Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-04-2016, 12:08   #61
woodturner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakebiodiesel View Post
My 3 cents is right , you can just see the end of the word Stanley on the lateral adjustment lever. It probably works perfectly but if it bothers you I might have a Record frog in my spares box that i could swap with you.
Yeah I don't mind. When I got the plane the lateral lever was broken on the original frog.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-04-2016, 13:37   #62
my3cents

Anyone notice the plane Gibbs was using in his basement on NCIS the other night. A very nice transitional plane wooden sole and body with steel frame on top with screw adjustment for the blade. iirc it was one very like this....

Image stolen from https://handtooljourney.wordpress.co...26-jack-plane/ where there is a lot more info.

Its interesting that someone on the NCIS show picked a transitional plane as it would take a certain amount of knowledge of woodworking tools to fit the tools used so well with the Gibbs character.
28-04-2016, 13:29   #63
imakebiodiesel

Some one on NCIS is knowledgable about woodwork but Im not sure its Gibbs. He looks like an actor who has been shown how to use tools not someone who is genuinely familiar with them. In one episode he found a Shopsmith 10ER in a pawn shop and later went back an bought it. I have an identical machine, its a lathe, a disc sander, a metal grinder, a table saw, a jigsaw, a pillar drill and a spindle moulder all in one. here is a picture of it in disc sander mode.
Thanks from:
28-04-2016, 14:23   #64
magicbastarder

i wonder why no-one is making a modern equivalent?
assuming there is no modern equivalent.
28-04-2016, 14:44   #65
my3cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
i wonder why no-one is making a modern equivalent?
assuming there is no modern equivalent.
Health and Safety?
Advertisement
28-04-2016, 16:58   #66
imakebiodiesel

There is in fact a modern version. but its made in China and cost £3500. Mine was built in 1953, the year I was born, in San Francisco USA. The Shopsmith company went out of business in the 60s. They were not popular with professionals who like all their machines lined up for production work and it was too expensive for most hobbyists. I find it really useful and I can switch from one mode to any other in 2 or 3 minutes. I use it mostly as a lathe for large faceplate work, Disc sanding and sawing with the table saw. I rarely use it in the vertical mode because I have a good drill press.
By modern standards this machine would not pass a health and safety check, but I take responsibility for my own safety in my own workshop.
28-04-2016, 22:25   #67
Wossack

my grandad had an old multitool type machine years and years ago - not a shopsmith though.. any alternatives people are aware of?
28-04-2016, 22:52   #68
bruman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wossack View Post
my grandad had an old multitool type machine years and years ago - not a shopsmith though.. any alternatives people are aware of?
The Coronet Major. I got one clearing out an old relatives garage . Haven't had time to put it together yet. Loads of parts and all very heavy.

Have a look at www . lathes . co . uk / coronet /

Sorry about the spaces. Not enough posts to paste the url
Thanks from:
28-04-2016, 23:00   #69
Wossack

think thats it alright! thanks for the details fascinated by it as a child, but its long gone unfortunately
Advertisement
29-04-2016, 21:43   #70
Calahonda52

Cleaning up a 10" planer cutter block

Am getting this planer ready for sale and I wonder:
  1. if it is necessary
  2. how best to do it
One idea I had was to remove the knives, wind the adjustable table up to the max and run it with a block of fine sand paper.
If I stand at front of machine, it it catches it will go away from me.
The machine is here and is in good condition otherwise
https://casio85gt.smugmug.com/Power-...-Planer-Thick/

Thanks as always
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Planer cutter block.jpg (783.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Planer cutter block .jpg (865.2 KB, 39 views)
30-04-2016, 10:41   #71
bonzodog2

I'd give it a rub with some fine steel wool first, then cut an inch-wide strip from a sheet of fine wet-and-dry (the longest dimension of the paper) and hold it by the ends, wrapped round the drum, after removing the blades.
Thanks from:
30-04-2016, 20:45   #72
Calahonda52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzodog2 View Post
I'd give it a rub with some fine steel wool first, then cut an inch-wide strip from a sheet of fine wet-and-dry (the longest dimension of the paper) and hold it by the ends, wrapped round the drum, after removing the blades.

This worked out pretty well, thanks: the one downside is that I use fingerprints to access fone, they are gone at the mo from all the sanding
01-05-2016, 15:04   #73
delaney001

Anyone care to identify what age or era this plane is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.19 MB, 56 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.24 MB, 41 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.46 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.49 MB, 32 views)
01-05-2016, 15:26   #74
my3cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaney001 View Post
Anyone care to identify what age or era this plane is?
Its a UK model and there isn't much dating information for them as they aren't really collected and have far less value than the American Stanley's.

If it was an american plane it would probably be a T20 (if the paintwork is blue?) which is 1962 - 1967 but I would guess its a bit be not much newer than that. I'd go with 1970 ish.
Thanks from:
02-05-2016, 01:23   #75
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3cents View Post
Its a UK model ... and have far less value than the American Stanley's.
is that based on rarity or quality?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion