Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIE Union Fanatics/Extremists?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The cost of living has not gone up since the crash in 08. And it is still stable at zero.

asset price inflation maybe!

Wages at that time were too high throughout the economy. Hence the crash. Wages in legacy public services were even more out of whack and do not have the same facility to self correct as the private sector.

anything to do with cheap credit flooding the market, leading to an asset/housing bubble, maybe?

So BE wages still need to fall, allowances and benefits reduced or be eliminated, overtime become a very rare exceptional event, and productivity increase.

we really need to stop with this productivity increase and perpetual growth nonsense

They are just going through the painful wrench from a privileged, protected, and uneconomic abuse of public funds, to one in line with the service provided, and level of work involved. It will be traumatic. But the breaking point has been reached as happened in Aer Lingus and elsewhere. BE must make the leap to the real world.

maybe it be ta do with the fundamental failings of free market economic/neoliberal policies and flawed economic theories such as neoclassical theory,maybe?

just maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I know this is after hours but some of the factual inaccuracies posted in this thread are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Oblivoid

Nobody earning more than 40k would ever be responsible for a traffic accident. They're too skilled and intelligent to ever let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

magentis wrote: »
    A dozen wheelchairs on one bus?

No such bus exists in this country.

Nonsense. A quick search shows VanHool do a coach that will do 55 seated or 30 seated/12 wheelchairs. The one he drove was a custom converted Mercedes with 2 benches up front and the rest was fitted with tracking for restraining the wheelchairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The cost of living has not gone up since the crash in 08. And it is still stable at zero.

Wages at that time were too high throughout the economy. Hence the crash. Wages in legacy public services were even more out of whack and do not have the same facility to self correct as the private sector.

My arse the cost of living hasnt gone up since 08 o wait hai USC, pension levy, water tax, home tax ect etc.

Also as for the crash it wasnt the public sector that caused that it was the governent at the time taking on 64billion of dodgy debt half of which was from a dodgy bank that hid its losses and a headless chicken EU that strongarmed the government into a bailout. Thats the prime and core cause not the public sector.

Of course its easier to just blame our own regular workers than go for the ones who were in charge....

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Nonsense. A quick search shows VanHool do a coach that will do 55 seated or 30 seated/12 wheelchairs. The one he drove was a custom converted Mercedes with 2 benches up front and the rest was fitted with tracking for restraining the wheelchairs.

And how many of those van Hool are in this country????

There are no mercedes coaches or buses in this country with the capacity you are talking about or ever was.I know this for a fact.

stimpson wrote: »

Which organisation do you feel had this incredible vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Head down to Connolly station/bus aras any time and watch the convoy of near empty bus eireann buses leave the depot..

I'm around there every day and I see double decker expressway services pull off with about two people on board..

Doesn't seen sustainable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lawred2 wrote: »
    Head down to Connolly station/bus aras any time and watch the convoy of near empty bus eireann buses leave the depot..

I'm around there every day and I see double decker expressway services pull off with about two people on board..

Doesn't seen sustainable to me.

good few near empty buses leaving stations alright but to be fair, they could be picking up along the routes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Infini2 wrote: »
    My arse the cost of living hasnt gone up since 08 o wait hai USC, pension levy, water tax, home tax ect etc.

Also as for the crash it wasnt the public sector that caused that it was the governent at the time taking on 64billion of dodgy debt half of which was from a dodgy bank that hid its losses and a headless chicken EU that strongarmed the government into a bailout. Thats the prime and core cause not the public sector.

Of course its easier to just blame our own regular workers than go for the ones who were in charge....

There was a major problem with public income v expenditure even without any money been spent on the banks.

We were taking in something like a half to two thirds of what we were spending from around 08 til we got bailed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Well, very slightly skilled. But like tying your shoe laces, everyone can learn to do it with a little practice.
    The bottom line is they are grossly overpaid. And probably bitch themselves about the quality of politicians and government when it is the very same politicians that are responsible for overpaying them. No marches to Kildare street by drivers objecting to how they are disgracefully overpaid, and the government should force BE to rectify this horrendous waste when people would happly do their job for two thirds of the amount.

the bottom line is that they aren't over paid. no amount of saying they are will change the facts. people would not be happy to do the job for 2 thirds of the amount, otherwise they would be doing it. the market has said you are wrong.

So BE wages still need to fall, allowances and benefits reduced or be eliminated, overtime become a very rare exceptional event, and productivity increase.

They are just going through the painful wrench from a privileged, protected, and uneconomic abuse of public funds, to one in line with the service provided, and level of work involved. It will be traumatic. But the breaking point has been reached as happened in Aer Lingus and elsewhere. BE must make the leap to the real world.

they have fallen hugely. they aren't going to fall any further otherwise they would be on less then their private counterparts. productivity is all ready very near it's maximum. there is no privileged, protected, and uneconomic abuse of public funds, staff have to get paid for doing their job and the company has to be paid for providing it's services. everything is in line with the service provided and the work involved, as per the market. the only issue is the ftp which the full cost of isn't being paid. be is in the real world.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

lThere are no mercedes coaches or buses in this country with the capacity you are talking about or ever was.I know this for a fact.

Right. If you say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

A dozen wheelchairs on one bus?

No such bus exists in this country.

Bs seen plenty of buses supplying services for mental health and disabled on the one bus.

Bs seen plenty of buses supplying services for mental health and disabled on the one bus.

Where have you seen a bus with 12 wheelchairs on it at the one time?

Who operates it?

Where have you seen a bus with 12 wheelchairs on it at the one time?

Who operates it?

You can remove the seats in them. Jesus...

You can remove the seats in them. Jesus...

So its just a matter of taking the seats out of an ordinary bus and away you go is it?

Where did you see one with 12 wheelchair passengers and 10 seated passengers?

Made up of mental health/disabled passengers is it?
    Was it the hse?Was it a private company?Was it the IWA maybe?

Who?

Maybe you saw Jesus on the bus too?

There is no bus in this country configured to carry 12 wheelchair passengers and 10 seated passengers.

So its just a matter of taking the seats out of an ordinary bus and away you go is it?

Where did you see one with 12 wheelchair passengers and 10 seated passengers?

Made up of mental health/disabled passengers is it?
    Was it the hse?Was it a private company?Was it the IWA maybe?

Who?

Maybe you saw Jesus on the bus too?

They are not ordinary buses they are designed to have seats or no seats depending on the clients. They don't have any marking they are private the ones I have seen. Usually alighting from a ramp on the back. Have no idea why it's so hard to believe a service for example from the HSE dropping Wheelchair users to various places. Generally see a mixture of Mental health wheel chair users regular users. And the likes of people with MS for example.

I am not talking about the 10 sitting and wheelchair.

You quoted my post and said it was bs.

I was referring to another users post.

I worked organising transport for the special olympics,and we are currently working on another event that will require vehicles to transport wheelchair users.We have info on what vehicles are in the country and their capacities,private operators,charities and the hse.The most we have is 8,with 6 seated passengers.

I worked organising transport for the special olympics,and we are currently working on another event that will require vehicles to transport wheelchair users.We have info on what vehicles are in the country and their capacities,private operators,charities and the hse.The most we have is 8,with 6 seated passengers.

Apologies did not specifically see the mix. I have seen them outside old folks home and alike too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well aint that just dandy.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unite-members-of-bus-ireann-vote-unanimously-to-strike-35412761.html

You try and give people jobs, a good wage, and a sustainable future. And they go on strike. WTF are these Unite guys up to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unite-members-of-bus-ireann-vote-unanimously-to-strike-35412761.html

You try and give people jobs, a good wage, and a sustainable future. And they go on strike. WTF are these Unite guys up to ?

Sell it off.

a

so be it. i would agree it isn't the right move myself but i trust that the members of that union having all the facts are making the choice they feel is best for them. chances are it will be called off anyway at the last minute, hopefully anyway.

a
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Sell it off.

for what. to who. it wouldn't make a difference as they're will still be strikes from time to time as in any of the big transport companies world wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

for what. to who. it wouldn't make a difference as they're will still be strikes from time to time as in any of the big transport companies world wide.

Yes, many transport company employees abuse their position and try to extort excessive wages from their customers, but at least if it was sold off, they would be paid a decent wage.

Yes, many transport company employees abuse their position and try to extort excessive wages from their customers, but at least if it was sold off, they would be paid a decent wage.

they don't abuse their position or extort. selling off be or even the expressway part will do nothing. it will make the numties who still can't grasp that strikes happen in both private and public sector happy until they're is a strike, when they may finally wake up to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I worked with the IWA years ago (It was easily 15 years ago) and they had two coaches back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Do they suicide-crash their trains and buses?

they don't abuse their position or extort. selling off be or even the expressway part will do nothing. it will make the numties who still can't grasp that strikes happen in both private and public sector happy until they're is a strike, when they may finally wake up to reality.

Strike all they want company will go insolvent and bang. Gov cannot bail them out anti competition laws. And some will be regretting being greedy finding themselves on the dole. Simple facts are The government cannot bail them out.

Strike all they want company will go insolvent and bang. Gov cannot bail them out anti competition laws. And some will be regretting being greedy finding themselves on the dole. Simple facts are The government cannot bail them out.

none of that has anything to do with what i said.

• Advertisement

none of that has anything to do with what i said.

Can you tell us how the Unions will get a pay rise that cannot be given ? I would like you to outline how.

Advertisement