Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier league 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭Trampas

Wikipedia has her down to face mvg. I’d nearly want him to win 7-0 to put this to bed.

Fine if getting there on merit but it’s just pr stunt from match room to generate more money

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hearn said he was in because of his great year...YEAR being the word he used

in the same year, plenty other earned more, won more and were left out

It really doesn't matter Justin, you know this. It's a glorified exhibition tour, who had the better year is completely irrelevant. It's purely about who sells the most tickets and Duzza is well liked and someone new.

For 'proper' darts fans, the Premier League is utterly meaningless but it is important to the PDC as it's a huge money earner and allows them to offer high prize money in the actual ranked tournaments.

As usual, I probably won't watch any of the Premier League until finals night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Trampas wrote: »
    Wikipedia has her down to face mvg. I’d nearly want him to win 7-0 to put this to bed.

Fine if getting there on merit but it’s just pr stunt from match room to generate more money

She's there for one night. The world isn't going to stop turning

She won two matches in the world championship. One a very high profile win against the 11th seed. Her matches were the talk of the event. Viewing figures were sky high. She was trending on Social Media. She appeared on the major morning tv chat shows

Again this is all business. Her appearance will get people talking, will attract more viewers and get new people watching (and exposed to) the Premier League, on that night. Its a no-brainer business wise including her. Its "PR stunts" like this which will ensures darts is able to pay its stars big money and keep the sport at a high standard for the future. Not long ago only a few players could afford to be truly full-time pros - hence the standard was way lower given a lot of players had much less time to practice, juggling with a day job

Lets not be naive enough to think life is fair and everyone should be rewarded accordingly. If a few other pros are put out by it - then tough. Life isn't always fair - in any industry for that matter

I wish her well myself. She never asked for all this. She's just gone on and done her job, as it happens it has catapulted her to fame. No matter the score you're having an absolute laugh if you think a 7-0 defeat will put this "to bed". She will be on reality Tv in some form I'd wager during the year, will continue to appear on chat shows, get exhibition work and so on. All the best to her, and its great to see her make a nice living for herself and her young kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Trampas wrote: »
    it’s just pr stunt from match room to generate more money

That is what tney are about maximising their profits.

anyone pretending otherwise is fairly naive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter Justin, you know this. It's a glorified exhibition tour, who had the better year is completely irrelevant. It's purely about who sells the most tickets and Duzza is well liked and someone new.

For 'proper' darts fans, the Premier League is utterly meaningless but it is important to the PDC as it's a huge money earner and allows them to offer high prize money in the actual ranked tournaments.

As usual, I probably won't watch any of the Premier League until finals night.

I dont disagree.

But do you seriously consider Durrant as a player that is PL type ?
    I find him slow and boring,

Then gurney is a miserable twat

And smith looks like a child who sulks when things do not go his way.

I rather see De Zwaan, Dimitri, or any of the most quicker type of player since it is only a glorified non ranking exbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I dont disagree.

I find him slow and boring,

Then gurney is a miserable twat

And smith looks like a child who sulks when things do not go his way.

I rather see De Zwaan, Dimitri, or any of the most quicker type of player since it is only a glorified non ranking exbo

I like Durrant - but agree that in the context of PL - the players you list are a better fit in my view
    The thing is currently a snooze fest with the likes of Gurney in there so no point adding more similar players. The rest of them only seem interested half the time eg Smith, Cross, even mvg
    I'd prefer to see JdZ, Dobey, Humphries, Evans etcc in there

Currently I think it's top 4 in the rankings + others - but they've just picked the next 5 more or less!
    If it's top 4 + others then take a leap of faith and put in some of these younger/quicker/more exciting players

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I find him slow and boring

I agree with you, but obviously Barry Hearn thinks he is a bankable player.

I would have De Zwaan in there but I don't think he's done enough on TV to be known by the casual fan.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I agree with you, but obviously Barry Hearn thinks he is a bankable player.

I would have De Zwaan in there but I don't think he's done enough on TV to be known by the casual fan.

all the more reason to pick him and make him known to the casual fan.

the casual already knows the stroppy smith and miserable gurney

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

God help me casuals if Justin Pipe ever qualifies for the premier league

Imagine Pipe vs Durrant jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

Getting tired of this Sherrock thing already.
    She won two games at the worlds.

I am happy for her and respect what she did but she's skipping the queue here and it will piss alot of the maijn tour players off.

• Advertisement

Might need to put an addendum to the thread title at this stage "Sherrock is not actually in the premier league proper!!!"

Seems an incredibly difficult concept to grasp for some

I'm sure all the pros that missed out will be extremely touched at this completely genuine concern shown to them though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

jr86 wrote: »
    Might need to put an addendum to the thread title at this stage "Sherrock is not actually in the premier league proper!!!"

Seems an incredibly difficult concept to grasp for some

I'm sure all the pros that missed out will be extremely touched at this completely genuine concern shown to them though!!!

I know she isn't in it proper. Even 1 or 2 events are paydays that the tour players have grafted for are being taken away from someone because she's a girl.

And no need to be a smart arse either.

mcgragger wrote: »
    I know she isn't in it proper. Even 1 or 2 events are paydays that the tour players have grafted for are being taken away from someone because she's a girl.

And no need to be a smart arse either.

How do you mean they have "grafted" for them? Players aren't practising for hours a day to play for an hour on a random Thursday night in front of a boozed up crowd and modest tv audience. The PL means shag all to most actual darts fans (and players lets be honest). Its a piss up event aimed at casual fans, but a cash cow that brings more $$$ into the game.

She is just making a one off appearance - just like with players who are playing for one night in other venues, down to their home region/birthplace whatever. The "challengers" are not picked based on form or rankings. The only grafting guys can really do in this scenario is change their nationality or City. i'd be beyond amazed if any player lost sleep over someone chosen to play for one night. In fact her popularity is indirectly a huge positive for other pros. More ratings = more cash

Who would you have instead? As if someone like James Wade or Dave Chisnall would garner more bums on seats or ratings at this present time :D . But best of luck with that. Its a money making business, you'd have to be incredibly naive to think money and maximising profits isn't the bottom line in all industries, not just sport and darts.

the fact "she's a girl" is completely incidental but hey lets just ignore the fact a male like John henderson is picked for the same reasoning. If Barry Hearn's agenda was PC-driven why wasn't there girls in the Premier League until now? Why isn't Sherrock in the PL proper? Why is she the only female representative?

Rightly or wrongly darts would not have the money it does or the popularity it does if Barry Hearn's primary concern was for player's feelings and prioritising perceived fairness, over growing the game by the best commercial means possible. You can say what you want from a computer screen but he's the one that actually calls the shots, and I think you'd frankly have to be extremely naive to not see this is a very good business decision he has made

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

If fallon sherrock was not included in this year's events it would be gross malpractice. She made the papers worldwide ( New York times etc). She's the biggest name other than the top 4 at the moment. Next she probably won't be or maybe she will. She's a single mother hair dresser beating professional men, great story. She'll make good money this year with sponsors and on the exhibition circuit, good on her. You either put bums on seats or you don't.

peteeeed wrote: »
    If fallon sherrock was not included in this year's events it would be gross malpractice. She made the papers worldwide ( New York times etc). She's the biggest name other than the top 4 at the moment. Next she probably won't be or maybe she will. She's a single mother hair dresser beating professional men, great story. She'll make good money this year with sponsors and on the exhibition circuit, good on her. You either put bums on seats or you don't.

Exactly

Put it this way if we worked for an event management company and were asked to host a darts exhibition and given a budget that would allow us choose anyone outside the top 9 in the world. If the event fails our job is on the line

Lets be honest we're not exactly going to be thinking about who "deserves the money" or who is the best player in our opinion. We want bums on seats in any way possible and Sherrock would be the obvious choice based on her current popularity!

As you say yourself she might not be the choice at all next year

hate to nbreak it to you but Ally Pally sells out regardless, and was sold out before sherrock qualified.

world series sell out regardless as well., with or without her

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

hate to nbreak it to you but Ally Pally sells out regardless, and was sold out before sherrock qualified.

C'mon dude, you know that's not what people mean when they refer to bums on seats. The phrase has moved on since BT Barnum.

There's a whole lot more now - social media revenue, ad revenue for the broadcasters, merchandising sales on the night, being able to squeeze the name sponsors for extra.
    As jr86 alludes to, any promoter who can't see that Sherrock adds to that revenue, short term at least, is grossly incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I think the greatest trick they are missing here is not inviting 16 "challengers" and have them facing off over the 15 weeks (one match dedicated per week).

It adds two things, more faces for the casual darts fan and actual competitive practice.

You could then maybe award the "Challenger Champion" with a Grand Slam or WC place.

We all know that, she's playing around the world, new York, maddison square garden

C'mon dude, you know that's not what people mean when they refer to bums on seats. The phrase has moved on since BT Barnum.

There's a whole lot more now - social media revenue, ad revenue for the broadcasters, merchandising sales on the night, being able to squeeze the name sponsors for extra.
    As jr86 alludes to, any promoter who can't see that Sherrock adds to that revenue, short term at least, is grossly incompetent.

100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

One thing that I feel really hurts the PL is the fact that not only are the players the same every week but the format is the same also.

Changing the format week to week would make it more interesting and since it’s a glorified exhibition anyway they might as well push the boat out a bit. Off the top of my head they could use a quadro board, play 301 instead of 501, play double start, etc. Maybe it’d be gimmicky but I’d be a lot more likely to tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Had never heard of a Quadro board before. They should definitely do this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Degag wrote: »

Looks very odd but the board and Phil's appearance ha (looks like a dodgy 80s car dealer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

They go up for auction on eBay every now and then and go for a good price.

Degag wrote: »

I think it would be class for maybe a once a year major/invitational or something like that and they could play 901 or some other high number ending in 1.

would be some craic as not only would it showcase the dartistry, we could also see the "mathematicians" going about their business and have a laugh at the headscratching of some when they're close to a finish :D

Good to see Willie get a chance considering he's not even in top 32. I was hoping that Steve Beaton would get a place :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Good decision with dezwann an Jermaine aswell. If the real players beat a contender the points dont count still is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

US2 wrote: »
    Good decision with dezwann an Jermaine aswell. If the real players beat a contender the points dont count still is it?
    Last year the actual Premier League players were playing for points in those games but the contenders were not.
    Not sure what the story is this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

anyone going to this in dublin ?

went a few years ago and was serious craic

Advertisement