Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Overheal wrote: »
    Won a governorship in Kentucky, where Trump carried by 30 points in 2016. I’d like to hope that translates to a strong senate challenge against McConnel.

Hard to know about that one , GOP won every other big position quite comfortably - Attorney General , State Secretary etc.

Does it actually mean anything for the GOP/Dems at Presidential level or was it just that the incumbent was hugely unpopular?

Having said that , McConnell might have reason to worry - His popularity numbers are currently at similar levels to the now out-going Governor.

On a side note - I see that the woman made famous a while back when she was photographed cycling past Trump and giving him the finger just got elected as a Democrat in Virginia , unseating an incumbent GOP member.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    Won a governorship in Kentucky, where Trump carried by 30 points in 2016. I’d like to hope that translates to a strong senate challenge against McConnel.

The Governor won by a much smaller margin in that election, he wasn't as popular as Trump to begin with, and that ignores the opposition he faced that year.

As Quin notes, other positions went Red. They got the first Republican attorney-general in two decades out of it, he showed up at, and was endorsed by Trump at, the same event where Trump endorsed the governor. News articles saying Cameron's being groomed to run for Governor in the next election cycle, and maybe to take over McConnell's seat when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ihatewhahabies

This is a lot of the reason Biden is the clear winner. Theres an election to be won here and extremism is not the answer.

If biden becomes the dems nominee i will eat my hat....

I think the dems attack on trump on the ukraine issue has truely backfired on Biden...He is way too vulnerable to attack on using his position to get employment (lucrative) for his son Hunter.....Not a shooting offence to look after one's son but to abuse his power is a political offence

• Registered Users Posts: 81,804 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2017, 2018, 2019, three years of elections where Democrats have landed striking wins, retaking governorships, chambers, and states.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/06/election-years-under-trump-decisive-gop-losses/

This is a lot of the reason Biden is the clear winner. Theres an election to be won here and extremism is not the answer.

If biden becomes the dems nominee i will eat my hat....

I think the dems attack on trump on the ukraine issue has truely backfired on Biden...He is way too vulnerable to attack on using his position to get employment (lucrative) for his son Hunter.....Not a shooting offence to look after one's son but to abuse his power is a political offence

Against nepotism in the Trump clan it’s a moot set of attacks. His children are 2nd and 3rd generation silver spoons and one or two have offices in the White House. Jared Kushner is his own set of attacks on the President, including the murder of Kashoggi.

• Advertisement

The Kentucky GOP/Mitch McConnell just thrust his Senate contender into the national spotlight. Matt Jones hosts a sports talk radio program that is syndicated online and across the country. He’s been yanked from the airwaves overnight by an FEC complaint filed by the Kentucky GOP.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/furious-kentuckians-blame-mitch-mcconnell-after-fec-complaint-knocks-potential-challenger-off-the-airwaves/

Not that I think the complaint lacks merit, they just managed to have the whole thing blow up on them because the GOP took out everyone’s favorite broadcaster - including apparently thousands of upset Republican and Conservative Kentucky voters who are now incredibly fed up with Mitch’s **** apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So news is that Michael Bloomberg is about to enter the race (by filing paperwork in Alabama before today's deadline to be included on the Dem primary ballot).

He thinks Biden is too weak and that Sanders and Warren are too left wing.

I'd agree with him on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So news is that Michael Bloomberg is about to enter the race (by filing paperwork in Alabama before today's deadline to be included on the Dem primary ballot).

He thinks Biden is too weak and that Sanders and Warren are too left wing.

I'd agree with him on that.

Nothing incentives a multi-billionaire to enter a race like a modest wealth tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd wonder what changed so much for him, or if this was always his plan. He's a shrewd man, he carried out his research beforehand and decided against the run was all the talk.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'd wonder what changed so much for him, or if this was always his plan. He's a shrewd man, he carried out his research beforehand and decided against the run was all the talk.

Warren peaked, Bernie far behind and pandering to radical activists now to keep them off his back, his policy on migration recently released is a wall st wet dream though they are it otherwise

Biden is holding but appears to do so despite himself, no passion in that campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He's gonna make "Pokemon Go To The Polls" sound fresh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is there a single poll that shows this as anything more than a vanity project, wrapped in panic over Warren/Sanders? Bloomberg can't seriously think himself a contender? Does remind that for all the talk, money still parachutes any old eejit into the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Is the risk that he ultimately runs as an independent & dilutes the Dem vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is there a single poll that shows this as anything more than a vanity project, wrapped in panic over Warren/Sanders? Bloomberg can't seriously think himself a contender? Does remind that for all the talk, money still parachutes any old eejit into the race.

I dunno, Bloomberg is no dope. I'm not sure of the precise motivations or what he's at but a vanity project I would doubt. In all honesty though who knows!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I dunno, Bloomberg is no dope. I'm not sure of the precise motivations or what he's at but a vanity project I would doubt. In all honesty though who knows!

I don't quite get it..

To be honest all he does here is take support away from Biden and maybe consolidates some of the support that sit outside Biden/Warren/Sanders

How many people currently supporting Warren or Sanders are going to be switched to Bloomberg?

I don't see him getting the nomination..

2 NY Billionaires (well 1 actual billionaire and 1 alleged billionaire) facing off for President?

Can't see it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Bloomberg leaps straight into 6th fav on the markets, for the POTUS, also can't see the money-man winning.
    Also sends out the wrong message, establishing that it helps to be a $billionaire to win the race for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

If Bloomberg runs, it changes the game completely.

I personally think he would make a very good president.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Danzy wrote: »
    Warren peaked, Bernie far behind and pandering to radical activists now to keep them off his back, his policy on migration recently released is a wall st wet dream though they are it otherwise

Biden is holding but appears to do so despite himself, no passion in that campaign.

Biden is still beating trump in every head to head poll about.

I don't like Biden but his base is holding up.

Bloomberg could throw his weight behind Mayor Pete, Amy K or the numerous other centerist options but this really seems a vulgar run.

I think Warren and Bernie will be delighted to have him on stage to tear him apart, heck even Trump will be happy to see him in the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and now Michael Bloomberg, is there nobody under 75 who could win for the democrats anymore?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Last democrat who won was under 75 .... so I say yes they are capable of winning ...and the one before that was also under 75

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A mix of money and sheer determination. The "kids" have no political or financial base to plausibly run a successful campaign.

Look at the GOP - Trump - old rich, George W Bush - son of a president, Bush snr VP to Reagan - who was an old rich guy.

At least the Democrats managed to get Clinton and Obama elected when only middle aged and not independently wealthy to any great degree.

The whole system is now skewed so badly there's literally a handful of people who can become the President of the USA.

double

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Zird wrote: »
    Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and now Michael Bloomberg, is there nobody under 75 who could win for the democrats anymore?:confused:

They're all only a couple of years older than Trump?

duploelabs wrote: »
    They're all only a couple of years older than Trump?

Mental issues can occur at a much younger age as we are all witnessing at the moment ... so age is plays only a part

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

This thread is pure fantasy. Trump is winning in 2020 no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A mix of money and sheer determination. The "kids" have no political or financial base to plausibly run a successful campaign.

Look at the GOP - Trump - old rich, George W Bush - son of a president, Bush snr VP to Reagan - who was an old rich guy.

At least the Democrats managed to get Clinton and Obama elected when only middle aged and not independently wealthy to any great degree.

The whole system is now skewed so badly there's literally a handful of people who can become the President of the USA.
    There's also not a lot of political road after the Presidency, it's kind of a "retirement" gig. You get in, do 4-8 years, get out, do a bunch of books and speaking arrangements and fade off quietly. I can't think of a lot of people in their 30s, 40s or 50s that are thinking along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

This thread is pure fantasy. Trump is winning in 2020 no contest.

Care for a wager?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Care for a wager?
    I'm not even so sure he'll make it to Christmas at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not even so sure he'll make it to Christmas at this stage.

It has been said in the main thread about the President, but until the GOP polls start showing any waiver in support, there's zero chance of the party turning against Trump. Every impeachment and general poll of support has remained string among GOPers, and there's no chance either House will risk their own re-election prospects. The 2 party system is as incurably partisan as Celtic v Rangers at this stage, with all the subtly and nuance of that rivalry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Care for a wager?
    Many of us are still counting the winning change from this type of 'bravado' from a few years ago, Backing Trump about 10/1 on election night was sweeeeet.

From memory another poster (Moneymad) I thinks, backed DT early at 25/1, that thread (closed now) is a real fun read.

Of course his continued success, leaves little room for big early profits any longer. The best price is short, around evens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement