Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CIE Union Fanatics/Extremists?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Well, very slightly skilled. But like tying your shoe laces, everyone can learn to do it with a little practice.
    The bottom line is they are grossly overpaid. And probably bitch themselves about the quality of politicians and government when it is the very same politicians that are responsible for overpaying them. No marches to Kildare street by drivers objecting to how they are disgracefully overpaid, and the government should force BE to rectify this horrendous waste when people would happly do their job for two thirds of the amount.

the bottom line is that they aren't over paid. no amount of saying they are will change the facts. people would not be happy to do the job for 2 thirds of the amount, otherwise they would be doing it. the market has said you are wrong.

The cost of living has not gone up since the crash in 08. And it is still stable at zero.

Wages at that time were too high throughout the economy. Hence the crash. Wages in legacy public services were even more out of whack and do not have the same facility to self correct as the private sector.

So BE wages still need to fall, allowances and benefits reduced or be eliminated, overtime become a very rare exceptional event, and productivity increase.

They are just going through the painful wrench from a privileged, protected, and uneconomic abuse of public funds, to one in line with the service provided, and level of work involved. It will be traumatic. But the breaking point has been reached as happened in Aer Lingus and elsewhere. BE must make the leap to the real world.

they have fallen hugely. they aren't going to fall any further otherwise they would be on less then their private counterparts. productivity is all ready very near it's maximum. there is no privileged, protected, and uneconomic abuse of public funds, staff have to get paid for doing their job and the company has to be paid for providing it's services. everything is in line with the service provided and the work involved, as per the market. the only issue is the ftp which the full cost of isn't being paid. be is in the real world.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

magentis wrote: »
    lThere are no mercedes coaches or buses in this country with the capacity you are talking about or ever was.I know this for a fact.

Right. If you say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

A dozen wheelchairs on one bus?

No such bus exists in this country.

Bs seen plenty of buses supplying services for mental health and disabled on the one bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Bs seen plenty of buses supplying services for mental health and disabled on the one bus.

Where have you seen a bus with 12 wheelchairs on it at the one time?

Who operates it?

Where have you seen a bus with 12 wheelchairs on it at the one time?

Who operates it?

You can remove the seats in them. Jesus...

You can remove the seats in them. Jesus...

So its just a matter of taking the seats out of an ordinary bus and away you go is it?

Where did you see one with 12 wheelchair passengers and 10 seated passengers?

Made up of mental health/disabled passengers is it?
    Was it the hse?Was it a private company?Was it the IWA maybe?

Who?

Maybe you saw Jesus on the bus too?

There is no bus in this country configured to carry 12 wheelchair passengers and 10 seated passengers.

So its just a matter of taking the seats out of an ordinary bus and away you go is it?

Where did you see one with 12 wheelchair passengers and 10 seated passengers?

Made up of mental health/disabled passengers is it?
    Was it the hse?Was it a private company?Was it the IWA maybe?

Who?

Maybe you saw Jesus on the bus too?

They are not ordinary buses they are designed to have seats or no seats depending on the clients. They don't have any marking they are private the ones I have seen. Usually alighting from a ramp on the back. Have no idea why it's so hard to believe a service for example from the HSE dropping Wheelchair users to various places. Generally see a mixture of Mental health wheel chair users regular users. And the likes of people with MS for example.

I am not talking about the 10 sitting and wheelchair.

You quoted my post and said it was bs.

I was referring to another users post.

I worked organising transport for the special olympics,and we are currently working on another event that will require vehicles to transport wheelchair users.We have info on what vehicles are in the country and their capacities,private operators,charities and the hse.The most we have is 8,with 6 seated passengers.

I worked organising transport for the special olympics,and we are currently working on another event that will require vehicles to transport wheelchair users.We have info on what vehicles are in the country and their capacities,private operators,charities and the hse.The most we have is 8,with 6 seated passengers.

Apologies did not specifically see the mix. I have seen them outside old folks home and alike too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well aint that just dandy.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unite-members-of-bus-ireann-vote-unanimously-to-strike-35412761.html

You try and give people jobs, a good wage, and a sustainable future. And they go on strike. WTF are these Unite guys up to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unite-members-of-bus-ireann-vote-unanimously-to-strike-35412761.html

You try and give people jobs, a good wage, and a sustainable future. And they go on strike. WTF are these Unite guys up to ?

Sell it off.

a

so be it. i would agree it isn't the right move myself but i trust that the members of that union having all the facts are making the choice they feel is best for them. chances are it will be called off anyway at the last minute, hopefully anyway.

a
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Sell it off.

for what. to who. it wouldn't make a difference as they're will still be strikes from time to time as in any of the big transport companies world wide.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

for what. to who. it wouldn't make a difference as they're will still be strikes from time to time as in any of the big transport companies world wide.

Yes, many transport company employees abuse their position and try to extort excessive wages from their customers, but at least if it was sold off, they would be paid a decent wage.

Yes, many transport company employees abuse their position and try to extort excessive wages from their customers, but at least if it was sold off, they would be paid a decent wage.

they don't abuse their position or extort. selling off be or even the expressway part will do nothing. it will make the numties who still can't grasp that strikes happen in both private and public sector happy until they're is a strike, when they may finally wake up to reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I worked with the IWA years ago (It was easily 15 years ago) and they had two coaches back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Do they suicide-crash their trains and buses?

they don't abuse their position or extort. selling off be or even the expressway part will do nothing. it will make the numties who still can't grasp that strikes happen in both private and public sector happy until they're is a strike, when they may finally wake up to reality.

Strike all they want company will go insolvent and bang. Gov cannot bail them out anti competition laws. And some will be regretting being greedy finding themselves on the dole. Simple facts are The government cannot bail them out.

Strike all they want company will go insolvent and bang. Gov cannot bail them out anti competition laws. And some will be regretting being greedy finding themselves on the dole. Simple facts are The government cannot bail them out.

none of that has anything to do with what i said.

• Advertisement

none of that has anything to do with what i said.

Can you tell us how the Unions will get a pay rise that cannot be given ? I would like you to outline how.

Can you tell us how the Unions will get a pay rise that cannot be given ? I would like you to outline how.

they aren't going to get one. nobody ever said they should either.

they aren't going to get one. nobody ever said they should either.

Right, so there should be lay off and streamlining yes ? Insolvent company that cannot be bailed out.

Or let it fail and start from scratch. Probably less time wasted if they let them go bang. Will kill off the unions. I believe in a fair days work and a fair day pay. This is taking the piss. And when it does go bang I really hope they don't start putting up sob stories.

2 options. Bust or a job.

Right, so there should be lay off and streamlining yes ? Insolvent company that cannot be bailed out.

Or let it fail and start from scratch. Probably less time wasted if they let them go bang. Will kill off the unions. I believe in a fair days work and a fair day pay. This is taking the piss. And when it does go bang I really hope they don't start putting up sob stories.

2 options. Bust or a job.

a laughable bunch of nonsense. they're is no need to lay off anybody. all they need to do is simply cut the loss making expressway routes. they are the huge problem as recognised. letting the company go bang isn't going to get rid of the unions. the unions are going no-where. they're are plenty of options here.

oh by the way, (not that i'm suggesting it should or will happen) the government can actually "bail out" the company. anti-competition laws are often got around by other EU countries when it suits. all they need to do is insure it is indirect and nothing goes directly from government to expressway should they go down the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a laughable bunch of nonsense. they're is no need to lay off anybody. all they need to do is simply cut the loss making expressway routes. they are the huge problem as recognised. letting the company go bang isn't going to get rid of the unions. the unions are going no-where. they're are plenty of options here.

oh by the way, (not that i'm suggesting it should or will happen) the government can actually "bail out" the company. anti-competition laws are often got around by other EU countries when it suits. all they need to do is insure it is indirect and nothing goes directly from government to expressway should they go down the route.

If they cut the loss-making routes what happens to the drivers on those routes? will they have a job to do?

How will anti competition laws be gotten around on an insolvent company ?

• Advertisement

If they cut the loss-making routes what happens to the drivers on those routes? will they have a job to do?

i should think so yes. services could be increased on the profitable routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

No doubt most of the people citing EU competition law in relation to Bus Eireann also support the Government's stance on Apple Tax...

No doubt most of the people citing EU competition law in relation to Bus Eireann also support the Government's stance on Apple Tax...

You get in to trouble for ignoring both. What position has the Gov got on illegal state aid ?

You get in to trouble for ignoring both. What position has the Gov got on illegal state aid ?

you could ask them. i don't know which minister you should write to though but i'm sure you will be able to find that information yourself. as i said all ready, governments can and have got around competition and state aid rules when it suits. and again, that isn't me saying we should do it but that it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

An apathetic attitude when it concerns Apple.

• Advertisement

you could ask them. i don't know which minister you should write to though but i'm sure you will be able to find that information yourself. as i said all ready, governments can and have got around competition and state aid rules when it suits. and again, that isn't me saying we should do it but that it has happened.

Really they have.. Odd they are up for it in Apples case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If you do t mind me saying, you are flogging a dead horse.

Bus Eireann expressway is a loss making concern due mainly to a high cost base and outdated work practices.

The u ions thought they could kick the Govt while it was weak.

That's the be all and end all of it.

You cannot justify anything else.

If you do t mind me saying, you are flogging a dead horse.

Bus Eireann expressway is a loss making concern due mainly to a high cost base and outdated work practices.

The u ions thought they could kick the Govt while it was weak.

That's the be all and end all of it.

You cannot justify anything else.

incorrect. i'm flogging a very much alive horse. there is no evidence of outdated working practices in bus eireann, but claims from gutter rags. the unions didn't think they could kick the government. That's the be all and end all of it. i can and have justified the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

it's not up to me to come up with a solution, i'm not management of the company.

Let me tell you the solution

Cut overtime

Reduce sick leave

Re work the work practices

Address the terms and conditions.

And the basic pay need not be touched, as management t have said .

It's the 'gravy' of overtime and shift pay which is artificially manouvered is the problem.

Don't expect the taxpayer to bankroll more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Can you provide your definition of intelligence, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I heard some talking head on the radio saying that if everyone on a free travel pass paid €6 per year...PER YEAR, that the hole in bus eireanns finances would be filled. 6 f*cking Euro. 11 Cent per week for unlimited public transport. And yet this idea wont even be given any discussion lest the sacred cows with their endless advocacy groups start screeching about elderly people freeze to death in their homes.
    468,000 pensioners (2006 census, 65 year old+) x €6 = €2,808,000
    The Bus Eireann deficit is projected at €6,000,000 in 2016.

The only way that "report" makes sense is if the number of pensioners increased from 468,000 to 1,000,000 in ten years.
    Pensioners are now 66 year old+ so the starting 468,000 would be smaller (take out those aged 65).

Bar stool economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Update
    Currently there are 540,000 people aged 65+ in Ireland, and obviously less aged 66+ (free travel).
    540,000 x €6 = €3,240,000, still a long way short of the €6,000,000 deficit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Anecdotally, it seems like a lot of people below pension age also have free travel for whatever disability they may have. Still wouldn't make up the gap mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wheety wrote: »
    Anecdotally, it seems like a lot of people below pension age also have free travel for whatever disability they may have. Still wouldn't make up the gap mind you.

Of the ones i see on a daily basis the biggest affliction is not being able to get off their arse and get a job or earn an honest living, you know, like the rest of us who pay to subsidise their free travel.

No sympathy from me for the majority of bus drivers, waiting on Tuesday morning this week, bus due at 925, arrives at 936, a 750 metre journey for the driver, im at the second stop on the route, it takes 2 mins to usually make that journey, i hop on and there he is having a coffee and sandwich, i said 'youre on a go slow today is it', his reply 'ah yeah'. Sums up their customer service and general attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

i should think so yes. services could be increased on the profitable routes.

Do BE have enough profitable routes?
    Wouldn't increasing the service just to keep lads in jobs make them less profitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Where's Maggie or Ronnie when you need them.

Smash the Unions. Stand up to these bully boys. You're the State, you have the power to do so. We the working people will support you.

Of the ones i see on a daily basis the biggest affliction is not being able to get off their arse and get a job or earn an honest living, you know, like the rest of us who pay to subsidise their free travel.

based on what. assuming you are correct, employers aren't going to employ such people even if the employers were desperate for staff. reality doesn't matter to the soundbite/garra job rabel rabel brigade though
    No sympathy from me for the majority of bus drivers, waiting on Tuesday morning this week, bus due at 925, arrives at 936, a 750 metre journey for the driver, im at the second stop on the route, it takes 2 mins to usually make that journey, i hop on and there he is having a coffee and sandwich, i said 'youre on a go slow today is it', his reply 'ah yeah'. Sums up their customer service and general attitude.

yes sympathy for them from you as chances are he was being smart. after all, he has heard the same nonsense time and time again from someone trying to be funny and failing badly.
    eeguy wrote: »
    Do BE have enough profitable routes?
    Wouldn't increasing the service just to keep lads in jobs make them less profitable?

they wouldn't be increasing them to keep people in jobs, they would be doing it because it needs to be done.

Where's Maggie or Ronnie when you need them.

dead. and they could only pick on the weak in society, being the pathetic wasters they were.
    Smash the Unions.

can't be done. the workers will do what is necessary to stop any attempt to try and it will be for the good of us all.
    Stand up to these bully boys. You're the State, you have the power to do so.

no bully boys to be stood up to. the state does not have the power to do anything to the strong.
    We the working people will support you.

not this worker. i value my worker rights.

dead. and they could only pick on the weak in society, being the pathetic wasters they were.

can't be done. the workers will do what is necessary to stop any attempt to try and it will be for the good of us all.

no bully boys to be stood up to. the state does not have the power to do anything to the strong.

not this worker. i value my worker rights.

Pathetic wasters!! Get outta of here my friend, they were leaders of the free word. They achieved greatness in their liftetimes. Immortality.

I believe in meritocracy. I want each child to start off on a fair playing field. I then want them to be rewarded for hard work, you work for what you have. In a system like this the cream will rise to the top. Look at how many disadvantaged individuals have risen here in Ireland with the aid of college grants. We created a level playing field for them.

What I don't want is bully boys forming Unions and holding the State to ransom. I want our State to smash them.

To further this EOTR, if you're not happy with your wage you should keep upskilling to improve your conditions. That may mean leaving a profession such as a bus driver.

You might even think about striking out on your own, and becoming self employed. The ability to make big should be in the private sector and not the Public sector.

There is a no glass ceiling in private enterprise, the sky is the limit.

You have to take risks though, the safety net of state employment is not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

diomed wrote: »
    Update
    Currently there are 540,000 people aged 65+ in Ireland, and obviously less aged 66+ (free travel).
    540,000 x €6 = €3,240,000, still a long way short of the €6,000,000 deficit.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/numbers-qualifying-for-free-travel-rising-every-year-1.2939398

Including carers/companions the number of people with FTP was around 1.2m in 2014

based on what. assuming you are correct, employers aren't going to employ such people even if the employers were desperate for staff. reality doesn't matter to the soundbite/garra job rabel rabel brigade though

yes sympathy for them from you as chances are he was being smart. after all, he has heard the same nonsense time and time again from someone trying to be funny and failing badly.

they wouldn't be increasing them to keep people in jobs, they would be doing it because it needs to be done.

Trust me I wasn't trying to be funny, should I have asked why he was late,why was he having a break while driving the bus? Or should I be a good quiet passenger and stand in the cold until a bus randomly turns up? Your defense of this shambles of a company is superb by the way, it makes great reading.

Pathetic wasters!! Get outta of here my friend, they were leaders of the free word. They achieved greatness in their liftetimes. Immortality.

I believe in meritocracy. I want each child to start off on a fair playing field. I then want them to be rewarded for hard work, you work for what you have. In a system like this the cream will rise to the top. Look at how many disadvantaged individuals have risen here in Ireland with the aid of college grants. We created a level playing field for them.

What I don't want is bully boys forming Unions and holding the State to ransom. I want our State to smash them.

they're are no bully boys holding the state to ransom. the unions have all ready been formed and are going nowhere until the members decide otherwise.
    To further this EOTR, if you're not happy with your wage you should keep upskilling to improve your conditions. That may mean leaving a profession such as a bus driver.

You might even think about striking out on your own, and becoming self employed. The ability to make big should be in the private sector and not the Public sector.

There is a no glass ceiling in private enterprise, the sky is the limit.

You have to take risks though, the safety net of state employment is not there.

or, you can negotiate with your employer to up the wage to the market rate, which is what the transport unions do. the ability to make big should be in all sectors, the public sector isn't a charity.
    Trust me I wasn't trying to be funny, should I have asked why he was late,why was he having a break while driving the bus? Or should I be a good quiet passenger and stand in the cold until a bus randomly turns up? Your defense of this shambles of a company is superb by the way, it makes great reading.

it's called giving people the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty of something. i believe in innocent until proven guilty across the board, not just in terms of the justice system

they're are no bully boys holding the state to ransom. the unions have all ready been formed and are going nowhere until the members decide otherwise.

or, you can negotiate with your employer to up the wage to the market rate, which is what the transport unions do. the ability to make big should be in all sectors, the public sector isn't a charity.

it's called giving people the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty of something. i believe in innocent until proven guilty across the board, not just in terms of the justice system

It's a regular thing amongst drivers, numerous different ones have arrived with ISS catering services coffee cups, which they get in the canteen of a factory beside the starting point. They then delay their departure as a result of their caffeine craving, leaving commuters bereft of a punctual service. Guilty in anyone's language. No point telling you this though as you'll just say they are entitled to do it and so what and everyone does things like that etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

diomed wrote: »
    468,000 pensioners (2006 census, 65 year old+) x €6 = €2,808,000
    The Bus Eireann deficit is projected at €6,000,000 in 2016.

The only way that "report" makes sense is if the number of pensioners increased from 468,000 to 1,000,000 in ten years.
    Pensioners are now 66 year old+ so the starting 468,000 would be smaller (take out those aged 65).

Bar stool economics.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/numbers-qualifying-for-free-travel-rising-every-year-1.2939398

Including carers/companions the number of people with FTP was around 1.2m in 2014

The number of free travel passes is around 800,000. Some of these passes allow you to take a companion and if you add this to the total you get 1.2m or thereabouts. It was in the Irish Times a couple of weks ago and there were similar figures about 3 years ago.

You need to have an "opt-in/opt-out" for the FTP's. If you want it on your card, then you should pay €1 per week nominal fee, this should be deducted at source, i.e. before it's paid out as a welfare payment.

You want a FTP, then pay €1 per week, you don't want it, then continue to collect.

The problem is that whatever political party attempts to instigate this, it will be faux opposed by those in opposition who will promise to reinstate it the next time they get elected in. And the merry go round will continue. So no party will dare touch it at the end of the day.

Advertisement