Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Due to fly with them 1st of May, should I have heard from them regarding a refund or still a bit early?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I posted this elsewhere. It might be useful

Right so eventually I got talking to someone in the CC company.
    They said if I paid for the flights on the understanding that I would fly then the airline didnt deliver their end of the transaction, no matter what the reason, they cannot keep the money I paid. They cannot substitute the money I paid for other goods, eg vouchers either.

She said dont accept anything but a refund on my card if thats what I want.
    When the date pf the flights passes I am to initiate a charge back on my card and they will take care of the rest. If I dont get the flights the money will go back onto my card basically.

I asked her did that apply to the issuer of my other card and she said I have to ring them and as, that she could not comment for them. So ring your own issuer and check.

What i read from all of that is the CC provider has the authority to return the money to our accounts if we enter a dispute with the Airline and it is confirmed we did not get the goods we paid for.
    When they run out of money they will go bankrupt i assume, personally i think this has a bit to run but we see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

What i read from all of that is the CC provider has the authority to return the money to our accounts if we enter a dispute with the Airline and it is confirmed we did not get the goods we paid for.
    When they run out of money they will go bankrupt i assume, personally i think this has a bit to run but we see.

Yeah my take on it was that

Paid money for a flight.
    Did not pay for a voucher.

Didnt get a flight. Deal broken.
    Voucher is not cash.
    Refund cash.
    If not refunded credit card will refund it.

Airlines are still taking money for future flights so should have some cashflow anyway.

This is the model that they went for. Take cash early, spend it and deliver the flights afterwards. Things would be a lot better if they let people pay half and then pay the balance 4 weeks before travel. Then they wouldnt have spent the money for a flight they havent given the passenger yet.

If they keep frightening people that the vouchers will have conditions or that they wont pay cash then people will want the cash.

If they came out honestly now and said we are offering vouchers which have no conditions and are just like cash then a lot of people might settle for vouchers. But they wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

zweton wrote: »
    Due to fly with them 1st of May, should I have heard from them regarding a refund or still a bit early?
    It looks like they haven’t officially cancelled any flights in May yet, however if you go on the website the vast majority of flights are showing as being sold out. These would be the flights earmarked for cancellation. I guess they will wait another little while before officially cancelling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Bought 3 flights from FR for late March and mid April.
    Have received 3 notices of cancellation.
    Have received 3 emails offering switching of flights for no fees.
    Then received 3 emails with a unique link for each flight to start the process of refunds.
    Returned each of the 3 emails requesting a refund.
    Received 1 email yesterday saying that I going to have to wait a little longer for my refund application to be processed.
    I expect two other similar emails today for my other two flights requesting me to be patient while they process my applications.

In all fairness its nothing more of the usual Corporate Customer Service sh1te, I’ve become accustomed to over recent decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Noxegon wrote: »

Typical sensatational 'consumer' rubbish from Conor Pope. The headline says cash refunds are suspended then the next paragraph says they are possible if you wait (they would say that) but they'll issue vouchers straight away.

Refunds are not optional, it's European law.

No airline can avoid the chargeback route whether they like it or not if they refuse refunds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

As previously advised, our Customer Services Team are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests due to the COVID-19 crisis and we are prioritising our most vulnerable customers. This has been compounded by government public health restrictions on non-essential work travel which means we have less staff available to us during this busy time. Please rest assured your refund request is currently in the queue and will be processed.

No mention of refund suspended and no mention of taking a voucher.

I don't get the vulnerable customers bit, what are they exactly in terms of refunds?

The airlines work pretty like banking, the manage the money we have paid up front up to a year in advance, this is our invested money which is daily break even stuff.
    Then the game starts and later booking, premium seats, priority. This is where they make the money.
    I may get caught but i am hopeful i will be able to rebook, Anyone that bought a €9.99 flight will not be complaining if they can upgrade for free.

EasyJet.
    I had flight booked with them to return May 1.
    I got email today to say out flight cancelled so was given the option of free change which i have already done so all good.
    Problem.
    There is a middle aged man 80+ who lives abroad, he was using the fact that he could travel to the Airport abroad with us, i would take him from the Airport here and drop him at his daughters house, it make life easy as though he in good health not fit for this alone, he is originally from UK and daughter lives here. Also i booked the ticket i feel responsible for refund for him, it cost €100+ so i want to get him refund if he cannot travel, the refund option was not given on this flight as separate booking.
    EasyJet are today selling tickets for May 1 so it seems to me they expect to be back up there.
    Any advise as to do appreciated as he does not want to travel alone which is what i will first of all suggest and i pick-up at Airport.
    I want to have plan B if he is uncomfortable with this.
    I have a few thoughts but thought people here may advise.

many thanks

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

zweton wrote:

I've a flight booked for early May and received an email from them yesterday offering to change the flight up until 31st August for no extra fee. The email itself went into my promotions tab in Gmail rather than the primary tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I received following today at 18:46

Dear Customer,

I refer to our recent correspondence regarding your refund request on booking *****(Mod edit remove sensitive information

As previously advised, our Customer Services Team are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests due to the COVID-19 crisis and we are prioritising our most vulnerable customers. This has been compounded by government public health restrictions on non-essential work travel which means we have less staff available to us during this busy time. Please rest assured your refund request is currently in the queue and will be processed. If you have selected new travel dates and would prefer to move your booking, please contact us

We appreciate your patience at this time.

Yours sincerely,
    Ryanair Customer Services

It doesn't mention suspension & was received after this article from Conor Pope, so perhaps Ryanair are denying they are suspended?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The airlines work pretty like banking, the manage the money we have paid up front up to a year in advance, this is our invested money which is daily break even stuff.
    Then the game starts and later booking, premium seats, priority. This is where they make the money.
    I may get caught but i am hopeful i will be able to rebook, Anyone that bought a €9.99 flight will not be complaining if they can upgrade for free.

EasyJet.
    I had flight booked with them to return May 1.
    I got email today to say out flight cancelled so was given the option of free change which i have already done so all good.
    Problem.
    There is a middle aged man 80+ who lives abroad, he was using the fact that he could travel to the Airport abroad with us, i would take him from the Airport here and drop him at his daughters house, it make life easy as though he in good health not fit for this alone, he is originally from UK and daughter lives here. Also i booked the ticket i feel responsible for refund for him, it cost €100+ so i want to get him refund if he cannot travel, the refund option was not given on this flight as separate booking.
    EasyJet are today selling tickets for May 1 so it seems to me they expect to be back up there.
    Any advise as to do appreciated as he does not want to travel alone which is what i will first of all suggest and i pick-up at Airport.
    I want to have plan B if he is uncomfortable with this.
    I have a few thoughts but thought people here may advise.

many thanks

Whatever about Ryanair who I’ve actually found easy to deal with once you don’t mind waiting for refund, EasyJet are a nightmare if it’s a refund you want.

No automated form, website will send you round in circles, live chat is closed and phone number plays an automated message before hanging up. There is an online query form which you’ll have to go searching for which they say they will aim to get back to within 28 days. That’s the best I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I received following today at 18:46

Dear Customer,

I refer to our recent correspondence regarding your refund request on booking XXXX

As previously advised, our Customer Services Team are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests due to the COVID-19 crisis and we are prioritising our most vulnerable customers. This has been compounded by government public health restrictions on non-essential work travel which means we have less staff available to us during this busy time. Please rest assured your refund request is currently in the queue and will be processed. If you have selected new travel dates and would prefer to move your booking, please contact us

We appreciate your patience at this time.

Yours sincerely,
    Ryanair Customer Services

It doesn't mention suspension & was received after this article from Conor Pope, so perhaps Ryanair are denying they are suspended?

I got the same email this morning. Not sure where Conor Pope got his info. Maybe true but it’s not out there to the public from Ryanair themselves yet.

BTW you might want edit out your booking ref. Not sure if anyone could do anything with it but better to be safe. I’ve cleared it in my quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

So RYN are saying looks like no flights before 17th june, i think JET 2 are the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If you hadn't already noticed Conor Pope is a poor excuse for a consumer affairs journalist.

Sends tweets to get leads on stories and still cant even get the facts straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

zone 1 wrote: »
    So RYN are saying looks like no flights before 17th june, i think JET 2 are the same.

Can I ask where you saw or heard that?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

venusdoom wrote: »
    I've a flight booked for early May and received an email from them yesterday offering to change the flight up until 31st August for no extra fee. The email itself went into my promotions tab in Gmail rather than the primary tab.

Venusdoom

same issue but flights booked for middle of may.. did I read e-mail wrong as I thought only option was to re-book a flight before 31st August not dates after this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

"This has been compounded by government public health restrictions on non-essential work travel which means we have less staff available to us during this busy time"

This is nothing but ryanair trying to frustrate customers into giving up on refunds. If they had the will they could easily have these staff processing refunds while working from home. No essential travel required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

As per usual it another prime example of O’Leary dragging his feet when it comes to Customer Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

“We would like to invite you to use your voucher to book your next trip and we look forward to seeing you again on a Ryanair flight in the very near future. Should you prefer a cash refund please contact us... and we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the Covid-19 emergency has passed.”

Passengers who wish to request cash as an alternative to a voucher that as our payment agents are required to stay at home in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, payment security restrictions prevent us from processing cash refunds until the Covid-19 crisis has abated.

Those darned computers if only Ryanair had a computer labs department with 300 hot IT professionals Michael would be able to give you back your money.

Oh wait didn't I see something about that:

Ryanair labs are building high performance software which will be used by millions of customers on a daily basis, our software development team work with cutting edge technology to provide technical solutions and innovative ideas to revolutionise the travel industry and exceed the expectations of customers and business users."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

For those of us who have already applied for a refund, will it be processed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Lu Tze wrote: »

Why wouldn't it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

paddy19 wrote: »
    “We would like to invite you to use your voucher to book your next trip and we look forward to seeing you again on a Ryanair flight in the very near future. Should you prefer a cash refund please contact us... and we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the Covid-19 emergency has passed.”

Passengers who wish to request cash as an alternative to a voucher that as our payment agents are required to stay at home in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, payment security restrictions prevent us from processing cash refunds until the Covid-19 crisis has abated.

So you can have a voucher or rebook your flight because the staff dealing with the rebookings and vouchers are still beavering away somewhere but if you want your money back you can't have it because the staff dealing with the cash refunds aren't working because they have to stay home until the crisis ends...?

Is that not the most Ryanair thing you've ever seen...?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

afro man wrote:
    same issue but flights booked for middle of may.. did I read e-mail wrong as I thought only option was to re-book a flight before 31st August not dates after this

Yeah that's what my email said too. I definately will not be booking a flight for this summer anyway. I hope either that offer gets extended for a year at the least or I get my money back.

"For those of us who have already applied for a refund, will it be processed?"

"and we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the Covid-19 emergency has passed.”

Not until Covid has passed.

But you wouldn't begrudge poor Michael O'Leary an interest free loan?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

danmci wrote: »
    "This has been compounded by government public health restrictions on non-essential work travel which means we have less staff available to us during this busy time".

But airline staff would be classed as “essential workers”?

" Besides if they give it to one airline they have to give it to all. "

No they don't.

THE UK government agreed a £100m bailout which allowed FlyBe to keep operating.
    It let Thomas Cook die.

It can bailout an airline and demand a share of the action which the airline may not like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lu Tze wrote: »

I applied on 11 March. Got the same email as Paddy19 this week with a voucher. I'll be going to the CAR as per the ECC on the stroke of 6 weeks

Advertisement