Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying mispronunciation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    People who pronounce Cahill which is Ka-hill as Kay-hill. It's the first for crying out load. Usually the Brits call it Kay-hill. When you correct them, they ask "are you sure?" Yes I am bloody sure, it is one of the oldest Irish surnames and it hasn't changed in hundreds of fécking years. Also had American's tell me that they were the Ma-hone-eee's as opposed to the Mahony's, I had to ask them to spell it to even get what they were saying. Also Gallagher is pronounced Gall-a-her not Gall-ag-ger. And Kirsten is not Keeer-sten, it is Kir-sten. And Ireland is Ar-land not Ire-land. I don't do well with American tourists!

Not sure about 'Kay-hill', but Gallagher with a hard second g and Ma-hone-ee are how they're pronounced (sometimes) in England and America. So, in this example, you're wrong and the American tourist - knowing how to pronounce his or her own name - is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

MadsL wrote: »
    Something about Madrid maybe?

No.. it's just an Offaly thing apparently. He pronounces 'weak' as 'wake'!! aaaaaagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Not sure about 'Kay-hill', but Gallagher with a hard second g and Ma-hone-ee are how they're pronounced (sometimes) in England and America. So, in this example, you're wrong and the American tourist - knowing how to pronounce his or her own name - is right.

They are Irish surnames so the way they are pronounced here is the correct way. Same as the way Irish people pronounce Lukasz (Polish and the u is more of a woo I have been told) as Lucas, it's wrong because the original pronunciation in the home country is the correct one. When the Irish landed in America over the last few centuries and were processed on arrival, many Irish surnames were written incorrectly and misspelled, meaning their pronunciation was on many occasion due to the new spelling, but if it is spelled the same then there is really no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Gallagher pronounced as galiga

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

A whole nother

"I need to get some hate into me." Took me a minute to realise the man was saying heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

English people, in particular, seem to be able to find an invisible "k" in "Rioja".

Another odd one, the English are generally perfectly able to pronounce the hot, sandy city of Las Vegas. The vast majority of Americans, however, pronounce it "Los Vegas".

People will argue that the "t" in "Moët" is silent as it's French but the name Moët is actually Dutch so French language rules don't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Yes, and introducing it to the English language, as there was no English word with "shadenfraude's" specific meaning.

Not exactly true... there was the word epicaricacy.

Wurly wrote: »
    My boyfriend's dad pronounces 'real' as 'rail'!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I quite like that!

mcwinning wrote: »

Tea pronounced as cha.

I don't think that's a mispronunciation but rather a deliberate distortion of the word for effect and exaggeration.

"I need to get some hate into me." Took me a minute to realise the man was saying heat.

I do this deliberately sometimes when I'm being slightly dramatic.

No.. it's just an Offaly thing apparently. He pronounces 'weak' as 'wake'!! aaaaaagh

As above!

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I do this deliberately sometimes when I'm being slightly dramatic.

So does my OH, but still when it is someones actual way of saying it, it bothers me for some reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jojobeans

Anadin painkillers pronounced as ada-deen and library pronounced as lie-berry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Americans who pronounce the w in Swithwicks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Believe me, they most certainly do.

Give up. You mispronounce it.

Listen to the "p" sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Opposite to hate is could. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Flour pronounced as flower. And vice versa.

I've always pronounced them exactly the same. What is the difference?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A-rab

Just no.

• Advertisement

twinQuins wrote: »
    Not sure if you're being facetious here but 'ye' is actually an old spelling of 'the'. Comes from differences, over time, in type-facing the character 'thorn' (which produced the 'th' sound) in Old English. Eventually it morphed into something that looked like a 'Y'.

English is, oddly, one of the few languages that doesn't have a specific word for the pluralised form of 'you'.
    twinQuins wrote: »
    Yes, English did at one point have that pronoun but it simply doesn't exist in the modern language and hasn't for a long time. My point was one that people see and hear 'ye' being used and assume it's the pluralised form of 'you'.

Assuming that most people conflate Early Modern English with Old English, those that use it probably don't realise just how anachronistic it is.

Well the Oxford Dictionary lists 'ye' as the second person plural and qualifies it as having various uses in modern dialects. I have used it all my life and so have most people I know. It is widely used in Ireland. So I would argue that it does exist in some forms of modern English. I don't agree that it is anachronistic to use it at all.
    I've never heard it been called solpadeine.

I have never heard it called anything else! :confused:
    I am pie wrote: »
    Thailand never has and never will be pronounced thighland....same with the name thompson . Some sections of Irish media are seemingly unable to grasp the
    concept of a silent h.

Is Thompson pronounced as 'Tompson'? I never knew that... the spelling suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Earlier today, when I was looking for a clarification of differences in pronunciation of the German "R", I stumbled across
    this tutorial

In spite of what one hears it is in English and the vocabulary is impressive. I replayed it a few times and managed to make out most of the words but around 0:24-0:27 it does get very difficult.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

pronunciation :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Melingitis.

So does my OH, but still when it is someones actual way of saying it, it bothers me for some reason!

Yeah, it's my boyfriend's dad's actual way of saying it. Jaysis, it drives me mad. Rail for real, wake for weak etc. When he says fine gael, he says fine instead of fin-na! JAYYYYSSIS.

Not a mispronunciation but he also calls computers 'televisions' and refers to soda bread as brown cake.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

Sa hur day for Saturday drives me mad.

Chapel lizard for Chapelizod.

I know it's not pronunciation but "absolutely" where a simple "yes" would do.
    This happens a lot in radio interviews - eg "So the show is on in the Olympia?"
    Reply... "Absolutely". Do they mean the whole show is in the Olympia and they won't be moving venue at the interval?

Yeah, it's my boyfriend's dad's actual way of saying it. Jaysis, it drives me mad. Rail for real, wake for weak etc. When he says fine gael, he says fine instead of fin-na! JAYYYYSSIS.

Not a mispronunciation but he also calls computers 'televisions' and refers to soda bread as brown cake.:mad:
    I know a few people who jokingly call it wake, but when my uncle says it he genuinely cannot see how it is incorrect, it hurts my head!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

and refers to soda bread as brown cake.:mad:

That comes from the Irish language. Soda bread is "caca donn" - brown cake.

It's still annoying. :) And only because there are so many of these things. He calls tin foil 'teeshie paper':confused::confused::confused:, yallah for yellow, tamahah for tomato....

Okay... I cant talk about this anymore...:mad::mad::mad::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

I hate the way Irish people mispronounce "car," "bar," "star" etc. by using the short vowel sound and pronouncing the "r."

What you are referring to is the difference between rhotic and non-rhotic accents. These differences date back centuries and are well established. Dutch is another example of a language spoken rhotically by most and non-rhotically by others (German is the opposite).

None of this has anything to do really with mispronunciation. However, saying 'trothe' for 'throat' is clearly wrong and stupid, and a mind bogglingly ignorant violation of the most basic rules of the English language that exists only on this island, which accounts for a tiny percentage of the English-speaking world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Didn't see Are-land get a mention yet. Should revoke passports for that one.

It's still annoying. :) And only because there are so many of these things. He calls tin foil 'teeshie paper':confused::confused::confused:, yallah for yellow, tamahah for tomato....

Okay... I cant talk about this anymore...:mad::mad::mad::pac:

Edit:... my boyfriend has just told me that he calls Winning Streak, Winning STRAKE!! And Prime Time is Today Tonight! I know that Today Tonight was the name of an old current affairs programme but call it the real or RAIL :) name.

My mam INSISTS on calling the local Spar, Paddy's. Because it was called Paddy's about 30 years ago.

Ok... I need to go cool down.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Wurly,he sounds like he's trying to sound like a child.

Saturday pronounced as sa-hur-day is quite common around Ireland. I used to think it was just where i'm from. I like it.
    SAHURDAY
    SAHURDAY
    SAHURDAY
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Millon, billon, day-boo, toozday, stoopid, Sahurrda, nooz, defin-ite-ly, Buhhur, Chicargo, buke, shtone, shpuds.

I can't think of any more at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Oh and i pronounce it Thailand not Tailand, and i'll continue to do so :)

• Advertisement

My mam INSISTS on calling the local Spar, Paddy's. Because it was called Paddy's about 30 years ago.

My MIL does this too. I told her I would meet her in Limerick one day, she told me to go to Todd's. No fúcking idea where the hell it was. I am from Cork so it meant nothing to me. She still calls it Todd's, I had no idea it was the Brown Thomas I was less than a hundred foot from! And she calls pubs by the name of the family that runs them, not by the pub name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

my uncle regularly attends check ups with the 'surgint' who operated on him some years ago...
    also, he always stands for the national 'anthrim'
    town of Ennistymon fairly commonly referred to as 'Ennistymont'

but the holy grail of mispronunciations for me is when people say 'eksetra' for et cetera, begging for a slap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Would of.. Should of..

Gaaaah! Hatton smash!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

dee_mc wrote: »
    my uncle regularly attends check ups with the 'surgint' who operated on him some years ago...
    also, he always stands for the national 'anthrim'
    town of Ennistymon fairly commonly referred to as 'Ennistymont'

but the holy grail of mispronunciations for me is when people say 'eksetra' for et cetera, begging for a slap

Beds etc. Ad on the telly. The fella says 'eksetra' several times. Im tempted to email them.

oh that ad is the bane of my life! (slight exaggeration perhaps!), have become well acquainted with mute button since that ad started :D

just reread your comment, i actually emailed them earlier this evening politely requesting that they might consider a voiceover artist who can properly pronounce the name of their business if and when they record a new advert; not holding my breath but i feel a bit better now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Patch123 wrote: »
    OED appears to have 'Schadenfreude' in English language usage dating back to 1852.

My thoughts exactly. The Simpsons likely had a large role in popularising it, but I was sure it was in use in the English language before then. I wouldn't have linked it to the Simpsons either.

con1982 wrote: »
    Didn't see Are-land get a mention yet. Should revoke passports for that one.

I'm guilty of this! :O I can pronounce it correctly but only if I'm paying attention!

Someone mentioned earlier that it's the Irish way of pronouncing it and hence the correct way! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

Believe me, they most certainly do.

Here is a solpadeine add that might clear that up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jn8neG7vks

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Would of.. Should of..

I always wondered what the negative form of it would be.
    "Wouldn't of"? "Should not of?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

dybbuk wrote: »
    I always wondered what the negative form of it would be.
    "Wouldn't of"? "Should not of?"

Would not have, should not have! But I have heard people saying it that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

mcwinning wrote: »
    Vehicle pronounced as vayhicle.

Tea pronounced as cha.

Comes from this I guess.

Modren or moderin for modern is a good one.

Mentioned previously...Flour and Flower being mixed up. Same pronunciation no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

spurious wrote: »
    Melingitis.

Yes, inflammation of your melons. It's a big worry round here.
    MJ23 wrote: »
    Beds etc. Ad on the telly. The fella says 'eksetra' several times. Im tempted to email them.

I actually have to turn it off. It's like nails on a blackboard.

"Soo-terfuge" is another one that annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

It's only had one mention so far but deserves a thread of its own. Height is not heighth. And that includes you Tom Dunne.

The whole "th" thing in general is a head melt. My missus has recently started to pronouns pretty much every "t" as a soft "th" whether or not the word contains the letter h. Teat becomes teeth, the car now had a booth and her friend's baby has been renamed Thadhg. If I correct her once more I'll be hearing from her solicithor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hostipal,
    Modren,
    Irish people using cockney slang,
    Its keep schtum, not stump.
    Irish (and English) people trying to sound west indies / jamaican "...yeah mon, keeping it real", get a grip!!
    Pumpture for puncture.

KungPao wrote: »
    Comes from this I guess.

Interesting! I thought it was slang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember my father used to always call the hospital "osbital" for some reason.

It's not a mispronunciation but I hate when people say 'irregardless'. It's just 'regardless'!

I also don't like the use of 'orientated'. It's a back-formation of 'orientation'. As far as I'm concerned, 'oriented' is correct.

also 'purr-ogative'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just heard someone say "anyul" instead of annual. Fairly irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A lot of the farmers around here say they are going to have to get the "vit" when needing a vet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement