Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Superleague 2010 - The Banter Thread

• 02-02-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Thought I would start a thread where we can discuss general, non-specific news and gossip related to the greatest game.

I get the impression that Brian Carney is going to be a regular analyst/presenter on Sky Sports. This I feel would be a big boost for the game in Ireland, I also think he will be a good addition to the presenting team. What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Love Carney as a commentator. I've seen him on a number of different programs and he always comes across a s a knowledgeable pundit. I've been particularly impressed with some of his tactical analysis and he's got an easy convivial style which always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

This is Brian's view on the season ahead, published in last weeks Sky Sports Sportzine.

“Well I have decided against commenting on Warrington because everyone knows we are going to win! Leeds are going to be the team to beat though. They’ve added a great forward in Greg Eastwood and now have great strike power on their right with Brett Delaney. Throw in a fit again best-in-the-competition hooker, Danny Buderus, and you have a formidable team.

Winner: It’s hard to back anyone but the Rhinos again!

Play-offs: Bradford, Castleford, Huddersfield, Hull FC, Leeds, St Helens, Warrington, Wigan. (He's certainly got this one wrong;))

Man of Steel: Danny Buderus

Now I know why you are a fan of his Toome:D

WakeyTyke wrote: »

Now I know why you are a fan of his Toome:D

Ahem, yes, think we can all agree he's a fine judge of the game...;)

Does anyone else feel that the 1 match bans for Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Richard Moore were a bit harsh?

Whilst not condoning fighting on the pitch, these flash-point incidents occur, it's part-and-parcel of contact sport.

In this incident LMS (attempted) to head-butt Moore who threw one punch:eek:. There was no resulting mass brawl, no injuries.

Are we to assume that this is a new, zero-tolerance attitude to these incidents from referees or was Ian Smith being his usual over-zealous self and the RFL disciplinary committee are making an early season example of these two players?

In this incident LMS (attempted) to head-butt Moore who threw one punch:eek:. There was no resulting mass brawl, no injuries.

Are we to assume that this is a new, zero-tolerance attitude to these incidents from referees or was Ian Smith being his usual over-zealous self and the RFL disciplinary committee are making an early season example of these two players?

Saw the incident on Boots'n'All and thought the double red was a little harsh, but you could argue for it I guess. THe ugliest aspect of it for me was the LMS attempted glasgow kiss...guess it was something and nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Does anyone else feel that the 1 match bans for Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Richard Moore were a bit harsh?

Whilst not condoning fighting on the pitch, these flash-point incidents occur, it's part-and-parcel of contact sport.

Ridiculous really. Louie was a bit of a muppet, but as you say Wakey, one attempted head butt and a single punch was the whole incident in a nutshell. Red card is probably understandable from an officious Ref, fair enough,move one. But a ban? WAY OTT. And one less player for Quins for a week!

Going to be a new time keeping system introduced across the board this season:

http://www.rugbyleague.com/rugby-league-news/new-time-keeping-system-for-super.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Big game tonight

Cmon Bradford

Anyone reckon somewhere in Dublin will show this for me :rolleyes:

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Big game tonight

Cmon Bradford

Anyone reckon somewhere in Dublin will show this for me :rolleyes:

You'll be lucky...be interested to hear how you get on though....

toomevara wrote: »
    You'll be lucky...be interested to hear how you get on though....

May involve asking several places in the city centre, although theres an ireland a match on tonight isnt there? or some under 21s or some union rubbish :p

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    May involve asking several places in the city centre, although theres an ireland a match on tonight isnt there? or some under 21s or some union rubbish :p

Don't think thats on TV....but you'll still struggle!

toomevara wrote: »
    Don't think thats on TV....but you'll still struggle!

They used to show it in the UCD bars when i asked but only when it was quiet (generally was around weekends). Will prob have to be a stream :mad:

5 Catalans Dragons were arrested here in Leeds last night following a brawl in the centre of town.

Unfortunately, it seemed they were intent on taking the 'sore losers' tag too literally:(

Unfortunately, it seemed they were intent on taking the 'sore losers' tag too literally:(

Saw the highlights of the game on the super league show. Wakey played some lovely rugby, nice to see.

Sky+'d the new Boots'n'all Highlights show last night but haven't had time to watch it yet. I loved the quote from the club's website review of the match that said when we were good we were very, very good but when we were bad we gave away penalties!:)

Everyone has predicted how good Wires, Wigan, Hull and of course Leeds and Saints, are going to be this season but Wakey fans are genuinely excited by the squad of players Kear has assembled.

With a bit of good fortune we could pull off some big shocks (hopefully starting on Sunday;))

Sky+'d the new Boots'n'all Highlights show last night but haven't had time to watch it yet. I loved the quote from the club's website review of the match that said when we were good we were very, very good but when we were bad we gave away penalties!:)

Everyone has predicted how good Wires, Wigan, Hull and of course Leeds and Saints, are going to be this season but Wakey fans are genuinely excited by the squad of players Kear has assembled.

With a bit of good fortune we could pull off some big shocks (hopefully starting on Sunday;))

From the first weekend's showing I'd say Hull FC and Wakey have the most to be excited about. I'd worry for saints, looked rudderless against FC and you wonder, if, by losing Long, they've lost the guy who steered em round the pitch, the guy who provided the brain to all the brawn....

Well good news, Harlequins have had another player banned. Ryan Esders for a game for a dangerous throw. Players currently drawing lots to see who will be banned after the next round.

The Dragons have had a player banned for the match as well, Remi Casty, who cleaned out Paul Johnson big time with high shot on Sunday.

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Well good news, Harlequins have had another player banned. Ryan Esders for a game for a dangerous throw. Players currently drawing lots to see who will be banned after the next round.

A morsel of good news for Quins:) Esders has won his appeal against his one match ban and is free to play against the Dragons

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=16552

More good news for Quins (imagine how chuffed I will be when we win a game), but RFL chairman Mr Lewis is giving us a bit of love.

Super League needs Quins RL!!??

Lewis told BBC London 94.9: "We're putting in a lot of effort to help grow the game in the South East and London.

"Once we get people there, they will come back because it's a great sport."

He added: "We need to strike a balance and make sure that the Super League is seen by as many people as possible but at the same time recognizing that London and Harlequins are important to us," said Lewis.

Actually what is also good is the amount of time local radio in London seems to be giving to Rugby League too. Hopefully there will be a reasonable attendance against Catalans, on a Sunday, on a reasonably slow Football weekend.

I am at a loss why Quins can't draw a decent crowd:(

With the success of amateur RL development in London, the number of northern, Aussie and Kiwi RL fans currently living in London and the promotion it is getting :confused:

What is going wrong? Is it the Stoop's location?

i can never quite figure this out either, it certainly isn't for the want of trying. The Stoop itself is a great ground with excellent facilities, the location is a wee bit crap alright, that part of London is a bit quiet/twee....

With the success of amateur RL development in London, the number of northern, Aussie and Kiwi RL fans currently living in London and the promotion it is getting :confused:

Yeah, strange one. I think its ingrained as a "northern" sport, with even less history of Rugby League than parts of France, and so many football teams vying for peoples attention.

Stoop isn't a great for public transport. Tube gets you to Richmond, then the train. Not a big ordeal but apathetic punters probably use it as an excuse. The constant change of venue/name in the past has probably slowed growth. Aussie/Kiwis made up a large part of the early years of Broncos but you hear less of their accents these days (well, according to my sources as I only get to a game a year if I am lucky!!)

I think this year with the BBC local radio promoting it, and having a stable (and nice) venue we might seem some improvement (not holding breath though). If the W*nkers at the London Evening Standard acknowledged there was 2 codes for Rugby it would be a start.

They should def. always play on Sunday in Football season but they don't seem keen on that idea.

On a non-Quins note, Leeds Rhinos will be without the services of Carl Ablett for 8 weeks, bbc report of same here

Rhinos have lost Carl Ablett (8-10 weeks) and Brett Delaney (2 weeks +).

I am not sure how much Leeds will miss Ablett, he has yet to convince me that he is any more than a good club-standard player.

The loss of Brett Delaney will probably hurt more, he was looking like he could be a very effective try-scorer.

Wakey will welcome back Terry Newton and Richie Moore for the Leeds game, a welcome boost for the Wildcats in what will be a very tough forward battle.

Rhinos have lost Carl Ablett (8-10 weeks) and Brett Delaney (2 weeks +).

The loss of Brett Delaney will probably hurt more, he was looking like he could be a very effective try-scorer.

Totally agree, I like Ablett, solid journeyman, but I think the loss of Delaney is definitely a bigger blow.

Well here we go again:mad:

The RFL Disciplinary Committee again shows that the punishments it hands out are totally inconsistent, arbitary and open to accusations of bias.

Richard Moore gets a one match ban and a £300 fine for throwing one punch, David Ferriol throws a few punches and gets sending-off sufficient a £250 fine:rolleyes:

One can't help but admire someone who can turn optimism into an art form.

Take a bow Steve McNamara. If Gordon Brown or Brian Cowens needs a quality spin-doctor, to talk a recession into the boom-times, Steve's your man.

So his current revelation is that the drubbing by the Saints was actually a good thing for the Bulls and will be the making of his team:eek:

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=16616

Does he genuinely believe that?

Can someone explain his logic to me? All I see is a team bereft of ideas, confidence and the essential systems and structures to operate by.

By blaming the players he is abdicating his responsibilities as coach and, on the contrary, I can only see things getting worse.

• Advertisement

The RFL have handed a £5,000 fine to the Crusaders over the debacle of 6 Aussie players, who were playing for them last season without proper work visas.

Can't help but think that if this had been an established SL club the fine would have been more like £50,000, but the RFL didn't want to risk upsetting or destabilizing the new Crusaders set-up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/super_league/celtic_crusaders/8531529.stm

Yep, probably the best thing the RFL can do at this point is draw a line under the whole "Celtic" Crusaders affair, treat the North-Walians as a separate entity and hope that the encouraging early signs from Wrexham are borne out at the end of the season and that the Crusaders can make a go of it. Last thing they want to do now is hit them with a massive fine and de-stabilise the whole thing...

Quins have signed on loan the forward Kyle Bibb from Wakefield, just wondered if he is any good Wakey?

BBC link

To be honest at Wakey Bibb has been a disappointment.

A couple a seasons ago, when he broke into the first-team at 21, he looked like he could develop into a first-rate prop, but unfortunately he just hasn't pushed on at all. Whilst he has the physical attributes and can tackle well he seems to lack the real aggression that is needed to drive the ball in hard.

Most Wakey fans consider he doesn't give his all when he goes out on the pitch, which hasn't endeared him to the fans. He probably knows that and a change to a new club could be good for him and Quins.

The fact that he would be meeting up with old team mates Olly Wilkes and Jason Golden should help him in settle and hopefully Brian Mc can put some passion into him. Hope he goes well for you.

The word on the street is that Danny Brough will be signing for Huddersfield this week:mad:

Apparently, despite long negotiations and a lot of money on the table, Broughy wont sign a new contract to keep him at Wakey next season.

The Giants, who have long been linked with him, are prepared to pay a fee (plus/or player exchange) as well as meet his demands. Clearly money is very important to Broughy as it was revealed that he was declared bankrupt last November.

The word on the street is that Danny Brough will be signing for Huddersfield this week:mad:

Alas, this is looking more and more like a done deal. Suppose you can't blame the guy given his parlous financial situation...not good for the fans though.

Greenshields out for the dragons for 3 months with a broken leg. Big Blow for the French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I saw the Greenshields injury and it was all pretty much nothing. Just one of those things I suppose that can happen playing rugby.

As regards Wakey and their money situation, would they have been better merging with Cas when the Super League era was just starting? A Cas/Wakey team on paper would stand a better chance of challenging than if they remain as seperate entities. I know it's not something the fans would initailly like but perhaps it's the only way that a super league club can be sustained long term.

As regards Wakey and their money situation, would they have been better merging with Cas when the Super League era was just starting? A Cas/Wakey team on paper would stand a better chance of challenging than if they remain as seperate entities. I know it's not something the fans would initailly like but perhaps it's the only way that a super league club can be sustained long term.

Totally agree, the only rational way forward imo, but given the feeling on the ground can't see it happening except in extremis.

Wakey are not short of cash.

Brough was offered £150,000 a year to stay. Huddersfield it seems are offering £170,000.

Is he worth that? That's another question.

Just listening to the news on the radio, Wakey are saying Brough will only move if its in the interests of the club. Whatever that means.....

Brough was offered £150,000 a year to stay. Huddersfield it seems are offering £170,000.

Fair enough. You can just merge with Fev instead then :-)

He's not worth that much money, but how much will Cooke cost to relace him?

• Advertisement

I am not really up to speed on transfer fees in RL, is that a lot of money? If I had the choice between Brough and Cooke, I would definitely keep Brough.

RE: The trials and tribulations at Harlequins, the sack McDermott calls becoming louder on faceache, not many members yet (but not many fans of Quins generally!!!) but 2 groups have just started up. Sadly one my favourite former players has joined the "McDermott out" groups, Matt Gafa.

I keep asking for them to suggest other candidates if they do get their way but none forthcoming.

It has been said that Huddersfield don't pay transfer fees, in which case they would have to offer player exchange. Kear knows which areas of his squad need strengthening, so he will have picked the Giants players he wants, whether Brown is willing to let those players leave is probably a stumbling block.

Added to that Wakey wont want to risk taking any Giants player who may be under police investigation.

Brough is under contract till the end of season so Wakey are in no hurry to resolve this issue.

Just to change the topic slightly...

McClennan believes that Super League is getting tougher and that's why Leeds have a 50% record this year. Is it? or is McClennan making excuses about finally being found out over his failure to replace key players who have left/lost form over the last few years?

Not stirring just looking for debate.

Just to change the topic slightly...

McClennan believes that Super League is getting tougher and that's why Leeds have a 50% record this year. Is it? or is McClennan making excuses about finally being found out over his failure to replace key players who have left/lost form over the last few years?

Not stirring just looking for debate.

Interesting take on our current travails. Unfortunately due to work I've not managed to see Leeds live this year to my shame, but all thats going to change on Friday night when I head to Headingley to watch us take on KR. Perhaps I can give a more informed view post match.

One thing I would say (and not as an excuse) is that the pitch at headingley is a shock, there's hardly a blade of grass on the thing, a total mudbath, and I reckon Leeds will play better there once the weather improves and the track hardens up.

But certainly something is badly amiss defensively this year, and from what I've read we've lost fluency and cohesion, playing only sporadically. A mate who was at the Huddersfield game reliably informs me that we chucked it away...

The headingley pitch has always been shocking though to be fair. I suppose it doesn't help either with the Tykes ploughing the pitch week in week out.

I think the team is just being found out. IMO they have not got the best players in any position in Super League (Barring perhaps Peacock) and rely on being a good all round team with no weak spots. Unfortunately these are surfacing this season and the injuries aren't helping either with Watkins confirmed as being out for a while today.

Looks like Catalans are struggling to hold onto Mogg, who's looking to get back to Oz. Going from bad to worse or the Dragons. He's be a huge loss. No Bosc, no Greenshields and potentially no Mogg....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/catalan/8571974.stm

Also looks like the Crusaders may have signed former Ulster fullback Clinton Schifoske....

mogg will be a massive loss for Catalan, but if he is truly homesick then they should be looking to release him. Gonna be a real struggle this year for them.

Crusaders also rumoured to be in for Gavin Henson. Noble denying it but that may be due to ongoing discussions in regards to fake tan.

So after over 4 years at Catalan Mogg has now become home-sick:rolleyes:

Perhaps there is also a little unrest in the Dragon's camp and Mogg wants out, especially given that Canberra are expressing an interest in him. Doesn't seem like Walters is going to stand in his way.

Rumour has it that they are interested in Paul Cooke as a replacement:eek:

Certainly these are tough times in the south of France.

So after over 4 years at Catalan Mogg has now become home-sick:rolleyes:

Perhaps there is also a little unrest in the Dragon's camp and Mogg wants out, especially given that Canberra are expressing an interest in him. Doesn't seem like Walters is going to stand in his way.

Rumour has it that they are interested in Paul Cooke as a replacement:eek:

Certainly these are tough times in the south of France.

It happens though, if i was offered a job back in Leeds paying similar to Ireland then that might be enough to make me home sick. Like you say, walters isn't going to stop him.

Is Cooke that good anymore? My impression seems to be that he is past it.

Really feel for Catalan to be honest. I want expansion to work and the Crusaders, Dragons and Quins haven't been the best adverts so far.

Really feel for Catalan to be honest. I want expansion to work and the Crusaders, Dragons and Quins haven't been the best adverts so far.

I think the attendances at the Dragons and Crusaders have been good, despite very indifferent results, so that is a small positive for expansion, cant say the same about Quins sadly.

I will worry about expansion and smaller clubs if league looks the same at the end of the season, Crusaders, Salford, Catalan, Harlequins RL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement