Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine seized

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

bear1 wrote: »
    Belt is still intact, the boxer engine seems pretty straightforward when it comes to being able to see things easily.
    It's 14 years old and with close to 340k on the clock.
    All filters, oil, pulleys etc were changed.
    Then I had the valve cover gasket replaced as it was leaking oil and the spark plugs changed too.
    The latter was only done on Thursday.
    So I'm pretty skeptical that the car suddenly crapped itself.
    2.5 outback

How long did you reasonably expect it to go on for...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Big end failure isn't unheard of on 2.5sti's so it'd be plausible for a similar failure to happen an n/a outback.

The lack of any oil under or in the engine is pretty puzzling tbh though. Could it have possibly been burning oil for the last good while? If it was leaking a drop I'm assuming you were having to keep it topped up? this might have hidden any oil burning problems as naturally the leak would be the prime suspect.

How much driving had been done since the work was done?

It wasn't burning any oil but to be fair I hadn't checked it for about 2/3 weeks but even then it was ok.
    Coolant was also at the correct level.
    I honestly can't explain where everything disappeared within a few days without any warning and no spots or residue on my garage floor.
    I'd guess more or less 1.5k since the work was done.
    Nothing to be honest.

sumo12 wrote: »
    How long did you reasonably expect it to go on for...?

After replacing the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, all filters and oil plus new coolant within the last two months?
    Quite a while to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

bear1 wrote: »
    It wasn't burning any oil but to be fair I hadn't checked it for about 2/3 weeks but even then it was ok.
    Coolant was also at the correct level.

How often were you doing long trips like this? I've seen cars that drank oil at motorway speeds (like about a litre per 400 km) whereas consumption at lower speeds was minimal. Maybe they used a lighter oil than what was previously in it, which could also increase consumption substantially if the piston rings/valve stem seals aren't in great shape (e.g. going from 10W40 to 5W30 oil).

As others have said, the oil had to go somewhere, though it wouldn't explain the coolant loss.

How often were you doing long trips like this? I've seen cars that drank oil at motorway speeds (like about a litre per 400 km) whereas consumption at lower speeds was minimal. Maybe they used a lighter oil than what was previously in it, which could also increase consumption substantially if the piston rings/valve stem seals aren't in great shape (e.g. going from 10W40 to 5W30 oil).

As others have said, the oil had to go somewhere, though it wouldn't explain the coolant loss.

This would have been it's first long trip since the work done to it since February.
    So not used much considering the pandemic etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement