Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyrrelstown review

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

richardjjd wrote: »
    Hi HotDudeLife. Yes I do. Have a look at post #22.

Where do you live?

Well that explains the outright denial, i knew it was vested interests and not sheer delusion.

See my post above.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    My mate is a city centre based Garda who lives in Tyrrellstown.

He describes to me an area of low level hassle and anti social behaviour, some houses over occupied, some irresponsible social tenants with casual vandalism and dumping. He can handle it and has handed out a few slaps but will sell up at the earliest opportunity he has financially to do so.

Translation:

The area is a kip i cannot wait to sell my property to the first greater fool that bids high enough for me to clear negative equity.

Don't be the fool OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@hotdudelife please keep it civil, moderate your tone a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭onform

Well that explains the outright denial, i knew it was vested interests and not sheer delusion.

See my post above.

Firstly, you're after accusing myself and at least one other poster to this thread of lying; not very civil on your part and also absolutely inaccurate. What gives you the right to make that claim? Does anything that does not exactly match your opinion immediately constitute a lie?

I don't think anyone was saying the area was or is perfect, we're not in a bubble here and Dublin 15 has many areas with similar issues to deal with.

As the mod said a few posts back, the op was looking for first hand verdicts from residents of the area. You've brought nothing other than your (very jaundiced) second hand opinions and links to shoddily written tabloid articles which simply do not add anything to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

See my post above.
    Says the person living on the south side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Enough said. OP. Head out, have a wander around - its the only way you’ll find out whether or not you’ll be able to call an area home.

And if you do read through this thread, you’ll see 2 or 3 people (and that’s all it is) repeatedly posting, referring to questionable websites (and even more questionable media outlets).

My experience is different. I lived in Tyrrelstown from 2003 until last year, when we moved 1km as we outgrew the house. We’re happy here, our children are happy too. The Tyrrelstown I know is one which has seen issues, but they’ve been addressed and the area is significantly different now, and even at its worse, the problems were limited to a few dodgy families who have since moved on. The Tyrrelstown I know is one with a pretty decent community spirit, some great schools and good sports and social opportunities for kids.

The two or three people who are exclusively focusing on the negatives don’t live here and are dependent on The Irish Sun and Liberal.ie - like websites with articles from years ago.

Like I said, suggest the best thing is to have a wander around and see what you think yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I don't live in ttown. I've no vested interest. It's not a bad place to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

miamee wrote: »
    Let's not forget OP is looking for information on living in Tyrrelstown, so can we get back on topic please?

don't buy there

there are still a lot of teenage gangs

drive around the place at night and see for yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

To the person asked I don't live there but a good friend does and I have stay on and off there over the last 8 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I lived there for about 5 years 2006-2011 and loved it. Big apartment and nice shops for groceries (superquinn and lidl were there when I was there). Plus a Chinese and a pub.

The only drawback imo was the time it took getting bus into town.

Since then I have rented my place out. I've had just three tenants in that time. First two stayed for two years each. The third has been there ever since then and absolutely loves the apartment and the area, I see them staying long term (longer than they are there already) tbh.

I was in Gazelle Boulevard. Never had any problems with teenagers. Did notice problems with some families near by, who did seem to be of non Irish/African descent who allowed their really little kids out at all times of the day on their own or just with the older kids - and I was always just really fearful that one of the smallies would get knocked down by a car.

There seemed to be a lot of renters from Europe - Italy and Poland etc - who were working in tech?? Is google or something nearby in the
    blanch industrial park??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Translation:

The area is a kip i cannot wait to sell my property to the first greater fool that bids high enough for me to clear negative equity.

Don't be the fool OP

I don't live there, I live in the rural area at the back of Clonee and Dunboyne and have never owned property other than my own home, because frankly I have more sense.

However, I'm a planning consultant by trade, so I do know poor design principles when I see them and Tyrrellstown has them in spades. In fact, a different friend of mine and his missus were looking at purchasing a 3-storey in TT way back in 2002 when the whole place was new and I counselled against it due to crap public realm design and really poor passive security generated by the warren of back lanes and dark corners inherent in the layout. He didn't take my advice and was one sorry bucko within a couple of years when anti-social behaviour began to grow around him and when the negative equity hit he took in 2008/9 was an order of magnitude higher than other areas, even other areas in Dublin 15.

To the OP, do what you want, but you are seeing better "value" in TT than other areas for a number of very obvious adverse reasons.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't live there, I live in the rural area at the back of Clonee and Dunboyne and have never owned property other than my own home, because frankly I have more sense.

However, I'm a planning consultant by trade, so I do know poor design principles when I see them and Tyrrellstown has them in spades. In fact, a different friend of mine and his missus were looking at purchasing a 3-storey in TT way back in 2002 when the whole place was new and I counselled against it due to crap public realm design and really poor passive security generated by the warren of back lanes and dark corners inherent in the layout. He didn't take my advice and was one sorry bucko within a couple of years when anti-social behaviour began to grow around him and when the negative equity hit he took in 2008/9 was an order of magnitude higher than other areas, even other areas in Dublin 15.

To the OP, do what you want, but you are seeing better "value" in TT than other areas for a number of very obvious adverse reasons.

Well said

Well said

You seem to be only looking for opinions that match your view on the matter and exclude the rest. That's fine, but I think this approach to the thread in general reflects more badly on boards.ie and Internet forums than it should on Tyrrelstown TBH. ie anyone with a keyboard can push and affirm a certain viewpoint for whatever reason. Your opinions and mine are just that; opinions. Mine is based on living in the area for 14 years. Yours on old, poor quality media reports and hearsay from other people who don't live there.

The lack of detail or context in the debate so far should be a real red flag here to the OP or anyone else reading it and the presence of a lot of 'a mate of mine bought there and his head fell off' type of evidence. Like a lot of things in life, a primary source of information is typically more useful.

There has been little added on the amenities such as the schools, the community centre, the large park etc. Or any discussions on the quality (or lack of build quality) of the houses, or the fact that there is the negative of management fees to consider.

As someone else mentioned, the area is really a collection of estates so probably would be more useful to discuss Mount Garrett and the pros and cons of living there in particular.

And here's another opinion, a more neutral view. The house that the OP is looking at will sell soon, or has been sold. Someone will live in it, and will hopefully live a long and happy life there. In many ways, you can be lucky or unlucky in any estate by living next to good or bad neighbours so it pays to research carefully on any house/home purchase.

Very naive

OK, I'm out. I've been called a lier and naive in the space of a few posts, and TBH am not one who is interested in getting drawn into pointless discussions with random people in the real world or the Internet. I'm going to have to agree with the poster who said earlier on that these threads act as a Bat Signal for some.

Advertisement