Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2019 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ghost Babel for it's Japanese release. It's just known as Metal Gear Solid in the west but fans differentiate it with the Ghost Babel moniker.

It's a fantastic game, just muscle through the awful puzzle at the start with the different colour cardboard boxes. Every Gameboy Colour game had to have a colour based puzzle as if colour in videogames was a novelty at the time.

I'll have to find a way to get it on my NES/SNES Mini as I haven't played a Game Boy in 20 years. I'm sure I saw a guide on how to stick GBC games onto it, somewhere.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just saw you beat Gunstar Heroes as well on easy. My opinion is it's the best game on the megadrive. It's worth playing that game on Normal and Hard mode as it actually adds new attacks to bosses meaning you are only really getting the real game on Hard (you can play on expert as well.... but its too insane and only ups enemy numbers, HP and damage)

I'll certainly give it another bash on a higher difficulty at some stage. I have no intentions of leaving it in the dust. Though I get easily frustrated when a game becomes too ridiculous for me. As I said, sidescrolling shooters are not my strongest genre
    I bought Ikaruga last year. Stupid idea, I just can't play that thing. I also made an attempt at Alien Soldier a couple of weeks ago and it was a nightmare :o

I really love the idea of the side-scrolling shooter, hence why I tried to get into so many of them, but I'm just horrendous at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I did get good enough to finish Ikaruga on 5 credits but it's a bastard hard game. Alien Soldier is a game I want to get into but it's insanely tough. I wouldn't mind the bosses being extremely tough but having to use the counter move to gain back very rapidly dwindling ammo supplies is beyond my skill level. I'll have to try it again.

I do love my side scrolling shooters but I'm rather good at them as I grew up with Contra Hard Corp and Gunstar Heroes.

Oh yeah, Contra - another series of games I'm shocking at. I bought the Contra Collection on Switch a few weeks ago. I just can't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

[PC]

Fallout 4

Enjoyed it for what it was but felt like a rehash of Fallout 3. Was more work than anything by the end.

Still on the list:

Skyrim
    Kingdom Come
    Kerbal Space Program
    No Mans Sky

I probably won't tackle Skyrim or Kingdom Come til October. NMS, I'll probably wait for VR so guess I'll try to visit everything in KSP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox One]

Borderlands: The Zombie island of Dr. Ned (DLC)

Good DLC. Was a bit frustrating at first trying to get a head shot to collect the brains and them damn spitting zombies but once I got the hang of it, it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Battlefield V - PS4
    Spyro - PS4
    Red faction - PS4
    Yakuza zero - PS4
    Dmc 5 - PS4
    Resident evil 2 - PS4
    Shadow warrior - PS4
    Red dead redemption 2 - PS4
    Fifa 19 - PS4
    Life is strange - PS4
    Split Second - Xbox 360
    Tomb raider legend - Xbox 360
    Soma - PS4

Turok - Xbox one

Game: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    Platform: PlayStation 3

My last gameplay beat was an hour and 10 minutes before I saw the end credits.

Yeah, the final back-to-back cutscenes of this game is over 70 minutes long......
    The final chapter of this game is 30% gameplay/70% cutscenes.

I normally do not mind the cutscenes in any of these games, but I had almost forgotten how much MGS4 takes the biscuit with the sheer length of them.

It's my least favourite in all the MGS titles I have ever played, mainly because it heavily relies on nostalgia and, yeah I'll admit, way too many long cutscenes - 8 hours in total. But when there is gameplay, it is very well done.

No intent on insulting this game's goal in terms of storytelling too much, but I'm glad to be shot of it.

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SPYRO THE DRAGON|PLAYSTATION 4
    OUTRUN (SEGA AGES)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    DETROIT: BECOME HUMAN|PLAYSTATION 4
    RESIDENT EVIL 2|PLAYSTATION 4
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON'S QUEST (REDACTED)|NES
    CASTLEVANIA III: DRACULA'S CURSE|NES
    FLASHBACK: 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    STREETS OF RAGE 2 (SEGA MD CLASSICS)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    MORTAL KOMBAT 11|PLAYSTATION 4
    THE MESSENGER|NINTENDO SWITCH
    ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST|XBOX ONE
    SHAKEDOWN: HAWAII|NINTENDO SWITCH
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    SPEC OPS: THE LINE|PC
    TETRIS EFFECT|PLAYSTATION 4
    GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES|PLAYSTATION 2
    GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES|PLAYSTATION 2
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY|PLAYSTATION 3
    GUNSTAR HEROES (SEGA MD CLASSICS)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER|PLAYSTATION 3
    METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS|PLAYSTATION 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ace Combat 7
    Dragon Quest 8
    MegaMan
    Megaman 2
    Super Mario Bros
    Megaman 3
    MegaMan 4

Metal Gear

Played on the HD collection for PS3. Despite how old this game is and the platform it's a fantastic game and still very playable. The MSX Metal Gear is so much better than the awful NES version. Only issues are some of the information you need to beat the game is in the manual which isn't included so you need a FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Shadow of the Colossus remake PS4 - An all time classic.
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves remastered PS4 - Loved this, an improvement over no.1 which was also good.
    God of War PS4 - The game of this console generation.
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - A cinematic masterpiece.
    What Remains of Edith Finch - A beautiful and moving game.
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PS4 - Absolutely amazing, a must buy and is often on sale.
    Infamous Second Son - feel like a super hero. Good game but can get repetitive.

[Xbox One]

Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (DLC)

More of the same which is a good thing with different types of enemies. A lot more content in this DLC than the zombie island of doctor Ned.

• Advertisement

Game: Metal Gear Solid
    Platform: PlayStation

Can't get over how, after 21 years, this game still manages to hold up from a storytelling and visual standpoint. Gameplaywise it's a little janky, but that could be due to the fact I have just came out of playing MGS3 and then MGS4 back-to-back, so going back to this was a bit jarring at first.

Nevertheless it's still a fantastic game. This marks the third time I've ever beaten it.

The latter portion of the game was very tedious, with a lot of backtracking. Those who have played it knows what I'm talking about (PAL keys) and then I just got sloppy on the final two bosses and the very final portion of gameplay. About 10 continues were used, I was gettin' rusty.
    I deliberately went for the bad ending on this one, mainly for 2 reasons;

1: I wanted the stealth camo for when I decide to play it again in the future.
    2: I actually preferred having Otacon with Snake at the end instead of Meryl. I can just pretend she's not dead :pac:

I'm going to jump into the remake (The Twin Snakes) after this one - never got to play it before. It'll be interesting to see what the differences are (since it uses the same engine that MGS2 used, I can only imagine it plays almost identical to that)

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    METAL GEAR SOLID|PLAYSTATION

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Metro 2033. Had it on the list for years, never got around to it. Man, I really enjoyed that. Loved the setting, the atmosphere, sound, general creepiness. Gameplay was pretty good, level design interesting and didn't stick to one gimmick for too long - action sequences didn't outlast themselves, and then segued into something different, be it a hub area, or a puzzle or whatever.

Onto Metro: Last Light.

Game: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    Platform: Nintendo GameCube

Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

It's essentially MGS1 if it was played the same as MGS2. All of MGS2's gameplay tropes are in here, first-person aiming and all.

All of that made the game a complete and utter breeze to play through, especially with the inclusion of the M9 pistol, which I used almost exclusively for all of my takedowns when given the chance, this made my no-kill run inevitable. I also skipped a good few codec calls and a couple of cutscenes I knew I never needed to watch, since they were so fresh in my mind from playing the original game immediately prior to this one.

Compared to MGS1, the voice-acting was very bad across the board - - incredibly phoned-in, which was disappointing.

Everything else, in my opinion, was perfect.

This was a very well-done remake, and I really wanted it to come to Switch. I got tired hoping and waiting.

Delighted I got to play it now.

Completion Time: 05:05:26
    Saves Used: 9
    Died: 6 times
    Alerts: 13 times
    Enemies Killed: 0
    Rations Used: 20

I could've done better in terms of my saves and rations, but there were moments I just got lazy.

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    METAL GEAR SOLID: THE TWIN SNAKES|NINTENDO GAMECUBE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Game: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    Platform: PlayStation 3

My last gameplay beat was an hour and 10 minutes before I saw the end credits.

wait.. it took you 1 hours and 10 minutes to complete the game?! :eek:

wait.. it took you 1 hours and 10 minutes to complete the game?! :eek:
    No I'm saying from the final moment I had of actual gameplay to the end credits was 1 hour and 10 minutes, in other words, the final cutscene was 1 hour and 10 minutes long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

No I'm saying from the final moment I had of actual gameplay to the end credits was 1 hour and 10 minutes, in other words, the final cutscene was 1 hour and 10 minutes long.

That's a crazy length of time for a cut scene. Are you able to pause the cut scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

My bad. I remember now. The ending is really long.
    Decent game. At least it had a story compared to the 5th. Me no likely story that I have to listen to from audio cassettes.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    That's a crazy length of time for a cut scene. Are you able to pause the cut scenes?

Thankfully, yeah, you can pause and skip the cutscenes if you wish.
    My bad. I remember now. The ending is really long.
    Decent game. At least it had a story compared to the 5th. Me no likely story that I have to listen to from audio cassettes.

Yeah I suppose storywise it isn't as jarring as MGS5's. I think MGS5 was trying to push more for the story to be told via those aforementioned tapes. Some like them, some don't. Personally it depends on what mood I'm in. Just like the codecs, sometimes I can't be bothered and just skip through it, especially if I've played the game enough times which, with the Metal Gear series, I have played sooooo many times. Love the series as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Another one to add into my PS4 list:

PS4

Horizon: Zero Dawn - great, great game, really loved the story, the world and most of the gameplay. My type of gaming experience :D
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered - the first Uncharted I've played; I noticed quite a few people saying that this first one is a bit weak and maybe to skip it in favour of the sequel, but I quite enjoyed it! A male Lara Croft is what I expected and just what I got :D Straight onto number two now...

Nintendo Switch

Celeste - fairly difficult platformer; was thrilled/surprised to finish it without needing to resort to the 'easy mode' help, was very enjoyable for what it was. And really suited the Switch's portability I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I generally struggle to find good single player mobile games (well free ones anyway) but I enjoyed Stranger Things: The Game a lot. It took me just over 6 hours to complete with 78% completion. It's reminiscent of the older Zelda games with heart pieces to collect, dungeons to complete and characters with abilities to unlock. Very enjoyable game to play on the go.

Game|Platform
    Assassins Creed Origins|PlayStation 4
    Assassins Creed Odyssey|PlayStation 4
    God of War| PlayStation 4
    Spyro The Dragon| PlayStation 4
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Revenge| PlayStation 4
    Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon| PlayStation 4
    Spider Man| PlayStation 4
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Eventide 3: Legacy of Legends| PlayStation 4
    Grim Legends 3: The Dark City| PlayStation 4
    Spider Man DLC: The City That Never Sleeps| PlayStation 4
    Flower| PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
    Knack| PlayStation 4
    Bastion| PlayStation Vita
    The Lego Movie Videogame| PlayStation Vita
    Virginia| PlayStation 4
    What Remains of Edith Finch| PlayStation 4
    Noir Chronicles: City of Crime| PlayStation 4
    Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham| PlayStation 4
    Red Johnson's Chronicles: One Against All| PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
    Stranger Things: The Game| Android Mobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Battlefield V - PS4
    Spyro - PS4
    Red faction - PS4
    Yakuza zero - PS4
    Dmc 5 - PS4
    Resident evil 2 - PS4
    Shadow warrior - PS4
    Red dead redemption 2 - PS4
    Fifa 19 - PS4
    Life is strange - PS4
    Split Second - Xbox 360
    Tomb raider legend - Xbox 360
    Soma - PS4
    Turok - Xbox one

Spiderman - PS4

Game: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    Platform: Nintendo GameCube

Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

It's essentially MGS1 if it was played the same as MGS2. All of MGS2's gameplay tropes are in here, first-person aiming and all.

All of that made the game a complete and utter breeze to play through, especially with the inclusion of the M9 pistol, which I used almost exclusively for all of my takedowns when given the chance, this made my no-kill run inevitable. I also skipped a good few codec calls and a couple of cutscenes I knew I never needed to watch, since they were so fresh in my mind from playing the original game immediately prior to this one.

Compared to MGS1, the voice-acting was very bad across the board - - incredibly phoned-in, which was disappointing.

Everything else, in my opinion, was perfect.

This was a very well-done remake, and I really wanted it to come to Switch. I got tired hoping and waiting.

Delighted I got to play it now.

Completion Time: 05:05:26
    Saves Used: 9
    Died: 6 times
    Alerts: 13 times
    Enemies Killed: 0
    Rations Used: 20

I could've done better in terms of my saves and rations, but there were moments I just got lazy.

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4

Genuinely curious, what do you use as a measure for beating FIFA? I used to just keep playing until the next one came out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished Detroit Become Human. Really enjoyed it. Has most of the same flaws games of that type have (illusion of choice, ambiguous options that mean you pick/say something you didn't mean, some busywork), but overall it was far better than Heavy Rain was. Performances were outstanding throughout.

[Xbox One]

Borderlands: Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (DLC)

Good DLC, Got to beat a few past
    boss fights
    again.

Kalico92 wrote: »
    Genuinely curious, what do you use as a measure for beating FIFA? I used to just keep playing until the next one came out

The latter 3 FIFA instalments had a story mode to play through

Game: DOOM ('93)
    Platform: PlayStation 4

I hated FPS games throughout my childhood.
    Wolfenstein, Alien Trilogy, Dark Forces, and even Doom.

I did not enjoy the look of them nor how they played.

I tried Doom a second time when it was ported to the 360. Still couldn't grasp it - and this was after I learned to enjoy the genre.

I tried again this weekend when I got it on PS4.

It was actually a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it this time. It's actually after encouraging me to get the sequel and also perhaps try some more classic FPS games - maybe I'll appreciate them more. Duke Nukem 3D is also on my radar.

There's nothing I can say about Doom itself, really. We all know what it is.

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    DOOM (93)|PLAYSTATION 4

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mario Maker 2 - finished story mode with all extra Nintendo made levels done as well

Just finished Legacy 2: The Prisoner on android mobile. Fun little hidden object puzzle game. Grand free game to play on the way to work!

Game|Platform
    Assassins Creed Origins|PlayStation 4
    Assassins Creed Odyssey|PlayStation 4
    God of War| PlayStation 4
    Spyro The Dragon| PlayStation 4
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Revenge| PlayStation 4
    Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon| PlayStation 4
    Spider Man| PlayStation 4
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Eventide 3: Legacy of Legends| PlayStation 4
    Grim Legends 3: The Dark City| PlayStation 4
    Spider Man DLC: The City That Never Sleeps| PlayStation 4
    Flower| PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
    Knack| PlayStation 4
    Bastion| PlayStation Vita
    The Lego Movie Videogame| PlayStation Vita
    Virginia| PlayStation 4
    What Remains of Edith Finch| PlayStation 4
    Noir Chronicles: City of Crime| PlayStation 4
    Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham| PlayStation 4
    Red Johnson's Chronicles: One Against All| PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
    Stranger Things: The Game| Android Mobile
    Legacy 2: The Prisoner| Android Mobile

Advertisement