Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

How did I<insert name here> not know about this game?
    Takeshi's Challenge

Inviere wrote: »
    The whole thing is nuts. You can't buy the item here, so there's no/zero loss to revenue by buying it where you did. I just fundamentally disagree with such a charge (while yelling at a cloud).
    'The Man' would suggest if it was for sale in this state the same VAT bar the An Post Fee, would have been collected. When does the VAT rate go down to 21% again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought it was well known now.

The game centre CX episode about it was amazing. They had interviews with the developers and they talked about how Beat Takeshi would turn up to the studio drunk on whiskey talking about how much he hated videogames and giving them ideas for the game to piss off people that played videogames.

And in a strange way Takeshi's Challenge might just be the first avant garde videogame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Inviere

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    'The Man' would suggest if it was for sale in this state the same VAT bar the An Post Fee, would have been collected. When does the VAT rate go down to 21% again?

We can't roast you for buying it here because you can't buy it here....so we'll roast you anyway....bastards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Shout out to Japanese sellers marking stuff as $4 regardless of what you're buying. I'm strongly against taxing things that aren't sold here or are retro. Back in 2006/07 when the dollar was $1.35 sure, there was a big market on eBay for people getting iPods and such. Nowadays average Joe is happy to drop €1,000 on an iPhone and people wear €150 EarPods as a fashion statement, there's a bigger market for this stuff and online buying is mainstream now.

The only reason to buy outside the EU these days is if it's not sold here at all. Things aren't necessarily cheaper and combined with shipping rates you don't save anything a lot of the time. I can't speak for everyone but anything I've bought outside the EU, such as a hoody or a pair of runners, I've bought more of within the EU. It hasn't limited my purchasing of those items and I've continued to buy other stuff like games, clothes etc. If we didn't have vat and customs charges I could see people buying niche brands that aren't available here but I don't imagine it would be a big loss as most of what people want is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Shout out to Japanese sellers marking stuff as $4 regardless of what you're buying. I'm strongly against taxing things that aren't sold here or are retro. Back in 2006/07 when the dollar was $1.35 sure, there was a big market on eBay for people getting iPods and such. Nowadays average Joe is happy to drop €1,000 on an iPhone and people wear €150 EarPods as a fashion statement, there's a bigger market for this stuff and online buying is mainstream now.

The only reason to buy outside the EU these days is if it's not sold here at all. Things aren't necessarily cheaper and combined with shipping rates you don't save anything a lot of the time. I can't speak for everyone but anything I've bought outside the EU, such as a hoody or a pair of runners, I've bought more of within the EU. It hasn't limited my purchasing of those items and I've continued to buy other stuff like games, clothes etc. If we didn't have vat and customs charges I could see people buying niche brands that aren't available here but I don't imagine it would be a big loss as most of what people want is here.

I'd share that view. To play devil's advocate...I'd say it'd be an administrative nightmare if they were to selectively tax certain items, and would probably require a scope far beyond what An Post could ever provide. But yeah, on retro/second hand items it's a particularly salty fee. To whack a tenner onto €40 fee though, purely for the pleasure of collecting the fee...talk about a slap in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's the lack of consistency that actually annoys me most.

Over the years I think I've only paid import tax on one or two items, out of thousands.

What's the selection process? If they are making VAT at 23% of items coming from outside the EU, why aren't they doing this with ALL items? It doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I think the fact it was coming in from Ukraine probably flagged something as well. But I have got quite a few deliveries from Ukraine over the last few years, mostly everdrives.
    Still, with the amount that has sailed through untouched for me over the years I cant really feel that bad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Really-crap-diy. I wanted to replace the perspex on some marquees to get them as clean as possible. I was thinking about sandwiching the artwork and then glueing it together, but on second thoughts I just taped them together. That way they can be changed again if need be, plus the tape is hidden beneath brackets anyway.

I got a bunch of little mirrors in a pound shop, wondering if I could use them to enhance the fluorescent bulb. After checking a few times, yep, makes a good difference. I know I could throw in LED's, but I like to keep things as original as possible.

Tried to take some accurate pictures but the camera just can't handle such a bright light source, everything is darkened but it looks pretty great in real life.

IMG-20200730-173226-1.jpg

IMG-20200730-173339-2.jpg

IMG-20200730-174351-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ryu-hadouken-cheap-cosplay.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I think the fact it was coming in from Ukraine probably flagged something as well. But I have got quite a few deliveries from Ukraine over the last few years, mostly everdrives.
    Still, with the amount that has sailed through untouched for me over the years I cant really feel that bad about it.

Got my Everdrive pro a few days ago an did not pay customs for once, Happy about that as buying car parts they always get you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've managed to get an SD2SNES, Everdrive 64 and N8 Pro from the Ukraine over the past couple of years. No customs at all.

That said, they were all delivered to a business address so maybe they don't raise as much suspicion!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm always getting caught and seems to be on the most expensive stuff I bought. It still hurts after getting a good ebay win on Gimmick and then getting caught by customs and the final price + the customs being over the going price....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I get hit by customs so infrequently I figure it doesn't matter cos I'd get 10 other packages without it.

I like the idea of using fluorescents in a cabinet rather than LED. The quality of the light is sort of ugly but behind a marquee they look right. I'm a lighting engineer by trade and things like heritage fittings with LED components wreck my head. They're not one thing or the other. Not keen on LEDs on pinball tables either. LEDs (particularly cheap ones) are quite glarey and the tech still has some way to go in emulating the pleasant qualities of incandescent lighting, although it's hard to say if they'll continue to develop that as China pushes prices down to half nothing and any quality lights becomes uneconomical to manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I get hit by customs so infrequently I figure it doesn't matter cos I'd get 10 other packages without it.

I like the idea of using fluorescents in a cabinet rather than LED. The quality of the light is sort of ugly but behind a marquee they look right. I'm a lighting engineer by trade and things like heritage fittings with LED components wreck my head. They're not one thing or the other. Not keen on LEDs on pinball tables either. LEDs (particularly cheap ones) are quite glarey and the tech still has some way to go in emulating the pleasant qualities of incandescent lighting, although it's hard to say if they'll continue to develop that as China pushes prices down to half nothing and any quality lights becomes uneconomical to manufacture.

LEDS suit some pinballs and make others looks tack imo. My star Trek TNG looks great fully led but my theatre of magic looks so much better with traditional bulbs. I'd always use LEDs in the inserts though as they are under the playfield. One big plus is LEDs lowering the heat of the machine boards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ordered my son the Street Fighter one of these:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVSIf5x

Looks pretty cool on the listing, the tiny bricks can be a bit fiddly but usually make decent little models.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

The Sinden Lightgun got a huge boost in exposure:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye....looking good, but looking at an October delivery now (think its looking like Nov/Dec for new orders contributions right now)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Can anyone recommend a yahoo japan auction buying service? Have used buyee in the past with no issues but need to get some car parts ASAP and they won’t ship them with DHL. Sea mail only which will take too long

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Is there something up with forums last few days? I can see from the Marketplace preview from the main General Arcade & Retro forum that theres been a reply on my ads but when I go into the Marketplace it seems to show older posts so I can't see any new ones.

Edit: I see it seems to be a site wide issue.

Corholio wrote: »
    Is there something up with forums last few days? I can see from the Marketplace preview from the main General Arcade & Retro forum that theres been a reply on my ads but when I go into the Marketplace it seems to show older posts so I can't see any new ones.

Edit: I see it seems to be a site wide issue.

SQL errors is what I'm getting from time to time. The database is serving up old or cached pages. Refreshing the page a few times seems to work.

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is wondering what Krikzz/Everdrive.me store is putting on the value for their Mega Everdrive Pro customs form. 1600 UAH(just under €49).
    Might be useful if you get a call from the revenue asking about package values etc :)

VhkQkph.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just in case anyone is wondering what Krikzz/Everdrive.me store is putting on the value for their Mega Everdrive Pro customs form. 1600 UAH(just under €49).
    Might be useful if you get a call from the revenue asking about package values etc :)

VhkQkph.jpg

So customs was less than originally thought?

So customs was less than originally thought?

No, i still had to pay the €50 customs duty as I didn't know what they had put on the customs form until it arrived(I assumed they put the full price). This is just a heads up for others if they're ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No, i still had to pay the €50 customs duty as I didn't know what they had put on the customs form until it arrived(I assumed they put the full price). This is just a heads up for others if they're ordering.

Customs can be jackasses like that. I once had 2 packages from outside the EU, both under the LCG threshold, arrive gaffer taped together by customs with a fee attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Can anyone recommend a yahoo japan auction buying service? Have used buyee in the past with no issues but need to get some car parts ASAP and they won’t ship them with DHL. Sea mail only which will take too long
    Yeah I could only see sea mail online.
    There was some resumption in some countries but not good to you but maybe a good sign?
    https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0806_01_en.html

Master of the Universe

I went to burn off a few Dreamcast games there today and realised I don't actually have any devices left with a CD writer! When the feck did that happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

o1s1n wrote: »
    I went to burn off a few Dreamcast games there today and realised I don't actually have any devices left with a CD writer! When the feck did that happen??

Grab yourself a cheap usb bd writer, you can get one for about £60. You can use it as a multi region player with the appropriate software.

I actually started buying Dreamcast games again. Most of the non shooter games are ruined by their CD versions. Music has to be compressed and made mono and videos are compressed. But some releases were utterly destroyed trying to make them fit on a CD. The only version of Maken X as all the music removed and replaced with the one techno track that completely ruins the game. It has an amazing soundtrack by Shoji Meguro but the burned CD version will make you hate the game. Plenty of others as well that are butchered.

I'm hoping with the new SD card drive replacement coming that we start seeing full fat GD-ROM releases on to the scene and people don't just stick to the butchered CD releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

There is no problem getting complete gdi dumps now. Everything on my gdemu (clone) is gdi barring some cdi homebrew titles.

Life is too short to be tolerating bad rips these days....

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Problem with me buying actual Dreamcast games is the cases explode into a billion pieces the moment I look at them :(

Advertisement