Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'm having audio problems with Disney plus and Netflix on the shield using getflix.

Occasionally I'll have to reboot it because the audio goes way of sync, but we have just got home from a few days away to find both of the above (Netflix and Disney) are having severe audio problems, ie no audio at all when a chosen movie or show is picked.

The previews are fine, but when you go to stream the show there's no audio at all.

On Netflix, I was able to go into audio settings and mess around with English/5.1 etc and have gotten sound back when playing a show but Disney plus isn't as simple to sort.

I have not touched any audio settings on the shield itself, so on the surface it looks like Disney and Netflix just developed problems on their own.

Anyone any ideas?

I don't have a Shield I'm using a fire TV cube. But regardless what I use Video going out of sync isn't that uncommon usually a network sites issue for me. Usually pausing for a good few secs fixies it for me. Regardless of device.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

beauf wrote: »
    I don't have a Shield I'm using a fire TV cube. But regardless what I use Video going out of sync isn't that uncommon usually a network sites issue for me. Usually pausing for a good few secs fixies it for me. Regardless of device.

Fixed it by going into audio settings on the Shield itself, changed from automatically, to manual settings.

Weird as I didn't change anything to begin with.

What setting did you switch from auto to manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

You can also check your overall Audio/ Video Sync, in Settings> Display & Sound> Advanced sound settings> Audio video sync.
    If the problem seems system wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I still have terrible problems with Disney + just buffering every few minutes using the shield and getflix whereas it’s fine on the Xbox one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I still have terrible problems with Disney + just buffering every few minutes using the shield and getflix whereas it’s fine on the Xbox one

There seems to be something about the Shield alright, I use Windscribe VPN which works perfect for unblocking UK services like BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub on other devices (Android phone, iPad, Mac, Windows) but on the Shield these services either outright don't work, or are so slow and buffer or low quality as to be unusable. Issue could be Windscribe but the fact that every other device I have is fine and problems only occur on the Shield makes me suspicious.

I found Disney very slow unless I used an Ethernet connection. Maybe does it buffering differently to other services.

What setting did you switch from auto to manual?

Settings>device preferences>display and sound> advanced sound settings>select formats.

I unticked automatic, and chose never use surround sound.

Oddly though, I'm after changing it back to automatic and its grand again. :confused:

I found Disney very slow unless I used an Ethernet connection. Maybe does it buffering differently to other services.

The iPlayer is almost unusable here using getflix tbh, sound out of sync and buffers to the point where you just say to yourself this isn't worth it, and turn it off. :mad:

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Working fine for me now

Wonder if it's a specific programme?

Mrs McMurphy is trying to catch up with casualty from a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whats the cheapest deals for the base model?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s unusual to get a deal on the shield, you might get a few quid off at Black Friday from the nvidia website
    Amazon Warehouse Deals is a better bet these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats the cheapest deals for the base model?

Few occasionally pop up on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Is it possible to watch sky go on the pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Umpalumpa wrote:
    Is it possible to watch sky go on the pro?

No. I tried to side load it but it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just got the below email re x cloud

PROJECT XCLOUD (PREVIEW) CLOSES ON 9/11
    Your game progress will be saved, and you can continue where you left off with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or by purchasing the game.

While this door may be closing, others will open in the future. You may hear from us as new opportunities to test cloud gaming experiences become available, so stay tuned

Take it to continue playing on nvidea need the ultimate pass

Get your first month for € 1,
    then € 12.99/month*

Is it worth €13 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

There was a trick to buy xbox gold membership (on cd keys or the like), stack it for 3 years and then you get the option of upgrading to gold for 1 euro. It converts all the xbox gold into game pass ultimate. Great value if you have a pc as well as an xbox. If it works on shield then it's even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Directly through the TV is only way,tried via shield no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Directly through the TV is only way,tried via shield no joy

Pretty sure my teenage daughter set up Disney+ on the Shield and uses our Express VPN subscription to watch without any problems including buffering problems but then the Shield is Ethernet connected to 200mb Virgin fibre so that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

I'm trying to set up my remote to control the volume on the TV. After I set it up in options it works perfectly until I confirm it's OK and exit out to home screen it then stops.happens every time

Anyone come accross this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

2 questions if anyone can help me that would be great!

I bought a shield pro and was looking at the games on it tonight, I'm not a gamer or anything like that, but how do I play them, I dont understand it. Is there any retro type games I can download that are free.

Twice the sound went on my shield the 1st time I had to do a factory reset, the 2nd time I powered on and off again, I wasn't able to fix it by any other means, has anyone had any experience with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I bought a shield pro and was looking at the games on it tonight, I'm not a gamer or anything like that, but how do I play them, I dont understand it. Is there any retro type games I can download that are free.

Twice the sound went on my shield the 1st time I had to do a factory reset, the 2nd time I powered on and off again, I wasn't able to fix it by any other means, has anyone had any experience with this

Other's will be able to help more! I bought a gamepad to play the shiled games, when you don't pay for a subcription you've to queue to get in (10 mins or so) and can't save progress as far as I know. I don't see why you wouln't be able to play standrad android games on it though from the playstore (Haven't tried)

I've never had any isssues with sound at all thankfully, so can't help there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

You have several options for games.

Android games that install and play natively on the Shield, you will get these in the play store, some free, plenty paid

Geforce now is the Nvidia game streaming service. This gives you access to PC games you own on Steam, uplay and epic games stores. There are even some marked free with shield that are free to play. There are free and paid versions of geforce now, paid had lots more features and no queues

For gamestream you need a gaming PC with a Nvidia graphics card and allows your stream and play a game on your network from a pc in another room

You can also install emulators to emulate older consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'd recommend getting retroX for playing older console games. You'll see a guide earlier on in the thread, it's pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭BandMember

If anyone here who has the BBC and ITV players working successfully on their Shield, could you PM me with an idiots guide of how to do so, please?

Thank you all for your help, I might go about getting retroX in when i get a chance.

I am getting no sound from netflix app at the moment, anyone any ideas

Thank you all for your help, I might go about getting retroX in when i get a chance.

I am getting no sound from netflix app at the moment, anyone any ideas

What are you using for sound? Do you have more than stereo speakers?

What are you using for sound? Do you have more than stereo speakers?

I’ve Logitech 5.1 speaker setup

I’ve Logitech 5.1 speaker setup

Ah. How is it connected? Optical? Does it support Dolby Digital plus which is what Netflix uses? My guessing it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭fawlty towers

Would really appreciate some help. Purchased a shield but am having problems setting up getflix

Can anyone walk me through please

Advertisement