Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The previous set of Short Treks all figured into the next Discovery season, including Calypso it seems. Are the tribbles the cause of the federation collapse in season 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Spear wrote: »
    The previous set of Short Treks all figured into the next Discovery season, including Calypso it seems. Are the tribbles the cause of the federation collapse in season 3?

I was going to say how could they the Klingons wiped them all out then I remembered something else and thought ok ye maybe. Still can not see how they would do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

AMKC wrote: »
    I was going to say how could they the Klingons wiped them all out then I remembered something else and thought ok ye maybe. Still can not see how they would do.
    Tribbles infest a number of Federation worlds and their rampant breeding creates a dense enough mass of tribbles to collapse into black holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I haven't watched the new shorts yet but it does seem strange that at least the first one focused on The Enterprise..... I wonder are they testing the reaction? Because if they are: "Stopit. Give us!!!!!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't watched the new shorts yet but it does seem strange that at least the first one focused on The Enterprise..... I wonder are they testing the reaction? Because if they are: "Stopit. Give us!!!!!"

Certainly getting the actors back would have been tricky, but presumably the fact they had a bunch of Enterprise sets already built & sitting around idle was the main driver. I don't think the second episode was set on the Enterprise, was it an obviously redressed Enterprise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd say they were redressed sets, yeah. From both Enterprise and also Discovery with brighter more colorful lighting. Looked nice :)

Tribbles episode was good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't see the point of the latest Short Trek - added nothing, over before it began (
    but AM again...is it a teaser for a new show...
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's what I was about to say. They've put a lot of effort into these things for one-offs.
    But the previous series of Short Treks were pretty well done as well. 2 of them tied into season 2, or was it more?
    I did guess this one
    was a test
    . But I liked it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Last years tied into the finale, in the worst possible way: basically if you hadn't seen a random 15 minute webisode via Netflix, Tilly's 11th hour "oh my good friend is a queen on a planet that mines Mcguffinanium" was even more baffling and arbitrary. If that were possible. I knew who she was and still found it bloody awful writing.

So keeping the shorts separated from the main series would be a better move - even if it reignites the clamour for a Pine-Enterprise spin off.

pixelburp wrote: »
    So keeping the shorts separated from the main series would be a better move - even if it reignites the clamour for a Pine-Enterprise spin off.

Aye but what was the point of this latest short? Added nothing, no story there. The actress has already said it was a one off for her.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Tilly's episode and Saru's episode were the ones that tied in.

When I saw the trailer for the next Short Trek I initially thought
    it was a trailer for the Lower Decks animated series

I hadn't realised the Short Treks were still going, as I'm reading the next two will be animated; had forgot to check out the ones already broadcast but definitely curious now. First Trek cartoons since the 60s!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So Burnham is still the centre of the universe and still as wooden as ever.

Federation flag looks to have a lot less members (unless this is deliberately different).

Still looks to be carrying the same flaws as previous seasons. At least Picard seems to be doing things right

Interesting ? I think she was meant to be reserved having been raised on Vulcan. Im not sure if it's fair to call her wooden

It's a fair punt to guess that season 3 is set in a post Federation world, and that the flag we saw was a version from that period of downfall, when presumably members left. I'm still guessing that location is some shrine or museum, and the fellow a hologram curator.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a fair punt to guess that season 3 is set in a post Federation world, and that the flag we saw was a version from that period of downfall, when presumably members left. I'm still guessing that location is some shrine or museum, and the fellow a hologram curator.
    I'm not sure the stars on the flag directly correspond to member worlds/races, there's only 3 big and 70 something small stars which seems a little on the low side.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    I'm not sure the stars on the flag directly correspond to member worlds/races, there's only 3 big and 70 something small stars which seems a little on the low side.

Especially as Kirk said there are thosands of worlds and more being added every day. Maybe he was excaturating a bit.
    Maybe they are for the amount od solar systems in the Federation. So it could be 3 big solar systems ie Sol System and 70 small ones ie Andoran system or the Tellerite system in the Milky Way Galaxy that are in the Federation. I think that could make sense.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Especially as Kirk said there are thosands of worlds and more being added every day. Maybe he was excaturating a bit.
    Maybe they are for the amount od solar systems in the Federation. So it could be 3 big solar systems ie Sol System and 70 small ones ie Andoran system or the Tellerite system in the Milky Way Galaxy that are in the Federation. I think that could make sense.

Sounds like exaggeration on Kirk's part there :)

Most of the canon seems to accept the Federation being about ~150 member worlds/species. With each species have multiple colony planets, that would mean the total number of planets in the Federation would be in the 4 figure territory. I guess if you include worlds that are part of member world territory but haven't been terraformed, that figure gets bigger. But still not in the growing by thousands per day range.

Apparently the 3 big stars correspond to Earth, Vulcan and Andoria https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Flag_of_the_Federation

Or the big three (four) founder governments and 70 odd other ones that might have included smaller preexisting multi-species alliances to get the number up to 150 or so species and thousands of worlds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

so we're saying i will have to actually watch the short treks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

bluewolf wrote: »
    so we're saying i will have to actually watch the short treks

I binged them all just before season 2 the last time.. there was a hint of what was coming in season 3

• Advertisement

The tardigrade animated one was actually fun (the other not surprisingly)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

rewatched season 2 over the last couple of weeks, much better viewing for me 2nd time round.

Having not followed the series news as I plan on watching anyway, was the latest Short Trek (Children of Mars) the setup for
    the Picard series or was it just standalone? Don't think I've heard of the Synths or seen their ships before
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Having not followed the series news as I plan on watching anyway, was the latest Short Trek (Children of Mars) the setup for
    the Picard series or was it just standalone? Don't think I've heard of the Synths or seen their ships before
    ?

From the Picard trailers and what (little) has been said of the plot, I'd be fairly certain that the events of Children of Mars will be referenced, or have made an impact at least.

Picard is set quite a few years later, though.

There is a connection and lead in to Picard

Has there been a release date for this yet? I'm guessing sometime after Picard finishes, as to not overlap or interrupt each others hype.

Nope, "First Half 2020" is as good as I can find. That's after clicking on a clickbait article published in the last 3 days saying "release date leaked by [CAST] Members" (sic) :rolleyes:

Pushed back anyway, fairly sure it was already broadcasting last year (if not finished, or at least close to?).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I doubt we'll see season 3 until April or so.

CBS want to push their streaming platform, and they've already shown they're eager to use the Star Trek franchise to do so. So it's not going to run concurrent with Picard, so as to string out subscriber times. And with 10 episodes in Picard, it doesn't end until late March. With a few weeks gap, I'd say late April is most likely.

Advertisement