Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

peddlelies wrote: »
    Deflection reflex with everything that's been going on. Kinda like when you stub your toe and yell out FECK.

Yeah. I banged my head off the door of an open press yesterday and shouted "OBAMAGATE!" :D

But yeah you're right, it's what he does when he's being hammered on any particular topic; just try to change the narrative and split the discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I disagree with some of the rhetoric about the police, imo the overwhelming majority of them are brave people who put their lives on the line protecting others, as much as it's a tough subject some minorities are disproportionately committing serious crimes so imo it's not a fair statement to say police are targeting blacks.

The majority of police, and all the ones I have come across, in America are most likely good people. The 2 problems with them is institutionalised racism and most cops insufficiently trained. It is like a religion, the miniorities are herded into districts which then get disproportionately affected by crime. The police officers then deal with the people every day and then after one or two incidents, neither side trusts the other, then it comes embedded. I would not like to be minority living over there, it must be like living in a parallel world. As for the 2nd point on training, most do not know how to fight or how to control another person. That is why they go straight for the tazer or gun. Even in the case we are talking about, it took 3 guys to hold him down. I have heard shocking things cops brought to proper training classes, like bending back fingers and pinching people. Imagine you are pinned down and someone started doing that to you, the natural reaction, if you could, would be to get out of that position, next of all you are shot dead for resisting arrest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Anything he wants. His followers would likely close accounts too. Millions of people. Twitter advertising revenue would drop like a rock. Share price would fall.

They won't do anything

I think that's overstating the value of Trump "supporters" on Twitter. Sure, I'd say there'll be plenty of attempts at boycotts and mass deletions - not least from Fox News or Sinclair - but there's no sense or sign that Trump's Twitter followers are majority fans. There are as many rubber-neckers and those out to simply watch the garbage fire from afar. That's not to say being banned from Twitter wouldn't be an issue in of itself, but nor do I believe it'd be seen in the number of accounts. Heck if anything, there's as good an argument the numbers would trend upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

circadian wrote: »
    Any idea why he just tweeted CHINA! a few hours ago??

Because he can't spell squirrel.

How many of his supporters get their news from Twitter? I cannot imagine them dropping off in any great number, there a large amount of them are bots. He would start a campaign for everyone to leave there accounts but that would take a large toxic element off, so no great loss. I cannot stand Twitter and only use it sporadically. Actually most of the stuff I read off it is on this forum.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think that's overstating the value of Trump "supporters" on Twitter. Sure, I'd say there'll be plenty of attempts at boycotts and mass deletions - not least from Fox News or Sinclair - but there's no sense or sign that Trump's Twitter followers are majority fans. There are as many rubber-neckers and those out to simply watch the garbage fire from afar. That's not to say being banned from Twitter wouldn't be an issue in of itself, but nor do I believe it'd be seen in the number of accounts. Heck if anything, there's as good an argument the numbers would trend upwards.

Also, likely a large amount of his followers are also bots. Twitter are doing this because they've likely done the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The police officer has been arrested:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I disagree with some of the rhetoric about the police, imo the overwhelming majority of them are brave people who put their lives on the line protecting others, as much as it's a tough subject some minorities are disproportionately committing serious crimes so imo it's not a fair statement to say police are targeting blacks.

The overwhelming majority of them do absolutely nothing to stop the 'bad eggs'. In this murder and practically every other one we've seen on camera, there are other police officers that stand by and do nothing to stop 'the bad egg'. The officer this time had something like 18 previous complaints and I'd guarantee that each time the cops he was with backed him up.

For the most part US cops are under trained, have too much weaponry, and have a toxic brotherhood mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Anything he wants. His followers would likely close accounts too. Millions of people. Twitter advertising revenue would drop like a rock. Share price would fall.

They won't do anything

Would ye cop on.

Trump is 9th at 80 million for twitter followers behind Ellen and Ronaldo.

Remember 15% of those are bots.

You also have to differentiate between 'followers' and 'supporters' in a twitter context if he was to leave. Users wouldn't abandon the platform just because he left, there'd be just one less head on their feed.

If he was to be booted (or leave), twitter's share price will be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If he was an elderly relative of mine I would be calling the mental health professionals. Just blurts out CHINA! No context. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1216356280933273600?s=20

"To the leaders of Iran - DO NOT KILL YOUR PROTESTERS. Thousands have already been killed or imprisoned by you, and the World is watching. More importantly, the USA is watching. Turn your internet back on and let reporters roam free! Stop the killing of your great Iranian people!" - Jan 12th, 2020

Interesting contrast there to Trump's latest tweets threatening death on Americans, not to mention what happened to the CNN crew this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The overwhelming majority of them do absolutely nothing to stop the 'bad eggs'. In this murder and practically every other one we've seen on camera, there are other police officers that stand by and do nothing to stop 'the bad egg'. The officer this time had something like 18 previous complaints and I'd guarantee that each time the cops he was with backed him up.

For the most part US cops are under trained, have too much weaponry, and have a toxic brotherhood mentality.

^^^ This... Plus:

If you start the day with 1,000 good cops and 10 bad cops, and the 10 bad cops act unlawfully while the 1,000 'good' cops do / say nothing.... Now you have 1,010 bad cops!

Too many cops have served in US military and have been trained into a violent and confrontational mindset. When they get home and join the local police force, they use the same mindset in dealing with civilians. Add to that the militarization of equipment and tactics, and Baghdad is imposed on Baltimore. No more 'peace officer' ... Just so many steroid- addled loose cannons with psychopathic God complexes operating within a 'thin blue line ' gang engaging in gang warfare, revenue generation and straight up theft, assault and murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The police officer has been arrested:

Now charged with murder.

Now charged with murder.

The other cops now need to be charged as well, in accordance with the Felony Murder Doctrine..

People's Law Dictionary says:

"felony murder doctrine
    n. a rule of criminal statutes that any death which occurs during the commission of a felony is first degree murder, and all participants in that felony or attempted felony can be charged with and found guilty of murder. A typical example is a robbery involving more than one criminal, in which one of them shoots, beats to death or runs over a store clerk, killing the clerk. Even if the death were accidental, all of the participants can be found guilty of felony murder, including those who did no harm, had no gun, and/or did not intend to hurt anyone. In a bizarre situation, if one of the holdup men or women is killed, his/her fellow robbers can be charged with murder."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

They won't do anything

Ah, so following Trumps lead on....pretty much anything!

So you are saying there are millions of people using Twitter purely to look at Trumps tweets! No other celebrities, no connection to Fox News or other news outlets, not even to their friends/families/work colleagues? Only The Don, and would leave if he wasnt there!

Gonna need some evidence there, hombre.

He's started off by calling China thieves...this will end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Some would call it an illustration of the mental decline of the man. Shouting at a cloud in the most meaningless way possible.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCBS/status/1239191452242116609?s=19

Funny that he's changed his tune now that 100,000 are dead under his watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Ah, so following Trumps lead on....pretty much anything!

So you are saying there are millions of people using Twitter purely to look at Trumps tweets! No other celebrities, no connection to Fox News or other news outlets, not even to their friends/families/work colleagues? Only The Don, and would leave if he wasnt there!

Gonna need some evidence there, hombre.

He even writes like the donald. “Millions of people. Share price would crash.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Pulling the USA out of the WHO...what a child!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gintonious wrote: »

What? What possible purpose does this yield? That's an insane decision. Wing-nut politics truly is in control in America; they the only non member in the WHO?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dropping support for Hong Kong is baffling. It's like supporting china then going on a rant about making china pay. It's such a schizophrenic response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

What? What possible purpose does this yield? That's an insane decision. Wing-nut politics truly is in control in America; they the only non member in the WHO?

Trump said he's transferring funding to other organisations who do the same job. Who are they and would they have the credibility of W.H.O in other countries [if Trump has a notion for them to do what the W.H.O does].

More importantly for the citizenry of the U.S, does it mean the ending of W.H.O's assistance to the U.S bodies fighting Covid-19 and other killer diseases in the U.S.? That would seem to be the inevitable result if Trump has totally ended official U.S Govt and nation medical co-operation with W.H.O. No recognition of W.H.O by the U.S would mean it couldn't work there as it's certification there would be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Idiotic and I'd say it'll probably be reversed. He's worse than a 3 year old toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's like a gaa manager complaining to the umpire because your keeper couldn't stop the ball going into the net. The coronavirus was a sliotar dropping into the square and every country had to defend against it however they could. The trump administration messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Idiotic and I'd say it'll probably be reversed. He's worse than a 3 year old toddler.

He’s an imbecile, an out and out 100% imbecile of the highest order. If he wasn’t president he’d be rightfully locked away in an institution like others of his ilk

Deflection tactic. LOOK!! OVER THERE!!!

The official US contribution (just over 100 million being the assessed contribution) will be quickly made up by actors such as Bill Gates. US becomes even more isolationist in the eyes of the world. China actually wins from this, as the withdrawal of US from places in Africa and Asia leaves those places more vulnerable to Chinese influence.

He simply can't see the big picture effects of his small minded actions..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

aloyisious wrote: »
    Trump said he's transferring funding to other organisations who do the same job. Who are they and would they have the credibility of W.H.O in other countries [if Trump has a notion for them to do what the W.H.O does].

More importantly for the citizenry of the U.S, does it mean the ending of W.H.O's assistance to the U.S bodies fighting Covid-19 and other killer diseases in the U.S.? That would seem to be the inevitable result if Trump has totally ended official U.S Govt and nation medical co-operation with W.H.O. No recognition of W.H.O by the U.S would mean it couldn't work there as it's certification there would be gone.

Like lots of Donald trumps pronouncements they "And then what ?" never seems to be asked.

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Probably one of the first things a Biden presidency would do, but in the interim this could cause chaos along the logistical structure of the country's fight against CoVid (or other health related initiatives of course, it's not all pandemics). A garbage fire of a presidency, no rhyme or reason beyond sheer conspiratorial petulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

More like Incompetent Vainglorious Orange Bollocks. He a complete **** up and is incapable of leading only minging and shìtposting. I hope if one thing comes out of this whole awful episode in Minnenapolis is that it mobilises people into voting out this turd presidency and bringing some sanity back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Many states will be forced back into lockdown in the coming months anyway. R numbers ticking up in several states. Hospitals in Birmingham Alabama are full. I hope no more hotspots like NY pop up but it’s not out of the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement