Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think you are banned for that cross-posting, Hermy. 😉

Seriously, it's great news and should have happened a very long time ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Urgh, I dipped a toe into that other thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Because I have such a fixed position on the subject it's good to hear the other side of the argument but it's hard to take some of those posters seriously, especially as, as far as I can gather, they are not directly affected by adoption themselves.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Any recommendations for some of the better 'Who Do You Think You Are?' episodes? I've never watched the show and there's a tonne of them out there.

• Advertisement

Oh wow! The whole of the just-aired season is very good.

You could go thematically - anyone with Irish ancestry/Jewish ancestry/war ancestors.

There's 2 seasons of RTE produced episodes and don't forget the American/Australian ones.

I just looked at the wikipedia page for ideas and these are the ones that stand out for me. I've marked ones that have Irish links with an asterisk.

Jeremy Paxman

Stephen Fry

Barbara Windsor*

Matthew Pinsent

Kim Cattrall

Dervla Kirwan *

Rupert Penry-Jones (married to Dervla Kirwan)

Brian Blessed

Danny Dyer

Boy George*

Judi Dench*

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Thanks. I was actually going to start with the Brian Blessed episode as he's always worth listening to.

I can't say that the list of names for the RTE series are all that appealing save for Ardal O'Hanlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Xander10

The recent Richard Osman one, is one of my favourites. Found it very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm annoyed that I missed the recent series, don't know if its still running. Out of Pinky's list my own memories are of Jeremy Paxman, Boy George and Judi Dench. The others are probably just as good but my memory of them is hazy. Don't ditch the Boy George one, it's very interesting.

I posted on Twitter asking people for their ideas. They've added

Patrick Stewart

Daniel Radcliffe

Billy Connolly

Patsy Kensit

Brendan O'Carroll

Martin Freeman

Rob Rinder

Josh Widdicombe (although anyone with knowledge of English history will know where it's going)

Boris Johnson (when he was just the Mayor of London)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

The episodes featuring Emma Willis and Liz Bonin are two I'd recommend.

Also, though I don't recall the details of the episode, I thought Daniel Radcliffe came across as such a nice chap in his of WDYTYA.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Oooh I DO remember the Boris Johnson one, how could I forget that one! Yep, I'd recommend that one all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Alan Cummings worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Sorry to butt in here, but a random question;

What relation am I to the grandchild of my granduncle? is it 2nd cousin?

Yes, that's right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The FMP TV ads currently are quite good (humorous rather than fact dense). The one hinting a non-paternal event has both the obvious joke and some extra relevance for those who've done a fair bit of genealogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Question for the mods:

My Irish Newspaper Archives sub has expired and, typically, I have someone I want to search for.

Is it okay to post in the Genealogy thread to ask someone with a subscription to check on my behalf?

Just incase it's against forum / INA rules?

I don't have a problem with you asking and someone doing it.

But we should be clear that it's probably against the T&Cs of all these subscription sites to do look-ups.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

If you're in Ireland , then some (all?) libraries have free access to the Irish Newspaper Archives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can do it tomorrow if nobody else can. PM me the details if nobody else gets back to you

(It is a personal account, I'm just out and won't check tonight!)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

I can help you if you want to send me the details.

Seriously?

I haven't come across this before, is it in-branch only or can it be done online?

I live right around the corner from our local library so this would be very handy (and save a few € too!)

In branch. Some also have other genealogy products - sometimes only in the main county library though. Look at your counties library website to see what they offer.

ancestry, FMP and rootsireland are or were all offered by some libraries. Proquest which has some other newspapers is also common enough

The Irish Times is another newspaper that some public libraries may provide access to.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

Not sure if it's the right place to mention this but Dr Jane Lyons died last week at her home in County Laois.

I didn't know her personally but I did provide her with some information to use on her website(s) a number of years ago and was a "Facebook friend" thereafter.

She did a huge volume of work in the area of gravestone recording and her site https://www.from-ireland.net/. remained free to everyone for their own use.

She mightn't have been a professional genealogist but she gave of her time freely and generously for no reward and helped many people in their search for their ancestry.

May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks so much for posting this. I was on her Y-IRL list for years and learned a great deal from her site and from people there. I also met her when she visited the US and had a lovely lunch with her. We were hoping she would move the group to io when Yahoo ended its hosting of such groups but I think the injury she suffered in a fall some years ago had made it all a bit much to keep up with.

She was a wonderful person and I am sorry to hear this news. Many will be saddened to learn of it. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

As L1011 says , it's in branch only. I know Cork County libraries have it, as that's where I am, but I think others do also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I also didn't know her personally but Jane was a very helpful, witty, considerate lady who helped hundreds if not thousands of people with her work.

She leaves a wonderful legacy.

Advertisement