Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-07-2019, 19:40   #1
is_that_so

Water charges for excessive usage

IW have been given approval by the Commission for Regulation of Utilities to start charging people for using excessive amounts of water, above the 213,000L annual limit set by legislation. By the looks of it people will have plenty of time to conform and then there'll be a charge of €1.85 for each 1,000 litres above that limit. A sensible move in my view as there are an estimated 80,000 households going over the limit.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019...2-irish-water/
Advertisement
17-07-2019, 19:44   #2
is_that_so

Sure but it does look more like a conservation measure, which would also save some money.
(3) thanks from:
17-07-2019, 19:46   #3
Paulzx

Slight problem though. The people who didn't make a fuss about getting their water meter installed can now have their water usage individually monitored.

On the other hand the people who intimidated contractors, defied court orders, abused and heckled Gardai and made sure that water meters were not installed in their areas will be unable to have their usage checked.

How is that going to work?
17-07-2019, 19:50   #4
skimpydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulzx View Post
Slight problem though. The people who didn't make a fuss about getting their water meter installed can now have their water usage individually monitored.

On the other hand the people who intimidated contractors, defied court orders, abused and heckled Gardai and made sure that water meters were not installed in their areas will be unable to have their usage checked.

How is that going to work?
I live in an apartment and they could not install meters. What will happen to me and people in my scenario?
17-07-2019, 19:52   #5
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimpydoo View Post
I live in an apartment and they could not install meters. What will happen to me and people in my scenario?
Not terribly clear from the article but I'd say it would be hard to breach the limit in an apartment.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-07-2019, 19:55   #6
odyssey06

The RTE article seems to imply it is all about leaks, but it seems a low threshold if the intention is to catch leaks... surely a leak would be way more than 1.7 times the average limit?
(4) thanks from:
17-07-2019, 19:56   #7
Glass fused light

Re post 4
Sneek attacks with jcb's hired to dig random holes in random areas.
brown food die will be droped in to mains and the crews will be on standby for the horrified calls from householders.
Lads call up tell the householders its the pipe work conection that needs replacement and they can do them a deal.
On the quiet like.
The meter box will allow the householder proof that the Goverment has caused the runns and the payout will be ephic.
But they have to keep it on the down low.

Sucess for IW

Last edited by Glass fused light; 17-07-2019 at 20:00.
17-07-2019, 19:57   #8
Galwayguy35

This was being discussed on Matt Coopers show earlier on, yer wan from IW was asked about unmetered houses and she waffled on about meter reading being taken as an average in estates but in reality they have no way of knowing how much water is used without a meter.

And who arrives on after only Paul Murphy, he must be nearly creaming himself that his favourite subject is back in the news.
17-07-2019, 19:58   #9
kneemos

How far did they get with the meter installations?
Advertisement
17-07-2019, 20:00   #10
Bobblehats

Was only thinking about it two days ago saying to myself they won’t let that lie.
17-07-2019, 20:01   #11
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galwayguy35 View Post
This was being discussed on Matt Coopers show earlier on, yer wan from IW was asked about unmetered houses and she waffled on about meter reading being taken as an average in estates but in reality they have no way of knowing how much water is used without a meter.

And who arrives on after only Paul Murphy, he must be nearly creaming himself that his favourite subject is back in the news.

Surely he can fall back on some of his other innovative and progressive policies?
(5) thanks from:
17-07-2019, 20:06   #12
skimpydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
Not terribly clear from the article but I'd say it would be hard to breach the limit in an apartment.
In theory, I could run a mini laundrette from my apartment .
17-07-2019, 20:30   #13
astrofool

55% with meters, the rest they can estimate, and then pin it down to individual dwellings afterwards after surveying the pipes directly.

Not sure how anyone can complain with paying a relative pittance after going so far over the average amount. Potable water doesn't fall from the sky!
(2) thanks from:
17-07-2019, 20:47   #14
branie2

If it has to be done, it has to be done
17-07-2019, 20:54   #15
Wildly Boaring

Yeah it's actually handy enough sort the leak location in an estate.

Flowmeter going into estate will tell if estate is an issue.

If noone at all is metered you'd stick in couple cheap mechanical flowmeter in estate to narrow down.

Out with the listening gear and see which t running with no stop.

Then install a meter at IW end of the single service connection not at the boundary box. Voila.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion