Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland League 2019-2020 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Stainalert wrote: »
    Can't understand why we have A interpro's this week - surely they could have been put back a week so as not to clash with AIL?
    madness could Irish 20s having warm up games be factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

Two more A games to happen in January as well, I think they are scheduled for European Cup weekends as Senior sides will be at their strongest to free players up for the A sides. If it is those weekends then one A game will clash with the return fixtures of this weekends clashes.

Wesley navan rescheduled for 19th December 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/12/18/79502/

International Club Squad announced

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/12/18/79502/

International Club Squad announced

Not a single Lansdowne player. Anyone know why?

• Advertisement

3 players were asked but all turned it down for different reasons.

19 Munster club players from a squad of 34 seems a few too many considering the spread of clubs in the 1st division Leinster 10 Munster 6 Ulster 4. Having said that Munster currently have the top 2 clubs.

No Ulster or Connacht representation at all.

There seem to be a fair few players who are not 1st choice in their club Eg JP Phelan (Clontarf)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Think that it is a shame that the international Clubs team is all Munster and Leinster. It should be more representative of the whole country.

lot players from all over turn it down as cant commit the time etc
    19 Munster club players from a squad of 34 seems a few too many considering the spread of clubs in the 1st division Leinster 10 Munster 6 Ulster 4. Having said that Munster currently have the top 2 clubs.

No Ulster or Connacht representation at all.

There seem to be a fair few players who are not 1st choice in their club Eg JP Phelan (Clontarf)
    connacht clubs all in division 2 and division 2 players are rare enough and they may not have nominated anyone to try make squad. Same with Ulster reps

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Think that it is a shame that the international Clubs team is all Munster and Leinster. It should be more representative of the whole country.
    players have to want to play on it and when theres no division 1 connacht club then far less likely to be players from connacht clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Ulster have got quite a few teams in division 1......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Brilliant night at Club Scene Podcast in Wesley last night, lads and guests were top notch.

One group of lads just wouldnt shut up for the whole thing though, despite being told multiple times and basically being asked to leave and go upstairs. Idiotic.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Ulster have got quite a few teams in division 1......
    on my phone. Meant 1A for Ulster. I know well theyve quite a few 1B sodes
    Brilliant night at Club Scene Podcast in Wesley last night, lads and guests were top notch.

One group of lads just wouldnt shut up for the whole thing though, despite being told multiple times and basically being asked to leave and go upstairs. Idiotic.
    cant wait to listen. Hopefully will have time tomorrow to listen in

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭luke9311

I was there myself yeah I found that myself was rather rude for most to be there and kept talking through the whole thing I think most of the nose came from Wesley members I remember watching Morgan Lennon in the crowd telling his players to quiet down

Sligo beat Corinthians in Connacht Senior Cup Final 19-12

Bateman cup semi early in new year
    Sligo v Cork Con. Dont know who playing in other semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lansdowne and Armagh, on Saturday in the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Evan Mintern after signing for the New York pro team

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭luke9311

that this saturday?

luke9311 wrote: »
    that this saturday?

Both Bateman Semi-finals are this Saturday. Sligo & Lansdowne both at home

• Advertisement

Zero mention of either semi-final on Irishrugby.ie

Zero mention of either semi-final on Irishrugby.ie
    shame but what have clubs done to promote games?
    Sligo have had it across radio, newspapers locally. Posters up. Hopefully we'll have match reports after

Crescent won Limerick Charity Cup beating cookies
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic_news/report-old-crescent-win-sporting-limerick-charity-cup-final

shame but what have clubs done to promote games?

It's not really up to clubs to promote competitions though, is it?

It's not really up to clubs to promote competitions though, is it?
    it very much is up to clubs to assist in getting people in the gate!
    Same with the provinces and any team and competition they play in.

it very much is up to clubs to assist in getting people in the gate!
    Same with the provinces and any team and competition they play in.

The provinces are professional business units of the IRFU, they have marketing departments to manage that.

The IRFU and branches have a duty to grow the game and they are abdicating their responsibility, on the domestic front, to clubs. Clubs which are stretched financially anyway. It is up to the branch and Union to promote their competitions and we should not be letting them off the hook so easily

The provinces are professional business units of the IRFU, they have marketing departments to manage that.

The IRFU and branches have a duty to grow the game and they are abdicating their responsibility, on the domestic front, to clubs. Clubs which are stretched financially anyway. It is up to the branch and Union to promote their competitions and we should not be letting them off the hook so easily
    the irfu can promote the league with comms department but you cant expect irfu to be doi marketing for individual club games.
    Clubs need to lead promo. A lot of clubs digital marketing could be so much better. Many websites are poor. Social media varies hugely club to club. In many areas/towns/cities there is little to no posters or any info on clubs fixtures or anything else.
    You can criticise IRFU all you like but clubs have to look at what they do a lot more. A lot of this does not cost that much to do and certainly will not stretch clubs

the irfu can promote the league with comms department but you cant expect irfu to be doi marketing for individual club games.
    Clubs need to lead promo. A lot of clubs digital marketing could be so much better. Many websites are poor. Social media varies hugely club to club. In many areas/towns/cities there is little to no posters or any info on clubs fixtures or anything else.
    You can criticise IRFU all you like but clubs have to look at what they do a lot more. A lot of this does not cost that much to do and certainly will not stretch clubs

Websites cost a lot of money, clubs with good sites have club members who are designers in my experience.
    Posters and info drops cost huge money.

Social media, yes, can be an easy win. But that is clubs promoting themselves, as opposed to general competitions. And I agree they fall down there, any PRO elected should have social media as a key part of the role.

I would not expect IRFU to promote individual games but I would expect the relevant branches to promote the semi-final and final of their respective competitions, which the IRFU site could then also run. It would not be hard.

Websites cost a lot of money, clubs with good sites have club members who are designers in my experience.
    Posters and info drops cost huge money.
    lot of money. It doesnt cost huge money to have a basic template for a poster and just keep that and reprint with info on next games at home or whatever clubs use business contacts and put posters up.
    Social media, yes, can be an easy win. But that is clubs promoting themselves, as opposed to general competitions. And I agree they fall down there, any PRO elected should have social media as a key part of the role
    but many dont use it effectively.
    I would not expect IRFU to promote individual games but I would expect the relevant branches to promote the semi-final and final of their respective competitions, which the IRFU site could then also run. It would not be hard.
    branches do in some cases but Munster do promote their comps. Connacht only have 5 senior clubs so very east for them to cover it. Leinster probably could do more but what are clubs sending in to leinster in terms of match reports etc. Provinces can do overview but cant be expected to have people at so many games. They dont have staff.
    Nearly all this promo has to be led by clubs. Provincial communications and marketing staff should be assisting and providing training for clubs and their members who want/need it but it has to be the clubs doing it themselves

Ballina have got penalised for breaching regulation 6...
    https://www.ballinarfc.com/news/statement-from-ballina-rugby-football-club-2499883.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Again the IRFU punish a team at the bottom of a division after Shannon last season. So inconsistent, we will never see a top club punished, seems to be one rule for some and another for the rest. Can see their frustration.

Advertisement