: »
    Sure one of the ones on auction has "pinholes" in it, in other words worn down big time.

I don't know anymore, it's like anything remotely cool from the 80's is crazy sought after. I used to think it was just a phase but it keeps going and going and going. It's like a multigenerational thing.

Mad, in an entertaining way :)

I tell you what, it's rather exciting when you're an attic full of ****e!

I'd love to know if the guys buying these things are still on a nostalgia trip or if we're now on to a new generation of well to do twenty somethings buying stuff genuinely because it's old.

Don't underestimate the madness of people to have 'an original' - apparently the fact that they have 'Fashion Victim' labels means something! :confused:

I tell you what, it's rather exciting when you're an attic full of ****e!

I'd love to know if the guys buying these things are still on a nostalgia trip or if we're now on to a new generation of well to do twenty somethings buying stuff genuinely because it's old.

Theres a few factors I suppose. First theres the nostalgia thing. Second, I'd say its that its physicality. The more things become virtual like streaming, downloads etc, the more value is put onto real things. Arcade games can be played within seconds on a mobile phone at zero cost. Or you can grab an actual cabinet that's gigantic, costs a bomb, takes up space, breaks down and is generally a pain in the arse. But its genuine. Its not a copy, that's where the value lies.

That's the main reason, in my opinion, that these things are going beyond the original people who would have actually played them when they came out. Same for other stuff too. I can think of a few examples that are weird to me, theres a bloke I know who collects VHS tapes. Massive collection, yet he's in his early twenties.

T-shirts is a new one to me, but it seems to be across the board with all sorts. I suppose if you think of peoples popular culture these days, childrens ages and up, theres less and less ownership and physical existence in their lives. Good or bad, I can see the trend continuing with value being put on actual existing "things", people wanting an attachment to reality as opposed to internet stuff.

And that's the real deal!

daviddickinson.jpg

Master of the Universe

RasTa wrote: »

HAHA that's literally exactly what I was going to do :D:D

I sold the bike one for $450 yesterday to the dude who originally brought to my attention that they were valuable, seems like a really nice chap and is fairly mad into his Akira stuff too, so thought I'd be nice.

Have my other one up for a sickening ridiculous amount of money. The Fashion Victim label on it makes it even more valuable than the ones currently up as they only have a Friut of the Loom label.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-vintage-Akira-Fashion-Victim-label-tshirt-Kaneda-and-Joker-Size-XL/124300206886

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

HAHA that's literally exactly what I was going to do :D:D

I sold the bike one for $450 yesterday to the dude who originally brought to my attention that they were valuable, seems like a really nice chap and is fairly mad into his Akira stuff too, so thought I'd be nice.

Have my other one up for a sickening ridiculous amount of money. The Fashion Victim label on it makes it even more valuable than the ones currently up as they only have a Friut of the Loom label.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-vintage-Akira-Fashion-Victim-label-tshirt-Kaneda-and-Joker-Size-XL/124300206886

Feck sake I had this about 10 years ago

https://www.ebay.com/p/710154455. Started in my fish tank then glued it to the back of my motorbike which got stolen.

I was watching lads on YouTube thrifting tshirts and selling them at 500 a pop. Seems kind of daft to me when you can get reprints. Maybe size 0 people can look good in tshirts all washed out but I'd look like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wondered if people did counterfeit old stuff. I remember seeing old concert t shirts going for big money.

There is a trade in large quantity "lots" of old unprinted t-shirts from decades ago which I reckon could be used for such fakes.

I wish I got get my mits on some old t-shirts. I have some which are worn a lot and have held up amazingly well over the years. Some Champion brand ones, I later got more champion ones which did not last pissing time. One I have is a "wild oats" brand which has held up amazingly well and was very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Buy a load of these, give them to some smelly teens for a few months....profit :)
    All joking aside, how can you spot a decent fake tshirt from the real deal?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000637136870.html?
    XfWi9QV.jpg

Master of the Universe

Labels seem to be the big thing. I guess even Chinese reproductions are probably done en masse on black shirts with generic labels.

Now if you were to specifically re-manufacture the label too I'm sure there's a point you couldn't tell the difference.

I suppose it's the same as counterfeit luxury goods, bags and clothes are pretty easy to bootleg, all depends how well they're put together in regards to it being caught or not.

Thank feck videogames and consoles are fairly complex items! Even if they're good reproductions trying to masquerade as originals, you can confirm fairly easily by popping the cart open.

The quality of knockoffs coming out of China now is pretty good. Years ago you'd spot a repro Rolex from across the room now they're doing really high quality copies.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The quality of knockoffs coming out of China now is pretty good. Years ago you'd spot a repro Rolex from across the room now they're doing really high quality copies.

Yeah the quality of Chinese knock off watches had come a long way alright. I've wanted an Omega Speedmaster for years and was pretty amazed when I came across some of their 500 euro copies.

I guess slave labour and no regard for copywrite will get you that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I spent 9 months in China working for a tech company in 2018-19. How they look at the world of copyright infringement would drive you crazy. It simple isn’t an issue for a lot of companies and it’s very hard to change that mindset. I’d go in to the office on any given day and they’d have new 3D printers or accessory from Europe/US to “gain inspiration from”.

I’ll say one thing for how they operate over there. They can take in a device that costs thousands in Europe and make something that works pretty much the same for a couple hundred. Not as good, but close enough for most people. They’ll remake the smallest and cheapest components to save 1 cent here and 5 cent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I spent 9 months in China working for a tech company in 2018-19. How they look at the world of copyright infringement would drive you crazy. It simple isn’t an issue for a lot of companies and it’s very hard to change that mindset. I’d go in to the office on any given day and they’d have new 3D printers or accessory from Europe/US to “gain inspiration from”.

I’ll say one thing for how they operate over there. They can take in a device that costs thousands in Europe and make something that works pretty much the same for a couple hundred. Not as good, but close enough for most people. They’ll remake the smallest and cheapest components to save 1 cent here and 5 cent there.

Blame the Communist system and its lack of individuality, In art class in school all the children are told to draw the same picture and use the same colours, they fail if they try to be creative. Not a great system for coming up with new ideas but great for copying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think my mind is going...

I could have sworn I owned Mechassault for the Xbox, along with it's sequel...

But, when Kerb asked for a loan of it, couldn't find it anywhere, took the cave apart and no sign at all, so ended up buying them again on Adverts.

Then, I opened the case of Outrun 2, also for the Xbox, to find it missing!

For sure, says I, there's a thief in my midst, someone is creeping into the house, up into the gamesroom, and stealing OG Xbox games!

In some state of distress and anger I went through every box, in case it was mistakenly placed in with Blinx or some other title, and of course checked the drive of the OG Xbox, which was no help either, only containing the Silent Scope Collection.

After ten minutes of this, I looked at the 360 tucked away in a corner, under a pile of cables... and sure enough there was Outrun 2, in the drive...

FFS!

But, I love her, I forgave her, and we will never be parted again...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Leaving discs in drives !!

My OCD is twitching.

Master of the Universe

'I think I'll play some Wipeout'

/Find Crash Bandicoot in Wipeout box'

'Ah, it must be in the Crash Bandicoot box'

/Finds Gran Turismo in Crash Bandicoot box'

'Ah, it must be in the Gran Turismo box'

/Finds Metal Gear Solid in Gran Turismo box'

'Ah, it must be in the Metal Gear Solid box'

-> Finally finds Wipeout.

WHAT MONSTER DID THIS?!?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

WHAT MONSTER DID THIS?!?!

*somber end of film monologue voice*
    It seems that humans were the real monsters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least you didn't find it in the Legend of Dragoon box meaning one of it's discs has gotten away into the wild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The R.A.G.E have reopened on Crow Street in Temple Bar.

https://www.facebook.com/186911071328729/posts/3455378491148621/

Advertisement