Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Straight knock out.
    QTR final vs Leitrim 1st Nov
    Connaught Semi 8th Nov
    Connaught Final 15th Nov
    Connaught vs Munster in the Semi 6th Dec
    All Ireland Final 19 Dec

Certainly leaving it late. Liverpool and Mayo in one year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭muddle84

I hope we stay in division 1 but those two games against Galway and Tyrone are going to be vital prep for championship so whatever happens in the league i am looking forward to a step back to straight knock out championship! Absolutely anything could happen this could be a great year, hopefully for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PARlance wrote: »
    Straight knock out.
    QTR final vs Leitrim 1st Nov
    Connaught Semi 8th Nov
    Connaught Final 15th Nov
    Connaught vs Munster in the Semi 6th Dec
    All Ireland Final 19 Dec

Certainly leaving it late. Liverpool and Mayo in one year?

Stephens Day if there's a final replay:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Stephens Day if there's a final replay:P

No chance
    We are going to lose it on penalties!

I think the whole thing is a farce tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

km79 wrote: »
    No chance

Part of me thinks the same but fu1ck I just want it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

No chance

Ah it's not a farce. It's a reaction to an unprecedented situation. It's not ideal but there you go.

I'm a Galway man and I was chatting to a Mayo woman the other day. We were talking about the possibility of a straight knock out and saying the excitement would be great. Then the same thought occurred to us both at the same time....as long as ye don't knock us out 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Potential fixture schedule for the remainder of the calendar year.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

No chance

If Mayo got over the line it would be just like any All Ireland, and its been a long time, I am from Waterford, and my friend was From Achill, and he sadly died in 2019, but not until he had seen another few close calls, I think the Newbridge or nowhere game was his last one, a Saturday qualifier, and the most disappointing day for him was the Donegal final when they conceded the 2 early goals. He just laughed at the 2 own goals in the drawn final against Dublin, said it could only be Mayo. Good luck this year, and hopefully a knock out format will suit.

Searched high and low for a Mayo jersey for a 0-6 month old baby girl living out of county ( home one obviously ).Tried Elverys O Neill's etc to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

If Mayo got over the line it would be just like any All Ireland, and its been a long time, I am from Waterford, and my friend was From Achill, and he sadly died in 2019, but not until he had seen another few close calls, I think the Newbridge or nowhere game was his last one, a Saturday qualifier, and the most disappointing day for him was the Donegal final when they conceded the 2 early goals. He just laughed at the 2 own goals in the drawn final against Dublin, said it could only be Mayo. Good luck this year, and hopefully a knock out format will suit.

A Mayo Waterford double would be a dream!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Who's asking for it and who wants it? Are you living in your own little world or something?

https://www.the42.ie/gpa-5-5129447-Jun2020/#comments

The vast vast majority of players want to return and they've even indicated to the GPA they want to return to training earlier than the guidelines. They also want the December finish to have it done before Xmas.

The GAA clearly want it given how much extra effort is being put in to organise it in strange circumstances. They also want the December finish so it doesn't mess with next year's calender.

The TV companies want it. And given how much talk there's been, the general public obviously want it rather than have nothing. You can guarantee that the semis and Finals in both codes will sell out and they'll again be some of the most watched events of the year.

The majority want to return to play,I don't know if the majority (or vast majority) want this weird, winter race to grab some money for the year.
    I was chatting to a former Mayo player this morning (still plays club) Said he has no interest in this championship and would much rather clubs including his own could go for provincial and all Ireland honours after the county championship.
    As much as I don't think it'll work out well for us its only fair the league is finished but starting a championship in November to finish at Christmas is crazy,Its a money grab,let's be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

HBC08 wrote: »
    The majority want to return to play,I don't know if the majority (or vast majority) want this weird, winter race to grab some money for the year.
    I was chatting to a former Mayo player this morning (still plays club) Said he has no interest in this championship and would much rather clubs including his own could go for provincial and all Ireland honours after the county championship.
    As much as I don't think it'll work out well for us its only fair the league is finished but starting a championship in November to finish at Christmas is crazy,Its a money grab,let's be honest about it.

That depends. If there are no crowds, will the GAA make money out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

That depends. If there are no crowds, will the GAA make money out of it?

Not as much but gate/ticket income will somewhat convert to advertising, tv. I'd imagine viewing numbers will be very high.

I'd like if they kept the fake crowd noise out, would doubly entertaining listening to some first hand sledging and bench instructions. Although the Bundesliga copped on to that pretty quick after the first game where it was clearly heard by all French speakers when Todibo told Haaland he should go f*ck his grandmother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Kalyke wrote: »
    A Mayo Waterford double would be a dream!!

I wish it was a reality :) That's what keeps us watching every year, hope springs eternal

Jack Mccaffrey taking a year out
    Huge loss for Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

seligehgit wrote: »
    Searched high and low for a Mayo jersey for a 0-6 month old baby girl living out of county ( home one obviously ).Tried Elverys O Neill's etc to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Did you try the Elverys shop in Castlebar ? I've seen baby/toddler Mayo jerseys in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Has somebody been playing around with the championship semi-final pairings hoping for a Kerry v Dublin final ?
    I may be wrong, but were the semi pairings this year not supposed to be Ulster v Connacht and Leinster V Munster.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Has somebody been playing around with the championship semi-final pairings hoping for a Kerry v Dublin final ?
    I may be wrong, but were the semi pairings this year not supposed to be Ulster v Connacht and Leinster V Munster.

Yes
    They were . No explanation put forward as to why they have been changed

Yes
    They were . No explanation put forward as to why they have been changed

Strange one isn`t.
    If you were a conspiracy theorist you would be tempted to believe that someone among the powers that be is doing their best to engineer a Dublin v Kerry final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No
    No one has been playing around with the championship semi final parings.

The Super 8 groups this year had Leinster and Munster champions in the same group.

So no way they could have meet in a SF.

The old SF rotation has been hampered somewhat by the Super 8 groups but going on that old rotation it would be Connacht v Munster in 2020 anyway.

2017 - Connacht v Munster
    2018 - Connacht v Leinster (Galway and Dublin in different Super 8 groups)
    2019 - Connacht v Ulster (Roscommon and Donegal in different Super 8 groups)
    2020 - Connacht v Munster (Connacht champions and Munster champions in different Super 8 groups)

So sorry folks but there is nothing to see here.

• Advertisement

I’ve changed my mind
    I want the championship to go ahead
    This may or may not be linked to me having just watched the league final win over Kerry :D

Diarmuid was sensational

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Im watching 2006 u21 final. Joe McQuillan was ref and he rode Cork altogether ��

spakman wrote: »
    Im watching 2006 u21 final. Joe McQuillan was ref and he rode Cork altogether ��

There were days watching McQuillan I thought a saddle would have been more apt for him than a whistle.

Great to see the various club championships getting underway on the August bank holiday weekend.

Ample tasty fixtures: Breaffy Westport comes to mind or for that matter the Charlestown Mitchels game.

Bound to be a poignant occasion for the home club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Great to see the various club championships getting underway on the August bank holiday weekend.

Ample tasty fixtures: Breaffy Westport comes to mind or for that matter the Charlestown Mitchels game.

Bound to be a poignant occasion for the home club.

Sorry if it seems like Ive been living under a rock and not keeping up,but are they behind closed doors or is there some kinda social distancing attendance possible.

Sorry if it seems like Ive been living under a rock and not keeping up,but are they behind closed doors or is there some kinda social distancing attendance possible.

As far as I know they are not behind closed doors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

As far as I know they are not behind closed doors...

Max 500 at games, that includes players and mentors etc. If there is likely to be more than 200 (I think) at a game you need to pre-sell tickets

Ah here ref has set up a new WhatsApp group for score updates and details of matches, this kind of info is going round on it, very handy

Green&Red wrote: »
    Max 500 at games, that includes players and mentors etc. If there is likely to be more than 200 (I think) at a game you need to pre-sell tickets

Ah here ref has set up a new WhatsApp group for score updates and details of matches, this kind of info is going round on it, very handy

Yes I joined that group.It is great,all credit to the lad.

Cracking game up at the saucer ( dome ) :D last night.

Claremorris and Hollymount Carramore.Intended to head up but I'd quite a busy day at the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Great. THanks. It's hard to know how it will go - if people will flock to the matches after being denied the football for so long. Or if many people will still be wary of the covid, and stay away.

Good workout for Westport last night.

Fionn was absolutely flying.

Leeroy looks in peak condition.

A lot of the young lads really impressed.Could this be the year they finally make the break-through?

Little evidence of any social distancing amongst the substitutes although space was an issue.Education re the dangers of the age old bad habit of spitting in the current climate needs further emphasis.Whilst it never occurred in the immediate vicinity of other players who knows how long potentially infectious aerosols could remain suspended in the air even in a low risk outdoors environment and dependent on the wind's direction expose others?

Small enough crowd for such a lovely evening.

Great. THanks. It's hard to know how it will go - if people will flock to the matches after being denied the football for so long. Or if many people will still be wary of the covid, and stay away.

Most grounds can comfortably hold 500 people.

I wouldn't have any qualms about attending a fixture but will always come armed with a mask if it's use is necessitated.I'd one last night but I didn't require it.

It's all about spatial awareness and ensuring you're 2 metres away from your fellow spectators and the players.I certainly would'nt venture into a stand irrespective of the weather conditions.

Mayo’s indoor dome fit to host Eurovision

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/john-fallon/mayos-indoor-dome-fit-to-host-eurovision-992328.html

"That’s the height of goalposts and anyone kicking it higher than that shouldn’t be out there,” quipped Prenty. “If you are going to be hitting the roof you should be taken off.”:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mayo’s indoor dome fit to host Eurovision

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/john-fallon/mayos-indoor-dome-fit-to-host-eurovision-992328.html

"That’s the height of goalposts and anyone kicking it higher than that shouldn’t be out there,” quipped Prenty. “If you are going to be hitting the roof you should be taken off.”:D

Great stuff,
    I'm not sure how they'd fit 10000 in it for a concert though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Are there any actual pictures of this famous dome ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Might be still blowing it up. :)

Presuming Mayo GAA tv will be streaming club championship games?

it would be very welcome with the crowd restrictions and the reluctance of some supporters to attend with Covid 19 still an active concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

EcAaEYGWoAYu8bs?format=jpg&name=large

EcPVzrAWkAAAjFu?format=jpg&name=large

EczEyVfXsAAGzPa?format=jpg&name=large

Great pics as always mayo.mick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Can't blame him really. His life and young family are in Dublin.

Can't blame him really. His life and young family are in Dublin.

I’d say this is his last few months as an intercounty player too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

That would be a shame. Great defender.

Think that's a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Great pics as always mayo.mick!

Oh, they're not mine, embedded from Connacht gaa twitter page :o

Breaffy are officially box office.

Michael Walsh match versus Garrymore tonight is a sellout.:D

Drat drat drat as I intended to take a quick spin out.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Breaffy are officially box office.

Michael Walsh match versus Garrymore tonight is a sellout.:D

Drat drat drat as I intended to take a quick spin out.:(

cant you park on the road and look in over the gate where the speed van parks?

irishgeo wrote: »
    cant you park on the road and look in over the gate where the speed van parks?

Indeed I was thinking along those lines.

Might be a tight squeeze.:D

Great minds think alike and all that.

Anyone have the story on why Balla are refusing to travel to Louisburgh for the match this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Anyone have the story on why Balla are refusing to travel to Louisburgh for the match this evening?

A doctor from Louisburgh raised concerns, Louisburgh wanted it behind closed doors - that's what Balla GAA tweeted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement