Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Red Belly wrote: »
    Whatever was wrong seems to be ok now. Managed to register at 5:30pm on Sunday.

rb
    Thanks for that rb, just after successfully registering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    Clearlier wrote: »
    Anybody ever run a marathon by heart rate?
    Send a pm to Gringo78. He's run a couple of marathons by heart rate at this stage. He's not running DCM so probably won;t visit this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

It's a good point TFB and it certainly confused me a bit towards the start of my training when I couldn't hit the heart rate zones I thought that I should have been hitting (MHR of 194 being based on a race). I've since kept an eye on my heart rate in both races and training so I have some idea of the impact of a race on HR (it's about 5 - 8 bpm). Given that it's my first one I'm thinking that a cautious start that has me no higher than 150 which is about 77%MHR and a pace of 7:xx to halfway followed by a gradual controlled increase in effort might be the best way to go. Not sure what I'll do if I find that 150HR has me at 8:xxicon7.gif

I usually do my marathons by HR and I find it great. I stay just under 80% my max is 194b and my resting is about 50ish. So my 75% WHR is 157 and my 80% is 164. I know that if I stay at the 80% range give or take a bit more for hills or a spurt that I will manage to run the lot. If I am comforatbale I often push the last 4-6 miles up to 85% and all the way as much as I can.
    If I start and do lots of pace at 85% effort I end up having to take walk breaks after 21 miles until it comes back down and then I can run again but at slower pace.
    , Im NOT speedy. 4.10ish finish but Its the most reliable thing I know will get me to the finish line with the tank just about empty

Anybody ever run a marathon by heart rate?

I've been working off a max heart rate of 194 which I measured at the end of a 10k about 6 months ago where I threw the kitchen sink at it for the last mile. I was thinking of doing the following:

<=150 for the first 10km
    <=155 for 10km - 20km
    <=160 for 20km - 30km
    <=165 for 30km - 40km
    and if I'm not dead let it do whatever it wants for the last couple of kms.

The zones I'm talking about would be maximums and I'd be aiming to let it gradually drift up whilst hopefully maintaining a relatively steady pace. The allowance for the HR drift is because with no runs above 15m except for two 20m runs (and possibly one 18 - 20 on Monday) I'm going to lack endurance. Overall I've averaged about 35 - 40 miles a week with the exception of two weeks at the beginning of August where I ran just twice but it has been up and down since August.

As I write this I'm wondering if perhaps I shouldn't be looking at doing a longer stretch at the lower heart rates say:

<=150 to halfway
    <=155 to 18 miles
    <=160 to 23 miles
    <=165 to the end

Anyway, just wondering if anybody has any experience of approaching a marathon like this? If it wasn't my first one I'd probably not be running it given my preparation but it is my first and I'd like to set myself a target to knock over in the spring.

I doubt it's relevant but I'm guessing that I'll finish somewhere between 3:15 and 3:30.

I think you are being overly cautious with your targets. Too low. At 150 you are still in the very low effort and buring mostly fat and barely any glycogen. At this effort you could probably run 26-30 miles today . the legs would be achey but they would be fine the next day. You CAN cope with a higher rate and still not burn out. At a very conservative effort 75% is guaranted manageable. I put money on it. As you get further on past the half let it drift up a bit and by the time you get into the last 10k you can afford to let it ride higher again . The legs will feel achey - but that feeling doesnt get worse and you can still run and even up the pace a tad without them buckling and objecting .
    It will take a few miles for the heart rate to get going so use your pace as a guide for the first few miles and then keep an eye on your HR for the rest of your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

4 stars (good)
    Time|Name|Comments|Actual
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    Sub 2:35|Heffsarmy|Anything faster will be a bonus, first time running Dublin
    Sub 2:45|Tunguska|Beat last years time
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2.55|pablot|3.01min in dub last year. its funny how the brain gets tired and you forget about that little point 2 of a mile at the end and cant figure where the sub 3 went:)|
    2.55|Timmaay|1st Marathon, and I'm only just back from breaking my shoulderblade so this will be fun!
    2:59:59|Elfoyzer|3:29 p.b (2008) but disappointing DCM last year following IM Switzerland, just know I can run better than that!
    2:59:59|Bloody Nipples|4th Marathon, ran 3:15 in Cork, hopefully knock 15-20 mins off by increasing the mileage|
    2:59:xx|donothoponpop|Third (time lucky) Dublin, will hold onto the pace group for as long as I can!|
    2:59:xx|misty floyd|2nd Dublin, last year was a disaster. 3:00:30 in April in Rotterdam but gone down hill hard since then. 12 weeks to get back to fitness and a little fitter again ;). 100% effort|

Sub 3.15|||
    3.03|earlyevening|Just want to edge a little better than last year's 3:07|
    3:14:59| Bart simpson|2nd marathon, PB is 3:29:14 in DCM09
    3:14:59|NeedsTraining|6th marathon, first Dublin. Would like to break 3:10 but don't think it is possible for me this year|
    3:14:59 | figs | 3rd Marathon. 2nd DCM. Hit wall at 20 on both previous occasions. Business to finish this year. |
    3:15|Condo131|20th Marathon, 1st since Dub '03. Hope to make Boston M55 (3:45) May adjust target down|
    3:15|MaroonTam|1st Marathon. Its a Push but training for it (might end up 3:20)|
    3:15 |Potsy11 |5 Marathon. Ran 3.27 last year. Got onto training a bit late so hope to be in better condition|
    3:14:50|Krusty_Clown|3:15 Pacer (Provisional - pending approval and non-injury)
    3:14:50|Rebelrunner|4th marathon & would be delighted to break ambitious 3.15.
    3:14:50|ronanmac|An ambitious jump from last year's 3:55 but if McMillan says it can be done :D. Training for 3:10 so as to be able to run 3:15 without too much of a fade at the end
    3:14:49|robinph|I know I can run faster, but I know I'll not have trained enough. Plan is to just follow the clown to stop me going off too fast and then leave him for dust in the latter stages. Hopefully|
    3.15|pgmcpq|A bit of a stretch target (3.47 earlier this year), was thinking 3.20 ...but training/results have gone well.
    Sub 3:30|||
    3.19.59|Diggy78|Might be ambitious trying to shave 5 mins off last year but why try to break 3:22, :)|
    3:27:29 |Sharktale | 9th Marathon, Ran 3:45 Barcelona '10, Hoping for the best |
    3:29:59 |Jackyback | 2nd Marathon, looking to shave 26 minutes off my Cork time from earlier in the year|
    3:29:59 |Cartman78 | 4th Marathon, Ran 3:45 in GLR in May taking it very easy. Hoping that more mileage + more effort on the day = Sub 3:30|
    sub 3:30|SUNGOD| after over 12 months of injuries i just need a target race
    3:29:59|Plodder|5th marathon, previous best 3:53. Training harder now
    3:29:59|Mr Marenghi|2nd Dublin marathon, training a lot harder and i think a bit more intelligently, would love to go sub 3.30
    3:29:59|menoscemo| 2nd DCM 4:15 to 3:30 is a big ask but training is much better. Hope to beat the course this time.|
    3:29:59|Peckham| Hopefully will be doing the 3:30 pace group, so looking forward to cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)|
    3:29:59|TFBubendorfer| Hopefully will be the other quarter of the same pace group and looking forward to seeing Peckham cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)||||
    3:29:59|RedB|3rd DCM. 4:50 last year but ran 3:58 in GLR and hope to increase the mileage and intensity. In for a penny......|
    3:29:59|LeCheile| Yet another pacer:)|
    3:29:59|Almac06|2nd Dublin, ran 3:58 last year and am hoping to break 3:30 this year - May need a jockey-back for the last fewsmile.gif|
    Sub 3:45|||
    3.3x|BrokenMan|First time out and its probably ambitious.Going to go for it anyway|
    3.3x|Moycullen1|12th Marathon, anything under 3:40 would be a PB|
    3.40|Doledude86|2nd Dublin Marathon went 3:56 last year would like to go 3:40 this year|
    3:4X|sarsfieldsrock|Be the best I can!|
    3:44:59| Louthandproud| Setting an ambitious target after finishing in 4:12 last year, feel I can achieve if I get the training done |
    3:45|itsalltrue|there we go|
    3:45|Tipp man running|Injury permitting hope to break this time for the first time:)|
    3:45|Aimman|And I'm blaming Oisin if I don't, cos he's giving me a jockey back!|
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3.55|RayCun|First time out, so not too ambitious (I hope)|
    3.59.59|Hawkwing|3rd marathon, 3rd Dublin, sub-4 or die trying :o|
    3:50|digger2d2|First and maybe last so definitely need to break 4 hrs|
    3.55|curraghyid|first marathon but i reckon acheivable withthe right training|
    3.59|ElectraX|first marathon so thats my dream time|
    3.59|RubyK| a first-timer, 3.59.59 would make my year ;)|
    3.59|ROFno1| First-timer as well so 3.59.59 would be great. But just to finish will be a great achievement|
    3.59|MitreSize5|First marathon, would be delighted with anything under 4
    3.59|opus|Running with a friend to provide moral support, will try to get us round in under 4|
    3:59|shotgunmcos| Pacer. Will be crossing the line in 3:59 (chip not clock) folks so either finish with us or sprint ahead of us in the last mile to get your sub 4 ;)|
    3:59|christeb| Pacer. Shoe-horning myself in here with the legend that is shotgunMCOS, looking forward to meeting (and verbally abusing) you all on the day :)|
    3:59|mfdc| 2nd time, just want to run to the end really; blew up very badly last year. |
    3:59|neilc|2nd DCM, foolishly ran injured last year and bombed. Everything going great this year, fingers crossed. Secretly hoping for 3.45 but would be delighted to do sub 4.|
    Sub 4.30|||
    4.29:59|Brophya2007|First Marathon all going well, Sub 4:30 would be nice|
    4.29:30|Izoard|Pacer - Even-split marathon will be a result:)|
    4.29.59|Blueskye|Died an absolute death at DCM last year so would be very happy with 4.29
    4.29.59|Red Belly|1st marathon. Finish would be good. Sub 4:30 would be great|
    4.2?:??|Racheljev|Crap time last year so want a 4 something time this year!|
    4:15:00|rovers_runner|Halfway between my "potential" from 5k/10k and my most recent time|
    4:15:00|hot to trot|
    4:20|ilovetorun|I would be delighted with myself if I got in sub 4.30 and even more delighted if I got in ahead of 4.20 |
    4.24.55|Rainbow Kirby|2nd marathon, 2nd Dublin - training has sucked, faster than last year would be nice.|
    4.20.00|jcsmum|1st timer, so would be thrilled to run the whole route|
    Going for a Finish|||
    4:30 to 5:00|Meathcountysec|First Only Marathon ever, just want to run all the way|
    N/A|munsterbear|first marathon and just aiming to finish
    N/A|Puck|First marathon, I don't care about time.
    4.40|littlebug|just want to enjoy it and not kill myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    trats wrote: »
    When will we get the first "I've been training for the last 6 months but...."

Got to be a pisstake, but on the marathon Facebook page there was a comment at 18.50

hi i was just wondering if ders any way registering at all after da closing date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

3 stars (average)
    I think you are being overly cautious with your targets. Too low. At 150 you are still in the very low effort and buring mostly fat and barely any glycogen. At this effort you could probably run 26-30 miles today . the legs would be achey but they would be fine the next day. You CAN cope with a higher rate and still not burn out. At a very conservative effort 75% is guaranted manageable. I put money on it. As you get further on past the half let it drift up a bit and by the time you get into the last 10k you can afford to let it ride higher again . The legs will feel achey - but that feeling doesnt get worse and you can still run and even up the pace a tad without them buckling and objecting .
    It will take a few miles for the heart rate to get going so use your pace as a guide for the first few miles and then keep an eye on your HR for the rest of your journey.

Thanks for your thoughts hot to trot. When you say 75% do you mean 75% of maximum heart rate or some other measure (because 150 is 77% of my MHR).

3 stars (average)
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2.55|pablot|3.01min in dub last year. its funny how the brain gets tired and you forget about that little point 2 of a mile at the end and cant figure where the sub 3 went:)|
    2.55|Timmaay|1st Marathon, and I'm only just back from breaking my shoulderblade so this will be fun!
    2:59:59|Elfoyzer|3:29 p.b (2008) but disappointing DCM last year following IM Switzerland, just know I can run better than that!
    2:59:59|Bloody Nipples|4th Marathon, ran 3:15 in Cork, hopefully knock 15-20 mins off by increasing the mileage|
    2:59:xx|donothoponpop|Third (time lucky) Dublin, will hold onto the pace group for as long as I can!|
    2:59:xx|misty floyd|2nd Dublin, last year was a disaster. 3:00:30 in April in Rotterdam but gone down hill hard since then. 12 weeks to get back to fitness and a little fitter again ;). 100% effort|

Sub 3.15|||
    3:14:59|NeedsTraining|6th marathon, first Dublin. Would like to break 3:10 but don't think it is possible for me this year|
    3:14:59 | figs | 3rd Marathon. 2nd DCM. Hit wall at 20 on both previous occasions. Business to finish this year. |
    3:15|Condo131|20th Marathon, 1st since Dub '03. Hope to make Boston M55 (3:45) May adjust target down|
    3:15|MaroonTam|1st Marathon. Its a Push but training for it (might end up 3:20)|
    3:15 |Potsy11 |5 Marathon. Ran 3.27 last year. Got onto training a bit late so hope to be in better condition|
    3:14:50|ronanmac|An ambitious jump from last year's 3:55 but if McMillan says it can be done :D. Training for 3:10 so as to be able to run 3:15 without too much of a fade at the end
    3:14:49|robinph|I know I can run faster, but I know I'll not have trained enough. Plan is to just follow the clown to stop me going off too fast and then leave him for dust in the latter stages. Hopefully|
    3.15|pgmcpq|A bit of a stretch target (3.47 earlier this year), was thinking 3.20 ...but training/results have gone well.
    3.19.59|Diggy78|Might be ambitious trying to shave 5 mins off last year but why try to break 3:22, :)|
    3:25:00 |Clearlier | 1st Marathon, Planning to run by heart rate, not enough miles to properly go for it |
    3:27:29 |Sharktale | 9th Marathon, Ran 3:45 Barcelona '10, Hoping for the best |
    3:29:59 |Jackyback | 2nd Marathon, looking to shave 26 minutes off my Cork time from earlier in the year|
    3:29:59 |Cartman78 | 4th Marathon, Ran 3:45 in GLR in May taking it very easy. Hoping that more mileage + more effort on the day = Sub 3:30|
    3:29:59|Mr Marenghi|2nd Dublin marathon, training a lot harder and i think a bit more intelligently, would love to go sub 3.30
    3:29:59|menoscemo| 2nd DCM 4:15 to 3:30 is a big ask but training is much better. Hope to beat the course this time.|
    3:29:59|Peckham| Hopefully will be doing the 3:30 pace group, so looking forward to cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)|
    3:29:59|TFBubendorfer| Hopefully will be the other quarter of the same pace group and looking forward to seeing Peckham cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)||||
    3:29:59|RedB|3rd DCM. 4:50 last year but ran 3:58 in GLR and hope to increase the mileage and intensity. In for a penny......|
    3:29:59|LeCheile| Yet another pacer:)|
    3:29:59|Almac06|2nd Dublin, ran 3:58 last year and am hoping to break 3:30 this year - May need a jockey-back for the last fewsmile.gif|
    3.3x|BrokenMan|First time out and its probably ambitious.Going to go for it anyway|
    3.40|Doledude86|2nd Dublin Marathon went 3:56 last year would like to go 3:40 this year|
    3:44:59| Louthandproud| Setting an ambitious target after finishing in 4:12 last year, feel I can achieve if I get the training done |
    3:45|Tipp man running|Injury permitting hope to break this time for the first time:)|
    3:45|Aimman|And I'm blaming Oisin if I don't, cos he's giving me a jockey back!|
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3.59.59|Hawkwing|3rd marathon, 3rd Dublin, sub-4 or die trying :o|
    3.59|RubyK| a first-timer, 3.59.59 would make my year ;)|
    3.59|ROFno1| First-timer as well so 3.59.59 would be great. But just to finish will be a great achievement|
    3.59|opus|Running with a friend to provide moral support, will try to get us round in under 4|
    3:59|shotgunmcos| Pacer. Will be crossing the line in 3:59 (chip not clock) folks so either finish with us or sprint ahead of us in the last mile to get your sub 4 ;)|
    3:59|christeb| Pacer. Shoe-horning myself in here with the legend that is shotgunMCOS, looking forward to meeting (and verbally abusing) you all on the day :)|
    3:59|mfdc| 2nd time, just want to run to the end really; blew up very badly last year. |
    3:59|neilc|2nd DCM, foolishly ran injured last year and bombed. Everything going great this year, fingers crossed. Secretly hoping for 3.45 but would be delighted to do sub 4.|
    Sub 4.30|||
    4.29:30|Izoard|Pacer - Even-split marathon will be a result:)|
    4.29.59|Blueskye|Died an absolute death at DCM last year so would be very happy with 4.29
    4:15:00|rovers_runner|Halfway between my "potential" from 5k/10k and my most recent time|
    4:20|ilovetorun|I would be delighted with myself if I got in sub 4.30 and even more delighted if I got in ahead of 4.20 |
    4.24.55|Rainbow Kirby|2nd marathon, 2nd Dublin - training has sucked, faster than last year would be nice.|
    Going for a Finish|||
    4:30 to 5:00|Meathcountysec|First Only Marathon ever, just want to run all the way|

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Hi,

I am looking to complete my first marathon at the DCM and I am aiming for a sub 4 finish.Just wondering if you would recommend one more long run before the main event.
    I completed a 3/4 marathon in Athlone yesterday in 3:06, but id imagine its alot tougher course than Dublin...it was very hilly!!!
    But don't feel to bad today thankfully!!
    Anyroad , I ran 19 miles last wkend and this wkend and I ma tempted to do one more this wkend coming...as I 'd like to prepared as best as i can in the event of hitting the dreaded wall on the big day...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

pdiddyw wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to complete my first marathon at the DCM and I am aiming for a sub 4 finish.Just wondering if you would recommend one more long run before the main event.
    I completed a 3/4 marathon in Athlone yesterday in 3:06, but id imagine its alot tougher course than Dublin...it was very hilly!!!
    But don't feel to bad today thankfully!!
    Anyroad , I ran 19 miles last wkend and this wkend and I ma tempted to do one more this wkend coming...as I 'd like to prepared as best as i can in the event of hitting the dreaded wall on the big day...

Thanks

The general advice would be to do a three week taper. The hard work is done now, and those two long runs will stand to you on the day. Your body needs time to recover from the hard work you've been putting it through so it's time to ease the mileage off while keeping the intensity the same... Are you following a plan? Check out the Hal Higdon plans to see the what kind of mileage you should be doing now...

4 stars (good)
    It's taper time! Time to start reducing your weekly mileage. At this point you're not going to increase your level of fitness, you just want to maintain your current level, while giving your body a chance to recover from the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

RayCun wrote: »
    Time to start reducing your weekly mileage.

Reduce it from my grand total of 4 miles last week? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Peckham wrote: »
    Reduce it from my grand total of 4 miles last week? ;)

I've done nothing in the last week since doing a 19 miler on the 26th. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Great , thanks fo the advice, I'm very tempted to do a 20/21 mile run again but will listen to the experts on this one and hold off!!and do taper work.....hopefully will have enough in the tank on the day but sure i will..cheers and will check out the Hal Higdon plan

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

If anyone is starting to feel a bit anxious about the taper or frustrated about the sudden fall off in miles etc. This article is definitely worth a read to let you know we are all in the same boat, and its normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    Aimman wrote: »
    If anyone is starting to feel a bit anxious about the taper or frustrated about the sudden fall off in miles etc.

Yes, I'm definitely frustrated. I haven't done a long run in 4 weeks and 3 days. I just don't think that article is going to help me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Useful article, I always find the carbs/weight thing a problem in the last two weeks.
    This year I've finally got a diet under control so am going to be strict with that and aim to get to the start line as light as possible without going hungry.

Surely the only day to really go high carb is an evening or two before the race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yes, I'm definitely frustrated. I haven't done a long run in 4 weeks and 3 days. I just don't think that article is going to help me.

I think I'm the same as you, I havent gone above 15M since Dingle and that was a couple of weeks ago. You're better off ignoring the article, getting the urge to keep up the long runs when in fact, you havent done any, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

|||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2.55|pablot|3.01min in dub last year. its funny how the brain gets tired and you forget about that little point 2 of a mile at the end and cant figure where the sub 3 wentsmile.gif|
    2:59:xx|misty floyd|2nd Dublin, last year was a disaster. 3:00:30 in April in Rotterdam but gone down hill hard since then. 12 weeks to get back to fitness and a little fitter again wink.gif. 100% effort|

Sub 3.15|||
    3:14:50|ronanmac|An ambitious jump from last year's 3:55 but if McMillan says it can be done biggrin.gif. Training for 3:10 so as to be able to run 3:15 without too much of a fade at the end
    3:14:59|Badbark| Hoping to break 3:15 for a GFA entry into London 2012. My current PB is 3:26:45|
    3.19.59|Diggy78|Might be ambitious trying to shave 5 mins off last year but why try to break 3:22, smile.gif|
    3:25:00 |Clearlier | 1st Marathon, Planning to run by heart rate, not enough miles to properly go for it |
    3:29:59|Peckham| Hopefully will be doing the 3:30 pace group, so looking forward to cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD wink.gif|
    3:29:59|TFBubendorfer| Hopefully will be the other quarter of the same pace group and looking forward to seeing Peckham cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD wink.gif||||
    3:29:59|LeCheile| Yet another pacersmile.gif|
    3:45|Tipp man running|Injury permitting hope to break this time for the first timesmile.gif|
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3.59.59|Hawkwing|3rd marathon, 3rd Dublin, sub-4 or die trying redface.gif|
    3.59|RubyK| a first-timer, 3.59.59 would make my year wink.gif|
    3:59|shotgunmcos| Pacer. Will be crossing the line in 3:59 (chip not clock) folks so either finish with us or sprint ahead of us in the last mile to get your sub 4 wink.gif|
    3:59|christeb| Pacer. Shoe-horning myself in here with the legend that is shotgunMCOS, looking forward to meeting (and verbally abusing) you all on the day smile.gif|
    Sub 4.30|||
    4.29:30|Izoard|Pacer - Even-split marathon will be a resultsmile.gif|
    Going for a Finish|||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭thedeal

Can anybody share the tapering they will be doing over the next 2 weeks.

Just want to get an idea of what people are doing and if I am doing likewise.
    This is my first DCM and looking for a sub 4:00. Did the Athlone 3/4 on Sunday.. hilly very hilly but completed it in 2.46 so happy with that and still had a good bit in me at the end so if all goes well I am on course for sub 4 i hope!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    thedeal wrote: »

Last week - 5 easy Tuesday and Thursday, 8 at marathon pace on Wednesday, 20 LSR on Saturday (38 miles)
    This week - 5 easy Tuesday and Thursday, 5 at marathon pace on Wednesday, 14 LSR on Saturday (29 miles)
    Next week - 4 easy Tuesday and Thursday, 4 at marathon pace on Wednesday, 8 LSR on Saturday (20 miles)
    Final week - 3 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, all easy with probably a few strides thrown in (9 miles)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

thedeal wrote: »
    Last week - 15 miles MP, 6 including 4 tempo, 5 easy, 22 miles including last 6 at MP and 6 easy with 10 x strides

This week – 13 miles MP, 5 easy, 6 including 6 x 800 10k pace, 17 easy and 6 easy
    Next week – 6 miles MP, 5 easy, 8 including 4 x 1 mile at 10 pace, 6 easy and 13 easy
    Final week – 6 easy, 5 including 3x 1 mile at 10k pace, 4 miles easy with 6 x strides and 2 easy

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

4 stars (good)
    Can anyone tell me what the difference between strides and marathon pace is? I thought these were the same thing?

4 stars (good)
    Bez Bing wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the difference between strides and marathon pace is? I thought these were the same thing?

Strides are short bursts of speed, about 15 seconds of running at about 80% effort. During the strides you be going much faster than marathon pace, but they don't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Different people have different ideas of what strides are. Personally speaking I think strides are controlled bursts of between 50 and 100m at roughly 400m pace. The important thing is that you don't need a recovery period after each rep. You should be able to go back to jogging between each one.

EDIT: Just spotted RayCuns post. Sorry for the repetition!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

4 stars (good)
    Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Different people have different ideas of what strides are. Personally speaking I think strides are controlled bursts of between 50 and 100m at roughly 400m pace. The important thing is that you don't need a recovery period after each rep. You should be able to go back to jogging between each one.

EDIT: Just spotted RayCuns post. Sorry for the repetition!!

So mini fartleks?

4 stars (good)
    Bez Bing wrote: »
    So mini fartleks?

Yeah, pretty much. The idea is the same, to run short periods at a faster pace than you could sustain for a long period.

3 stars (average)
    Running form is also very important when running strides or fartleks, and the runner should focus on proper running form when performing either of these exercises. It's not about running fast, it's about accelerating to target pace with good form and maintaining that form right through the stride/fartlek until you return to standard pace. So I have read anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

FWIW, i have found a good way to get quality strides done is to run diagonals on the local GAA / Soccer pitch...so run the diagonal and then jog the short side for recovery and then run the opposite diagonal again.

Then if i have to do 8 / 10, I take them in pairs and use each pair to focus on different elements of running form...so pair one is relaxed head / shoulders, pair two is relaxed arms / three is core / hip and four is light / quick feet - then the final one would be trying to put all the elements together.

3 stars (average)
    asimonov wrote: »
    FWIW, i have found a good way to get quality strides done is to run diagonals on the local GAA / Soccer pitch...so run the diagonal and then jog the short side for recovery and then run the opposite diagonal again.

Then if i have to do 8 / 10, I take them in pairs and use each pair to focus on different elements of running form...so pair one is relaxed head / shoulders, pair two is relaxed arms / three is core / hip and four is light / quick feet - then the final one would be trying to put all the elements together.
    Just for completeness: The average diagonal of a GAA pitch is about 159m, while the typical soccer pitch diagonal length would be 125m. Great strategy Asimonov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

4 stars (good)
    Hey all,
    Two quick questions about the big day..
    The gf is coming along to support, I'd love to meet her when the going gets tough, anywhere from 21-24, and near the finish, is there any public transport where she could go from around there back to the finish line before I get there? Luas would be the only option I'm guessing. (I've seen people mention bikes, but that wouldn't suit as she doesn't know the place).
    Also, can anyone recommend a place to meet her once it's all done? She should be around the finish line anyway but afterwards you're herded through a big area and it's easy enough to get lost.
    Any street there close by that'd be handy just off that area?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    pudgeydev wrote: »
    Hey all,
    The gf is coming along to support, I'd love to meet her when the going gets tough, anywhere from 21-24, and near the finish, is there any public transport where she could go from around there back to the finish line before I get there? Luas would be the only option I'm guessing. (I've seen people mention bikes, but that wouldn't suit as she doesn't know the place).
    Also, can anyone recommend a place to meet her once it's all done? She should be around the finish line anyway but afterwards you're herded through a big area and it's easy enough to get lost.
    Any street there close by that'd be handy just off that area?
    Thanks!
    Outside UCD might be a good place. That's where the despair and anguish usually hits me :) And the dual carriage way isn't closed there so she can get out and back in on the bus easy enough.

4 stars (good)
    The gf is coming along to support, I'd love to meet her when the going gets tough, anywhere from 21-24, and near the finish, is there any public transport where she could go from around there back to the finish line before I get there? Luas would be the only option I'm guessing.

I think your best bet is to meet around mile 18, in Milltown. The LUAS goes right over the route. I don't think there are good public transport options for the later miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    I think your best bet is to meet around mile 18, in Milltown. The LUAS goes right over the route. I don't think there are good public transport options for the later miles.

The last 5 miles travels pretty much in parallel with the Dart.
    The Sandymount stop is no further than 200m from the RDS which you will be running past at around mile 24.

The sydney parade stop is just beside where you turn from nutley lane onto the merrion rd at about 22.5 miles. She could get the dart back to Pearse St which would leave her just a few hundred yards from the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    Hey all,

Jaysus Im not sure you'd want your girlfriend to see you at that point in the race! Maybe at the 5 or at most 10mile point. But at 21-24 you wont be a pretty sight........
    All joking aside though, you'll be in the most difficult point of the marathon so you'd need all your powers of concentration at that stage. So it might knock you or have some sort of adverse affect seeing your girlfriend at that point. I know when Dick Beardsley was battling it out with alberto salazar in the last few miles of the 1982 boston marathon he was starting to think about his wife, his mother, his father and it was acting as a hindrance not a motivator. So he had to just focus on the race, his legs moving, his breathing, anything but the people close to him.
    I dunno, maybe it would be of some benefit to you to have the missus there at 21-24, but at the same time it could go in the opposite direction and act as a hindrance.

For meeting up afterwards, the old original entrance to the National Art Gallery is a brill spot.If it is raining she can wait inside free. It is on one side of the square. As YOu enter the square and face the finish line its on the right hand side.
    When you cross the line you continue forward and get your medal tshirt and drinks then you go around the corner to the right. Here you are on the side opposite the gallery. This is where you can get your photo taken and sit and eat your grub/take your drinks.This is still restricted to runners only. Here you can cry and feel smug etc and also where the chartered physio tent with the cool down exercises are done. Continue clockwise around the square and the next side is through the barrier into the crowds.
    The gallery entrance is on this side. last year, i stood here and the person beside me was all agitated cos the person he was meeting said they were at the entrance and he said HE was and they couldnt see each other. BUt the other person was at the new wing modern entrance around the corner facing the side of trinity college. So make sure its the origninal entrance beside the back of the dail.
    Its a lovely place to meet. Bring a ring, you can propose while you are still high :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

4 stars (good)
    Oh God, why ruin a great weekend with a proposal!!
    Thanks for all your replies, ideally I'd like to see her around 22.5 as it'll give me something to look forward to when the going really is getting tough. Plus if i'm losing it in my head (I'm pretty sure I have it in the legs, but could lose it in my head, if that makes sense) seeing her will give me a boost as I'll want to show off!
    Sydney Parade it is, followed by a marriage dodging meet up at the National Arts Gallery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 firsttimer

Firstly I have to say thanks to this forum for lots of information in the run up to DCM - it has been great to hear what others are doing and get advice!
    Now that the long runs are over I am trying to figure out what pace is going to be realistic for dublin - my first marathon. I really want to enjoy the experience but also want to do the best I can - would LOVE sub 4 - my best half marathon is about 1.56, 10 mile race time from the Frank Duffy was 1.24 and did Athlone 3/4 in 3.05 at the weekend (Hilly!!). I have 3 19/20 milers done at the stage as LSRs. - Is sub 4 realistic or would I be better off starting slower and being happy with something like 4.15/4.30? I suppose I don't really don't want to blow up by pushing it but also don't want to do as well as I can...any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

4 stars (good)
    trats wrote: »
    When will we get the first "I've been training for the last 6 months but...."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056052609

didn't take long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

asimonov wrote: »

The kenyans train 1 session a week like this on the diagonals.....I think they do a massive amount of reps, almost to exhaustion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

4 stars (good)
    BrokenMan wrote: »

First bite made by a mod from the fishing forum. A little Ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Send a pm to Gringo78. He's run a couple of marathons by heart rate at this stage. He's not running DCM so probably won;t visit this thread.

I sneakily lurk on this thread every so often to check out peoples targets...

Yes, I'm a great believer in marathon by HR. first one I aimed for 86% MHR on a hot day but ignored it once it started to rise after halfway....bad idea! Hit the wall at 18-19 and was reduced to 8-9min miles after a 10min mile.

Second time round 83% was the target HR with 86% as the upper limit. I was aiming for sub 3 and HR actually never rose above 83% as I stuck behind the pacer, easiest race I ever ran.

My tips: 3:15-3:30 runner, first marathon, aim for max 82% MHR on the flat. Select a pace you are happy with, go out at that pace for first 5 miles. If HR is taking off, back off. If HR is significantly lower than 82% you have a choice - would you be satisfied with marathon finishing time at current pace or would you like to knock a few more minutes off? If you want to push things a bit then slowly increase the pace over a mole or two and gradually bring the HR up to 82%. once you're past 22miles you can start to push things higher within reason.

On hills, allow HR to rise to maximum 85%, on downhills pace up, don't let the HR drop too low.

Better to keep the HR more or less even for first 21-22 miles.

Above 87% MHR I think you are probably burning glycogen to the extent that you cannot replenish fast enough to avoid running out completely by 20-21miles thus hitting the wall.

A guy running in our sub 3 pace group in Cork reached his HM pace HR 6 miles in. He didn't back off the pace and went down like a bag of spuds at 20 miles and made it to the finish line in an ambulance....finger prick test showed almost zero glycogen left.

If it's your first marathon, set a conservative HR target, be very careful about exceeding it and set an 'alarm bells' value cos hitting the wall really ain't pleasant. It'll take a few miles for your HR to settle in the race so concentrate on pace rather than HR for first 3 miles, only then start to believe the HR.

3 stars (average)
    Gringo78 wrote: »

Yes, I'm a great believer in marathon by HR. first one I aimed for 86% MHR on a hot day but ignored it once it started to rise after halfway....bad idea! Hit the wall at 18-19 and was reduced to 8-9min miles after a 10min mile.

Second time round 83% was the target HR with 86% as the upper limit. I was aiming for sub 3 and HR actually never rose above 83% as I stuck behind the pacer, easiest race I ever ran.

My tips: 3:15-3:30 runner, first marathon, aim for max 82% MHR on the flat. Select a pace you are happy with, go out at that pace for first 5 miles. If HR is taking off, back off. If HR is significantly lower than 82% you have a choice - would you be satisfied with marathon finishing time at current pace or would you like to knock a few more minutes off? If you want to push things a bit then slowly increase the pace over a mole or two and gradually bring the HR up to 82%. once you're past 22miles you can start to push things higher within reason.

On hills, allow HR to rise to maximum 85%, on downhills pace up, don't let the HR drop too low.

Above 87% MHR I think you are probably burning glycogen to the extent that you cannot replenish fast enough to avoid running out completely by 20-21miles thus hitting the wall.

A guy running in our sub 3 pace group in Cork reached his HM pace HR 6 miles in. He didn't back off the pace and went down like a bag of spuds at 20 miles and made it to the finish line in an ambulance....finger prick test showed almost zero glycogen left.

If it's your first marathon, set a conservative HR target, be very careful about exceeding it and set an 'alarm bells' value cos hitting the wall really ain't pleasant. It'll take a few miles for your HR to settle in the race so concentrate on pace rather than HR for first 3 miles, only then start to believe the HR.

Thanks Gringo. It sounds like my idea of going out at 150 to halfway (77% MHR) might be just a little conservative then. I'll maybe do 155 (80%) to half way, let if up to 160 (82.5%) very gradually to 22 miles before letting it go a little.

Hills can be tricky for me. In any races that I've run I've been significantly heavier than any other runner around me so I usually just keep the heart rate steady, back off the pace, let everybody go and then make most of it up on the downhills. Having read stories about trashed quads from running downhill too hard I've been thinking that I might not run quite as hard down them but keep it steady on the uphill anyway. You seem to be suggesting that pushing it a little on the downhill would be a better strategy? The difficulty with downhill running is that for me anyway there are only really two paces - controlled and letting it go.

I'm debating whether or not to take the first 2-3 miles with my cousin who's aiming to run with the 3:15 pacing group and seeing where I am then. I ran a really comfortable 11 mile run last week at 140 HR (72%) @ 7:35 pace which put the idea in my head but I was probably as tapered as I will be for Dublin (new baby means that training has been haphazard) and the conditions were absolutely perfect (flat, no wind, nice temperature etc.) so there are arguments both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    The kenyans train 1 session a week like this on the diagonals.....I think they do a massive amount of reps, almost to exhaustion.

Then it's an interval session, not strides. The main point about strides is to run fast with good form, as Krusty said, and you will lose form if you do too many of them. For the same reason you should do long recoveries to start each stride fresh. Strides are a neuromuscular workout, not to build the cardio system.

Obviously, some people may call an interval session with short repeats "strides", but that's not the original meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Then it's an interval session, not strides. The main point about strides is to run fast with good form, as Krusty said, and you will lose form if you do too many of them. For the same reason you should do long recoveries to start each stride fresh. Strides are a neuromuscular workout, not to build the cardio system.

Obviously, some people may call an interval session with short repeats "strides", but that's not the original meaning.

i think that gringo was just making a general link from my post about how the diagonals method works well for strides (but obviously done in the right quantity and at the end of an easy run).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

firsttimer wrote: »
    Firstly I have to say thanks to this forum for lots of information in the run up to DCM - it has been great to hear what others are doing and get advice!
    Now that the long runs are over I am trying to figure out what pace is going to be realistic for dublin - my first marathon. I really want to enjoy the experience but also want to do the best I can - would LOVE sub 4 - my best half marathon is about 1.56, 10 mile race time from the Frank Duffy was 1.24 and did Athlone 3/4 in 3.05 at the weekend (Hilly!!). I have 3 19/20 milers done at the stage as LSRs. - Is sub 4 realistic or would I be better off starting slower and being happy with something like 4.15/4.30? I suppose I don't really don't want to blow up by pushing it but also don't want to do as well as I can...any thoughts?

FWIW this will be my first marathon also and I've done 3 half marathons all a few minutes under two hours, but I was shattered at the end of all of them. I'm planning to keep my own natural comfortable pace but also plan to use the pacers to rein me in or push me on. I hope to stay between the 4:15 and 4:30 pace groups. If I'm feeling good I'll move up to but won't pass the 4:15ers, if I find the 4:30ers coming up to me I'll push on enough to stay with them.

rb

4 stars (good)
    NB. There is no 4.15 pace group

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

NB. There is no 4.15 pace group

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up! At least half of my strategy can stay in place!

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

firsttimer wrote: »

Some useful tips here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056051615

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

im screwed then!
    Half MP HR is 180bpm @ 93%max and MP HR is looking like its around 170-171bpm @ 88%max!!!

guess ill find out the hard way.........again :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement