Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Are these forms to be posted in ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Treppen wrote: »
    My understanding is yes.

And, if you do get the grade you are still entitled.
    Heh, I can't see too many students who were happy with the grade risking it! Presumably the exam result would supersede the predicted grade.

Might find the process bringing out the gambler in some students! If it were me, I think I would have taken the easy route and been pleasantly surprised by my predicted grade so not needed to sit the exam... but there would definitely have been a bit of fight in me to do better.

It's an interesting situation! And a complete head wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Are these forms to be posted in ?

You can't post them in case they get mislaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

s1ippy wrote: »
    Heh, I can't see too many students who were happy with the grade risking it! Presumably the exam result would supersede the predicted grade.

Might find the process bringing out the gambler in some students! If it were me, I think I would have taken the easy route and been pleasantly surprised by my predicted grade so not needed to sit the exam... but there would definitely have been a bit of fight in me to do better.

It's an interesting situation! And a complete head wreck.

They can sit the exam regardless. And can keep whichever grade they prefer.

You csnt post them in case they get mislaid

Even by courier? What about cocooning teachers??

• Advertisement

Even by courier? What about cocooning teachers??

Another teacher can bring them for you.

If you don't get the grade you wanted can you then do the exam in Nov ??

No guarantee the exams will happen in November tho.

"when safe to do so"

Another teacher can bring them for you.

And for teachers living hundreds of miles away? A friend is cocooned in Roscommon, teaching in Dublin. Another in Tipp, school in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

And for teachers living hundreds of miles away? A friend is cocooned in Roscommon, teaching in Dublin. Another in Tipp, school in Dublin.

I raised this on the other thread .........
    In some schools they are insisting on the forms being collected as well as they want to enter student number first for the teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

km79 wrote: »
    I raised this on the other thread .........
    In some schools they are insisting on the forms being collected as well as they want to enter student number first for the teachers

From my viewing of that video, forms A and B are kept in the school. I think any principal should be happy to accept a digitally signed copy and print it and get a signed form in the event of an appeal whenever we get back to school. Also is there not a health risk getting an envelope from every member of staff that teach leaving cert?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I’m done. Alignment meeting on Tuesday. Hopefully the student portal closes Wednesday. Hand them in Thursday.
    No reason for this to drag on .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

I’m done. Alignment meeting on Tuesday. Hopefully the student portal closes Wednesday. Hand them in Thursday.
    No reason for this to drag on .

What "evidence" have you used if you don't mind me asking?

What portion of your ranking/grades would you say is due to your professional judgement and what portion would be down to cold hard stats like class tests, house exams etc....again if you don't mind me asking?

Are you printing the forms out and signing them?

amacca wrote: »
    What "evidence" have you used if you don't mind me asking?

What portion of your ranking/grades would you say is due to your professional judgement and what portion would be down to cold hard stats like class tests, house exams etc....again if you don't mind me asking?

Are you printing the forms out and signing them?
    To be honest, I’d prefer not to go into detail. The title of Black Sabbath’s biggest hit comes to mind!!

I printed out form B at home. I‘lol get the form As at school.

To be honest, I’d prefer not to go into detail. The title of Black Sabbath’s biggest hit comes to mind!!

I deleted my post as it quoted yours and you have now made me paranoid :D

I deleted my post as it quoted yours and you have now made me paranoid :D

Fair play..much appreciated!!

Is there a video on this ?

Fair enough,

Understood, I think I know where you're coming from.

Great song too:D

Is there a video on this ?

I'd say it's that video posted earlier..................

amacca wrote: »
    I'd say it's that video posted earlier..................

I will look for it.
    I'm.aghast that people think this will be done next week. That's nuts. The document only came out Friday.

Training video up

https://vimeo.com/421625482

If you've the document read there's nothing new in it

There you go Bob

Regarding getting it completed by next week.
    There are only so many times you can look at a list of 20 students and their results before you start making a mess of it imo !

• Advertisement

There you go Bob

Regarding getting it completed by next week.
    There are only so many times you can look at a list of 20 students and their results before you start making a mess of it imo !

Agreed. Dougal, Ted and the car for the raffle come to mind.

Grades done

I have 2 LC subjects.

Bout 5hrs yesterday and 7 hrs today.
    (different sized classes and I had all evidence lined up already, just went thro the usual marking schemes with each candidate in mind)

Forms next.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Grades done

I have 2 LC subjects.

Bout 5hrs yesterday and 7 hrs today.
    (different sized classes and I had all evidence lined up already, just went thro the usual marking schemes with each candidate in mind)

Forms next.
    Is school sending you out forms?

paddybarry wrote: »
    Is school sending you out forms?

Think they are. Gonna print them myself anyway and start filling what I can tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I will look for it.
    I'm.aghast that people think this will be done next week. That's nuts. The document only came out Friday.

Which is more or less the exact same document that was released two weeks ago. You can dress it up whatever way you want, but most people will be getting an average of house exams and then from there professional judgement comes into it as to how much they reasonably think the student will improve. Sitting looking at the spreadsheet for three weeks won't change that.

If your student was a H4 yesterday, they will still be a H4 next week.

I haven't even read the bleeding document. Still teaching
    Plus I'd be wary of just sending forms off as there have been so many flip flops.
    How complicated are the forms ? Have not looked!

It's Guess work . I had a student who was lumbering around a D suddenly getting a B in the Mocks. Even allowing for leaks that was good. He got his act together and with the entire paper in front did quite well.

Hard to guess his grade !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Plus I'd be wary of just sending forms off as there have been so many flip flops.
    It's Guess work . I had a student who were lumbering around a D suddenly getting a B in the Mocks. Even allowing for leaks that was good. He got his act together and with the entire paper in front did quite well.

Hard to guess his grade !

You were the very one for the last two weeks just constantly going on about 'just inflate their grades'. Why don't you just read the documentation and maybe see what is involved.

Being 'tempted' to give someone 55 because their grades have gone between a B and a D sounds like someone throwing darts and a board and picking a grade out at random.

There's not much to the forms. The work is in gathering your data, making a spreadsheet and ranking your class.

Predicting grades then, I went through marking schemes again for each student considering what they knew and how they wud be marked, that took a good while.

The forms are only Name, Number, Subject, Level, School Roll Number

Few tick boxes, only thing to watch for is special accommodation and bonus marks for answering thro Irish. This will be the less tedious part of the job, I hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

There's not much to the forms. The work is in gathering your data, making a spreadsheet and ranking your class.

Predicting grades then, I went through marking schemes again for each student considering what they knew and how they wud be marked, that took a good while.

The forms are only Name, Number, Subject, Level, School Roll Number

Few tick boxes, only thing to watch for is special accommodation and bonus marks for answering thro Irish. This will be the less tedious part of the job, I hope :)

For anyone who missed them - The official forms are in the Appendices of the circular if you have access to a printer at home. Forms A and B are the ones teachers need.

Advertisement