Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

chewed wrote: »
    Anyone here with a Gigabit Fibre connection and Shield? What speeds do you get with ethernet? I have a gigabit connection but barely get above 250mbps using Speedtest app on the Shield.

What do you need more than 250 Mbit for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭corks finest

Anyone here with a Gigabit Fibre connection and Shield? What speeds do you get with ethernet? I have a gigabit connection but barely get above 250mbps using Speedtest app on the Shield.

Same mostly,at times ,500 +, mostly below 200, today 112

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Is that normal? I would have expected much higher speeds with a gigabit connection.

Is that normal? I would have expected much higher speeds with a gigabit connection.

Up n down TBH ( vodaphone)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What do you need more than 250 Mbit for?

Ehm... for a connection split between multiple devices, it isn't really that trivial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Ehm... for a connection split between multiple devices, it isn't really that trivial.

To the router yes, but why would you need more than 250mbit to the Shield?

To the router yes, but why would you need more than 250mbit to the Shield?

IPTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

IPTV

4K is only ~ 25Mb/s

PS - is this decently priced? https://www.adverts.ie/21110420

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭banie01

IPTV

For IPTV a stable 30mb connection is just as good as a 1GB one.
    For high bandwidth and multiple device usage fibre is unbeatable.
    A lot of folk tend to be looking solely at their headline speed tho, rather than what their actual usage may be.

Not knocking Fibre or your choice of it.
    But, if you have a stable 30meg connection on your device and experience issues with your IPTV, it's very, very likely to be a server side issue.

Now in a multi-user, multi device environment clearly a 30mb connection to the router isn't enough, but to the device it's more than adequate for IPTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

IPTV

I run IPTV on a Vodafone 100mb line, usually have 60-80mb, never have any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Virgin 500Mb connection here with a gigabit connection via Hub (in Modem Mode) > Google WiFi Mesh > TP-Link Gigabit Switch > Shield 1st Gen / 2017

Using the Netflix FAST app, my connection averages 500Mb all the time but always a bit higher on Shield. Does your router have QoS or bandwidth allocation enabled?

MFd8gcs.png

unhappys10 wrote: »
    I run IPTV on a Vodafone 100mb line, usually have 60-80mb, never have any problems.

Same generally,but we could have Disney+, Netflix , and he's IPTV on his phone also, and another phone for bloody music at times

advertsfox wrote: »
    Virgin 500Mb connection here with a gigabit connection via Hub (in Modem Mode) > Google WiFi Mesh > TP-Link Gigabit Switch > Shield 1st Gen / 2017

Using the Netflix FAST app, my connection averages 500Mb all the time but always a bit higher on Shield. Does your router have QoS or bandwidth allocation enabled?

MFd8gcs.png

Netflix fast app? Ref bandwidth bloody VF turning on / off I reckon,
    Ref fast. Com speed test, it's false compared to any other one I use on the shield, always way above the other 2 I check my speeds on

Ref fast. Com speed test, it's false compared to any other one I use on the shield, always way above the other 2 I check my speeds on
    It's the speed test app to Netflix servers, I find it the most accurate esp. since they utilize 20% of the world's bandwidth at any one time so if your slow to Netflix, you are slow to everything. Take 10% off the top in case of ISP prioritization but it matches my Google Mesh speed tests also.

https://m.apkpure.com/fast-speed-test/com.netflix.Speedtest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Anyone have problems downloading the bbc iplayer app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

that fast.com is definitly givin out way faster speed results than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Can I ask the IPTV Smarters users here a question...

In the EPG section - so I click on a channel and open it in the 'little box' on the top left.

If I then scroll on down the EPG is there anyway to open the channel I have already opened in the 'little box' into full-screen without scrolling all the way back to the channel listing on the EPG?

And if this isn't possible on IPTV Smarters, is it possible on TiviMate?

54and56 wrote:
    I think what you're trying to do is either a setting you need to turn on or you simply double click to go straight to full screen.

In the EPG section - so I click on a channel and open it in the 'little box' on the top left.

If I then scroll on down the EPG is there anyway to open the channel I have already opened in the 'little box' into full-screen without scrolling all the way back to the channel listing on the EPG?

54and56 wrote:
    I think what you're trying to do is either a setting you need to turn on or you simply double click to go straight to full screen.

Double-clicking doesn't work. And I don't see anything in the settings. Cheers for your reply though.

It's the speed test app to Netflix servers, I find it the most accurate esp. since they utilize 20% of the world's bandwidth at any one time so if your slow to Netflix, you are slow to everything. Take 10% off the top in case of ISP prioritization but it matches my Google Mesh speed tests also.

It's always minimum 20 percent faster result than the others,then again maybe they're wrong and my speeds are excellent, regularly get 330 via WiFi on my phone so maybe fast is more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Hi

Can anyone recommend me a good storage drive for the shield pro

How much are you looking for? I have the 128gb drive version of this and it works flawlessly... you can pick 256gb up for an extra tenner.

https://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/6274792/samsung-fit-plus-usb-3-0-2019.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

On the IPTV discussion. Is TIVI mates recording feature reliable?

I'd love to record Super Rugby (sport that happens at 8am on a Saturday). It'd be a game-changer for IPTV if it could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

errlloyd wrote: »
    On the IPTV discussion. Is TIVI mates recording feature reliable?

I'd love to record Super Rugby (sport that happens at 8am on a Saturday). It'd be a game-changer for IPTV if it could do it.
    No, it's not great to be honest..

.. may depend on quality of stream but found it patchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Have yous not got catchup?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Couldn't be that accurate if it's showing you 770 on a 500mb line

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Of course no, but it was an old picture with it being the only device connected in a new house (no neighbours yet). I mostly get in the 400-500MB range now when nothing else is in use.

batistuta9 wrote: »

Think it's a gigabyte he's on

Think it's a gigabyte he's on
    No mate its 500MB but not unusual for it to exceed that the odd time (at the time, it was a brand new line in estate, just the 1 device - Shield via Ethernet gigabit). Just done another test (with 25 devices connected) on my server and this is the results. It's all dependant on my house active usage. And even now, I'm only getting 350Mb to FAST and Speedtest shows this (on my home server, also a 1Gbps LAN connection).

9831525756.png

No mate its 500MB but not unusual for it to exceed that the odd time (at the time, it was a brand new line in estate, just the 1 device - Shield via Ethernet gigabit). Just done another test (with 25 devices connected) on my server and this is the results. It's all dependant on my house active usage. And even now, I'm only getting 350Mb to FAST and Speedtest shows this (on my home server, also a 1Gbps LAN connection).

9831525756.png

Ah sorry my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Barney224

QUick Plex question. I have my Plex on the Shield set up to stream from somone else's server, as he has a much bettter selction of movies/tv shows. I set this up by sending him my PIN.

Is there any way I can also add my own server (pc upstairs) so I can choose between the 2? Or am i locked in to just his stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm having audio problems with Disney plus and Netflix on the shield using getflix.

Occasionally I'll have to reboot it because the audio goes way of sync, but we have just got home from a few days away to find both of the above (Netflix and Disney) are having severe audio problems, ie no audio at all when a chosen movie or show is picked.

The previews are fine, but when you go to stream the show there's no audio at all.

On Netflix, I was able to go into audio settings and mess around with English/5.1 etc and have gotten sound back when playing a show but Disney plus isn't as simple to sort.

I have not touched any audio settings on the shield itself, so on the surface it looks like Disney and Netflix just developed problems on their own.

Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement

9831525756.png

My kids one plus 7 pro last night' 359 download
    My mi note 10- 240
    download
    Nvidia shield 165( ookla)
    So feckin hell it's all different

Advertisement