Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitachi 48 Inch Ultra HD/4K TV - €385 (Could Expire on 14th)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

BigBulldog wrote: »
    Any tips on where to get 4k content? Torrents or where?

I'll pm you later.

deco nate wrote: »
    Netflix

Poor 4k quality though.

So I've had the 74u just over a week. Again really happy with the product v the price. 4k playback is excellent. Up scaling isn't wonderful but most of my stuff is 1080 anyway. USB playback has handled anything I though at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Does BBCi player work on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Does BBCi player work on these?

Without a VPN/proxy probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

So I've had the 74u just over a week. Again really happy with the product v the price. 4k playback is excellent. Up scaling isn't wonderful but most of my stuff is 1080 anyway. USB playback has handled anything I though at it.

I imagine beauty is in the eye of the beholder is very apt for this, but imo it does a very tidy job with upscaling, certainly far better than any of the LCD/LED 1080p TV's i have had.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I imagine beauty is in the eye of the beholder is very apt for this, but imo it does a very tidy job with upscaling, certainly far better than any of the LCD/LED 1080p TV's i have had.

Yeh look it it's a small gripe on my part if you like. It's 4k upscaling supposedly. I'm more than happy though as I have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Anyone who purchased one of these TV's have any problems with the internet on it?

I have Virgin Media internet, the 360mb package. Although on a speed test on my laptop I seem to only get between 50-60mb. Assumed this would be plenty fast for the TV.

Anyway, when I first got the TV it seemed fine, now it rarely works. On the settings it says it's connected, but when I try to use any of the apps they just don't work and it comes up saying "please connect your device to the internet to use the smart TV features", but as I said, in settings it says I am connected. Then when I do a speed test it says it's only getting 1mbps.

I have tried deleting the wifi profile and adding it back again but that doesn't seem to do it.

As above, when I first got the TV I went on YouTube to look at some 4K videos (which were amazing btw), the YouTube app would load up right away and everything worked fine. Now it rarely loads up at all, and if it does it's very slow.

It doesn't make me too angry as the TV was extremely cheap and I'd rarely use the internet features of the TV as I have the Xbox One S connected, so would just use that for Netflix. But annoying this tonight as I wanted to throw on YouTube.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you tried an ethernet?

You should probably change wifi channel too. What modem are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

chops018 wrote: »
    As above, when I first got the TV I went on YouTube to look at some 4K videos (which were amazing btw), the YouTube app would load up right away and everything worked fine. Now it rarely loads up at all, and if it does it's very slow.

It doesn't make me too angry as the TV was extremely cheap and I'd rarely use the internet features of the TV as I have the Xbox One S connected, so would just use that for Netflix. But annoying this tonight as I wanted to throw on YouTube.

Thoughts?

You know there's a you tube app for the Xbox... Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Anyone who purchased one of these TV's have any problems with the internet on it?

I have Virgin Media internet, the 360mb package. Although on a speed test on my laptop I seem to only get between 50-60mb. Assumed this would be plenty fast for the TV.

Anyway, when I first got the TV it seemed fine, now it rarely works. On the settings it says it's connected, but when I try to use any of the apps they just don't work and it comes up saying "please connect your device to the internet to use the smart TV features", but as I said, in settings it says I am connected. Then when I do a speed test it says it's only getting 1mbps.

I have tried deleting the wifi profile and adding it back again but that doesn't seem to do it.

Thoughts?
    This happens to me quite often and YouTube will say not connected and also the home screen but hitting the netflix button seems to make it all connected correctly because after that the YouTube app works correctly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you tried an ethernet?

You should probably change wifi channel too. What modem are you using?

No, I haven't tried that. Wouldn't be bothered with the hassle. The Horizon box is the one we are using, and that's in another room connected to a different TV.

How do I change wifi channel?
    You know there's a you tube app for the Xbox... Right?

Yes, I do indeed. I ended up using that instead. As I said, it's not a huge loss if I can't use the smart tv functions, as everything is on the Xbox anyway. The quality of the TV itself so far seems decent, and it was extremely cheap. But still, money was paid for a brand new TV, so you'd expect this stuff to work, especially as my internet connection is fairly good. 50-60mb is not a bad speed, and if I tweaked my laptop I'd probably get even faster.
    stamjoe wrote: »
    This happens to me quite often and YouTube will say not connected and also the home screen but hitting the netflix button seems to make it all connected correctly because after that the YouTube app works correctly

Thanks. I will have to try this next time. Hopefully this isn't the start of the TV going finicky altogether on me.

Thanks for all the replies so far all. Will update next time I do try using the online features of the TV. Back to the Xbox for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

chops018 wrote:

That 50-60mb sounds like is your laptop WiFi limitation. Try testing using a cake connection and you should see it a lot faster.

I've a slightly different model of this tv non-ultra, but same smart software. I've mine connected via cable and generally have no issues except the occasional YouTube not loading a video the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Thoughts?

I have encountered no problems, and this thing gets used every day (we also bought a corner sofa with a chaise lounge and i just go there now :D) but i'll keep an eye on it.

No, I haven't tried that. Wouldn't be bothered with the hassle. The Horizon box is the one we are using, and that's in another room connected to a different TV.

How do I change wifi channel?

Yes, I do indeed. I ended up using that instead. As I said, it's not a huge loss if I can't use the smart tv functions, as everything is on the Xbox anyway. The quality of the TV itself so far seems decent, and it was extremely cheap. But still, money was paid for a brand new TV, so you'd expect this stuff to work, especially as my internet connection is fairly good. 50-60mb is not a bad speed, and if I tweaked my laptop I'd probably get even faster.

Thanks. I will have to try this next time. Hopefully this isn't the start of the TV going finicky altogether on me.

Thanks for all the replies so far all. Will update next time I do try using the online features of the TV. Back to the Xbox for now.

You should really get a separate modem from virgin as the Horizon box can't deliver the speed you're on, and the wifi performance of the new hub is a million times better than the Horizon box.

Details on changing channel here
    http://support.virginmedia.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/625/~/changing-wireless-settings-on-the-horizon-tv-hd%2B-box

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You should really get a separate modem from virgin as the Horizon box can't deliver the speed you're on, and the wifi performance of the new hub is a million times better than the Horizon box.

Details on changing channel here
    http://support.virginmedia.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/625/~/changing-wireless-settings-on-the-horizon-tv-hd%2B-box

Hi Colm.

Thanks for that.

I actually got that new modem from them already, must have been about year ago now. Anyway, my internet was actually much worse with it so I told them to take I back and put the internet back to the horizon box.

Was it the white one you got?

Yes, I got the white one!

Ok, the TV decided to turn itself off and on tonight. Basically it just turned off, the red light started flashing, then the big Hitachi logo that comes up on the screen when you plug it in kept coming on and off.

Very strange.

Anyone any ideas?

Did I get a dud?

I checked the settings and I don't appear to have it set to turn off, as I don't like that setting being on. Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be working at all now. Red light keeps flashing, logo keeps coming on screen, going off. Even if I plug it out for a couple of mins and back in, the same thing happens.

Similar to what is happening to this TV is happening to mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31bSb1odoug

Yeah, it's not turning back on. I'll try make it over to Argos tomorrow. I have the receipt, and also the instruction manual at the back says there is a year guarantee with Argos, so hopefully there is no problems replacing it. I took a video of what's happening to show them. Also, does anyone think the fact that I have the TV plugged into an extension lead would make a difference?

Update for anyone interested.

I brought it back to Argos this evening. They tested it and saw it wasn't working. They offered me a replacement as they had one in store, or else put credit towards a different one. I got a replacement. The one they gave me was a 64u model, and I had the 74u, although I don't really see any difference tbh. Does anyone know if there is any difference or if I should care? It could be all in my head but so far the picture quality seems a little bit worse, and the sound doesn't seem as good. Although when I first got the 74u I played around with the picture and sound settings until I got what I liked, may have to do that again here. Picture quality is noticeable on while watching the VM box, the HD channels don't seem as good. The 4k videos on the YouTube app seem excellent though. Possibly all in my head and I'll have to tinker with settings again!

Here's hoping this one is ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement