Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superleague 2010 - The Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Yep, probably the best thing the RFL can do at this point is draw a line under the whole "Celtic" Crusaders affair, treat the North-Walians as a separate entity and hope that the encouraging early signs from Wrexham are borne out at the end of the season and that the Crusaders can make a go of it. Last thing they want to do now is hit them with a massive fine and de-stabilise the whole thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Quins have signed on loan the forward Kyle Bibb from Wakefield, just wondered if he is any good Wakey?

BBC link

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

To be honest at Wakey Bibb has been a disappointment.

A couple a seasons ago, when he broke into the first-team at 21, he looked like he could develop into a first-rate prop, but unfortunately he just hasn't pushed on at all. Whilst he has the physical attributes and can tackle well he seems to lack the real aggression that is needed to drive the ball in hard.

Most Wakey fans consider he doesn't give his all when he goes out on the pitch, which hasn't endeared him to the fans. He probably knows that and a change to a new club could be good for him and Quins.

The fact that he would be meeting up with old team mates Olly Wilkes and Jason Golden should help him in settle and hopefully Brian Mc can put some passion into him. Hope he goes well for you.

The word on the street is that Danny Brough will be signing for Huddersfield this week:mad:

Apparently, despite long negotiations and a lot of money on the table, Broughy wont sign a new contract to keep him at Wakey next season.

The Giants, who have long been linked with him, are prepared to pay a fee (plus/or player exchange) as well as meet his demands. Clearly money is very important to Broughy as it was revealed that he was declared bankrupt last November.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    The word on the street is that Danny Brough will be signing for Huddersfield this week:mad:

Alas, this is looking more and more like a done deal. Suppose you can't blame the guy given his parlous financial situation...not good for the fans though.

Greenshields out for the dragons for 3 months with a broken leg. Big Blow for the French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I saw the Greenshields injury and it was all pretty much nothing. Just one of those things I suppose that can happen playing rugby.

As regards Wakey and their money situation, would they have been better merging with Cas when the Super League era was just starting? A Cas/Wakey team on paper would stand a better chance of challenging than if they remain as seperate entities. I know it's not something the fans would initailly like but perhaps it's the only way that a super league club can be sustained long term.

As regards Wakey and their money situation, would they have been better merging with Cas when the Super League era was just starting? A Cas/Wakey team on paper would stand a better chance of challenging than if they remain as seperate entities. I know it's not something the fans would initailly like but perhaps it's the only way that a super league club can be sustained long term.

Totally agree, the only rational way forward imo, but given the feeling on the ground can't see it happening except in extremis.

Wakey are not short of cash.

Brough was offered £150,000 a year to stay. Huddersfield it seems are offering £170,000.

Is he worth that? That's another question.

Just listening to the news on the radio, Wakey are saying Brough will only move if its in the interests of the club. Whatever that means.....

Brough was offered £150,000 a year to stay. Huddersfield it seems are offering £170,000.

Fair enough. You can just merge with Fev instead then :-)

He's not worth that much money, but how much will Cooke cost to relace him?

• Advertisement

I am not really up to speed on transfer fees in RL, is that a lot of money? If I had the choice between Brough and Cooke, I would definitely keep Brough.

RE: The trials and tribulations at Harlequins, the sack McDermott calls becoming louder on faceache, not many members yet (but not many fans of Quins generally!!!) but 2 groups have just started up. Sadly one my favourite former players has joined the "McDermott out" groups, Matt Gafa.

I keep asking for them to suggest other candidates if they do get their way but none forthcoming.

It has been said that Huddersfield don't pay transfer fees, in which case they would have to offer player exchange. Kear knows which areas of his squad need strengthening, so he will have picked the Giants players he wants, whether Brown is willing to let those players leave is probably a stumbling block.

Added to that Wakey wont want to risk taking any Giants player who may be under police investigation.

Brough is under contract till the end of season so Wakey are in no hurry to resolve this issue.

Just to change the topic slightly...

McClennan believes that Super League is getting tougher and that's why Leeds have a 50% record this year. Is it? or is McClennan making excuses about finally being found out over his failure to replace key players who have left/lost form over the last few years?

Not stirring just looking for debate.

Just to change the topic slightly...

McClennan believes that Super League is getting tougher and that's why Leeds have a 50% record this year. Is it? or is McClennan making excuses about finally being found out over his failure to replace key players who have left/lost form over the last few years?

Not stirring just looking for debate.

Interesting take on our current travails. Unfortunately due to work I've not managed to see Leeds live this year to my shame, but all thats going to change on Friday night when I head to Headingley to watch us take on KR. Perhaps I can give a more informed view post match.

One thing I would say (and not as an excuse) is that the pitch at headingley is a shock, there's hardly a blade of grass on the thing, a total mudbath, and I reckon Leeds will play better there once the weather improves and the track hardens up.

But certainly something is badly amiss defensively this year, and from what I've read we've lost fluency and cohesion, playing only sporadically. A mate who was at the Huddersfield game reliably informs me that we chucked it away...

The headingley pitch has always been shocking though to be fair. I suppose it doesn't help either with the Tykes ploughing the pitch week in week out.

I think the team is just being found out. IMO they have not got the best players in any position in Super League (Barring perhaps Peacock) and rely on being a good all round team with no weak spots. Unfortunately these are surfacing this season and the injuries aren't helping either with Watkins confirmed as being out for a while today.

Looks like Catalans are struggling to hold onto Mogg, who's looking to get back to Oz. Going from bad to worse or the Dragons. He's be a huge loss. No Bosc, no Greenshields and potentially no Mogg....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/catalan/8571974.stm

Also looks like the Crusaders may have signed former Ulster fullback Clinton Schifoske....

mogg will be a massive loss for Catalan, but if he is truly homesick then they should be looking to release him. Gonna be a real struggle this year for them.

Crusaders also rumoured to be in for Gavin Henson. Noble denying it but that may be due to ongoing discussions in regards to fake tan.

So after over 4 years at Catalan Mogg has now become home-sick:rolleyes:

Perhaps there is also a little unrest in the Dragon's camp and Mogg wants out, especially given that Canberra are expressing an interest in him. Doesn't seem like Walters is going to stand in his way.

Rumour has it that they are interested in Paul Cooke as a replacement:eek:

Certainly these are tough times in the south of France.

So after over 4 years at Catalan Mogg has now become home-sick:rolleyes:

Perhaps there is also a little unrest in the Dragon's camp and Mogg wants out, especially given that Canberra are expressing an interest in him. Doesn't seem like Walters is going to stand in his way.

Rumour has it that they are interested in Paul Cooke as a replacement:eek:

Certainly these are tough times in the south of France.

It happens though, if i was offered a job back in Leeds paying similar to Ireland then that might be enough to make me home sick. Like you say, walters isn't going to stop him.

Is Cooke that good anymore? My impression seems to be that he is past it.

Really feel for Catalan to be honest. I want expansion to work and the Crusaders, Dragons and Quins haven't been the best adverts so far.

Really feel for Catalan to be honest. I want expansion to work and the Crusaders, Dragons and Quins haven't been the best adverts so far.

I think the attendances at the Dragons and Crusaders have been good, despite very indifferent results, so that is a small positive for expansion, cant say the same about Quins sadly.

I will worry about expansion and smaller clubs if league looks the same at the end of the season, Crusaders, Salford, Catalan, Harlequins RL.

• Advertisement

Paul Cooke is now officially a Wildcat and may play against Salford on Sunday (though personally I would be surprised if he did).

Looking likely that the Brough deal wont go through before the weekend.

Paul Cooke is now officially a Wildcat and may play against Salford on Sunday (though personally I would be surprised if he did).

Just watching the Lunchtime news, Cooke's gone into the squad for Salford. Whether he plays or not.....

Looking likely that the Brough deal wont go through before the weekend.

...and what's your opinion on the likelyhood of Cooke making a significant contribution to the Wildcats season?

I've a lot of time for Kear so I'll trust his judgement.

I honestly believe that John Kear will reignite the international level of performance that Paul Cooke showed he was capable off in his early Hull FC days.

JK can instill a self-belief and confidence in a player that takes them to the top of their game. There is a mutual trust and respect between JK and his players that ensures that they feel driven to perform at their best for him.

The proviso, of course, is that the player is prepared to commit themselves fully to the task of being a professional rugby player.

I honestly believe that John Kear will reignite the international level of performance that Paul Cooke showed he was capable off in his early Hull FC days.

If anyone can its got to be Kear. Cooke's a 'complex' character to say the least, but Kear seems to have the measure of him and brings the best out in him. This may be/probably is Cooke's SL swansong, and I'm sure one final good season at the top isn't beyond him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I always thought Cooke looks like a bouncer from a pub or something and definitely not a League player let alone a stand off! :p

When Cooke is on the top of his game there are few players who have his complete range of skills.

He is a wonderful distributor of the ball, either through pass or kick, plus he can also be very difficult to tackle with size and speed.

I think the team is just being found out. IMO they have not got the best players in any position in Super League (Barring perhaps Peacock) and rely on being a good all round team with no weak spots. Unfortunately these are surfacing this season and the injuries aren't helping either with Watkins confirmed as being out for a while today.

The scales have fallen from my eyes CDL, as abject a performance from a Leeds team in Headingley as I've seen in 5 years. Rudderless, clueless, error strewn. Some senior players look decidedly disinterested....Danny Maguire was anonymous, Senior was skinned on the wing twice, the only highlights were a superb display from Rob Burrow and an excellent showing from Webb at FB. Got to get Sinfield and Buderus back out there to get some direction and impetus. More unforced handling errors that I've ever seen a Rhinos out fit make in 80 mins. I know it was nothing like a full strength team but no excuse for such a woeful display.

I take nothing away from KR they played intelligent, percentage rugby league and were great value for the win, but I cant help thinking that we'd have beaten that team well last season. Looks like a struggle ahead further compounded by some bizarrely upbeat comments from Bluey in the aftermath....

toomevara wrote: »
    The scales have fallen from my eyes CDL, as abject a performance from a Leeds team in Headingley as I've seen in 5 years. Rudderless, clueless, error strewn. Some senior players look decidedly disinterested....Danny Maguire was anonymous, Senior was skinned on the wing twice, the only highlights were a superb display from Rob Burrow and an excellent showing from Webb at FB. Got to get Sinfield and Buderus back out there to get some direction and impetus. More unforced handling errors that I've ever seen a Rhinos out fit make in 80 mins. I know it was nothing like a full strength team but no excuse for such a woeful display.

I take nothing away from KR they played intelligent, percentage rugby league and were great value for the win, but I cant help thinking that we'd have beaten that team well last season. Looks like a struggle ahead further compounded by some bizarrely upbeat comments from Bluey in the aftermath....

I know that other fans call us 'Whino's' as we never seem to be happy with how things are going, and on the back of three GF wins it does look like complaining for the sake of it but something just isn't right.

Perhaps Sinfield is that missing piece and without him we are at best average. Senior should be either playing in the pack or be sent back to Sheffield. His distinct lack of pace was noticable last season and it was expected he would be moving to second row so it's a little unbelievable he's still being picked.

I'm still mystified by some of Mclennans comments and we don't seem to have the talent coming through as before (perhaps you can let me know how the academy is looking?).

• Advertisement

The current plight of Leeds is both unexpected and surprising.

Ok so the injury list is bad at the moment, but Leeds have been through these situations before, as have all clubs, and I don't think, in Leeds case, it can explain the slump in form.

What I would be concerned about if I was a Leeds fan is that this is the first time that McLennan has been under this type of pressure since he took over. He inherited a great, winning team and kept them winning, but, like all teams change has to, needs to, happen and perhaps the writing was on the wall at the end of last season but he didn't act on it. The squad needed fresh blood but didn't get it.

How Bluey now responds to this mini crisis will be the real test of just how good a coach he is, otherwise Leeds could well replicate what happened to both Hull and Bradford.

Advertisement