Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Small update on the new series; apparently the post-production team are now working from home given everything; it may mean a temporary delay for when Season 3 will be released - though there's no specifics beyond that. Given Picard finishes this Friday, I'd say it might be May minimum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

May would be very ambitious even before the Covid-19 pandemic I would say it would have been June at the earliest and according to this,

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2493047/star-trek-discovery-season-3-is-also-facing-delays-but-its-not-all-bad

It could be the Autumn or even early 2021 before season 3 of Discovery is out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm yeah May's probably a little unlikely all right, though the absence of ANY kind of release date - even a tentative one - has been weird. They really have been keeping a lid on this one. No news of any production issues though, which is a nice chance of pace with Discovery :D

Ms

I agree it is very weird the way they had no release date announced. Its like they decided to not bother releasing one until they were sure of it. Under the current circumstances now do in the world any release date might have been wrong anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I agree it is very weird the way they had no release date announced. Its like they decided to not bother releasing one until they were sure of it. Under the current circumstances now do in the world any release date might have been wrong anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Hopefully they have all the acting parts done and all that's left is the editing work, special effect's etc, that might be able to do done remotely. Failing that they'll just have to erect a force field around themselves to get it done.

Ms

AllForIt wrote: »
    Hopefully they have all the acting parts done and all that's left is the editing work, special effect's etc, that might be able to do done remotely. Failing that they'll just have to erect a force field around themselves to get it done.

All the acting is done as far as I know. If not then there would not be a hope of this being released before the pandemic ends.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The shorts have Pike in them ? Is the Enterprise still somehow involved??

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The shorts have Pike in them ? Is the Enterprise still somehow involved??

The sets were already built and I guess the cast free enough. Wouldn't have been hard to shoot some episodes

There's no sign of season 3 featuring Pike, as the Disco is in the far far future. It is rumoured the next new series is to feature Pike, titles "Strange New Worlds"

pixelburp wrote: »
    The sets were already built and I guess the cast free enough. Wouldn't have been hard to shoot some episodes

There's no sign of season 3 featuring Pike, as the Disco is in the far far future. It is rumoured the next new series is to feature Pike, titles "Strange New Worlds"
    We know what happens to Pike so what's the point unless they go alternative timelines like the rebooted star trek films?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well all the characters are going to die some day so what's the point of any series?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

Bobtheman wrote: »
    We know what happens to Pike so what's the point unless they go alternative timelines like the rebooted star trek films?

I think Pike was a Commodore when he had his accident. I might be remembering wrong, but I think Pike's time on the Enterprise ended with him handing the ship over to Kirk upon his promotion.

There's plenty of potential there to try an recapture the sense of exploring a vast and unknown expanse. Make space look big again, which is something modern Trek kind of dropped over time (Discovery included).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Stark wrote: »
    Well all the characters are going to die some day so what's the point of any series?

Some of them cant as they appear later in Canon, such as Pike & Spock.

Not sure about Una, Doc or the original Pike crew from TOS

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Last episode of Picard had a tiny promo saying coming soon...was this added in a while ago, seems a bit silly to leave it in if it's likely to be a long way away

Some of them cant as they appear later in Canon, such as Pike & Spock.

Not sure about Una, Doc or the original Pike crew from TOS

I think there's more goodwill towards the idea of this, simply because Season 2 showed a Pike who was charismatic, likeable and very much in keeping with that TOS spirit. Ditto Spock and "Number 1". I'd imagine had this been announced without that existing presence people wouldn't be so excited.
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Last episode of Picard had a tiny promo saying coming soon...was this added in a while ago, seems a bit silly to leave it in if it's likely to be a long way away

Was there any new footage, or was it just the trailer already released months ago (though now I'm wondering if it ever actually was official)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Was there any new footage, or was it just the trailer already released months ago (though now I'm wondering if it ever actually was official)

It was new, I think, but no footage really. Just a promo.

Here if you want to see it:

Doesn't fill me with much confidence so far anyway.

Really hope the Pike show goes back to a more episodic format. I'd say this – Captain Pike, Enterprise, TOS timeline – is the best chance we have for that, and the rumoured title "Strange New Worlds" would lend itself well to strange-new-world-of-the-week type stories. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Inviere

Goodshape wrote: »
    Doesn't fill me with much confidence so far anyway.

My faith in the show is all but drained at this point. There's been too many arcs and reboots in too short a time/too few episodes (coupled with it being the Michael Burnham show - a character I like, but jesus not at the expense of everyone else's development). The teaser there just says to me "You've seen Michael Burnham save the Federation in the past, now, watch her save it in the future!" Yawn. I've fallen behind with Picard lately (I'm see up to ep 6), but for me anyway, it totally and utterly wipes the floor with Discovery - which is a shame, it had a lot of potential early on.

Ack, sure that's barely a promotion. A 15 second hero pose, less a trailer and more of a ... I dunno. Banner advert really.

Ack, sure that's barely a promotion. A 15 second hero pose, less a trailer and more of a ... I dunno. Banner advert really.

Its the whole, Burnham rebuilds the Federation from the ashes promo, which this season is about. Unless im totally wrong.

Ms

Actually when I seen that at the beginning of Picard I though awe its just showing the Android Gods or whatever again and then it said that. I agree its basically just a poster and if Discovery season 3 is just all about how great Micheal Burnham is again then I too will stop watching it.

I am actually looking forward to the New Captain Pike and the Enterprise show more and its further away.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Its the whole, Burnham rebuilds the Federation from the ashes promo, which this season is about. Unless im totally wrong.

To be fair, this could be the one season where Burnham's central position in the story makes the most sense. With the Federation gone, then it stands to reason it'd fall on Discovery-Burnham to pick up the mantle of torchbearer. Had no great grá for Season 1 and 2 putting her at the centre of the universe, but here it will actually work given it's evidently riffing on Andromeda.

When exactly is Discovery 3 starting?

This is the one we all want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,723 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is the one we all want.

We thought that about Picard too, and well...

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Maybe the Pike show......

Picard was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Inviere

Picard for me has been the most 'Star Trek' thing on tv in 15 years.

Picard may have shàt the bed with its ending (what is it about modern shows they keeping fluffing the finale, maybe it's just me), but it has felt Of The Universe to me.

Anyway, Discovery season 3. There's plenty of threads for Picard. Wonder what the arc will be: a vague "unite the planets again" or another McGuffin. The former would be fun, the Disco visiting various homeworks and solving the locals' problems while getting them to rejoin the Federation. It would thread the needle between episodic planet hopping and serialised plot.

Inviere wrote: »
    Picard for me has been the most 'Star Trek' thing on tv in 15 years.

It had some very good episodes. And some terrible ones, particularly the finale.

It does remind me abit of season one of TNG :D

I think next season will be a lot stronger and fan opinions will be listened too. Sure apparently some of the screen writers actually read the Reddit threads on the episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

Anyway, Discovery season 3. There's plenty of threads for Picard. Wonder what the arc will be: a vague "unite the planets again" or another McGuffin. The former would be fun, the Disco visiting various homeworks and solving the locals' problems while getting them to rejoin the Federation. It would thread the needle between episodic planet hopping and serialised plot.

Sounds a lot like that other Roddenberry creation "Andromeda".
    A ship out of it's own time, trying to piece together the System Commonwealth Federation.

Never really cared too much about Andromeda back in the day...but maybe maybe they manage it in Discovery. As long as they make it a genuine team-effort style story and not just Micheal being the "Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force" again...because I can't stand that nonsense anymore.

Advertisement