Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-06-2020, 00:05   #31
selectamatic

Big end failure isn't unheard of on 2.5sti's so it'd be plausible for a similar failure to happen an n/a outback.

The lack of any oil under or in the engine is pretty puzzling tbh though. Could it have possibly been burning oil for the last good while? If it was leaking a drop I'm assuming you were having to keep it topped up? this might have hidden any oil burning problems as naturally the leak would be the prime suspect.

How much driving had been done since the work was done?

Last edited by selectamatic; 03-06-2020 at 00:08.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 09:14   #32
sumo12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Belt is still intact, the boxer engine seems pretty straightforward when it comes to being able to see things easily.
It's 14 years old and with close to 340k on the clock.
All filters, oil, pulleys etc were changed.
Then I had the valve cover gasket replaced as it was leaking oil and the spark plugs changed too.
The latter was only done on Thursday.
So I'm pretty skeptical that the car suddenly crapped itself.
2.5 outback
How long did you reasonably expect it to go on for...?
04-06-2020, 10:19   #33
bear1

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectamatic View Post
Big end failure isn't unheard of on 2.5sti's so it'd be plausible for a similar failure to happen an n/a outback.

The lack of any oil under or in the engine is pretty puzzling tbh though. Could it have possibly been burning oil for the last good while? If it was leaking a drop I'm assuming you were having to keep it topped up? this might have hidden any oil burning problems as naturally the leak would be the prime suspect.

How much driving had been done since the work was done?
It wasn't burning any oil but to be fair I hadn't checked it for about 2/3 weeks but even then it was ok.
Coolant was also at the correct level.
I honestly can't explain where everything disappeared within a few days without any warning and no spots or residue on my garage floor.
I'd guess more or less 1.5k since the work was done.
Nothing to be honest.
04-06-2020, 10:20   #34
bear1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo12 View Post
How long did you reasonably expect it to go on for...?
After replacing the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, all filters and oil plus new coolant within the last two months?
Quite a while to be honest...
04-06-2020, 16:50   #35
zilog_jones

Send a message via MSN to zilog_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
It wasn't burning any oil but to be fair I hadn't checked it for about 2/3 weeks but even then it was ok.
Coolant was also at the correct level.
How often were you doing long trips like this? I've seen cars that drank oil at motorway speeds (like about a litre per 400 km) whereas consumption at lower speeds was minimal. Maybe they used a lighter oil than what was previously in it, which could also increase consumption substantially if the piston rings/valve stem seals aren't in great shape (e.g. going from 10W40 to 5W30 oil).

As others have said, the oil had to go somewhere, though it wouldn't explain the coolant loss.
Advertisement
04-06-2020, 17:03   #36
bear1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilog_jones View Post
How often were you doing long trips like this? I've seen cars that drank oil at motorway speeds (like about a litre per 400 km) whereas consumption at lower speeds was minimal. Maybe they used a lighter oil than what was previously in it, which could also increase consumption substantially if the piston rings/valve stem seals aren't in great shape (e.g. going from 10W40 to 5W30 oil).

As others have said, the oil had to go somewhere, though it wouldn't explain the coolant loss.
This would have been it's first long trip since the work done to it since February.
So not used much considering the pandemic etc.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion