Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland League 2019-2020 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Again the IRFU punish a team at the bottom of a division after Shannon last season. So inconsistent, we will never see a top club punished, seems to be one rule for some and another for the rest. Can see their frustration.

In fairness, it's a ridiculous position for the club to put the player in. A player being posted on social media receiving the keys to a sponsored car from a dealership is always going to be flagged as a player receiving benefits. The claim that it's for club use is an afterthought, and really should have been handled better by the club, rather than doing it in the style of the provincial players posing with dealerships after receiving their new sponsored cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thoughts on this weekends games
    Win for barnhall in 2a equals league record for most games unbeaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭luke9311

Thoughts on this weekends games
    Win for barnhall in 2a equals league record for most games unbeaten.

Very tight in 1a between 3,4,5th places in race for play off. Was in Terenure myself today for the Lansdowne game. Kinda a tail of two half’s in a way really. Lansdowne were more the merrier in 1st half could have scored more probably but last minute mistakes in 22 killed them. Nure kinda dominated 2nd half with a try to go 16-10 and then Lansdowne hit back last minute try to win 17-16. With regards to barnhall before today’s lose I assume with the wins they had on the straight they had beaten the win record Terenure set a few seasons ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jackdidley

luke9311 wrote: »
    Very tight in 1a between 3,4,5th places in race for play off. Was in Terenure myself today for the Lansdowne game. Kinda a tail of two half’s in a way really. Lansdowne were more the merrier in 1st half could have scored more probably but last minute mistakes in 22 killed them. Nure kinda dominated 2nd half with a try to go 16-10 and then Lansdowne hit back last minute try to win 17-16. With regards to barnhall before today’s lose I assume with the wins they had on the straight they had beaten the win record Terenure set a few seasons ago?

Similar standings at the top end in 1B. I was at Mary’s v Shannon, a very entertaining game with some great rugby played by both sides. Mary’s led 19-7 with 30mins to go and looked in control. Shannon made a couple of key changes (8 & 10) which flipped the game on its head, they scored 3 tries in the last 25mins for a BP win 28-25.

Team named for the Club XV game, 18/23 players are uncapped for the club XV, and a much younger side than previous years

CLUB-TEAM-vSCO-1200x628-AWAY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Has JP Phelan started an AIL game for Clontarf this season?

Stainalert wrote: »
    Has JP Phelan started an AIL game for Clontarf this season?

Started against UCC, but yeah he's mostly been on the bench behind RBF/Aungier, even Bolger the u20 got a start ahead of him early on in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Who or how is that team selected?

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Selected by the head coach, but players don't have to accept the call up (which supposedly a number of senior players didn't).

Very Munster dominant team.

• Advertisement

Good result in Scotland so hopefully can keep it going on Friday.

Must be the only national squad where there are more Munster players than Leinster players which is hard to square with the amount of Leinster clubs in Div 1. There is clearly a strong Munster bias in the selection - even the players from Leinster clubs (with the exception of Terenure) are generally guys from Munster who happen to be in Dublin.

It is a pity that the games are just against Scotland - would be great if some of the other 6 nations countries would get back involved (England & France have previously lined out at this level)

You would expect to be stronger at home.

players invited to training sessions and then squad picked. How else do you think it was picked
    Good result in Scotland so hopefully can keep it going on Friday.

Must be the only national squad where there are more Munster players than Leinster players which is hard to square with the amount of Leinster clubs in Div 1. There is clearly a strong Munster bias in the selection - even the players from Leinster clubs (with the exception of Terenure) are generally guys from Munster who happen to be in Dublin.

It is a pity that the games are just against Scotland - would be great if some of the other 6 nations countries would get back involved (England & France have previously lined out at this level)
    top sides in 1A to date are non leinster sides and coaches will pick who they know especially for such one off games like this. Hard probably to find more unions to get sides to play games at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Purple Fox

The Team should win considering it is against Scotlands 2nd League and not the same Quality as last year. With the new Super 6 Competition over there the players are being selected from the equivalent of 1B/2A.

players invited to training sessions and then squad picked. How else do you think it was picked

top sides in 1A to date are non leinster sides and coaches will pick who they know especially for such one off games like this. Hard probably to find more unions to get sides to play games at this level.

3 of the top 5 teams in 1A are Leinster. Coaches should pick the best players - this is a national team.

3 of the top 5 teams in 1A are Leinster. Coaches should pick the best players - this is a national team.
    its a club select for at max 2 games. Lots players turn it down for various reasons. It wont ever be the "best" ail players and coaches will pick guys they know as well. Same every season. Unless you get coaches of this aide who are not currently involved in an AIL side.
    And the top 2 sides who are 16 and 7 points clear of 3rd are not leinster sides.

And just because you are on a poor (relatively speaking) team does not mean that you are not the best player, in your position.

its a club select for at max 2 games. Lots players turn it down for various reasons. It wont ever be the "best" ail players and coaches will pick guys they know as well. Same every season. Unless you get coaches of this aide who are not currently involved in an AIL side.
    And the top 2 sides who are 16 and 7 points clear of 3rd are not leinster sides.

Lots of players turn it down..... I find hard to agree, it would always be a huge honour to play for your country at any level, but I figure that you know more of these top players than I ever would. Maybe lots of Munster players.
    To have a national team, (which I assume that it is) and not have any player from a Connacht or Ulster Club is wrong IMO. They are always opinions on who from each club would be invited, but in all honesty it looks like a club of mates playing a game against a second rate Scottish outfit. You do not have to be from a top fashionable club to be the best in each position for sure, but it should represent the whole of the country when it come to the clubs. It smacks of who you know to get on that squad. I will shout for any team wearing the badge and good luck to all involved.

Lots of players turn it down..... I find hard to agree, it would always be a huge honour to play for your country at any level, but I figure that you know more of these top players than I ever would. Maybe lots of Munster players.
    To have a national team, (which I assume that it is) and not have any player from a Connacht or Ulster Club is wrong IMO. They are always opinions on who from each club would be invited, but in all honesty it looks like a club of mates playing a game against a second rate Scottish outfit. You do not have to be from a top fashionable club to be the best in each position for sure, but it should represent the whole of the country when it come to the clubs. It smacks of who you know to get on that squad. I will shout for any team wearing the badge and good luck to all involved.
    why do you find it hard to believe that some/quite a few will turn it down. It's a fair bit more training/time away for few weeks and time commitment is high enough already for AIl players.
    There is no connacht club in division 1 at all and buccs are towards bottom of 2a and the 2B sides are all mid table.
    It isnt at all a club of just mates or anything like that. To call it as such just looks petty.

• Advertisement

why do you find it hard to believe that some/quite a few will turn it down. It's a fair bit more training/time away for few weeks and time commitment is high enough already for AIl players.
    There is no connacht club in division 1 at all and buccs are towards bottom of 2a and the 2B sides are all mid table.
    It isnt at all a club of just mates or anything like that. To call it as such just looks petty.

Not petty ..... just honest, that is how it looks to me. I do find it hard to believe that anyone would turn it down because it is an honour and a privilege to wear your countries jersey and if you make the sacrifice to play for your club home and away every week and train the required hours then I do not see why they would turn this wonderful opportunity down as you suggest. You seem to have personal knowledge of this saying that lots have turned it down, so you must know lots who have. You talk of Connacht clubs being from lower divisions, what about Ulster? Lots of good clubs up there. Not one player from an Ulster club. That’s not right in my eyes in a national team. If it is not the best players in the league selected (as you have suggested) surely it should be representative of the whole country?

There is nothing that is not factual about what i said the selection is....... all from two provinces and the coaches would know that when they select that squad. It will always leave me open to you calling me petty, but might as well say it as I see it. Thought that we were four proud provinces and not two.

Not petty ..... just honest, that is how it looks to me. I do find it hard to believe that anyone would turn it down because it is an honour and a privilege to wear your countries jersey and if you make the sacrifice to play for your club home and away every week and train the required hours then I do not see why they would turn this wonderful opportunity down as you suggest. You seem to have personal knowledge of this saying that lots have turned it down, so you must know lots who have. You talk of Connacht clubs being from lower divisions, what about Ulster? Lots of good clubs up there. Not one player from an Ulster club. That’s not right in my eyes in a national team. If it is not the best players in the league selected (as you have suggested) surely it should be representative of the whole country?

There is nothing that is not factual about what i said the selection is....... all from two provinces and the coaches would know that when they select that squad. It will always leave me open to you calling me petty, but might as well say it as I see it. Thought that we were four proud provinces and not two.
    but it does happen year on year that players turn it down as they dont want or cant commit to the extra training/weekends to play these games.

Of course it's an honour but plenty just cant commit to it.
    Training will be in around Dublin. Of Ulster sides maybe players not able to commit to sessions?
    Look at the full Irish side. Regularly has not had players from connacht involved. Is that not representative of Ireland then?

You now switching to the full professional side for your argument? Connacht have had representation on the irish side for a long time. But we are not talking about them...... we are talking about the AIL national club representative side. You keep saying that players turn it down without any back up to that, you have your opinion and I disagree with it. I do not know any club player who would turn it down.

Your reply that no Ulster players in the squad because the training is in Dublin and players maybe not able to commit to sessions........ really? Sorry but the journey from Belfast to Dublin is for me easier than from Cork or Limerick to Dublin. Don’t buy that one at all.

What clubs have the two coaches Predergast and Blaney coached over the years? How many of those clubs are represented on that team? Asking for a friend

You now switching to the full professional side for your argument? Connacht have had representation on the irish side for a long time. But we are not talking about them...... we are talking about the AIL national club representative side. You keep saying that players turn it down without any back up to that, you have your opinion and I disagree with it. I do not know any club player who would turn it down.
    connacht very regularly have not had representation. Of course I wont have anything I can show as proof but players wont commit to the club international side because of extra commitment required for trainig for it. AIL already takes up 3/4 sessions a week at a bare minimum and if you have to travel to the training sessions for this side players simply will not commit if it takes so much more time to do so. Thought that would be obvious.
    Your reply that no Ulster players in the squad because the training is in Dublin and players maybe not able to commit to sessions........ really? Sorry but the journey from Belfast to Dublin is for me easier than from Cork or Limerick to Dublin. Don’t buy that one at all.
    dont or just wont? Yeah it isnt easiest thing for many to commit to the extra weekends etc that are needed to be fully involved with this level of rugby. Plenty wont do it.
    What clubs have the two coaches Predergast and Blaney coached over the years? How many of those clubs are represented on that team? Asking for a friend
    of course there will be elements of bias in selection. Every team selection will have that. Coaches pick guys they know or feel will best get them success.

1. No it is not obvious at all. It is just your opinion. Mine is that 99.9%would jump at the opportunity, not that lots turned it down.

2. Don’t........ don’t buy it at all. Ulster players can get to Dublin easily and would do if selected. Which they were not.

3. Glad that we agree on something. There is huge bias in the selection, massive bias. Over half that squad are players from clubs coached by the two lads. If you feel that is the best way to get success then sound. I think it shows nepotism.

1. No it is not obvious at all. It is just your opinion. Mine is that 99.9%would jump at the opportunity, not that lots turned it down.

2. Don’t........ don’t buy it at all. Ulster players can get to Dublin easily and would do if selected. Which they were not.

3. Glad that we agree on something. There is huge bias in the selection, massive bias. Over half that squad are players from clubs coached by the two lads. If you feel that is the best way to get success then sound. I think it shows nepotism.
    committing extra time to travel to these sessions isnt that easy. You say people would if selected then why are more not even being nominated by clubs then? You say 99.9% would jump at it when it just iant true. Any team selection at any level anywhere has bias. It's always been the way and always will be the way. Coaches pick who they know. It isnt nepotism. It's a coach doing what they think will get them success.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

My god lads, on the club internationals. These lads are amatuers, no pro players. Most have jobs, partners/families etc

If you are a student, depending on which university you have your exams in Janaury, so that probably rules out playing

It is a huge commitment to play high level AIL, and when the games are on you are gone every second week for an entire Saturday.

Other lads chasing success or avoiding relegation might not want to risk injury for what is essentially a friendly despite the honour. And I know if of one lad as a fact who turned it down as had opportunity to get work.

It isn't as simple as just pick anyone.

Few Friday night games this week
    Lansdowne Clontarf in 1A, Mary's Naas in 1B and Nenagh Cashel in 2A
    Will likely go to the tipp derby Friday then the wegians game Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Purple Fox

Lansdowne V Tarf is a big match. Could decide that 4th position come the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭luke9311

Purple Fox wrote: »
    Lansdowne V Tarf is a big match. Could decide that 4th position come the end of the season.

probably abit biased here lol... but id probably tipp lansdowne for that game the recent run of wins they had plus on back pitch. but yeah winner stakes big claims going forward i think..

Advertisement