Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is beginning to grate

Options
  • 26-11-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Ever since the IMF has waltzed in, it has become very fashionable to talk and joke about "The Germanz".

Now ...for a German (:D) ...I do have a pretty well developed sense of humour, but these constant nazi references in every second sentence ...die gehn' mir so langsam richtig auf den Sack :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

peasant wrote: »
    Ever since the IMF has waltzed in, it has become very fashionable to talk and joke about "The Germanz".

Now ...for a German (:D) ...I do have a pretty well developed sense of humour, but these constant nazi references in every second sentence ...die gehn' mir so langsam richtig auf den Sack :mad:

At last, somebody has protested!

this has p''ssed me off for years, not just now with the IMF etc.
    despite the increased political correctness in recent years, it seems perfectly legitimate to put on a German accent 'vee ahhr ....' and spout some stereotypical sh1te without any condemnation.

However if one were to do the same with an African,Asian,Irish Traveller, Working Class Dublin accent, you'd be absolutely slated.

Gerry Ryan 2FM was one of the worst offenders, but he's has lots of colleagues on radio who continue to consider Germans a legitimate target for 'slagging'.

that's my rant over for today!:)

Now ...for a German (:D) ...I do have a pretty well developed sense of humour,

well actually, now that i'm on a roll;),
    this is another prejudice that gets on my nerves; 'Germans have no sense of humour'.

It's just different guys, and it's obviously a subjective thing, but some is good & some 'less' good, (to be diplomatic).

Exactly like Irish & Anglo humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

But the Irish do the Nazi-thingy forever! At least since I live in this country. They must have picked it up from their neighbours who are obsessed with all things Nazi... :P

My humour ends with the Nazi references as well. Do these people even know what it means? I doubt it. They are like grumpy teenagers who are forced by their parents to tidy up after an excessive party which destroyed half of the house. And of course, as teenagers go, it's the parents' fault, they are Nazis!

How would the Irish react If we called them stupid Paddys, i wonder? I'm too polite to try... and besides too intelligent to generalize.

And for the references to "ze Germanz" as such - well, the Germans were nice people when delivering, be it the guns for the highly laudet rebels from times seen in a rosy light, be it money for said party...

If I hear one more time the Nazi-reference, I might try out the Paddy-thing... or worse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I'm glad that someone has highlighted this.

German people in general are unfailingly polite and pleasant.
    Why commentators in this country attempt to copy the less informed views expressed by some British commentators is beyond me.

Germany has been a good friend to this country and our citizens over the years and we Irish need to remember this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yeah well ..it has been annoying forever really. But it used to be just really bad jokes ...Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman and Hans the Naziman. Bad taste and not funny ...but ultimately something you can live with.

However, over the last few weeks it has become endemic.
    Ireland as an economy has ****ed up ...big time. Painting Germany in dark brown colours won't change that ...but somehow it seems to "help" people to get over it.

I don't get it and it pisses me off. On a personal level it alienates me from the people and country I have chosen for my home ..and that just makes me sad.

• Advertisement

Don't let them win, that's my life's mantra. :D

It's sad alright that you feel alienated by some morons who never learned to think and just babble along with the tabloids and the brain-dead radio presenters. It's just easier than blame themselves in the current economical climate, that is the fúck-up of the country by their own doing.

If they throw a tantrum against those they actually are jealous of, let them. They know very well that "ze Germanz wiz de lederhosen" have more competence and guts, and that's why they rant & rave with the only arguments they know and inherited from their former colonial masters.

I'm really getting angry now, I know. :o

But hey, my dear Irishmen, if you call us Nazis, which is an insult, we'll call you anything which hurts you!

But there are others - perfectly intellectually capable Irish people who know the score and know how to differentiate, who look beyond their ever so lazy and convenient catholic woolly hat, which is: Jesus died for our sins, now let's slaughter ze Germanz so that we are free of sin again.
    They do exist, really.

The above mentioned morons just are incapable of looking in their own backyard. I wonder though why the big American cousin isn't the butt of their hatred. The ones who closed factories down, the ones who just looked for profits without any obligations and generally don't give a ****e about Ireland - which has no oil or other resources. They wouldn't take abuse like that anyway.

Maybe we should just start to act as they describe us, namely as the murky Germans who just want to take over the emerald isle, har, har :D (though what would we do with it? :confused:)...

... instead of being longsuffering like Mr Bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

while i agree that with the majority of what ye are saying, i.e. the never ending negativity towards the germans and german culture in its entirety, i have to say that Germany's actions atm with regards to letting irish banks fail has dissapointed me.
    german banks that made bad investments should have been let suffer imo. this takes nothing away from the stupidity of a government that the irish people have elected as its leaders.
    , who look beyond their ever so lazy and convenient catholic woolly hat, which is: Jesus died for our sins, now let's slaughter ze Germanz so that we are free of sin again.
    what catholic has to do with this, i have no idea. that seems a lazy generalisation to make

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

alois wrote: »
    i have to say that Germany's actions atm with regards to letting irish banks fail has dissapointed me.

It's actually worse than that. The Irish banks should have been let fail right in Sept 2008. But I'm pretty sure that the EU (and Germany) applied pressure behind the scenes to make Lenny implement the "cheapest bank bailout in history" and saddle us, the people, with a mountain of debt.
    And now that it turns out that the banking hole is deeper than everybody thought, the EU (and the Germans) don't want to pay for it anymore and are giving us this "loan" which will bury us economically once and for all.

Not nice, not nice at all ...still doesn't make them Nazis though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Just from an outside perspective from a Canadian who's lived in both Ireland and Germany (in Flensburg right now)..

I think you guys may be being a bit hypersensitive. I've noticed that if, somehow, a conversation is brought round to nazis, the germans I know get very defensive and completely overcompensate, regardless of the tone of conversation.

If anyone makes a crack about nazis they just go totally overboard to prove to us they're not nazis at all, go on and on about how much they hate the neonazis, etc. Which is wholly understandable, as no one would want to be tied to that past, but I think is a bit unnecessary now; most people, when talking about it, are joking. The defensiveness is a bit misplaced.

I've never heard a nazi joke made in seriousness, or a stereotype about the germans made in seriousness, at least before this IMF business. I've shown my housemate some of the threads that come up on boards that comment on the germans or Germany, and more often than not he just facepalms and moves on. And that's all you really can do.

Don't for a second think that because they're generalizing and making stupid comments that they genuinely mean it. They speak in generalizations to get across a point, but more often than not they don't truly believe it, at least not on an individual basis. I'm sure on a personal basis the vast majority are perfectly fine with germans.

Then again I could be way off and I'm just not seeing/hearing what you guys are seeing/hearing, since I'm not German, but as another foreigner in Ireland who got slagged for my nationality all the time, yeah, it got annoying, and infuriating, and tiresome, but it was never meant maliciously.

Try not to take it to heart! It'll pass.

Liah, I think you've given a very fair assessment of this thread so far.
    Some of the posters are being a little sensitive, IMO.

The stupid comments stereotyping Germans (& the inexcusable Nazi ones)
    come from a minority of the population who's travel experience is limited to Spain & Florida (huge generalisation!!)

Otherwise there is quite a fondness for Germans & German 'stuff'.

@ Carry, I think you may be exaggerating our sensitivity to the Paddy thing. it's only offensive when spoken with a very posh English accent :)

• Advertisement

jb-ski wrote: »
    @ Carry, I think you may be exaggerating our sensitivity to the Paddy thing. it's only offensive when spoken with a very posh English accent :)

I'm working on it... :D
    To no avail so far, hardly manage the Irish accent :pac:

But I'll get ya - someday, somehow... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭DesertFox

Yeah well ..it has been annoying forever really. But it used to be just really bad jokes ...Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman and Hans the Naziman.

lol fantastic :D
    It's actually worse than that. The Irish banks should have been let fail right in Sept 2008. But I'm pretty sure that the EU (and Germany) applied pressure behind the scenes to make Lenny implement the "cheapest bank bailout in history" and saddle us, the people, with a mountain of debt.
    And now that it turns out that the banking hole is deeper than everybody thought, the EU (and the Germans) don't want to pay for it anymore and are giving us this "loan" which will bury us economically once and for all.

Not nice, not nice at all ...still doesn't make them Nazis though

That's totally untrue, Angela Merkel was very unhappy when Ireland pulled this stunt, it was more anger from behind the scenes than pressure.
    Obviously they thought they would end up paying for it, which of course they have :)

On a side note what has b-static.net got to do with multi quoting, highly annoying, and on that note has boards.ie forgot to pay their bandwidth bill as these are quite easily the slowest forums I've ever posted on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

As an Irish person the German stereotype has always annoyed me, well at least the war references. To me that sounds like a British thing that has been imported here through tabloids and Fawlty Towers etc. I don't think Germans-as-Nazis is a really "natural" reference for Irish people to make.

But I also think Irish Nazi references are fairly light hearted in that Irish people don't have direct WWII bagage and just use it as a stereotype, like fat Americans or something. I always get the impression from the British media that they do sort of take it seriously and there is an undercurrent of bitterness about Germans.

I also think the German attitude to the Nazis have changed. I think the younger people will joke about it a bit but I think for people who grew up just post war, it's taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

to be honest, the Nazi references as such don't bother me - I'd quite happily join in, and tell them that everybody will be wearing Lederhosen and singing German Volksmusik in no time - we're slowly infiltrating the country this time instead of the sledgehammer approach...:D

what annoys me more is that is seems to be the ONLY thing people connect with Germany, which is sad. Going slightly off topic here, but there was a brilliant documentary on BBC the other day about German art in the middle ages, for example. Germany has a long history of culture, literature, music and art - more than ther Irish could ever claim - and I wish people would recognise that, too...instead of taking cheap shots...

Although I find that the British are actually worse (the constant documentaries on WW2 - get over it, we're not banging on about how you treated your colonies for centuries...).

In one word: Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I also think the German attitude to the Nazis have changed. I think the younger people will joke about it a bit but I think for people who grew up just post war, it's taboo.
    My 27 yo GF would never make jokes about the Hitlerzeit, nor really laugh at jokes about it. She's from the east though, so perhaps the 7 years before the wall fell have left her with a more "Anti-faschist" viewpoint. I know some Germans who would be able to laugh about it though, but when I think about it they are all from the Alte Bundesländer...interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

but it does annoy me when I see "ze Germans" written in boards. Where I live, in an alten Bundesland, younger people do joke about it sometimes, but not always. The DDR was protected from the BRD by the antifascist protection wall for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

but it does annoy me when I see "ze Germans" written in boards. Where I live, in an alten Bundesland, younger people do joke about it sometimes, but not always. The DDR was protected from the BRD by the antifascist protection wall for a time.

The wall was not for protection against the West - it was a prison wall to keep the East German Population in.

East Germany as well never accepted responsability for what happened before and had some fascism problems as well http://einestages.spiegel.de/static/topicalbumbackground/494/faschismus_made_in_ddr.html

And old Nazis were as well only punished in the East from the 60s on if it was opportunistic
    http://www.welt.de/kultur/history/article11211585/Warum-die-DDR-Staatssicherheit-NS-Moerder-schuetzte.html

Sorry for getting a bit offtopic ;-)

galah wrote: »
    to be honest, the Nazi references as such don't bother me - I'd quite happily join in, and tell them that everybody will be wearing Lederhosen and singing German Volksmusik in no time - we're slowly infiltrating the country this time instead of the sledgehammer approach...:D

I do the same.
    In training (Krav Maga) we had to do some ind of role play - one is harrressingthe other and then the other one has to react. My sparring partner asked me to ask him in German for his identification papers :D

Same guy asked me once late at night online if I am sending special reports back to the Reich.
    That both situation I found somehow funny but are the exception - normally the rereferneces/jokes are really bad.

With the IMF/EU (or the Germans ;-) ) now taking over Ireland you have even better opportunitys. You can tell the guys that a German politician asked that Greece should sell some of its islands. This could be proposedagain - let Irelandsell the Aran islands - or lets buy the whole country :D

what annoys me more is that is seems to be the ONLY thing people connect with Germany, which is sad. Going slightly off topic here, but there was a brilliant documentary on BBC the other day about German art in the middle ages, for example. Germany has a long history of culture, literature, music and art - more than ther Irish could ever claim - and I wish people would recognise that, too...instead of taking cheap shots...

yes really a pitty but thats life

Although I find that the British are actually worse (the constant documentaries on WW2 - get over it, we're not banging on about how you treated your colonies for centuries...).

In one word: Meh.

I have a complete different impression after living as well in the UK.
    Not a single Nazi joke/ reference was made ever :)
    It is true that the bookshops are full with WWII literature andtvfull with documentaries but I don't have any problem with that as I like history. With the British it is a bit in their psyche. Perhaps they believe they sacrified their Empire to stop Hitler and therefor this kind of "obsession"

Here in Ireland in addition to the references mentioned above:
    Once a group of 3-4 pricks were looking for trouble at a bus stop - as soon as they figured out am German they saluted in the Nazi way and behaved as I was their best friend. I felt so sick ....
    Similiar happened with a guy as well - he wanted to bully /causing some trouble - as soon he figured am German again the greeting and told me how great Hitler was etc.

At work a Belgium colleague made a "joke" with reference to "Arbeit macht Frei" - feltreally mad about that as it was completly over the top and scolded her - thougt eveabout an HR complain.

One of my Krav Maga trainers made once as well a joke.some references I found distasteful....

Carry wrote: »
    But the Irish do the Nazi-thingy forever! At least since I live in this country. They must have picked it up from their neighbours who are obsessed with all things Nazi... :P

My humour ends with the Nazi references as well. Do these people even know what it means? I doubt it. They are like grumpy teenagers who are forced by their parents to tidy up after an excessive party which destroyed half of the house. And of course, as teenagers go, it's the parents' fault, they are Nazis!

How would the Irish react If we called them stupid Paddys, i wonder? I'm too polite to try... and besides too intelligent to generalize.

And for the references to "ze Germanz" as such - well, the Germans were nice people when delivering, be it the guns for the highly laudet rebels from times seen in a rosy light, be it money for said party...

If I hear one more time the Nazi-reference, I might try out the Paddy-thing... or worse :mad:

Not to forget that as far as I know Ireland was the only neutral country which send condolences after Hitler's Death.
    Moreover the IRA got some limited support as well....

I don't believe that with Paddys you have success in insulting - tip I've got from an Irish - is to say something with reference to inbreeding and Ireland

Never tried it out but might work ;-)

Carry wrote: »
    The above mentioned morons just are incapable of looking in their own backyard. I wonder though why the big American cousin isn't the butt of their hatred. The ones who closed factories down, the ones who just looked for profits without any obligations and generally don't give a ****e about Ireland - which has no oil or other resources. They wouldn't take abuse like that anyway.

I wonder why it is ok to rant about Americans and not about Germans...

Furthermore Americans are not the only ones who are closing down here in Ireland companies - everyone does it and nothing bad with winding down business as there is always a reason for doing this. And companies are looking for profits - thats the way a company operates - they are not the social welfare office.

Moreover Ireland has some oil/gas - pass on a weekend the GPO and you will find sometimes guys demonstrating against Shell who are exploring and extracting this ;-)
    And considering the US involvement in the Good Friday agreement I would say the US is caring to some extent about Ireland ;-)

• Advertisement

Merowig wrote: »
    The wall was not for protection against the West - it was a prison wall to keep the East German Population in

I know that, I was taking the piss ;) That was the name give by the DDR government.

I know that, I was taking the piss ;) That was the name give by the DDR government.

Given the topic being discussed here, it would probably be a good idea to state CLEARLY if one is making a joke.

;)

Sorry for assuming that everyone knew that the DDR was a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

funnily enough, just after giving out about the British and their unimaginative tele programming, we ended up watching a rather good one about Germany and her culture last night - Al Murray I think yer man's name was. And he didnt mention the war once! ;-)

I was actually impressed!

Actually, there's a difference also between Germans living abroad, and Germans at home - I think a lot of Germans at home (in Germany, that is) are somehow trapped in a society-imposed humour vacuum, where you are not allowed to joke or laugh about the history (within reason, oviously). Germans abroad are much more relaxed, I find, and some of them even have adapted an Irish sense of humour - making it much easier. (in general though I find that a lot of Germans in Germany are no longer compatible with my sense of humour after roughly 10 years abroad...I got used to all the slagging and sledging and sarcasm, they haven't...;-))

Sorry for assuming that everyone knew that the DDR was a bit mad.

Jaysus,
    Given the topic being discussed here, it would probably be a good idea to state CLEARLY if one is making a JOKE. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

they generally come from ill educated people heavily influenced by british tabloids. having said that all I ever heard from Germans was whiskey , guinness and IRA (außer meinem Freundeskreis) when I lived over there. jeden Tag. es ging auch a bissl auf den Sack.

stupid people are everywhere.

Gerry Ryan 2FM was one of the worst offenders, but he's has lots of colleagues on radio who continue to consider Germans a legitimate target for 'slagging'.

that's my rant over for today!:)[/QUOTE]

gerry ryan war die Stimme der Proleten. genug gesagt,

[

If I hear one more time the Nazi-reference, I might try out the Paddy-thing... or worse :mad:[/QUOTE]

I was always asked about the IRA. the Germans seemed obsessed by it.

Merowig wrote: »
    Not to forget that as far as I know Ireland was the only neutral country which send condolences after Hitler's Death.
    Moreover the IRA got some limited support as well....

I;-)

na und, wir haben Adi gern gehabt. our enemies enemy....

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    Germans abroad are much more relaxed, I find, and some of them even have adapted an Irish sense of humour - making it much easier. (in general though I find that a lot of Germans in Germany are no longer compatible with my sense of humour after roughly 10 years abroad...I got used to all the slagging and sledging and sarcasm, they haven't...;-))

IMO, this is getting close to explaining the differences in our sense of humour. it's really hard to pin down though.
    German teenagers seem to take the piss out of each other, & often a lot more creatively than Irish/British mono-syllabic teens.
    Fuinseog wrote: »

I was always asked about the IRA. the Germans seemed obsessed by it.

This is interesting. My experience would be different, in over 21 years of visiting/living in Germany, this would rarely have been mentioned to me.
    Possibly on occasion in the early 90's, but certainly not in the last 10 years.

The Germans were more interested in our fantastic economy etc..........
    which brings us right back to original post:)

Advertisement