Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

You did well to root that out of the archives. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I can't take any of the credit Oisin Langan said it there on DubsTV during the senior 2 match - which is a tense one.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

M and M (Mullins and Mossy) did it for Vinnies. They managed to contain Slys and claw themselves back into the game only pulling away late on in the second half. I am not sure if Slys ran out of steam or if Vinnies upped it, or was it a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Naomh Barrog also playing in the senior 3 hurling final v clontarf next Saturday.

Could be a great 7 days for the club.

Enjoyable game. Very little between the sides. I felt Na Fianna were getting on top early in the second half but when they were two points up they hit 2 bad wides and kicked another good chance into the keepers hands. Should have gone 4 or 5 up and i dont think Crokes would have come back.

Those misses and a black card for Na Fianna seemed to kick Crokes into life and Shane Walsh kicked some vital scores. Craig Dias too.

Although Crokes went two ahead late on Na Fianna had their chances to force extra time but some wayward shooting deprived them.

A lot of talk when Shane Walsh moved to Crokes and it was some coup for the southside giants. Without him today the trophy would more than likely be heading to Glasnevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Shane Walsh in his post match interview......"When I came up from home yesterday". Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Probably an opportunity missed for Na Fianna.

However they were very unfortunate with the Paddy Quinn incident, difficult for the Ref to get right as it was off the ball but that have gone the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Doesn't say anything except that he came up from home yesterday. Just like I have lived in Dublin for 25 years. Have my own property in Dublin, wife and kids etc. When someone asks me what I am doing for the weekend - I answer I'm going home for the weekend (for a weekend that I am going down to Mayo). It's where I grew up.

I'm pretty sure that where Shane Walsh considers to be his home, has zero deciding factor in whether or not he was allowed to join Kilmacud. Isn't it based on job and college etc.? I don't think he is married or has kids. His home is probably where he grew up, which is in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Plus the fact his former clubs ladies team were in a county final winning a historic 10 in a row probably played into another reason as to why he was "home"

• Advertisement

I believe Walsh goes to college in Dublin City Centre, Portobello Institute.

But anyway it does not sit easy with me that a team like Crokes can just pick Walsh up no bother. Not Walsh's fault he will go where he has the best chance of winning titles while in Dublin. But is it fair on the other teams, and the integrity of the competition?

Walsh basically won Crokes the Dublin title, and if Mannion gets fit with the two of them could be talking All Ireland, will no doubt Waltz/Walsh through Leinster and will be strong favourites for landing the AI.

I still think there should be a draft like the American basketball teams do. For when non Dublin lads come up to Dublin. OK they might not be willing to play intermediate level. But would they play Senior 2 or Senior 1. Weakest teams get first pick near to where the player is living etc.

I did have to laugh when Judes where playing Crokes (there was all the Shane Walsh chatter) and the presenters were going on about the amount of non-Dubs playing for Judes compared to Crokes, But the truth of the matter was what they didn't say, was that none of the Judes imports were even close to the level of Walsh.

If Walsh went to Raheny for example a lower Senior 1 team (That is not known for getting imports) suddenly they would be pushing for being in the mix for the Dublin title, with the likes of Fenton, Howard etc providing the ammunition.

Fair play to Walsh great player etc, but it does lead me to question the fairness of such moves when the player is of such high quality in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yeah they got what they deserved wasted their Windfall on mercenaries and even made Cluxton feel disconnected from the club for a while. Preferring to play with the second team and the mates he grew up with.

More often than not though imports improve a team. But because of Dublin having no ‘Parrish rule’ it does end up as a bit fast and loose compared to other counties.

Hopefully the senior 1 final will be as close as the senior 2 hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Na Fianna seemingly learned nothing from last year. The game is won in the last 10 minutes and Crokes will come hard at you in that period.

Moderate your efforts in the game as a whole to match them when it matters.

Na Fianna just can’t seem to get over the line in finals. Went to both games, nothing really between the teams in either code, just the experience to get over the line.

I wonder how many finals we’ll be seeing between the 2 of these? (Throw in Ballyboden too). The era of the super club and shows no sign of stopping.

Ciaran Whelan had an interesting piece during the week on the impact it’s having on smaller teams. I can see it myself in north Dublin, Na Fianna are hoovering up kids from schools that were once Ballymun, Setanta & Whitehall territory. The community aspect is dying. There’s some Ill-feeling about too amongst some clubs, they won’t be devastated at todays result. Boden, Crokes & Cuala having the same impact south side, but I’d consider Cuala an anomaly as they broke out of an almost Gaa-free area so weren’t stepping on other clubs toes.

It is a good job Na Fianna did not lose by a point or there would have been chaos.But overall of Dublin hurling channels that never say die attitude of the clubs future should be bright. All that is needed is intercounty level scoring forwards.

I haven’t seen anyone comment about the split season. But I think it is going well and has being a success. Allows focus on the clubs no stop start stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Na Fianna just slightly short that bit of quality up front. In the last 15 minutes it was usually the wrong man getting on the end of chances for them and wasting the opportunity, whereas Crokes were generally getting good finishers on the end of their chances, especially O Rourke.

Thought Burke was brilliant, the class act on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

Watched the game on my phone in a hotel room in Rome. Wasn't sure if it was possible but no bother at all.

When Crokes burst out of the blocks to lead 0-5 v 0-1 it looked like a being a long day for Na Fianna but by half time the Glasnevin men looked to be in a strong position. I felt the hurt of last years defeat would drive them on at that stage.

I thought Liam Rushe faded badly in second half where Crokes curbed his influence and as a few have pointed out already when the game was there to be won in last 10 - 15 minutes Crokes seemed to have the belief and experience in closing out tight games while Na Fianna hit some poor wides and kind of faded away.

Very disappointing for Na Fianna to lose both senior finals but some achievement all the same for the Stillorgan club to do the double double.

• Advertisement

The community aspect is dying? And please tell me Ciaran Whelan wasnt pitching Raheny as a 'smaller club' - they can field three teams at Under 14, which is more than 99% of country clubs can do. Just as long as he is happy to put his own club into 'Super Clup' territory because Raheny would as a big if not bigger than Crossmaglen or Navan O'Mahonys or Glenswilly.

If he wants to see Community, why doesnt he head down to Parnell Park when Na Fianna is playing, all of Glasnevin was there - flags were up all over the place. The fact is that Na Fianna has really engaged the local community.

I would say there is a great spread of clubs at underage in Dublin - even in North Dublin - you have teams like Na Fianna who can field 3 or 4 teams at underage, below that the likes of Raheny or Sylvesters that might field 2 or 3, below that the likes of Ballymun or Barrog or Vincents that might field 2, below that a bunch of smaller one-team clubs like Monicas or Tyrrellstown. They are all great clubs in their own right. Tbh I do think this is the single biggest advantage that Dublin has, the only thing close is the hurling club scene in Kilkenny.

And bear in mind that some of the clubs mentioned are football only (Ballymun) or Hurling only (Setanta).

Raheny have 50 playing teams approx and afaik 1200 members. Na Fianna have over 3,000 members and over 100 teams so I think we can say Raheny are small compared to NF..

My issue isn’t with Na Fianna personally, it’s the super club aspect in general. I live and teach in the area so have seen first hand how schools outside the original NF catchment have been thrown coaches at in order to poach them away from the other clubs I mentioned. At the moment they’re looking at being able to field 6/7 teams at the first age level based on nursery numbers currently. I’m sure Crokes are similar.

No issue with Na Fianna or Crokes members defending this, it’s not like either club has done anything wrong, they’ve taken advantage of the opportunities and resources at their disposal. It’s just not sustainable really.

(an irrelevant and ridiculous thing I’ve seen, but showcasing the super club aspect..) - there’s a house for sale at the Marino / Malahide Road end of Griffith Avenue. One of its selling points is it’s close to Na Fianna’s Mobhi Road grounds, despite Vins being a 2 min drive away.

But thats like saying Everton is small compared to Man Utd - Raheny are still a huge club compared to most other clubs in the country. People in glasshouses and so on.

The point you havent made, but I think is a valid one - is that a lot of parents, given the choice, will send their kids to the clubs thats seen as being more middle class even though its a bit further away. But thats not the clubs fault. Parents do exactly the same with schools, in fact they often choose the club on the basis of where their kids are in school. Parents in East Cabra can send their kids to Na Fianna or Fionnbarra, as an example. Thats the same reason the estate agent is putting it in the ad. There are lots of Cabra kids heading to Na Fianna. There are no Glasnevin kids heading the other directions. The clubs you call super clubs are all firmly middle class - NaFianna, Cuala, Kilmacud, Ballyboden, Clontarf.

But you are kind of suggesting that the big clubs are actively driving this, going out marketing for kids, thats not the case at all. The reality is that they dont have the facilities and find it very difficult to handle the numbers. One thing for sure - if you are with a one team club in Dublin, you will have a lot more pitch space at training time.

As an add on - by far the biggest problem with the club scene in Dublin, by a long long way - is that if you are a 10 year old in Mountjoy Square or Portland Place or Sean McDermott Street, there is no club for you there at all. And ironically these kids are living a stones throw from GAA headquarters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Scoil Ui Chonaill is meant to be the North East Inner City club, but to be honest, it's like pushing a stone uphill. They put so much effort into the schools in the area, and only get a fraction of the kids out on training days that another club with schools in a different area would with a quarter the effort. Not the schools fault, not the clubs fault, and I can't even blame the parents, some of them have lives so hard that I can't even comprehend it.

That's why they're really pushing advertisements in Clontarf now, which had Clontarfs nose out of joint for a while. It's the right, and probably only, option for them though, a few years back getting 40 kids in the nursery on Saturday was considered a success, now they're up past 150 on a regular basis. I thought that it was amazing and was doing really well, but a walk through the Clontarf grounds during their nursery really put it in perspective, kids of all age groups as far as the eye could see! It was ridiculous.

Ah no..... you couldnt call it that at all. Pitch is miles away. Ironically, going back to the conversation above - Na Fianna would be closer (to the inner city).

I would imagine that link between school and club has largely broke down. Plus the school is about a quarter the size of what it was.

(On a side note - best GAA shirt in the country in my view).

Even to suggest that its the inner city club - to be saying, every other part of Dublin can have their local pitch, but you guys in the poorest part of the city, your local pitch is in a middle class area two miles away...the optics would be brutal.

(Now to be fair, the closest southside equivalent would be Portobello, which clearly isnt deprived, but is an inner city area with no access to a GAA club. I think most of them go to Ranelagh Gaels).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You should go tell the GAA, DCC and Scoil that they can't call it the NEIC club 😂

In fairness, that's the other nursery that they run at O'Connell school itself, on the astro pitch there. They do get numbers, but as you can imagine from the size of the pitch, it's terribly small. Getting them down onto the pitches at the grounds is a great difficultly.

When Clontarf found out that Scoil were advertising on "their patch", they actually wrote to the GAA to complain about it, saying it was outside Scoils parish. Don't think anything came of it, as it hasn't stopped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's only called an inner city club because of the schools location. Vinnie's is closer by a distance and you have St Joseph's but they are a tiny club. Scoil is struggling to get numbers for underage teams on a regular basis and will often only have the bare minimum for a game. Clontarf have hoovered up most of the young kids in the catchment area.

Vinnie's underage is doing well at the moment but again, are competing with NF and Whitehall. I just don't get the appeal of living next door to a club and sending them to another, unless you have ties to that club yourself. Even for myself, I played with Scoil from a nipper up to senior hurling but my kids go to Vinnie's because it's much closer and that's where their friends play.

The notion that you send your kid to a more middle class club just baffles me but a lot of parents have notions these days.

To be honest I enjoy coaching the smaller panels we have here in Vinnie's. We've 30 for U8 girls and it's just the right amount. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to coach 60+ kids but one things for certain, the ones that struggle at the start are just going to get left behind in a hurry in those larger groups which is a shame.

NF also lost the camogie final a few weeks back against Vinnie's so it was really a treble of loses for them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Didnt realise that was happening, but you are right the astro there is tiny - but more importantly, once you get to age 8 or more you need grass. The game is meant to played on grass. Astro matches are crap, especially in hurling.

I know it would/ could never happen - but the fact is that there is a pitch 100 yards from there that is not being used at all from August through to year end. Would be a nice gesture if they opened it up for the so-called local inner city club.

• Advertisement

Completely agree - with the caveat that it makes most sense to send a kid to where their school mates go. In the early years, the biggest draw is that their pals are there also.

As regards the middle class thing - doesnt really baffle me. Plenty of parents send their kids to for example Educate Together schools that are 2 or 3 miles away, rather than the local National School - and no matter what anyone tells me, the middle class thing is a huge part of that. Works same way with the GAA clubs.

My point regarding inner city is that there are no club facilities there, ergo de facto or whatever, there is no club there.

Advertisement