Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyrrelstown review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Very true, i find it quite bizarre even people who work there are so quick to defend the area with blatant lies.

If they had their way all articles that paint the area in it's realistic form would be removed from the internet, truly bizarre behavior to downplay all the criminality in the area, lie to OP and potentially convince OP to make a huge decision they would regret and perhaps ruin their financial and emotional life. My money is on these posters owning property in the area.

What's your connection to the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Very true, i find it quite bizarre even people who work there are so quick to defend the area with blatant lies.

If they had their way all articles that paint the area in it's realistic form would be removed from the internet, truly bizarre behavior to downplay all the criminality in the area, lie to OP and potentially convince OP to make a huge decision they would regret and perhaps ruin their financial and emotional life. My money is on these posters owning property in the area.

Seriously, you're full of ****e. No ifs or buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Just moved out of Tyrrelstown after renting there for 4 years. Only issue I had was with neighbours kids being annoying and them ignoring lockdown advice. But was all quiet at night time.

I never had any trouble and never felt intimidated using the shops or off license. I’ve walked through the estate at all hours of the night. They have a good community with some friendly people on their Facebook as well as annoying people that think they own the estate.

It’s such a normal estate and the shops are so handy being so close to them.

A mixed culture but I would say 40% Irish 30% African and 30% mixed European.

I do actually miss the area in some ways. The apartment I lived wasn’t the nicest but the area was fine.
    All in all. This area gets a really bad name I feel and it really isn’t a bad estate at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

Hurrache wrote: »
    Seriously, you're full of ****e. No ifs or buts.

I've stated facts and provided evidence, all you have provided is insults.

That is all you need to know OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I've stated facts and provided evidence, all you have provided is insults.

That is all you need to know OP

In fairness your evidence is websites like the liberal with a picture of a load of African guys which I never witnessed in my life living there for 4 years and also your link to Dublin gazette.

There was a woman murdered in fox rock in her home not too long ago.
    When did someone get murdered in their home in Tyrrelstown?

Those articles are click bait imo.
    Show me murders and robbed cars flying through the estate or videos of gangs wrecking the place.
    You won’t find any all you’ll find is a picture of a gang of lads at a sign being circulated for 4 years trying to generate fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ra0044 wrote: »
    They are not lying. Far from it and if you knew anything about the place other than the utter nonsense being spouted on here you wouldn't be pedalling this crap.

As someone who does live in Tyrrelstown and has done for 17 years and certainly someone who has been active in the residents associations and action groups in the area I have sat in on Garda area meetings aswell as D15 area groups. Tyrrelstown has no more and intact less issues than many areas in either Dublin 15 or other compatible areas.

I really struggle with understanding the negativety about the place. Maybe people don't like how ethnicly diverse the place is, it certainly isn't a typical Irish housing estate, is it that a good percentage are rentals ( many rented to health professionals amongst others ) . Yes there are social housing rentals in the estate but they are in virtually every other estate aswell.

Maybe the vocal people are the ones that didn't have a positive experience of the estate as crap seems to spread quicker than anything via social media.

What I will say is that instead of spouting a load of heresay and unsubstantiated rumour how about you get in your car and drive through estate. Have a look at the park, schools, the different areas of the estate and see for yourself.

To be honest, I have lived in Dublin 15 for 25 years and never had any reason to sit in on a Garda area meeting. The fact that you have says something, what exactly I am not sure, but at least it means that it is harder work to keep the area as safe as elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My mate is a city centre based Garda who lives in Tyrrellstown.

He describes to me an area of low level hassle and anti social behaviour, some houses over occupied, some irresponsible social tenants with casual vandalism and dumping. He can handle it and has handed out a few slaps but will sell up at the earliest opportunity he has financially to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi all,

I am looking to buy in Mount Garrett and wanted to have feedback from people living in the area

I know already about the usual issues teenagers, littering etc but other than that is it a safe place to live in ?

Thanks in advance

High rental , low owner occupier there. I would look at Waterville or far side of Blanch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-80gWsLbfxA

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

The place is a ghetto, avoid like the plague

Quote: HotDudeLife
    Avoid like the plague

Hmmm, you guys do have a very similar turn of phrase to match your almost identical opinions. I wonder do you have matching IP addresses?

Anyway, Tyrrelstown is far from a ghetto and to describe it as such is extremely disrespectful to the people who reside there. In the comparison to other locations to buy a house in Dublin 15, it has its own advantages (Good schools, bus service) and disadvantages (On airport flight path, high density) . I'd advise the OP to listen to the opinions of people living there who have posted and obviously do their own careful research. But don't be swayed too much by those who think posting a few links from Google is relevant when what you asked for was actual opinions from residents (And using that rag 'The S*n' as a reliable source of information? Come off it...).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Anyone defending the area
    Is there a problem with African youth gangs in the area yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

Teen terror gangs

Locals also said they were unhappy with Fingal County Council for housing a "disproportionate number" of anti-social elements in the one area.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tyrrelstown-residents-fight-back-against-12958624

salamiii wrote: »
    Teen terror gangs

Locals also said they were unhappy with Fingal County Council for housing a "disproportionate number" of anti-social elements in the one area.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tyrrelstown-residents-fight-back-against-12958624

That article is from 2017,and there certainly was a problem with a small number of individuals at that time who have since moved out of the area. I would agree with that Fingal housing were largely responsible for creating the problem by housing too many of their 'problem' tenants in the area, similar issue to what's happened to Balbriggan but on a much smaller scale. Hopefully they've learned something from that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

sasta le wrote: »
    Anyone defending the area
    Is there a problem with African youth gangs in the area yes or no?

No.

There was a problem, but it was (finally) addressed by Fingal a number of years ago and there isn't a problem any more (or at least no more of a problem than you'd experience in any large housing estate).

kravmaga wrote: »

And as Kravmaga points out, there's an active cultural and musical scene as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

blanch152 wrote: »
    To be honest, I have lived in Dublin 15 for 25 years and never had any reason to sit in on a Garda area meeting. The fact that you have says something, what exactly I am not sure, but at least it means that it is harder work to keep the area as safe as elsewhere.

This is one of the most bizarre and ill informed statements a person could make. I have lived in lots of areas and generally the better the area the more active people are in Garda and Neighborhood watch groups. If you have never engaged in this sort of meeting or group you really should give it a try. Far better than judging an area from Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

kravmaga wrote: »
    High rental , low owner occupier there. I would look at Waterville or far side of Blanch.

waterville is really nice too but costs c1.5 to 2 times as much per square foot. The shopping and school options in Waterville would not be as good or varied as tyrrelstown but it has better public transport.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Let's not forget OP is looking for information on living in Tyrrelstown, so can we get back on topic please?

richardjjd wrote: »
    No.

There was a problem, but it was (finally) addressed by Fingal a number of years ago and there isn't a problem any more (or at least no more of a problem than you'd experience in any large housing estate).

BS it's worse now than it ever was, why are you lying to the OP and encouraging them to make a huge mistake.

Do you own property in the area, yes or no.

BS it's worse now than it ever was, why are you lying to the OP and encouraging them to make a huge mistake.

Do you own property in the area, yes or no.

Hi HotDudeLife. Yes I do. Have a look at post #22.

Where do you live?

onform wrote: »
    That article is from 2017,and there certainly was a problem with a small number of individuals at that time who have since moved out of the area. I would agree with that Fingal housing were largely responsible for creating the problem by housing too many of their 'problem' tenants in the area, similar issue to what's happened to Balbriggan but on a much smaller scale. Hopefully they've learned something from that experience.

Jesus wept, so dozens upon dozens of gang members had a divine intervention and just decided to move out? You are blatantly lying to the OP and you know it.

OP, these gangs have been running rampant since around 2009-present, it reached a boiling point in mid 2010s when vigilantes had to step up as Garda were doing nothing, after this gang activity subsided but slowly but surely returned to it's baseline (if not worse). You will see evidence of this in articles from 2018 (albeit not much online as the media don't like reporting these issues).

I am giving you this advice OP as someone who was born in Huntstown Dublin 15 just when the whole of Blanch was getting started, i know all the areas like the back of my hand. I have since moved to South Dublin but all my family are still there.

What annoys me the most is people getting shafted and purchasing property in Tyyrelstown, it had so much potential but due to social housing and reckless governance it is ruined and will be one of Irelands worst ghettos in 10 years mark my words. On the outside it may seem pretty as some of the houses are built ok and once a few pictures are thrown on Daft/Myhome from a nice day it can look appealing to those unaware but please believe me there is a reason they are cheaper (should be much cheaper) than other similar properties in Dublin 15. It is rotten to the core and i would never dream of bringing a child up in that area, serious crime/racial issues ahead of it.

• Advertisement

richardjjd wrote: »
    Hi HotDudeLife. Yes I do. Have a look at post #22.

Where do you live?

Well that explains the outright denial, i knew it was vested interests and not sheer delusion.

See my post above.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    My mate is a city centre based Garda who lives in Tyrrellstown.

He describes to me an area of low level hassle and anti social behaviour, some houses over occupied, some irresponsible social tenants with casual vandalism and dumping. He can handle it and has handed out a few slaps but will sell up at the earliest opportunity he has financially to do so.

Translation:

The area is a kip i cannot wait to sell my property to the first greater fool that bids high enough for me to clear negative equity.

Don't be the fool OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@hotdudelife please keep it civil, moderate your tone a bit

Well that explains the outright denial, i knew it was vested interests and not sheer delusion.

See my post above.

Firstly, you're after accusing myself and at least one other poster to this thread of lying; not very civil on your part and also absolutely inaccurate. What gives you the right to make that claim? Does anything that does not exactly match your opinion immediately constitute a lie?

I don't think anyone was saying the area was or is perfect, we're not in a bubble here and Dublin 15 has many areas with similar issues to deal with.

As the mod said a few posts back, the op was looking for first hand verdicts from residents of the area. You've brought nothing other than your (very jaundiced) second hand opinions and links to shoddily written tabloid articles which simply do not add anything to the thread.

See my post above.
    Says the person living on the south side.

Enough said. OP. Head out, have a wander around - its the only way you’ll find out whether or not you’ll be able to call an area home.

And if you do read through this thread, you’ll see 2 or 3 people (and that’s all it is) repeatedly posting, referring to questionable websites (and even more questionable media outlets).

My experience is different. I lived in Tyrrelstown from 2003 until last year, when we moved 1km as we outgrew the house. We’re happy here, our children are happy too. The Tyrrelstown I know is one which has seen issues, but they’ve been addressed and the area is significantly different now, and even at its worse, the problems were limited to a few dodgy families who have since moved on. The Tyrrelstown I know is one with a pretty decent community spirit, some great schools and good sports and social opportunities for kids.

The two or three people who are exclusively focusing on the negatives don’t live here and are dependent on The Irish Sun and Liberal.ie - like websites with articles from years ago.

Like I said, suggest the best thing is to have a wander around and see what you think yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I don't live in ttown. I've no vested interest. It's not a bad place to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

miamee wrote: »
    Let's not forget OP is looking for information on living in Tyrrelstown, so can we get back on topic please?

don't buy there

there are still a lot of teenage gangs

drive around the place at night and see for yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

To the person asked I don't live there but a good friend does and I have stay on and off there over the last 8 years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I lived there for about 5 years 2006-2011 and loved it. Big apartment and nice shops for groceries (superquinn and lidl were there when I was there). Plus a Chinese and a pub.

The only drawback imo was the time it took getting bus into town.

Since then I have rented my place out. I've had just three tenants in that time. First two stayed for two years each. The third has been there ever since then and absolutely loves the apartment and the area, I see them staying long term (longer than they are there already) tbh.

I was in Gazelle Boulevard. Never had any problems with teenagers. Did notice problems with some families near by, who did seem to be of non Irish/African descent who allowed their really little kids out at all times of the day on their own or just with the older kids - and I was always just really fearful that one of the smallies would get knocked down by a car.

There seemed to be a lot of renters from Europe - Italy and Poland etc - who were working in tech?? Is google or something nearby in the
    blanch industrial park??

Advertisement