Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

• 16-01-2013 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Rougies wrote: »
    He worded it like a true pro though, with words like, IF, MIGHT, POTENTIAL, POSSIBLE etc. before any mention of snow. We all know it's a bit of a ramp though :)

Better then Met E they just say "Rain"

Personal Abuse. It will not be tolerated here. It does not matter if it is directed at a boards member or not. All personal abuse will receive either an infraction or ban, it is at the mods discretion. Also see Boards.ie rules of etiquette

Don't abuse people personally It’s not big and it’s not clever. If you can’t convey your point without abusing someone personally then you don’t have a point to make and perhaps you should close your browser and come back when you are calmer. Not only will you have had the benefit of cooling off if something’s caused your blood to boil, you’re a lot more likely to make a far more incisive, killer point. The great joy of this platform is that you don’t have to answer something immediately; you have time to construct your point and de-construct any arguments against your point.You either are an adult or you are aspiring to become one. This isn’t a crèche and if we have had to invoke this rule to stop you from abusing someone, and you feel like we are treating you like a child, you might want to consider why that is.This site is for a wide variety of civil, adult discussion. Personally abusing someone is immature. Grow up.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Better then Met E they just say "Rain"

Well I hope M.T.'s forecast is right.

But remember, a forecast isn't better just because it's the forecast you want to hear. :)

There is still a lot of things that can change before Sunday that could easily make it an all rain event on low levels.

I'd seriously advice people not to raise their expectations at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hope the nerves ain't getting to Gerry !

nervous.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Hope the nerves ain't getting to Gerry !

A Nation holds its breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

All eyes to RTE1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Umm Gerry Wet you say? Umm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just WOW. He hasn't mentioned the Snow word not even Sleet.

This is really shocking.

Is he doing it on purpose? Because any objective forecast would mention snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭Deank

Lots of mention of misht from Gerry, no mention of snow or schleet for the weekends forecast; he must have magic forecasting models.;)

Villain wrote: »
    Umm Gerry Wet you say? Umm

And yet the met website says this ???
    Cold with heavy rain spreading to all areas overnight Thursday with falls of 10 to 20mm in places overnight. Towards dawn on Friday, the rain will clear from much of Munster.
    Friday: A cloudy wet start in many parts of the midlands and north but the rain will become confined to Ulster during the morning however it will stay cloudy and wet here for much of the day, some sleet or wet snow likely at times, mostly on higher ground. Elsewhere Friday will be a bright, mostly dry day with sunny spells but some showers near the south and west coasts. Cold and frosty on Friday night with fog also and icy stretches.
    Saturday: Saturday will be mainly dry and bright with frost clearing, though it will stay cold with afternoon temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees. Very cold and frosty on Saturday night with fog also, risk of icy stretches.

Sunday: A cold and frosty start for many on Sunday morning, but clearing through the morning. Increasing wind and cloud will bring heavy rain into Munster by early afternoon and to most places by early Sunday night. Some very heavy falls in places ( 25mm possible) and some falls of sleet and snow are likely also, especially on higher ground.

Extended outlook is for the cold and unsettled weather to persist. Rain on Monday with some wintry precipitation likely, especially on higher ground, but drier periods at times on Tuesday and Wednesday but showers as well, some wintry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I must say i am shocked by the forecast, he seemed to almost go out of his way to fail to mention sleet or snow.

I will hold back from a full scathing review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I hope this is not going to be another Gerry Murphy bashing for not being a snow ramper, so far he hasn't been wrong.
    Met Eireann could have ramped for snow on Friday given the UK met warning which covered a part of Ireland, but they didn't and were correct.

• Advertisement

I must say i am shocked by the forecast, he seemed to almost go out of his way to fail to mention sleet or snow.

Im with you, it was shocking, especially when their website mentions it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Meanwhile outside ME hq...
    angry-mob.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Standard winter fare there from Gerry Murphy on the 9.30 weather forecast.

Temps tomorrow between +8oC on the east cost to +10oc down South. RAIN will then spread eastwards over the country tomorrow night.

Friday will bring more RAIN in the east and north with temps of around +5oC and +6oC (this is the rain that will be snow over Britain and paste most of that island). The word "sleet" was not mentioned, never mind "snow".

Still Gerry can only go on what is to hand. However I thought the 12z ECM was an upgrade for snow?

D

One criticism Gerry, from your forecast it could be October and you would never have guessed that both the UK and Europe were currently in the fridge. Just no overview given of the wider European picture ..................to be fair to Evelyn, she always does. But she is the snow rampers' pin up girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I wouldn't have minded if he just didn't deal with the weekend and next week but he in fact did and resolutely chose to inform the viewers that it would be all "rain" and "wet".

Even the most conservative of forecasters would have pointed to the risk of wintry precip for people who live on high ground. Unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Imagine if it all turns out the way Gerry has said it in that forecast....... oh jesus

Btw some Uk forecasters on twitter are getting itchy feet about this trend of westward of the front this evening! "Eggscellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Curious at this stage now at ME's forecast. Whatever about lower levels, surely a hint of a possibility of some sleet/snow at higher elevations was worthy of mention?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Imagine if it all turns out the way Gerry has said it in that forecast....... oh jesus

Btw some Uk forecasters on twitter are getting itchy feet about this trend of westward of the front this evening! "Eggscellent!

If Gerry is correct, I will just laugh, if not I will be like Gerry, not laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

rc28 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have minded if he just didn't deal with the weekend and next week but he in fact did and resolutely chose to inform the viewers that it would be all "rain" and "wet".

Even the most conservative of forecasters would have pointed to the risk of wintry precip for people who live on high ground. Unbelievable stuff.

I mentioned early be it on them if people are misinformed and get caught short, at least implying a RISK can put the idea in people head to be on the look out for something more serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Min wrote: »
    If Gerry is correct, I will just laugh, if not I will be like Gerry, not laughing.

All will be revealed on the mornings ooz runs:) and if Gerry is right it will be very quiet in here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's only Wednesday lads. If there is still a risk of snow somewhere on Friday then they will mention it tomorrow. Relax, jaysus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

I hope this is not going to be another Gerry Murphy bashing for not being a snow ramper, so far he hasn't been wrong.
    Met Eireann could have ramped for snow on Friday given the UK met warning which covered a part of Ireland, but they didn't and were correct.
    Hi Gerry
    I didn't mean it
    The truth just hurts that Atlantic has won.
    Please mt make him wrong

If it does snow he should be sent for public flogging :)
    Unbelievable

That sounds a bit like sending those scientists to jail for not predicting the Earthquake that hit L'Aquila in Italy.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/23/world/europe/italy-quake-scientists-guilty/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Further correction westwards is right
    We are now under an Easterly by Saturday lunchtime.
    Didn't Gerry have us under a Westerly ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That sounds a bit like sending those scientists to jail for not predicting the Earthquake that hit L'Aquila in Italy.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/23/world/europe/italy-quake-scientists-guilty/index.html

Ah, it's only a bit of fun.

I agreee that it's too early for ME to call it.

Shouldn't you be in the other thread (the mild one!)? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Oh fear of fears, I fear Gerry is right. ME are pretty good at not ramping (unlike us, they tend not to salivate at the thought of a snowflake) and in fairness, they've called it pretty right so far, so there's nothing to suggest they will be wrong this time either. Forgive me, I am but a mere snow chaser, I can only stare blankly at your colour coded diagrams and charts and wish I could glean knowledge from them.. I'll get my coat....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Gerry "La Fiesta" Murphy, The auld lad always shouts out when he comes on "its gonna bleedin rain or be cloudy, not a chance will it snow when he's on" Hope he aint right!

35atysh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

Anyone catch the 9 news/weather wat was said :)

I can tell you what was NOT said. The word "snow". Also "sleet", not said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭Deank

Anyone catch the 9 news/weather wat was said :)

Gerry said rain and misht, not mention of snow or even schleet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Must be somewhat of a record amount viewing here?!

Users_zps7d963e3d.jpg
    they all didn't trust Gerry's forecast so must of came here to check :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

You're completely correct.

I think everyone here is bashing Gerry just because he hasn't forecast what people wanted to hear.

Again, he's the professional here and Met E don't usually get it wrong this close to an event.

Yes, they got things wrong last week when they tried to do a mid-range forecast based solely on the ECM outputs (which was unwise) but they rarely get it wrong 48 hours before an event.

I'd love to be wrong but my heart tells me I'm not.

Advertisement