Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Thanks so much, both of you! I did not see nor try that - appreciate it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know this is a long shot as the copy of the image is not great.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633465#page/7/mode/1up

Looking for what it says in the notes on marriage no. 68 (Donohoe/Keane).
    I can make out 'Marlboro St' but anything else I'm really just guessing.

That's a difficult one alright. Is there a latin help thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can translate individual words but they make no sense. From what I know of the couple, it wasn't any sort of a 'hasty' wedding as their first child wasn't born until 1879.

My wild (completely unsubstantiated) guess is that perhaps she was of the Marlboro St parish, but marrying in Nth. William Street (which is just over the way anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

spurious wrote: »
    I can translate individual words but they make no sense. From what I know of the couple, it wasn't any sort of a 'hasty' wedding as their first child wasn't born until 1879.

My wild (completely unsubstantiated) guess is that perhaps she was of the Marlboro St parish, but marrying in Nth. William Street (which is just over the way anyway).

I think you have it. First word is 'spousa' (wife) ...in the second line I read 'habitas' and 'proclamationes factus in Marlboro St' (living....banns made in Marlboro St.)
    So it's the priest covering himself, acknowledging that she was from outside his parish but that the banns were read in Marlboro st.

The last words are +/- illegible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Seven lines up from the bottom of the left hand page - any thoughts on the child's first name.
    Parents are Michael Brennan and Mary Guinan.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632949#page/29/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Hermy wrote: »
    Seven lines up from the bottom of the left hand page - any thoughts on the child's first name.
    Parents are Michael Brennan and Mary Guinan.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632949#page/29/mode/1up

It could be Aidanus, its male anyway but there doesn't seem to be any record of a male born to Michael Brennan and Mary Guinan in any of the usual places for 1875. Perhaps he didn't live long

Spot on Griffinx - that concurs with my own reading of it.

And yes, I believe he didn't survive long - hence the absence of a civil birth or death record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Trying to figure out if a mothers name was added here, it is from Irish catholic parish registers in 1844.

I can see father name was Patrick Lillis and looks like he had a sister called Mary Lillis but the rest I cannot make out, if anyone can help

https://imgur.com/a/b26agSu

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

campo wrote: »
    Trying to figure out if a mothers name was added here, it is from Irish catholic parish registers in 1844.

I can see father name was Patrick Lillis and looks like he had a sister called Mary Lillis but the rest I cannot make out, if anyone can help

I think the mother is Anne Mahony but would need to see the full doc to determine what type of document we are looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Griffinx wrote: »
    I think the mother is Anne Mahony but would need to see the full doc to determine what type of document we are looking at.

Thank you, turns out I was a bit foolish and did not realise on ancestry I can clikc on detail and it gives the following

Name
    Patrick Lillis
    Event Type Marriage
    Marriage Date
    Jan 1844
    Marriage Place
    Ireland, St Senan's, Ireland
    Diocese Killaloe
    Father Patrick Lillis
    Spouse Anne Mahony

So you were right about Anne Mahoney but it was his wife not mother, looks to be a marriage cert

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Patrick Lillis son of Patrick Lillis [can't read this word but suspect place name]
    Anne Mahony & Thomas Lillis [can't read this word - place name?]

was at the priest's house in the presence of Thomas Lillis of [same place name as above], Patrick Lillis, father, Mary Lillis, his sister.

I read that as Mary Lillis being the father's sister.

Anne Mahony & Thomas Lillis are in the place you'd usually see godparents.

Genealogy Forum Mod

campo wrote: »

For best results you need to include a link to the source with your query.

Genealogy Forum Mod

One of the place names is Knockerra, a townland, the other I can't fathom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭chooseusername

One of the place names is Knockerra, a townland, the other I can't fathom.

Could it be Tonavoher here:tonavoher.jpg
    Knockerry just to the North?

I'm interested in the marriage of Thomas Pelly and Catherine Donohoe on Jul 31st 1858 eight lines up from the bottom of the left hand page.
    https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632932#page/85/mode/1up

I'm wondering about the place name that appears after the date for this and several other entries on the same page.

Is it the location the marriage took place?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pelly.jpg

Married in Cappataggle parish church.
    Other event, place ; Bally...? is usually place of residence .
    Can't find that townland
    but in 1869 had a daughter Catherine
    2nd entry right hand page
    registered in Kiltomer so I'd guess Bally...?
    is a townland around there.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632949#page/17/mode/1up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Ballimabillagh ?

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Ballimabillagh ?
    By golly I think you have it.
    Spelt "Ballymabilla" in Townlands.ie;
    https://www.townlands.ie/galway/kilconnell/killallaghtan/killallaghtan/ballymabilla/

It doesn't look like Ballymabilla to me but that's beside the point.

The way it's written in the register it implies that the marriage took place at that location rather then it being, say, the address of the couple.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

The way it's written in the register it implies that the marriage took place at that location rather then it being, say, the address of the couple.
    You're right , it doesn't look like Ballymabilla .
    But could well be Ballymabillagh;Google spelling

right next to Cappataggle .
    Church could well have been called Ballymabillagh.
    cappataggle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Hello,
    trying to work out what is written above 'Richard' in the second entry on 16 November.
    Also, The father's name is Thomas Jones - there is something written after his name. I think I know what it is ,but would like to see if other people see the same.

Finally, can anyone read the place name in the 5th column ?

Thanks

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634038#page/8/mode/1up

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

You're right , it doesn't look like Ballymabilla .
    But could well be Ballymabillagh;Google spelling

right next to Cappataggle .
    Church could well have been called Ballymabillagh.
    cappataggle.jpg

To be honest, all I saw was Ballymoney but didn't think it was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

MunsterM wrote: »
    Hello,
    trying to work out what is written above 'Richard' in the second entry on 16 November.
    Also, The father's name is Thomas Jones - there is something written after his name. I think I know what it is ,but would like to see if other people see the same.

Finally, can anyone read the place name in the 5th column ?

Thanks

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634038#page/8/mode/1up

I think the words above 'Richard' are 'Sub Cond' for 'Sub Conditione' meaning 'Under Condition", in case that the child may have been already baptised by someone else in an emergency if they were ill, meaning that the priest is baptising them now IF they are not already baptised.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

The place name in the 5th column is difficult to read but I think it may be Coolroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The word beside Thomas Jones looks like 'protestant' - maybe this was the reason for the conditional baptism? Also I agree that the placename looks like Coolroe - townland north of Kilmuckridge, Co Wexford.

All the marriages in that register are from the parish church at Cappataggle.
    There would be no need to include it in each entry.
    The aA abbreviation after the date is probably the recorders way of saying 'abiding at'
    or something
    The last entry on your page is Cappatangle ,probably the townland
    Next one up is Peak a townland , then Cahernagarry, then Ballymabillagh,
    there's also Drought and Killagh beg further up , all townlands local to Cappataggle Parish church.

The aA abbreviation after the date is probably the recorders way of saying 'abiding at'
    or something.

That explains it!

Thanks for persevering with me. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

The place name in the 5th column is difficult to read but I think it may be Coolroe.

Thank you. I think you're right as there's a Coolroe in south Wicklow which is where these people were.

• Advertisement

KildareFan wrote: »
    The word beside Thomas Jones looks like 'protestant' - maybe this was the reason for the conditional baptism? Also I agree that the placename looks like Coolroe - townland north of Kilmuckridge, Co Wexford.

Yes, I see 'protestant' too. Thanks.

Advertisement