Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Multiplying by a factor of 9x to account for per capita levels vs Dublin (1.4m), that’s the equivalent of 171 cases in Donegal. If this continues, I’d say we’re on track for a potential Level 3.

19 again today. The trend is continuing to be steady/increasing which isn’t good. No sign of reducing numbers and local rumour mill would indicate more high numbers to come.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    19 again today. The trend is continuing to be steady/increasing which isn’t good. No sign of reducing numbers and local rumour mill would indicate more high numbers to come.

Agreed. I know of 3 confirmed cases not a million miles from me.
    I also know enough about those cases to state with certainty there will be more, unfortunately - simply because of the jobs the poor patients have.

Local rumour is there are a further 5 cases, minimum. I can't confirm that - but I'm sufficiently concerned that I stocked up my store cupboard today, my freezers nearly full - and will be full by tomorrow evening when I get some meat and chicken delivered - and I'm only going out for milk for the next few weeks.

Donegal was always going to be at high risk of outbreaks, anyway.

We have a high percentage of people leaving the County for work, and education, together with more tourists than usual this year - when you think about it that way, it's surprising that we haven't had a lot of cases before now.
    We undoubtedly would have had, if the Country hadn't locked down.

Not having up to date information, or more localised information for a County as big as Donegal, really doesn't help, either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not having up to date information, or more localised information for a County as big as Donegal, really doesn't help, either.

As one of the health experts said, assume you have it and assume everyone you're meeting has it, act accordingly (follow all the guidelines) and you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As of 3 days ago, there were 2 patients hospitalised in Letterkenny with Covid. As far as I'm aware Altnagelvin has a similar number.

73 nationwide (in ROI).

As one of the health experts said, assume you have it and assume everyone you're meeting has it, act accordingly (follow all the guidelines) and you should be fine.

I already do. Having said that, I'd also like to reduce my chances of meeting anyone who has it - not because I want to ostracised those who have it, but because I want to reduce the chance of bringing it home to my husband, who has serious health issues.

I'm aware that some people don't follow the recommendations.
    I'm also not stupid enough to believe that every person who became ill with Covid-19 didn't follow recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

21 further cases announced today and as stated earlier its probably safe to assume that the figures will rise if even half of the rumours are to be believed.

Id be surprised if we werent moved up to level 3 this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

And Monday has typically been a day for under reporting. I fear it's a case of when, not if, for moving us up to Level 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would pretty good at following the guidelines re masks keeping my distance handwashing ect but it just goes to show you how easily you could be caught out. On 7th sept a friend and her husband called to our house today I got a message from her saying her husband was tested on the 16th Thankfully it was negative
    But it could easily have been the other way And me having an underlaying condition into the bargain
    I said from today on no one is passing my front door until this is well calmed down

Another premises closed, Kelly's Diner in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Businesses (particularly cafés & restaurants) that have to close may find it difficult to attract customers back after re-opening. A few people at work today saying they'll be avoiding Kelly's for a while until they're sure none of the staff are carriers and the place is "safe".
    Even more worrying is the potential reaction if one or more of the major food retailers has to close.

• Advertisement

Businesses (particularly cafés & restaurants) that have to close may find it difficult to attract customers back after re-opening. A few people at work today saying they'll be avoiding Kelly's for a while until they're sure none of the staff are carriers and the place is "safe".
    Even more worrying is the potential reaction if one or more of the major food retailers has to close.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the businesses that are being very open about what's happening. I'm sure there are places trying to keep things quiet so they don't have to close, I know of one for sure. They're the ones you'd need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I wouldn't be overly worried about the businesses that are being very open about what's happening. I'm sure there are places trying to keep things quiet so they don't have to close, I know of one for sure. They're the ones you'd need to worry about.

I would agree with this 100%. I know that the local Mexican restaurant in Letterkenny were so upfront about the entire process, they would have likely lost 0 customers and are as busy as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was down the town today and saw a sign on County Seat's door saying they were closed due to testing.

But was in Courtyard as well and they actually had someone at the entrance telling people to wear their masks.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But was in Courtyard as well and they actually had someone at the entrance telling people to wear their masks.

This is a good thing, I think. We shouldn't be sitting back waiting for the Government to officially move us into a different level, or impose more restrictions. We can see the numbers rising ourselves and should be taking steps ourselves.
    The enforcement of masks is a funny one. I've seen lots of people approaching shops with no mask on and if there's a staff member at the door, they pull one out of their bag and put it on. Or waiting to see what other customers are doing and then putting it on. It's like there's still a lot of sheepy behaviour going on. People waiting to see what the rest of the crowd are doing and then following along.

I wonder why Donegal has such a high infection rate this time around. We are second now only to Dublin.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/latest-covid-19-data-donegal-has-highest-incidence-rate-outside-dublin-1018748.html

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

Heighway61 wrote: »
    I wonder why Donegal has such a high infection rate this time around. We are second now only to Dublin.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/latest-covid-19-data-donegal-has-highest-incidence-rate-outside-dublin-1018748.html

My own personal hypothesis is due to our proximity and links to the North, whom are dealing with their own surge of cases at the minute.

Highlands Hotel in Glenties closed also apparently

sp00k wrote: »
    My own personal hypothesis is due to our proximity and links to the North, whom are dealing with their own surge of cases at the minute.
    Makes sense.

And Castle Grove House, Letterkenny just announced their closure.

It's probably a combination of that and an extremely busy tourist season that was packed into about 5 or 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think we are for Level 3 this weekend.

Increase again today, up by thirty, first behind Dublin. Expect news for us in the briefing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I definitely think we are going to move up a level possibly from Friday night. The first communion which was planned for Saturday in Stranorlar has been brought forward to tomorrow evening. Parents received texts on Monday advising them to be prepared for a possible change of date but today they were officially notified of the change. Short notice but could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Increase again today, up by thirty, first behind Dublin. Expect news for us in the briefing.

It's starting to take off. Lots of dumbf##ks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

In my honest opinion I don't think level 3 will make much of a difference the way things are going.
    Some people will still do there own thing no matter what,

It's starting to take off. Lots of dumbf##ks.
    Seems some people just do not care. Large outbreak in Lifford due to travel to Dublin and then back to a house party.

IMO have warned that "young people in Donegal are playing Russian Roulette with Covid-19".

• Advertisement

Seems some people just do not care. Large outbreak in Lifford due to travel to Dublin and then back to a house party.

IMO have warned that "young people in Donegal are playing Russian Roulette with Covid-19".

I can't say that some young people are not disregarding the advice - but I think ignoring the fact that there have been a number of cases in hotels, restaurants, and other places of business is very, very disingenuous.

The Country opened up, and like a lot of other Countries, the virus multiplied.
    But we in Donegal are meant to believe that our cases are all caused by recklessness in our youth?

Just because the stats say a certain age group have a higher incidence of infection does NOT mean that all of that age group are responsible.
    Younger people are more likely not to have progressed enough in their careers to be able to work from home. They're also more likely to be working minimum wage jobs in hospitality.

Certainly the people I know who are infected almost undoubtedly got it at work - and some of them are young.
    To blame young people solely for the spread of the virus will not encourage them to comply with restrictions.

Quite the opposite. Those that did comply are likely to be angry enough to react to being wrongly accused - and rebel.

Not to mention, if everyone is busy being angry at young people, they're less likely to analyse the effectiveness of the Government, the HSE, and NPHET...

I can't say that some young people are not disregarding the advice - but I think ignoring the fact that there have been a number of cases in hotels, restaurants, and other places of business is very, very disingenuous.

The Country opened up, and like a lot of other Countries, the virus multiplied.
    But we in Donegal are meant to believe that our cases are all caused by recklessness in our youth?

Just because the stats say a certain age group have a higher incidence of infection does NOT mean that all of that age group are responsible.
    Younger people are more likely not to have progressed enough in their careers to be able to work from home. They're also more likely to be working minimum wage jobs in hospitality.

Certainly the people I know who are infected almost undoubtedly got it at work - and some of them are young.
    To blame young people solely for the spread of the virus will not encourage them to comply with restrictions.

Quite the opposite. Those that did comply are likely to be angry enough to react to being wrongly accused - and rebel.

Not to mention, if everyone is busy being angry at young people, they're less likely to analyse the effectiveness of the Government, the HSE, and NPHET...
    I wasn't saying that young people are soley responsible for the large numbers in Donegal, but commenting on one of a number of reasons and on one particular cluster, and referencing the IMO opinion on this.

This wasn't a work related outbreak. A person travelled to Dublin, the area of Ireland with the largest outbreak of the virus, travelled back to Donegal infected, attended a house party, infected 8 others who in turn infected their households.

That's what happened in this case. Social activity, not work activity, when we have been asked to limit social activity. Previously in this thread I have referred to clusters where it was work related (factory in Dungloe). Others have pointed to our proximity to Northern Ireland as another possible reason for the large Donegal numbers.

So, I was wondering why the large numbers in Donegal and this thread and other sources suggest:

not limiting social activity
    work related activity
    proximty to Northern Ireland

as some of the main reasons.

This wasn't a work related outbreak. A person travelled to Dublin, the area of Ireland with the largest outbreak of the virus, travelled back to Donegal infected, attended a house party, infected 8 others who in turn infected their households.

Just goes to show that it can be a small number of stupid people who are ruining it for an entire population.

Vast majority of Donegal residents are behaving themselves. But the maths shows it only takes a few people misbehaving to make things go out of control.

And have the CMO talking about the county as a whole in the news.

So who's organising the lockdown rave this weekend? I have the Jive Bunny Megamix ready to go.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So who's organising the lockdown rave this weekend? I have the Jive Bunny Megamix ready to go.
    You can have it in my hay shed if you like.

As long as you don't mind a time-lock on the doors set for 14 days.

• Advertisement

You can have it in my hay shed if you like.

As long as you don't mind a time-lock on the doors set for 14 days.

Sounds like the plot of a horror film you'd see on the Horror Channel.

"4 friends attend a rave at a barn only to find themselves locked in with a deadly disease spreading"

Level 3 from tonight according to Irish Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It was inevitable.

I saw numerous examples today of total lack of adherence to the rules.

I saw about 50 or 60 students from the local college all out and about during their dinner break. Not one wore a mask. And all in tight groups, zero social distancing. Many of the young lads carrying on, jumping on each other. I appreciate They have to wear masks in school and probably don't want to wear them when outside, but their behaviours were simply ideal breeding ground for the virus.

And also seen plenty of older folk standing chatting outside supermarkets with inches between them. Again no masks.

If I saw this in a 10min visit to town, it shows it is probably happening all the time. We have no-one to blame but ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Ekerot

God Damn Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

42 cases in tonight's figures :mad:

Lockdown from midnight tonight, for 3x weeks

And when it happens you'll still see the ignorant ignoring restrictions while businesses that have been adhering to the rules have to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

So are pubs that serve food allow to continue serving indoors, with so-called wet pubs outdoor only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

So are pubs that serve food allow to continue serving indoors, with so-called wet pubs outdoor only?

If they serve food they're "dry"

• Advertisement

The inconsistency in the response plan is mind boggling . Saw the police going from door to door of the pubs in this part of Donegal. Saw lots of people spilling out. These level responses are a mixture of politics and medicine. It will take more than waffle to stop the high incidence of this outbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

NIMAN wrote: »

Why hit rural areas behaving themselves cos Letterkenny isn't?
    It was inevitable.

I saw numerous examples today of total lack of adherence to the rules.

I saw about 50 or 60 students from the local college all out and about during their dinner break. Not one wore a mask. And all in tight groups, zero social distancing. Many of the young lads carrying on, jumping on each other. I appreciate They have to wear masks in school and probably don't want to wear them when outside, but their behaviours were simply ideal breeding ground for the virus.

And also seen plenty of older folk standing chatting outside supermarkets with inches between them. Again no masks.

If I saw this in a 10min visit to town, it shows it is probably happening all the time. We have no-one to blame but ourselves.

So it's not just Letterkenny people who can't behave themselves?

Technique wrote: »

So it's not just Letterkenny people who can't behave themselves?

It's not, it appears. But when I typed that Letterkenny had made the 6 o clock news regarding an outbreak.

The figure per 100000 for Lifford Stranorlar is approx 300....ridiculous.

It's not the government's fault, it's the people's.

It's not, it appears. But when I typed that Letterkenny had made the 6 o clock news regarding an outbreak.

The figure per 100000 for Lifford Stranorlar is approx 300....ridiculous.

It's not the government's fault, it's the people's.

Absolutely the people's fault. The only people who keep the law are those who want to. But also don't ignore the shambles that test and tracing is. The easy part was locking everyone in his/her house. The deficiencies in the response and lack of planning are there to see. The public's behavior was and is predictable. Excuses can be made for covid fatigue etc. The reality is that the virus doesn't give a f***k.

So Stranorlar is 336!

And to beat the lockdown they are having their communions tonight instead of at the weekend...So they are going into panic mode to get them squeezed in....yeah that'll help the figures. No doubt they will have extended families back at homes for parties afterwards.

I know that Fahan's figures seemed high previously due to the nursing home rather than the general area. Is the same happening in Stranorlar?

I wasn't saying that young people are soley responsible for the large numbers in Donegal, but commenting on one of a number of reasons and on one particular cluster, and referencing the IMO opinion on this.

That's what happened in this case. Social activity, not work activity, when we have been asked to limit social activity. Previously in this thread I have referred to clusters where it was work related (factory in Dungloe). Others have pointed to our proximity to Northern Ireland as another possible reason for the large Donegal numbers.

So, I was wondering why the large numbers in Donegal and this thread and other sources suggest:

not limiting social activity
    work related activity
    proximty to Northern Ireland

as some of the main reasons.

Sorry, Heighway61.
    I replied to your post on my phone, after reading several articles by NPHET and various experts, all blatantly pointing the finger at young people in Donegal (some of whom are really irresponsible, in fairness) - and I didn't make it clear that it was the "experts" accusations that I was referring to, not your comments.

Message to self: Don't respond to someone on Boards when you're really annoyed with someone else, unless you're going to make it clear who you're annoyed with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Technique wrote: »
    I know that Fahan's figures seemed high previously due to the nursing home rather than the general area. Is the same happening in Stranorlar?

Being mainly 15-24 year olds, probably not.

/\/ollog wrote: »

Ok, didn't know that was the age group affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

/\/ollog wrote:

Was that not the age across the country?

Advertisement