Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless road - it actually works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

do people have saddle bags with stuff in it who run tubeless? I have just stans darts, Co2 & pump, have never had a problem, I would never get a tube in so my only saviour would be the darts but have never used them. ( The wheels have sealer in them) Curious if people have used stans darts

• Registered Users Posts: 25 frosty90

Can anyone recommend a tubeless tyre that works well with Mavic UST rims? For training... longevity more important than grip.

I've used the Yksion Pro and also the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance. Both were easy to set up but longevity was very poor.

I have GP5000TL on my carbon Prime RP50 racing wheels. Almost Impossible to seat on the rim despite using all the tricks. I've heard from numerous people that these are hard to seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

frosty90 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a tubeless tyre that works well with Mavic UST rims? For training... longevity more important than grip.

I've used the Yksion Pro and also the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance. Both were easy to set up but longevity was very poor.

I have GP5000TL on my carbon Prime RP50 racing wheels. Almost Impossible to seat on the rim despite using all the tricks. I've heard from numerous people that these are hard to seat.

conti are awful designed a tyre for tubeless compliance isn't right, personally like the mavic yksion 2nd one lasted quiet long, its only the gravel that seems to cut it up. the tubeless tyres are never going last as long as a clincher gp4000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Well... can support what is already said; GP5000 TL are disaster.. I have gone to Cosmic Pro UST Disc few weeks back and tried with GP5000TL and actually (unfortunately) damaged rim getting tyres on - was not as a result of force; was pure bad luck from frustration. Structurally the wheels are fine and I've put a few hundred miles on them... but I dread if I ever need to change on side of the road!!

Running them few weeks now and they do lose pressure over a few days (as I have read is common) but in general they roll well and are more comfy. Did an 90 miler yesterday and very happy with performance.. Thankfully no punctures!

Came from Kysrium Elite running Conti 4 Seasons - never a puncture in 2 years; don't know why I changed.. but guess we like change sometimes :)

There is a very good thread up on the TrainerRoad site all about GP5000 woes etc... but people keep buying them. Overall seem like a very nice tyre but a balls to fit on any rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Hi,
    Earlier tonight I noticed a bubble, thumbnail size on my rear wheel.
    Decided not to chance it and replaced it with tube/tyre.

Might see can I get a replacement from Mavic, despite being a year old, I'd say the tyre has barely 1,000km on it.

From what I've read, this bubbling is not caused by wear but a manufacturing fault.
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Found taking off the tyre, inserting a tube and reseating with non tubeless tyre very straightforward, given the horror stories I've heard about tubeless I was pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

S_D wrote: »
    do people have saddle bags with stuff in it who run tubeless? I have just stans darts, Co2 & pump, have never had a problem, I would never get a tube in so my only saviour would be the darts but have never used them. ( The wheels have sealer in them) Curious if people have used stans darts

I have the dynaplug one - only had to use it once but it worked a treat.

See a previous post of mne in answer to your first question:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113283513&postcount=354

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

I have the dynaplug one - only had to use it once but it worked a treat.

See a previous post of mne in answer to your first question:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113283513&postcount=354

good to know!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Despite losing about 2 bar every few days, I put the new wheel/tyre combo on the bike yesterday and went for a 70km spin today.

I'm really impressed with the added comfort - it wasn't something I was expecting. Previously I'd been using Conti GP5000 with latex tubes which I was happy with but the Vittoria tyres are so much more supple.

Early days but I'm happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hi,
    Earlier tonight I noticed a bubble, thumbnail size on my rear wheel.
    Decided not to chance it and replaced it with tube/tyre.

Might see can I get a replacement from Mavic, despite being a year old, I'd say the tyre has barely 1,000km on it.

From what I've read, this bubbling is not caused by wear but a manufacturing fault.
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Found taking off the tyre, inserting a tube and reseating with non tubeless tyre very straightforward, given the horror stories I've heard about tubeless I was pleasantly surprised.

That happened to me with three consecutive mavic tubeless tyres. Rear wheel bubbling, and not after many miles either. I eventually did as you did and went tube and tyre on the UST rims but the tyre was not easily mounted. Ended up walking a short ish (couple of k) distance home one evening after a long spin when my tired hands simply couldn't get a fresh tube in and the tyre back on.

I put on a set of Vitoria Zaffiro tyres, they were all I had lying around. They came off the stock wheels of that particular bike and had very little use.

They went on very easy, I hope they come off as easy. I might do the front one later to check.
    Went for 90km spin at the weekend and all went fine.

I bought the wheels from a German retailer and have sent them a few pics of the bubbled tyre and am waiting for a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I made the switch to tubeless last November and in my opinion of all the technically advances or upgrades that have been done or can be done this is without doubt one of the best
    I done just over 12000 km on two sets of wheels using Continental GP 5000 tyres with only one puncture and one rim strip fail
    which compared to 8 punctures in the last 2000 km using conti's 4 seasons is a joy to behold for me and has made feel that punctures may be thing of the past or at the very least infrequent

I think the GP5000 tyres are a super tyre with a very supple ride quality though I have gone from 23c to 25c so that might have helped as well
    The grip is fantastic and has allowed me to enter and exit out of corners with more speed than I would have normally been able to before
    Mileage wise obviously given that they would be classed as a race tyre don't last as long as the 4 seasons but give a respectable innings
    Of the 3 tyres I changed so far 2 rears 3700 & 3250 Km and 1 front at 5200 Km (the front was only changed due to a side wall puncture that wasn't sealing)
    I reckon when cycling in North Wicklow given that the roads are so bad 5.5k for the front and 3k for the rear is about all I can expect from these tyres
    On better roads I would expect nearly 7k from the front and a good 4k on the rear but of course it all depends on the type of riding your doing as well

My only one down side is fitting the tyres, for me they are nearly impossible to fit and I have at this stage given up carrying a spare tube because there isn't a hope in hell of me fixing a roadside puncture this way
    Instead I carry a Stans plug set but thankfully as of now I haven't had a puncture so not sure how that's going to work out for me
    The 3 tyres that were changed were brought to my mechanic and normally he can pop tyres on with his hands but not these, Zip ties and tyre levers were required and even then it wasn't easy change over

Whereas I found the Mavic Tyres pretty easy to take on and off the Mavic wheels I have. Hardly needed a tyre lever and I am usually hamfisted at most bike stuff.

The clinchers I have now put on the rim went on without too much fuss also.
    I know the Mavic tyres get a bad rep but before I realised my rear had a bubble in it they were faultless.
    I will likely stick with them if I take my clincher tyres off as I'd rather know that I can take my tyres on and off should the need arise than dread the thoughts of having to do it, and lets face it, one wet windy day,miles from home . .I will have to . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I made the switch to tubeless last November and in my opinion of all the technically advances or upgrades that have been done or can be done this is without doubt one of the best
    My only one down side is fitting the tyres, for me they are nearly impossible to fit and I have at this stage given up carrying a spare tube because there isn't a hope in hell of me fixing a roadside puncture

Sorry, but for me those two statements are incompatible and the very reason why I bailed out of tubeless tyre use.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

fat bloke wrote: »
    Sorry, but for me those two statements are incompatible and the very reason why I bailed out of tubeless tyre use.

I would agree with you somewhat, If I had known how hard it was to mount the GP5000s I might have chosen a different tyre or even just stuck with tubes
    but I should stress and apologise for not making it clearer that I was mainly referring to mounting new tyres

When we did a sealant change the tyres were a lot easier to mount compared to new ones, I presume this is because they have "stretched" somewhat

The two times that I had issues were the rim tape and a puncture and both times the sealant was doing its job so there was no need for me to remove the tyre till I got home

I can only hope maybe naively that the tyres that I bought had a manufacturing defect in terms of sizing and that future ones might be a little easier to mount, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What is the consensus on best tires at the moment? I've a Cadex set that I'm going to change, have Schwalbe Pro Ones on another bike and they are fine so far, don't want to go for GP5000s. I see some Pirellis getting good reviews but not sure how much of this is just marketing

I'm trying to mount tubeless for the first time today...going as bad as I expected.

My bike is already tubeless but the stock Cadex tire needs repairing after 300km, so I'm trying to fit Schwalbe Pro Ones.

I have a tubeless pump, and have tried any tricks on the internet like soap and water, putting in sealant, removing valve core etc. Don't have a tube to fit that.

Tires went on and off ok. When I try to inflate using the tubeless chamber, it does inflate but air escapes from one part of the tire, just between the bead and the rim. It isn't seating correctly, almost sort of half seating. You can tell by the look of the tire that it isn't seated correctly as there is a small indicator line.

Anything else I can try, beyond swearing more loudly?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I'm trying to mount tubeless for the first time today...going as bad as I expected.

My bike is already tubeless but the stock Cadex tire needs repairing after 300km, so I'm trying to fit Schwalbe Pro Ones.

I have a tubeless pump, and have tried any tricks on the internet like soap and water, putting in sealant, removing valve core etc. Don't have a tube to fit that.

Tires went on and off ok. When I try to inflate using the tubeless chamber, it does inflate but air escapes from one part of the tire, just between the bead and the rim. It isn't seating correctly, almost sort of half seating. You can tell by the look of the tire that it isn't seated correctly as there is a small indicator line.

Put a tube in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Just to be sure, ensure the valve lock ring is tight and nothing escaping there. When the valve has been a problem for me before I thought air was leaking in various places around the rim. Getting the valve area sorted worked

Thanks for the replies - it doesn't seem to be the valve lock ring. I can pump up the tire and it even held air overnight but once it goes above 60psi or so, sealant just starts spitting out where the bead meets the rim, and you can tell from the logo that the side of the tire opposite the valve just isn't sitting correctly on both sides of the rim (the Schwalbe logo isn't even visible correctly).

I only quickly cleaned off the old sealant on first inflation so I wonder is some old sealant stopping the bead sealing against the rim. Other than that my only theories are rim tape damaged, or worst case scenario I've damaged the bead with a tire lever when installing.

I'll try a tube this evening I think

Thanks for the replies - it doesn't seem to be the valve lock ring. I can pump up the tire and it even held air overnight but once it goes above 60psi or so, sealant just starts spitting out where the bead meets the rim, and you can tell from the logo that the side of the tire opposite the valve just isn't sitting correctly on both sides of the rim (the Schwalbe logo isn't even visible correctly).

I only quickly cleaned off the old sealant on first inflation so I wonder is some old sealant stopping the bead sealing against the rim. Other than that my only theories are rim tape damaged, or worst case scenario I've damaged the bead with a tire lever when installing.

I'll try a tube this evening I think

With my latest tire I hadn't cleaned the rim properly and sealant was bubbling out. It did eventually stop but I do find that over the course of 24 hrs, pressure drops from 80 to 60 and then seems to stabilise at that level. Doesn't bother me as I'll train at 60 and always pump before a race or club spin

• Advertisement

Can anyone help me here? This is with a tube in - but it looks exactly the same as it did on my very first go of mounting it tubeless with a tubeless pump.

You can see from the last photo that it looks to be seated perfectly fine by the valve and the rest of the way around, but at the logo on the other side (both sides of rim) it is clearly not seating correctly, even with the tube. There is an indicator line to show where it should sit but that doesn't show at the logo opposite the valve side.

Rim only has 350km and hasn't been crashed or hit a pothole etc, rim tape looks perfect too.

https://imgur.com/a/KvibtvT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

What sort of pressure are you at? Keep pumping until it seats properly. Little bit of soapy water might help.

Plastik wrote: »
    What sort of pressure are you at? Keep pumping until it seats properly. Little bit of soapy water might help.
    I've tried 160psi from a tubeless pump and even that won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

i had the same with a schwalbe and I sent it back.

If another tire fits on fine it's a duff tire. If the second tire doesn't seat in the same place it's a bad rim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

this is why i'm big fan of Mavic UST, with their approved rules no faf, wheel pops on after few pumps and little faff.

manafana wrote: »
    this is why i'm big fan of Mavic UST, with their approved rules no faf, wheel pops on after few pumps and little faff.

Have to agree, found taking the tyres on and off very straightforward.
    My only issue was getting a bubble/blister on the rear tyre. The shop gave me a replacement. It seems to be a fault/problem with Mavics own tyres, pity as otherwise I found them very good.

While I was waiting on the new tyre I put on clinchers and tubes and they went on surprisingly easy too.

Can anyone help me here? This is with a tube in - but it looks exactly the same as it did on my very first go of mounting it tubeless with a tubeless pump.

You can see from the last photo that it looks to be seated perfectly fine by the valve and the rest of the way around, but at the logo on the other side (both sides of rim) it is clearly not seating correctly, even with the tube. There is an indicator line to show where it should sit but that doesn't show at the logo opposite the valve side.

Rim only has 350km and hasn't been crashed or hit a pothole etc, rim tape looks perfect too.

https://imgur.com/a/KvibtvT
    Got it on eventually (with tube) by pushing at the bead and going beyond 160psi. Was waiting for tube to pop tbh. Will try to unseat one side, remove or even cut out the tube, and keep it on tubeless once I build back up my stores of patience

Got it on eventually (with tube) by pushing at the bead and going beyond 160psi. Was waiting for tube to pop tbh. Will try to unseat one side, remove or even cut out the tube, and keep it on tubeless once I build back up my stores of patience

I'm finally sorted (I hope). Left it in with the tube for two days (for patience not any technical reasons), unseated one side, soapy water, one side back on (wasn't the easiest), , valve back in, tubeless pump, seated first go, removed valve core, sealant, tubeless pump again, seems to be seated and holding air.

Now I just have to do the rear - the front tire would have needed a repair anyway as it got a puncture that wasn't sealing. I'll have to live with non matched tires for a few days

• Advertisement

Wouldn't worry about the non matching.

BTW anybody else running

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-corsa-speed-g-tubeless-ready-tyre-graphene

I've only had the corsa on a few weeks but I'm already seeing spots in several places on it. It wears way quickly than the Schwalbe Pro One which itself is not considered long lasting.

Advertisement