Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 - (*** Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I like the new uniforms, I think.

Other than that I had really hoped they would shelve the Burnham centric universe ending problems by season 4. Doesn't look like the case.

I'll still watch it, because it's Trek, but I'm so happy I saw your Picard trailer post before I came here to rant!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm okay with the new uniforms, I thought the grey ones looked kind of 19th century in their colour and style.

Speculation/spoliers:
    it looks like Saru stays, but as first officer, with Burnham remaining captain from one of the images released. Although the Burnham-centric nature of the show has been an issue so far, making her the captain may tie her to the ship and crew more, instead of her going off on her own to single handedly save the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Spear wrote: »
    I'm okay with the new uniforms, I thought the grey ones looked kind of 19th century in their colour and style.

Speculation/spoliers:
    it looks like Saru stays, but as first officer, with Burnham remaining captain from one of the images released. Although the Burnham-centric nature of the show has been an issue so far, making her the captain may tie her to the ship and crew more, instead of her going off on her own to single handedly save the universe.

Based on that trailer, it looks like much of the same as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Rawr

Picard 2 has me hopeful, Lower Decks 2 has me really hopeful.

This...doesn't really surprise me at all, and I guess that's why I'm not disappointed. I really can't see myself managing to get motivated enough to see this one. It was such a slogg to finish Season 3 near the end, and this trailer gives me the impression that it will be even more of the same. Something is floating about threatening the entire Alpha Quadrant / Galaxy, and I can't seem to care despite their best efforts to illustrate high-stakes. I think it's because I know that the pay off just won't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Based on that trailer, it looks like much of the same as before.

Yup, ten episodes of to find out how Burnham saves the world. Like all the other seasons.

However, the Picard trailer is teasing a Tapestry style season, which could be amazing, and Lower Decks has a Miranda class and jazz Riker, so two out of three ain't bad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The one potential positive in all this is that by making Burnham the captain, it somewhat removes the frustration of her unilateralism and ability to steer plots around more senior figures from prior years. She's the captain now, these big script swings will at least sit better on her shoulders, given the buck now really does stop with her.

Though no doubt too much time will be spent with her angsting "gosh, am I the right leader?" And the rest of the crew telling her how wonderful she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that is nothing surprising. Just more of the same. Ye I will not be in any big hurry to watch season 4 then. I think 4 seasons of this show will be enough and end it at that it does not deserve any more seasons of it's just constantly the same stuff rehashed a different way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

After just horsing through 5 seasons of brilliant sci-fi in the form of The Expanse, wasting anymore time on this feels a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

can you unpoison a well? all the characters are firmly in their tracks at this stage, apart from Saru there is no character where you dont want the scene to end. At this stage I might just watch Nerdrotic's reaction for the lolz and to confirm its just more of the same

the RT ratings are a hoot 91% critics 45% audience , note the Expanse is 93% and 94% talk about in sympatico

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery/s03

91%
    TOMATOMETER
    Critic Ratings: 32
    45%
    AUDIENCE SCORE
    User Ratings: 692

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 30,824 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

silverharp wrote: »
    can you unpoison a well? all the characters are firmly in their tracks at this stage, apart from Saru there is no character where you dont want the scene to end. At this stage I might just watch Nerdrotic's reaction for the lolz and to confirm its just more of the same

the RT ratings are a hoot 91% critics 45% audience , note the Expanse is 93% and 94% talk about in sympatico

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery/s03

91%
    TOMATOMETER
    Critic Ratings: 32
    45%
    AUDIENCE SCORE
    User Ratings: 692

RT is kinda pointless for TV unfortunately, as most of the critic reviews for a season/show are based off only an episode or two. Most of the reviews from season 3 are dated October last year, at a time when only 2 episodes had aired.

RT's good enough for a quick read yay/nay for movies, but it just doesn't really work for TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    RT is kinda pointless for TV unfortunately, as most of the critic reviews for a season/show are based off only an episode or two. Most of the reviews from season 3 are dated October last year, at a time when only 2 episodes had aired.

RT's good enough for a quick read yay/nay for movies, but it just doesn't really work for TV.

I dont care about critics scores though I find it amusing, 0% or 100% wouldnt change a decision but the user scores are going to drip in during the season. I had a quick look at the number of user scores,>1500 for season 4 of the expanse and <700 for season 3 of discovery, so again less energy as well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, aggregators are meaningless with TV, as many outlets would only receive a few episodes to review. A few will do per-episode watches of course, but there's no source of truth to be gleaned from the perspective of a critical consensus as it never reflect an entire season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

They honestly couldn't have designed a less appealing teaser for me. Its full of the all the grating Discovery tropes I've come to hate:

overwrought narration [check]
    galaxy wide threat [check]

Same s**t , different season.

They'll spend half the season setting up this galaxy threatening anomaly at the expense of exploring the 32 century and Discoveries under developed characters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They honestly couldn't have designed a less appealing teaser for me. Its full of the all the grating Discovery tropes I've come to hate:

They'll spend half the season setting up this galaxy threatening anomaly at the expense of exploring the 32 century and Discoveries under developed characters.

I suspect they're limited in the completed footage, and much like the teaser for season 3, it's mostly from the first episode.

Not that the other criticisms aren't still valid despite this, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gave up on it after season 2 just didnt do it me , wasnt getting the ratings on whatever channel as well as it got bumped to midnight - how its still going is beyond me.

rewatching enterprise with fond memories at teh moment

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yup, from the look of that trailer, awful show is still awful.

More Burnham saves the galaxy nonsense, more teen drama feels and tears, more anonymous crew members.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

Has anyone seen the Stagate SG-1 episode 200? STD is really reminding me of the Wormhole X-treme movie.

Evade wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Stagate SG-1 episode 200? STD is really reminding me of the Wormhole X-treme movie.

z8WQxYb5sWgOTszPh6clAXEy1WB0lyAzMnzHXqEARu-y-j8oaeusJopUM0ru-tmevmqLBKbKAWTmix07w5BVTA-LKRfQl60pM8xDrp104D5piYdQ

I think I might prefer to watch Wormhole X-treme. Would at least be funny :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And let's not forget the fantastically meta...

And let's not forget the fantastically meta...

I love the fun they had with that bit, "I have no idea what that is."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hopefully s4 will be the end of this. There is no way it deserves more than ENT got

I must say, I never quite got the HATE for Discovery. I enjoyed some of the characters and it gave us the Pike spinoff which we have to be grateful for.
    But, like so many, the biggest weakness is the overreliance on the Burnham character to the detriment of ALL other characters and the overly melodramatic voiceovers about hope and peace and.... I don't know.... the importance of a good cup of tea.

Each season trailer seemed to indicate a slight shift in tone suggesting a slight lessening on the focus on Burnham or a removal that stick from her ass. Only for us to find out that this was mistaken (I'm thinking particularly about last season which seemed to show her having more fun only to realise that they were all picked from one 5 min sequence in the first episode).

However this trailer doesn't even bother with that subterfuge. I'll still watch it. I'm sure I'll enjoy parts but, yeah, it's not on my "AWESOME, Trek is back!!!" reaction.

I thought last season was very poor and a real missed opportunity: Book started as a fun but one-note character (cough)Han Solo(cough) before falling to the standard Burnham-worshipping role. I liked the addition of the new Trill/human kid but again, their situation simply HAD to be resolved by Burnham because.....
    .... And the less said about the truly truly AWFUL baddie, the better.

So I'll watch but my interest is certainly waning. Roll on Brave New Worlds, Picard and Lower Decks (And let's just abandon the campiness Discovery-style Section 31 series. It will NOT be the interesting DS9-style version)

I remember seeing Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull in cinemas: a full screening that night, and by chance I sat beside a guy for whom "neckbeard" was simply accurate. A total cliche of a nerd in appearance; and throughout the whole movie, he was positively vibrating with irritated energy, frequently bashing the arm-rest with frustration at whatever indignity he beheld on-screen. It was so distracting, I was in two minds about turning and telling him to stop but the few times I glanced he looked genuinely angry. I have vague recollections of a partner or girlfriend whispering calm. Now, I didn't think the movie was great either - but nor have I ever since thought it deserving of the ludicrous, outsized reaction it gets online on a frequent basis.

Do I have a point? Uh. Not really if I'm honest the above just made me think of that time in the cinema; I think there's some parallels to Discovery (and I've long since theorised that in our more secular society, humans are channelling all that zealotry previously reserved for religion into pop-culture instead) where nerd culture has adopted some whipping boys into which hatred gets focused. Not necessarily pointing fingers here like, just *waves hands vaguely* across the Internet's pop-culture spheres.

Discovery's bad, and contains some of the worst TV scriptwriting I've ever witnessed - and skims very close to the Hate Watch for me at times. But I can't actively, openly hate it with passion. Life's too short for one, and as much as I love Star Trek, it's not like this show is somehow degrading the series. It's arguably the low-point of its execution for the longest stretch of episodes across a season; whereas TNG has some definitive "Worst of Trek" moments, it was here and there. Even Discovery has had some good spots - and were I doing a spring clean of its cast, folk like Jet Reno would absolutely make the cut.

pixelburp wrote: »
    ..... folk like Jet Reno would absolutely make the cut.

Every one of the few lines she has is awesome. She would make the cut simply for "I dreamed I played with Prince... Weird"

Every one of the few lines she has is awesome. She would make the cut simply for "I dreamed I played with Prince... Weird"

Tig Notaro brings a totally different energy to the show that's sorely lacking. Not necessarily cynicism, but a workaday honesty. There's far, far too much earnestness in everything its cast does. Which again, speaks to the lack of talent and nuance in the writing team. Because to be fair, Trek IS about being set in an inclusive, empathic society where all humanity's best qualities persevered; but Discovery took that and put it into a constant stream of speeches, rather than actual actions by its cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Glad to see they finally are giving medical their own uniform colour, white. I mean You'd think even in the far future you'd need to be able to tell the difference between a doctor and a botanist at quick glance. Now to change either security or engineering/operations to another colour. I'm thinking perhaps tan for security, that way when working with the black uniform Section 33 they can be the black and.... Oh no wait, scratch that.

flazio wrote: »
    Glad to see they finally are giving medical their own uniform colour, white. I mean You'd think even in the far future you'd need to be able to tell the difference between a doctor and a botanist at quick glance. Now to change either security or engineering/operations to another colour. I'm thinking perhaps tan for security, that way when working with the black uniform Section 33 they can be the black and.... Oh no wait, scratch that.

In fairness, they had differentiated the divisions better before.

leonard-nimoy-as-captain-spock-and-deforest-kelley-as-dr-leonard-in-picture-id691253476?s=612x612

Wrath of Khan was also a great example of Engineering having their own functional uniform. Kind of wished they held onto that.

Hasn't Culber been wearing white since the series began?

TNG had the "trust me I'm a doctor" labcoat for Crusher (and Ogawa in alternate timelines).

One uniform I would like to have seen used more consistently is the TNG era utility uniform. It cropped up often enough in season one and two, mostly in engineering, and then only once in a while after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tig Notaro confirmed to return as Jett Reno, a slim shimmer of hope for season 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Looks like a turd and sounds like a turd. Looks like they have just lifted and repainted enterprise xindi series. The change in uniform thing is the lip service canon will get, what happened to the grey ones I wonder?

Advertisement