Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superleague 2010 - The Banter Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I'm still mystified by some of Mclennans comments and we don't seem to have the talent coming through as before (perhaps you can let me know how the academy is looking?).

Really don't know enough about the academy side to make an informed comment, but on Friday night we had Chris Clarkson, a teenage second row forward on one wing and Michael Coady a centre from Bristol who's never player SL level rugby on the other, and both were hopelessly out classed. The latest news is that we've approached Wasps to try and get Lee Smith back for a while and Hetherington is looking to recruit another player on a short term deal 'before Easter', who this is no one seems to know. The good news is that Hall, Buderus and Bailey will be back for the Wigan game, but I reckon it could be an ugly evening for us....

Edit: Some good news at last: peacock's injury's not as bad as first thought, only out for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'll probably sky+ the Wigan v Leeds match as I won't have a chance to watch it. The injuries are definitely a bit of a worry and I agree with Wakey in regards to Mclennans inaction and the first time he's been under pressure.

I aren't sure we'll go the same route as Hull and Bradford (and even Wigan before that) as we do have the players and money to get us through this difficult period. Saying that, I still remember the first season of super league and how we nearly got relegated. I pray to God that it never gets that bad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Danny Brough is now officially a Giant.

Whilst I wish Broughy well I have a strong suspicion that things may not work out all hunky dory down at the Galpharm:pac:

Broughy is a feisty character that ruffles feathers and Nathan Brown may well not have the same calming influence and respect that Kear had.

How Robinson, Brown, Lunt and Drew react to his arrival will be very interesting:p

WakeyTyke wrote: »

How Robinson, Brown, Lunt and Drew react to his arrival will be very interesting:p

Now there's an interesting point, you'd have to say Huddersfield are purring as is, but if it works I think it may take Huddersfield up to the top level of SL...

Know its early,early days but who'd bet against a Wigan/Giants GF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Harlequins RL facebook page has a competition to win the 2009-2010 Gillette Rugby League Yearbook.

You just have to reply to one of the messages (after you become a fan of Quins RL!!!!).

Possibly too long winded to bother but thought I would mention it.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/quinsrl?ref=nf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Interesting Article on Leeds:
    Having lost four of their opening seven games in Super League XV, should Leeds be worried about their chances of getting to the Grand Final again. Some fans are saying that Leeds always start slowly, and come good at the 'business end' of the season, but for the last two seasons Leeds have made it to the Grand Final - and won it - having only lost six games all year. If Leeds are going to emulate that achievement this year, they can only lose another two games in their remaining 20.
    To contest the final, the average amount of games lost (in the regular season) by eventual Grand Finalists (winners and runners-up) is a miserly 5.3, although that has risen to 6.0 since 2005.
    The most games a team has ever lost in a season, and still won the Grand Final is nine - a feat managed only by Bradford, when they went on to beat Leeds in 2005. Other than that, Leeds themselves won the competition in 2007, after losing eight regular season games. Even to match that revised target this season, would mean Leeds winning - or at least not losing - 16 out of the last 20 matches.
    19 wins out of 27 weekly rounds could be a good enough record to get them to the final, but it is rarely the record of champions. In fact, only on those two occasions mentioned has a team won the competition after losing more than seven games prior to the play-offs.

Incidentally, the least number of games lost by a team going on to win the Grand Final, is two. That feat was achieved by Wigan, in winning the first ever Grand Final 1998, and again by Leeds in 2004. Wigan however, did it in a season of only 23 games, whereas Leeds played 28 weekly rounds.

Bit of good news for Leeds, Lee Smith has quit the dark side to return to Leeds, probably to start back up with the Rhinos.

BBC Link

Rugby league convert Lee Smith has been released from his contract at Wasps after just two senior appearances for the Guinness Premiership club.

The 22-year-old centre asked to leave for personal reasons and intends to return to his hometown of Leeds.

Smith switched codes in December but was approached by his former club Leeds Rhinos last week about a loan return.

"I thank Wasps for the opportunity to play rugby union. Unfortunately things haven't worked out for me," he said.

"I have made some good friends at Wasps and I would like to wish the players and coaching staff all the best for the remainder of the season."

Wasps director of rugby Tony Hanks added: "We support Lee's desire to return home to his family and we thank him for his efforts - making two senior appearances against Newcastle and Scarlets, as well as two run outs with the A League.

"Everyone at Wasps wishes him the very best in the next stage of his career."

Smith crossed codes after playing for England in the Four Nations tournament and following a Grand Final win with Rhinos over St Helens in October.

Super League strugglers Leeds are keen to bring their former star back following a spate of injuries at Headingley that has blighted their campaign so far.

"We will look to speak to him and see what his plans are," said a Rhinos spokesman.

Harlequins are getting their main man back so maybe they might turn the corner this week. Rob Purdham is back for the game against the Crusaders.

Link

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Bit of good news for Leeds, Lee Smith has quit the dark side to return to Leeds, probably to start back up with the Rhinos.
    Thank the Gods of RL, great news, apparently A few other RL clubs including Warrington were V. interested.
    Harlequins are getting their main man back so maybe they might turn the corner this week. Rob Purdham is back for the game against the Crusaders.
    Massive for Quins. Hope to God this is the start of the fightback. Can't be a single lover of the game who's not rooting for Quins at the moment.

There is apparently growing discontent amongst the ever dwindling home crowd at Harlequins, few signs at the last game with "Sack Mac".

Don't know whether a change is going to do us any favours but 2 wins out of the last 21 games played or 4 points in 9 months is not a record any coach can be proud of.

Can't really see where the next win is coming from, I think David Hughes might have to start thinking of a change soon.

McDermott certainly isn't thinking about resigning anyway. Linky

• Advertisement

4f551baf02ee3e1c864de65857ae377d.gif

Kevin Penny has signed for further months loan, he has been a success since moving down and popular with the fans. The only downer is he cant play in the Challenge Cup and can be recalled at any time by his parent club.

Link

Walters' abandoning ship at the dragons after this season;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/catalan/8707559.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

toomevara wrote: »

Can't believe I missed that, I noticed him out the last coupla weeks but didn't really think about it. Should be back for the play-offs though, sure that's the only time yous need him. :pac:

Would love to head over to Knowsley Road for a match this season, getting tickets a good bit in advance seems to be pretty hard alas.

Latest strong rumour is that Kear is heading to Catalans next season....

The Tigers have been fined 40 grand by the RFL for homophobic chanting directed at Gareth Thomas when he made the switch to RL.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

toomevara wrote: »
    The Tigers have been fined 40 grand by the RFL for homophobic chanting directed at Gareth Thomas when he made the switch to RL.

That will really hurt Cas. It's the last thing they need when they are trying to find funds for their proposed stadium.

Eastwood abandoning ship at Leeds, heading home to Oz. Never settled here, personally I blame last bleedin' winter, gave alot of these Aussie Jessies the willies ;) TBH, never really lived up to the hype....apart from the odd good showing.

Looks like Gareth Thomas is about to become a dual code international;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/8875028.stm

Advertisement