Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 - (*** Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Evade wrote: »
    I watched a lot of the CW shows until one day I noticed you'd miss nothing by only watching the season opener, mid-season two parter, and the finale. Everything else is just stalling to get to 24 episodes.

That's what made me give up on the Walking Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The 100 had the problem of building a reputation, like Game of Thrones, of killing off characters. But also like Game of Thrones, once they got to a core set of characters, everyone was pretty safe with maybe the occasional big death.
    Murphy was my favourite though.

Anyway, Star Trek Discovery. Another show where none of the main characters are likely to be killed off. Though that's more due to the fact there is only one main character and all her supporting characters. :)

On another note, was there ever any word about the Section 31 spinoff, or if it involves Michelle Yeoh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

CastorTroy wrote: »

On another note, was there ever any word about the Section 31 spinoff, or if it involves Michelle Yeoh?

It's still in development, I think they are just trying to work around people's schedules especially Yeohs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's still in development, I think they are just trying to work around people's schedules especially Yeohs

I'd have to dig out the link but I'm fairly sure it's functionally dead last I heard, that there are no discussions about it in the Trek war room

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd have to dig out the link but I'm fairly sure it's functionally dead last I heard, that there are no discussions about it in the Trek war room

I've heard the same from some pretty hardcore pro CBS Trek fans who tend to have a lot of info on stuff.
    Not the usual Doomcock crap

• Advertisement

Having a look online it seems sites are reporting it won't be seen until an existing series finishes.

Though I'd say they mean Discovery, Picard or Strange New Worlds rather than either of the animated series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

pixelburp wrote: »

Article that talks about it https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a36474764/star-trek-discovery-shazad-latif-section-31-spin-off/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oof, not much then. So here's the link below, the one I was talking about. Reads equally fuzzy, and what was said also reads the Section 31 spin-off is just one idea among a collection of others, all of which are just nebulous 'til any of the current 5 shows finish.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/star-trek-universe-paramount-plus-prodigy-1234914526/

Seems strange they wrote Georgiou out without the planned series.
    I guess they had other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems strange they wrote Georgiou out without the planned series.
    I guess they had other reasons.

Likely budget since she's a high-profile actress who was likely commanding a higher salary. CBS have been bleeding cash lately and may not have been able to continue paying for a character that was kind of supplemental to the series at this stage.

• Advertisement

Yup Ockham's Razor n all. Yeoh would be the highest salary by far, with only Jason Isaacs in season 1 likely coming anywhere close. The rest the standard mix of Canadians and Brits among the cast. Georghiu should have been jettisoned 2 seasons ago; I still grind my teeth thinking of that awful "goodbye" scene in the mess. Emblematic of everything wrong with Discovery; let's all tearfully say farewell to a woman who was abominably horrible to everyone now welling up, with only Burnham having any personal connection to warrant any emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

The mess room scene with Tilly referring to Georgeio has a "bad ass" seemed especially tone deaf to the relationship that character actually had with Space Hitler. Tilly should have been relieved that she was gone and would have been drinking in celebration to her departure. Tilly's speech felt like a bit of projection from the production who may have been hoping that audiences where actually fans of evil Geogeio, which may have also been one of the reasons for the 2-parter farewell (the other reason being an excuse to draw out a budget-saving bottle episode).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

New York Comic Con Trailer:

Release date from Season 3 thread:

In the trailer, I definitely noticed a Ferengi Starfleet Officer and that one of the voiced lines was by a part human, part cardassian character.

Something going to destory the Galaxy! Oh my goodness! 😁

You know? I think I'm done. I gave it a fair shot, even trumpeted some hype at season 3s potential but this is an inexcusably, badly written show beyond redemption. Just one sequence of melodrama after another with no semblance of intelligence between the ears.

The writers don't want to write Trek, they want to write Space PewPew and they can go with god. If, and it's a big if, trusted sources pivot and say this is a swing back to quality then cool. Until then I'm keeping distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

is season 4 coming to Netflix in November or will we have to wait for Paramount+ next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh.. more than I spotted with the "part human, part cardassian" .. actually Cardassian-Bajoran-Human and also:

Federation President for the 32nd Century

https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1446901881750659076

Checked the wiki page for season 4 and it says this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery_(season_4)

Release

The season is set to premiere on Paramount+ in the United States on November 18, 2021.[37] Bell Media broadcasts the series in Canada on the specialty channels CTV Sci-Fi Channel (English) and Z (French) on the same day as the U.S., before streaming episodes on Crave. Netflix has streaming rights for the series in another 188 countries, and releases each episode of the series for streaming within 24 hours of its U.S. debut.[1]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There is one thing I noted about the season 4 trailer. It seems to have been a bit more intelligently edited and doesn't seem to give much away. You get the general setup of the anomaly eating things, but that's been known for months. I'm still pessimistic after season 3 though, so I'm not taking this as a hopeful sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I didn’t want to Google so as to avoid possible spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I'd hoped with where S3 left off that S4 would be focused on rebuilding the Federation / re-establishing contact and finding out what has happened to the various races / planets. But the fact that the premise is *yet again* THE ENTIRE GALAXY IS IN DANGER!! makes me feel very underwhelmed. Having such high stakes for every single season feels extremely repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm just after finishing my first ever run through of S3 of Enterprise, the Xindi crisis, and to be honest I slightly prefer Discovery. But only slightly. I'll give my full thoughts on Enterprise on the relevant thread.

In the interest of balance and fairness I'll present to you the opinions of Trek Culture's Seán Ferrick who seems pretty optimistic about Discovery and for what it is. Comments on the video don't seem to be trolling much on Discovery either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

That's an ugly looking Ferengi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It really reminds me of some sort of orc or..... Just cannot put my finger on it.... But it's very very familiar looking.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Looks like something from Labyrinth or Dark Crystal to me but same as you it is really reminding me of something I just can't put my finger on

I was going to say the Ferenghi were already ugly but ... Yeah. There's something wrong about the design. Might work better in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's not much different to Grand Nagus or Moogie to be honest. What you also have to remember is the make up has to stand up to 4K TV scrutiny whereas DS9 hasn't been upscaled to 720 or 1080 yet.

Making better prosthetics is understandable but that Ferengi is just change for the sake of change.

It's not the detail that's bothering me, it's just something off about the design itself. I'd have to Google some images but maybe it's the ears?

The outer cartilage of the ears used to flow into the heavy brow. There's no thick cartilage on the ears any more and they're completely disconnected from the brow too.

• Advertisement

The ears were contiguous with the brow, this makes it looks like a budget Nosferatu

Advertisement