Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmm..... wonder how long will the shadowy puppet-masters from the wind swept hills continue to pull the strings of the puppets in the show box.

Folk with skin in the game, ie something to lose , will always be wary of the shadowy figures in the background.

Long way to go before that piece of rotten meat has been excised.

That’s the long and the short of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,859 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hmm..... wonder how long will the shadowy puppet-masters from the wind swept hills continue to pull the strings of the puppets in the show box.

Folk with skin in the game, ie something to lose , will always be wary of the shadowy figures in the background.

Long way to go before that piece of rotten meat has been excised.

That’s the long and the short of it.

The DUP way Brendan? Ignore it and it might go away?

That hoary old nonsense got old in the lead up to the election.

downcow wrote: »
    Well at least Blaaz is honest on this one. This is the reason we cannot countenance an Irish language act. This is just one of many questions I could ask which would demonstrate how this would be used to wind us up.
    A few on here may disagree, but this is exactly the same as loyalist parades in Catholic areas - which of course no longer take place.
    This would be so divisive. Every Unionist area you went into, signs would be defaced and you would know exactly where you were by how the compulsory irish signs were treated.
    This request for Irish language signs everywhere is from the same people who were so insistent to remove the union flag from public buildings.
    You really couldn't make it up - the hypocrisy.

This is also why you will find that every single Unionist party in Northern Ireland from the most extreme to the most moderate as opposed to an Irish language act - we simply do not trust them

As i said,you think so little of nationlists,you cant stomach an irish language act (equating it to having uvf banners walking through catholics areas,only serves to highlight your disgust at all.things irish)

Little wonder time has run out on your union....

NI has been a complete and utter failure,unionists have failed to make nationlists welcome,and demographics have ultimately caught up.....

an irish language act,ultimately harms noone,but refusal to contence one has just highlighted the utter failure of NI,unionism and powersharing....pull the plug,nothing ever gonna change otherwise

Edgware wrote: »
    Not completely brainless, they have the ability to plagiarise Jack and the Beanstalk economic policy of the use of magic beans

Given the way,the ECB just magiced up 750 billion last week,way stockmarkets are performing

only serves to highlight,how complete and utterly corrupt,the whole system is

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

As i said,you think so little of nationlists,you cant stomach an irish language act (equating it to having uvf banners walking through catholics areas,only serves to highlight your disgust at all.things irish)

Little wonder time has run out on your union....

NI has been a complete and utter failure,unionists have failed to make nationlists welcome,and demographics have ultimately caught up.....

an irish language act,ultimately harms noone,but refusal to contence one has just highlighted the utter failure of NI,unionism and powersharing....pull the plug,nothing ever gonna change otherwise

I wonder how the Unionists would react when the rest of the UK throws them under the bus. All of a sudden an Irish Language Act looks minor compared to economic catastrophe.

See also: Brexit, covid-19

• Advertisement

I wonder how the Unionists would react when the rest of the UK throws them under the bus. All of a sudden an Irish Language Act looks minor compared to economic catastrophe.

See also: Brexit, covid-19

The truth of the matter that belligerent Unionism won't publicly address is that the rest of the UK thinks that fishing is more important than a Union with NI in it.

The truth of the matter that belligerent Unionism won't publicly address is that the rest of the UK thinks that fishing is more important than a Union with NI in it.

Unionists allowed abortion and gay marriage to be passed in Northern Ireland because it viewed its Unionism to be more important than either of the two social issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jm08 wrote: »
    How is it possible that an inanimate sign would wind you up?

I guess it is the same reason an inanimate flag on the city hall wound so many nationalists up.

Of course you also see the problem on the last few pages. Some republicans say they will only be Irish language signs where the community wants them (whatever that means) and others are saying they will be in all areas and unionists will just have to suck it up.
    And that’s the situation on many other questions eg will someone be able to stand trial in orish?
    And you expect us to support this vague notion

I guess it is the same reason an inanimate flag on the city hall wound so many nationalists up.

It isn't 'inanimate' when it is used to taunt and triumphalise or abnormally. Once again Unionism lost it's **** over something that is perceived to be 'normal' in the rest of the UK..emphasising that they are different to the rest of the UK.

The existence of dual language signs in Fermanagh and Omagh where there are many Unionists shows that they are non-threatening and an enhancement to the area.

• Advertisement

Of course you also see the problem on the last few pages. Some republicans say they will only be Irish language signs where the community wants them (whatever that means) and others are saying they will be in all areas and unionists will just have to suck it up.
    And that’s the situation on many other questions eg will someone be able to stand trial in orish?
    And you expect us to support this vague notion

Maybe read the proposed act? It was never going to be complusory.

Would the Unionists allow Counites Fermanagh and Tyrone to be annexed by the RoI so that the Unionists keep their majority in Northern Ireland? After all one of the suggestion for partition in 1921 was a 4-county Ulster.

Would the Unionists allow Counites Fermanagh and Tyrone to be annexed by the RoI so that the Unionists keep their majority in Northern Ireland? After all one of the suggestion for partition in 1921 was a 4-county Ulster.

NI deosnt work,split/redesign it,whatever way you want....it still wont work.....powersharing was a great hope/prospect,but its been an utter failure and wont ever work either

Its been a failure,rejigging it,to have unionists lord it over nationlists like they did 1922 to 1969 in a smaller area,is only gonna end the same way again?

Just pull the plug,and reunify....its only reasonable choice left,from.what i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I am not saying I want any of the suggestions. I am simply pointing out that it would be rediculous for unionists to enter discussions on a hypothetical UI. Equally as rediculous as republicans entering a discussion on maintaining NIs position in the uk permanently.
    It would be like asking turkeys to enter discussion on improving the range of stuffings available at Christmas

What?

The GFA provides for the roadmap to a border poll for a UI already.

Unionists have signed up to that.

Why would you not want to enter negotiations on a UI in the run up to a border poll?

It's too late for making demands. Your job is to show that the status quo is better than a UI. The days of demanding concessions are over.

Joanne Bunting and Edwin Poots might disagree Francesco...and those who voted for them.

And they're the standard by which we should measure unionists and their requirements?

Beligerent bigots like them have no place in Ireland's future. Giving them oxygen doesn't help anyone.

Well at least Blaaz is honest on this one. This is the reason we cannot countenance an Irish language act. This is just one of many questions I could ask which would demonstrate how this would be used to wind us up.
    A few on here may disagree, but this is exactly the same as loyalist parades in Catholic areas - which of course no longer take place.
    This would be so divisive. Every Unionist area you went into, signs would be defaced and you would know exactly where you were by how the compulsory irish signs were treated.
    This request for Irish language signs everywhere is from the same people who were so insistent to remove the union flag from public buildings.
    You really couldn't make it up - the hypocrisy.

This is also why you will find that every single Unionist party in Northern Ireland from the most extreme to the most moderate as opposed to an Irish language act - we simply do not trust them

No matter how many times you say it it is not the same.

Your fear of the fada is pathetic.

---

The removal of the Union flag from public buildings was to bring Northern Ireland into line WITH THE REST OF THE UK regarding its display.

---

Felt that needed to be reiterated and removed from your whataboutery pile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Now that, as Francie has helpfully confirmed, FG and FF are implementing SF policies, there's obviously no further requirement whatsoever for SF to participate in Southern politics.

I asume that Big Mac will shortly be moving a motion to wind up the Southern Chapter of the party on the basis that "ár lá" has now "toichfaidh-ed".

Now that, as Francie has helpfully confirmed, FG and FF are implementing SF policies, there's obviously no further requirement whatsoever for SF to participate in Southern politics.

I asume that Big Mac will shortly be moving a motion to wind up the Southern Chapter of the party on the basis that "ár lá" has now "toichfaidh-ed".

Watch FF and FG make a complete hames of it or as it more usual...completely revert to type once they get in the comfy seats.

And they're the standard by which we should measure unionists and their requirements?

Beligerent bigots like them have no place in Ireland's future. Giving them oxygen doesn't help anyone.

People voted for them, my friend, people voted for them.

You need to establish that piece of reality before before the shadowy figures from the windswept hills screw the place up again.

Those shadowy figures don’t give two hoots about your job or mine or anyone else’s.

Think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I was laughing at the idea that you would be sitting there waiting to be convinced by a party you have a hate of.

That, as you know will never happen.

The border poll when it comes will have a proposal as the formulation of it...same as the GFA asked if we wanted to change the constitution.

That will be a proposal coming from the Irish government of the time. It wont be 'Edgware agin the Shinners'.
    I havent a hate of them. I just laugh when I see the make believe republican useful idiots being led up the garden path by the fishwife while ex republican Scapaticci is off enjoying himself in the sun.

• Advertisement

People voted for them, my friend, people voted for them.

You need to establish that piece of reality before before the shadowy figures from the windswept hills screw the place up again.

Those shadowy figures don’t give two hoots about your job or mine or anyone else’s.

Think.

And because of those you feel there's a validity to their brand of bigotry and hatred?

Say the KKK stood candidates would you be so quick to say "People voted for them"?

Beligerent-Bigoted-Unionism's day is done. And it has no place in a modern society.

Edgware wrote: »
    I havent a hate of them. I just laugh when I see the make believe republican useful idiots being led up the garden path by the fishwife while ex republican Scapaticci is off enjoying himself in the sun.

No you don't laugh...don't be trying to cod anyone. You cannot bear a woman delivering this...is that what all the sexist cliches, (that say more about you btw) are about?

I would not want to be part of a state that was dependant on a unionist majority. I am more interested in a state that we all believe in.
    A few on here tell us about the terrible failure ni is. I’m not sure how you measure this but relatively speaking the residents seem pretty happy. The catholic population has flourished and hasn’t run off to live in this garden of Eden down south and prods and newcomers also seem fairly content. If that’s a failed state then I’m happy to live in a failed state.

But yes, I think those of us who love ni will consider any option should the hypothetical dreaded all-island fantasy project ever happen.

What?

The GFA provides for the roadmap to a border poll for a UI already.

Unionists have signed up to that.

Why would you not want to enter negotiations on a UI in the run up to a border poll?

It's too late for making demands. Your job is to show that the status quo is better than a UI. The days of demanding concessions are over.

Not a chance

No matter how many times you say it it is not the same.

Your fear of the fada is pathetic.

---

The removal of the Union flag from public buildings was to bring Northern Ireland into line WITH THE REST OF THE UK regarding its display.

---

Felt that needed to be reiterated and removed from your whataboutery pile.

Tell me where in the uk it is illegal to fly the union flag. You are at your nonsense again.

And because of those you feel there's a validity to their brand of bigotry and hatred?

Say the KKK stood candidates would you be so quick to say "People voted for them"?

Beligerent-Bigoted-Unionism's day is done. And it has no place in a modern society.

You are inferring a lot there big man. None of it remotely implied.

I’m just keeping it real, M’kay?

I would not want to be part of a state that was dependant on a unionist majority. I am more interested in a state that we all believe in.
    A few on here tell us about the terrible failure ni is. I’m not sure how you measure this but relatively speaking the residents seem pretty happy. The catholic population has flourished and hasn’t run off to live in this garden of Eden down south and prods and newcomers also seem fairly content. If that’s a failed state then I’m happy to live in a failed state.

But yes, I think those of us who love ni will consider any option should the hypothetical dreaded all-island fantasy project ever happen.

The 'catholic population' have stayed because it's their country.
    It's the likes of Arlene Foster who have said she will abandon her people when things don't go her way.
    Besides the catholic population started a UI process in 69, they are not known for abandoning what they start even if they have made the place much better to live in.

Tell me where in the uk it is illegal to fly the union flag. You are at your nonsense again.

Serious strammanning going on here

That poster didnt say remotely what you implied he did and then you proceed to critise him for what your imagination said

:pac:

Serious strammanning going on here

That poster didnt say remotely what you implied he did and then you proceed to critise him for what your imagination said

:pac:

Completely disingenuous posting by downcow again. Serial activity at this stage.

• Advertisement

Why would they run off? They're already home. Are you suggesting ethnically cleansing people out of their homes and neighbourhoods?

Advertisement