Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

fdevine wrote: »
    North Clare is very accessible from Galway - Burren, Ailwee Caves & Birds of Prey, Cliffs of Moher etc.

Haven't been to Ailwee Caves since I was a kid myself, totally didn't think of there!!
    Great stuff thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Myself and husband have the first 2 weeks of August booked off but no holiday booked yet and from looking now it's either booked up or really expensive (2 adults and 3 kids). We live in South Donegal and explored north Donegal last summer which was amazing.

I have a relative in Galway we could stay with to save on accom so thinking of fun things to do there-without having to go into the city centre. I'm looking at Aran Islands for a day(rent bikes) etc, anything else that would be nice/outdoor/child friendly from Galway city centre as a base?

Thanks!

Aran islands, inisbofin, leitir muillin islands (coral beaches)
    Connemara
    Lough corrib drive
    Turoe pet farm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Heading to Westport weekend and restaurants reserved. Heading to Achill for a day

Any other suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Summer staycation part 1 this past weekend. Camping with the kids in Connemara - pretty much rained from a few hours after arrival on Friday evening until a few hours before we left this morning. Became windier and colder as the weekend progressed. Can’t wait for part two in July when I’ll be praying that the weather gods are kinder to us.

In fairness it wasn’t all bad and the kids had a ball but we’ll all be high tailing it to warmer climes from 2022 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Garzorico wrote: »
    Summer staycation part 1 this past weekend. Camping with the kids in Connemara - pretty much rained from a few hours after arrival on Friday evening until a few hours before we left this morning. Became windier and colder as the weekend progressed. Can’t wait for part two in July when I’ll be praying that the weather gods are kinder to us.

In fairness it wasn’t all bad and the kids had a ball but we’ll all be high tailing it to warmer climes from 2022 onwards.

Its that rain that kills holidays in Ireland for me.
    If you have nice weather in Ireland you cant beat it, but when you get rain its a terrible experience. And you just cant depend on the weather here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JimmyVik wrote:
    Its that rain that kills holidays in Ireland for me. If you have nice weather in Ireland you cant beat it, but when you get rain its a terrible experience. And you just cant depend on the weather here.

Tis a stunning country when the weathers like today, but in the rain....

Think its Iceland for me this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Heading to Westport weekend and restaurants reserved. Heading to Achill for a day

Any other suggestions

Stayed in the Wyatt there a week ago, couldn't fault it really, drove up to Achill where we had a look at the famine village in Doagh, grand drive though major roadworks outside Achill

Stayed in the Wyatt there a week ago, couldn't fault it really, drove up to Achill where we had a look at the famine village in Doagh, grand drive though major roadworks outside Achill

Cheers Doagh is up in Donegal did that last year and scary drive and place was closed :(

Yeah plan to visit few beaches in Achill and maybe picnic and few food trucks around the island. May look at other drives along the coast as done the wild atlantic way but want to see small places off the beaten track and there are some beaten track roads in Ireland :D

Doing cruise around the harbour. And checking the weather its due to rain:mad:....I think it follows us when we travel in ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭finbarrk

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Its that rain that kills holidays in Ireland for me.
    If you have nice weather in Ireland you cant beat it, but when you get rain its a terrible experience. And you just cant depend on the weather here.

That is 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Any other suggestions

If you've any interest in a bit of hiking, this loop is excellent - about 1 hour 15 mins from Westport. Not too difficult and the views are fantastic. Well marked the whole way also.

https://www.sportireland.ie/outdoors/walking/trails/benwee-loop-walk

Could take in Downpatrick Head on the way back also if you wanted to. We did similar one day on June bank holiday weekend, but we were staying in Belmullet so a bit closer than you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Cheers Doagh is up in Donegal did that last year and scary drive and place was closed :(

Yeah plan to visit few beaches in Achill and maybe picnic and few food trucks around the island. May look at other drives along the coast as done the wild atlantic way but want to see small places off the beaten track and there are some beaten track roads in Ireland :D

Doing cruise around the harbour. And checking the weather its due to rain:mad:....I think it follows us when we travel in ireland :rolleyes:

I didn't explain that properly, the village is called slievemore near the village of Dooagh in Achill

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Padkir wrote: »
    If you've any interest in a bit of hiking, this loop is excellent - about 1 hour 15 mins from Westport. Not too difficult and the views are fantastic. Well marked the whole way also.

Was about to recommend the same! Plenty beautiful beaches and dramatic scenery if you like the outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Any other suggestions

Westport House is well worth a wander around.

The area out around Louisburgh is nice or continue along the coast.

If you were feeling energetic you could do Croagh Patrick.

Cong might be worth the 40 minute drive - Ashford Castle, Birds of Prey Centre, Pidgeon Hole Cave, Heritage Trail and more, but if only staying the weekend you may not want to drive too far.

Further afield than Cong, if on a longer stay, Omey Island & Dog's Bay

Thanks for all the suggestions

Unfortunately can't do long walks not all family members and parents not able for it

Will spend most of one day driving around achill and possibly go for a sea swim.

Have dinner booked in Westport house so will be walking around that

Cruise also and sure we'll eat and drink a few indoor in the hotel and outdoors around westport..

No where is the warm weather as rain predicted this weekend :-(

try the museum of country life outside Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Any other suggestions

Take a spin out to Leenane / Killary Fjord and stop into the Misunderstood Heron for lunch.... The scenic drive back to Westport is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

So we're heading to self catering accommodation within a hotel resort next Friday and looking forward to it :)

Got a call from them last week wondering if we wanted to reserve a table for dinner in the hotel. I asked was there any outdoor dining options (we're not fully vaccinated and have a toddler so will be eating early...). Was told nope. Also by the sounds of it no outdoor pinting options either...bit gutted to be honest.

Big enough place, really think they could of made some effort to allow people the option of an 'outdoor summer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

JayReale wrote: »
    Take a spin out to Leenane / Killary Fjord and stop into the Misunderstood Heron for lunch.... The scenic drive back to Westport is stunning.

2nd this.

Take the WWW from Westport via old head and past Doolough Lake too. No nicer part of the world .

Get as far as Kyle more abbey too

Leave lots of time for queuing at misunderstood heron too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

Midsummer coming next week and for Finns it means usually cabin middle of nowhere, barbeque, swimming in lake and getting drunk while watching midnight sun.

I know this time I need to skip the midnight sun, but would there be place close to South Dublin to do rest of that? Cabin by lake or just camping site?

Hudur wrote: »
    Midsummer coming next week and for Finns it means usually cabin middle of nowhere, barbeque, swimming in lake and getting drunk while watching midnight sun.

I know this time I need to skip the midnight sun, but would there be place close to South Dublin to do rest of that? Cabin by lake or just camping site?

Are you a Finn?
    There is nothing in Ireland like midsummer festival in afraid!
    There are a few festivals which go back to ancient pagan rituals, but they are not the big night like in Finland :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are you a Finn?
    There is nothing in Ireland like midsummer festival in afraid!
    There are a few festivals which go back to ancient pagan rituals, but they are not the big night like in Finland :(

Yeah, I am :) Just looking place to go with my girlfriend for couple of days. Got enough of Dublin with all lockdowns. Not looking for festival, but to get away from people in to some kind of nature :D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Yeah, I am :) Just looking place to go with my girlfriend for couple of days. Got enough of Dublin with all lockdowns. Not looking for festival, but to get away from people in to some kind of nature :D

Have a look on Airbnb, they have a filter for cabins though availability could be low.

What about glamping in a yurt like in port salon?

So kalsarikannit???!!

Unfortunately, not many chances! There are places where there have bonfires and maybe barbeques, but not to many saunas, lake dips etc :(
    Best hope would be look for a n Air B&B near a lake, or with their own hot tub.
    Won't be too many naked I'm afraid!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Curraghrevagh house in Galway have a sauna by a lake and you can use rowing boats while there. A bit more luxurious than a cabin though. It would be really really nice.

There used to be a mobile sauna in wicklow but not sure if it’s still going.

Get train to somewhere with lakes nearby, eg Mullingar

Some lovely spots to watch a sunset within easy cycling distance
    Failing that, go all out and head to aran islands and watch the hundreds of bonfires on the mainland on june 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭dinneenp

You definitely got the better end of that deal..

Just had a look on home exchange, 427 irish houses available, not sure how many want to swap for something within Ireland, haven't used it myself but heard good reports from people who have they were all swapping for something out foreign though bc.

There's a few house exchange sites, anyone recommend one over another?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

Absolutely crazy price. Hotel on the west coast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not really its 101 euro per person per night
    That's hardly crazy money ,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What type of 'hotel' is it....some B&Bs call themselves hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

What type of 'hotel' is it....some B&Bs call themselves hotels.

It's a 4 star hotel!

Advertisement